416 S. Main Street
Davidson, NC 28036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.campaniacafe.com/home
- Phone: (704) 987-5111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Vincent DiGiorgio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer on site and off site catering. We can provide as much or as little as you would like (pick up or delivery with setup and full staff for your event).
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is the perfect setting for you private function, with exposed brick walls, benches with cushions and seating for up to 50 people. The ice house hoist is displayed under an exposed beam ceiling. The dining room also comes with a wine bar to serve your party. Enjoy one of our hand selected Italian white or red wines or a sparkling Prosecco while mingling during your cocktail hour.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy DiGiorgio 7049875111
- Entertainment: Party on the Porch is from May to September! Enjoy Live entertainment! Our covered front porch is the perfect place to enjoy live music in the warm months, with a nice breeze under fans. 6:30pm - 9pm, every Friday night, (weather permitting)
A word from Campania Cafe
Campania Italian Café & Trattoria features authentic Italian cuisine in a casual elegant dining atmosphere. The dining room setting is warm & inviting with rustic brick walls and the original Ice House Hoist is displayed under exposed beams. Lunch is served daily, Monday through Friday, offering panini sandwiches, fresh salads, homemade soups, pasta dishes and daily specials. Dinner is served beginning at 5pm in the dining room. The trattoria seasonal dinner menu includes appetizers, authentic pasta dishes and veal & chicken entrees, as well as excellent seafood specials. Bakery goods, Italian cakes, cookies and pastries, and espresso bar are available. The dining room can host large parties and private events. Catering is also available off site or carry out. Campania is proud to be a part of Davidson’s South Main Street Arts district, located in the well-known “Ice House”, the former site of the historical Davidson Ice & Fuel Plant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Campania Cafe - Best Restaurants in Davidson ›
Campania Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)romantic (29)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (21)good for groups (11)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- cold food, unorganized kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014party of four, food came out, minus one dinner. Waiter said the food was given to another table, hold on I'll bring you some pasta. 2 dinners were hot, one was actually cold, the other showed up very late and was overcooked. Believe it or not, even the "pacifier" pasta was cold. An unorganized kitchen. Waiter said he would take an uneaten meal off the bill. When the bill came he didn't; we just paid it and left.
- Good restaurant - just one complaint.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/18/2014The food was very good here although I do wish the $5 salad misto had more to it. It's rather skimpy. Our server was excellant! We had a specific dietary request that she was more than happy to accomadate and she was very attentive as well. My only real complaint is the seating here. No booths at all and the place we did choose to sit was very uncomfortable. My dining partner had to roll up her coat to add cushion on her seat as well as to raise her high enough, (and she's not a short person!). For a fine dining place, this is not acceptable in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed1Dined on 11/15/2014Was looking forward to the experience from the reviews. The server was very abrupt - rushed the order and the food, not that friendly. The food was very mediocre. It came out so fast and wasn't piping hot. It almost seemed like it had been sitting and microwaved. Apple crisp dessert was the worst! It looked like an apple danish- no ice cream on top or whip cream. I may at some time give it another chance. Liked the historic building. Would not take anyone there or recommend it. We had an appetizer and bottle of wine, dessert and were out in an hour. That is how rushed we were.
- Great food & ServiceMichaelDined on 11/15/2014Good Italian menu with some interesting options. Service was excellent. We'll go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration DestinationklbsmDined on 11/11/2014We have celebrated our daughter's birthday here since they opened! Campania is her favorite restaurant. Tuesday night we celebrated her 18th birthday with delicious, authentic Italian food! Campania has also supported the FIGHT THE FLAME 5k to benefit people with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy(such as myself)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be BetterdymicheleVIPDined on 11/8/2014This was my favorite place, but our last experience fell very short.. Too many tables in the small room, we were pushed against other people. I was very upset about my entree, Butternut Squash Ravioli (order it everytime). Everyone had a large portion, but for some reason I got 7 small raviolis. I asked the server, and he said they changed their recipe. Everyone else at the table had shared their meal because I paid $17 for 7 small raviolis, better descriped as a child's portion. The worst part, our server dropped the check off during our coffee. We were not offered dessert, and when we asked he was a little rude about it. I used to love this place, but I don't know that I will be going again after leaving hungry.Special Features:
- Excellent vegetarian dinnerVeggiesNowDined on 11/7/2014Campania Cafe's dinner menu offered at least four choices for vegetarians and would adjust other menu items if asked. I enjoyed the grilled romaine and gorgonzola salad and butternut squash ravioli with kale and mushrooms in cream sauce while my husband had the mesclun and chickpeas salad and Eggplant parmigiana - all were freshly and expertly prepared and we had one of the best Italian meals to be found in the area. We enjoyed our dinner so much we returned the next evening!Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD-Service BELOW AVERAGE!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Campania Cafe is One of Our Most Favorite Places to Dine Out !! But On This Night, We Invited Some Friends That Just Bought a House on Lake Norman and the Service Was The Worst Ever There....EMBARRASSING !!! Reservations at 7pm, Manager Left Early!!! REALLY ... So We Had No-One to Complain too or Find Out Why We Never Got Our Food !! We Had to Chase Down the Staff... All Up Front Hanging Out... We Were the Last Ones in The Restaurant... Appetizers Long Gone and At This Time We Were Out of Our Bottle of Wine... We Didn't Even Leave Until After Way After Closing. Not Even A Sorry From The Kitchen!!!!!!Special Features:
- CampaniaQueensandNCDined on 10/30/2014Food and drinks are consistently good. Bread in Charlotte is not good, but here it is always good, hot and fresh. Risotto could have been creamier.
- First timersNCshoegirlDined on 10/29/2014We decided to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary at Campania. We found the food, service and ambiance all good. The lights were a little bright at first, but we requested they dim them, and they happily obliged. We ordered the chicken marsala, which was a nice sized plate. We were a little disappointed that the salads are all ala carte. Pushed the bill up. Overall, we will return, but wouldn't make it a mainstay for Saturday nights.Special Features:
- Pleasant & DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Staff was very nice, food was delicious, options were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian food in DavidsondrewDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I started by splitting the Cuore Romana, a fresh Romaine salad that is full of Gorgonzola, pancetta, and tomatoes that tasted like they had just come right off of the vine. My wife and I then ordered and shared the Costoletta alla Griglia, a grilled pork chop with a bourbon sauce with caramelized fennel and apples slices. The pork was great when you ate it simultaneously with the fennel and apples. We also ordered the Cavatelli e broccoletti, a dish with ricotta pasta, sweet Italian sausage, and broccoli rabe (thin little broccoli pieces). The Cavatelli dish was light and the sausage was very tasty. the only warning we have it to not fill up on bread.Special Features:
- really good!jmfitzzVIPDined on 10/23/2014Very nice atmosphere and really good food. I'm sure we will be back. Portions were huge! maybe a little too big... Nice bar area for a drink before dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Four of us dined and three of us truly enjoyed their meal. The fourth meal was served with a side of pasta which was less than luke warm. The rest of the experience was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Some good, some not so goodluvitalianDined on 10/18/2014Love this restaurant, but our last dining experience there was not quite up to their normal excellence. My dinner special was so-so at best. But my husband's meal was excellent. However, the waitress did ask (albeit at the end of the meal) and if she could box the rest of my food for me. I told her, no thank you, I did not care for it and she was wise enough to get the manager involved. He gave us 1/2 off the meal and free dessert. The Chocolate torte MORE than made up for my so-so dinner special. And the merlot that we chose was excellent. So we'll be back.Special Features:
- Great local Italian foodMjm2002mswDined on 10/17/2014Husband and I visited with another couple and food was wonderful! Fresh, flavorful, arrived at our table hot and presented well. Fresh bread is delicious, lasagna portion is HUGE and 2 of us had enough food for left-overs. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLuvMyLatte2Dined on 10/4/2014The service was poor, we had to ask for bread 3 times before finally getting it. We were a party of 4 and when our appetizers came out, one of ours was missing. We were told 3 times that it was coming and it never did! So 3 of us ate and one did not, he was so upset, he cancelled his appetizer since we were all done with ours! We were never offered more bread and had to flag down the waiter for more drinks since he never came to see if we needed more. When dinner finally came, all our meals did not come out at once. To top it off, the owner or manager never even came to our table to apologize. Unfortunately, Campania was a lose, lose in all regards. We will not return.
- Lovely, cozy, good foodcharlotteansDined on 9/27/2014We had only visited this restaurant once and had forgotten how good the food and atmosphere are until this visit. Good selection of entrees and food much like we have had in Italy. I had the Butternut Squash Ravioli which was so good I want to try to make this myself! Brick interior makes this a warm, cozy place to have dinner. I called ahead to see if we could bring our own bottles of wine and they called me back promptly to explain we could for a very reasonable corkage fee. This is a gem, conveniently located in one of Davidson's historic buildings.Special Features:
- Great little spotMotherMoonDined on 9/23/2014This was my first visit to Campania and enjoyed it very much. The veal special my husband ordered was awesome. Restaurant missed 5 stars for me as my veal scallopine was a tad tough. But overall a very good experience. Owner even stopped by the table to welcome us. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughPerpetualdieterDined on 9/20/2014Based on the review, we expected a better experience than we had. Nothing was bad or wrong. Just average. The service was pretty good. We ordered Arancini for appetizer and Eggplant Parm, Chicken Marsala, and Cavatelli for entree. Arancini was crisp on the outside and rich flavor inside. The sauce for it was good, too. All entree dishes are good: pasta was just al dente, beans were not overcooked, salad was served with just right amount of dressing, and chicken was tender. But nothing really stood out. We had the same dishes at the very similar prices that are a lot better elsewhere. We may visit this restaurant again, but this won't be our "to-go" restaurant.
- Neighborhood GemMimiDined on 9/12/2014We have been to Campanis many times and each time the food is outstanding. Nthe tortellini with the creamy pesto sauce and roasted red pepper is one of their signature dishes. My favorite side is the grilled romaine salad. My husband loves their eggplant dishes along with the calamari appetizer. Have not had one bad experience there. Staff is attentive and on weekends the music is great. Don't pass this one up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service... wasn'tCoryB2679Dined on 9/12/2014We were given water, then the waiter disappeared for a good 20 minutes. 2 empty water glasses, no bread. He finally comes back and takes our order, brings bread, finally get our glasses refilled. Didn't see him again for 15 min (empty glasses, empty bread basket). When he finally shows up, he doesn't have water or appetizer. 4 parties were sat after us, all 4 already had entrees. He went back to check and said shortly, so we asked for more bread and water. We got more water, never got bread. Apps came 10 min later, and entrees didn't come till 15 min after the App was gone. The food was really good (good portion size, good tastes), but the service was not. We complained to the waiter, but no manager EVER came over to check on us.Special Features:
- not impressedLovingLifeDined on 9/9/2014For the price I expected better service and better food. Both entrees were mediocre at best and dessert was especially disappointing. Will not be back.
- RangerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Campania has a very nice, intimate atmosphere, suitable for couples or families. Everything my family ordered was very good and the service was outstanding. There is a decent selection of pasta dishes and a few very nice chef's specialties, but the menu is a little light on variety of dishes that feature fish or seafood. They do offer salmon and a dish akin to Paella. I will say that food and drinks seemed a bit overpriced compared to other similar restaurants I have frequented, but overall, we were pleased and found it to be an enjoyable dining experience in a quaint local establishment. I would recommend this restaurant to friends for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Det1stDined on 9/4/2014Meeting the owners Nancy & Vinny were a pleasure, these people really care not only about business but about perfection.Both my wife and I are from NYC and Phil originally and are both of Italian decent and families in the restaurant business. This place is GREAT, GREAT FOOD, GREAT SERVICE AS WELL AS TWO OWNERS WHO REALLY CARE IF THE CUSTOMER IS SATISFIED. Do youself a favor while in the Charlotte or Davidson area make it a point you will not be sorry. Thanks again Sharon & Tom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem of a restaurantMel725Dined on 8/27/2014Adorable restaurant, love the atmosphere!! But more than anything the food was great!! I will be back and I have already told many friends about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeTuscanfdlvrDined on 8/16/2014Good place for a nice dinner. Appetizers quite good, but main courses a bit heavy on garlic. Wine great and so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!goodeatsDined on 8/15/2014We had a party of 7 on a Friday night -- arrived at 7:30pm, had made reservations online which was SO easy -- the restaurant did not seem too busy -- we were brought straight to our table, didn't have to wait for anything at that point -- the food was FANTASTIC! Our waiter came to the table three times for various reasons before offering to take our orders -- but it took around 45 minutes to get our food after we had ordered it -- which seemed a bit long, especially since we only got one basket of rolls once, to split between 7 of us -- I'm not sure we would have noticed the wait if we were actually snacking on something -- but the food made up for the wait, because it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaz1ckDined on 8/11/2014Food was good but overshadowed by poor service. Went there with a party of five. Three of the appetizers were served with the remaining two served ten minutes later. Waitress poured the wine and spilled droplets on the table and plates. When ordering dessert we asked for the flowerless cake. The waitress said she would check to see if there was any and later came back with all the other desserts. When asked for the cake, only then she told us there was none. This was the second time I went to this restaurant and the last.Special Features:
- reeagleDined on 8/4/2014This place makes very good Italian food and offers a quite interesting wine list. The mussels appetizer was delicious.Special Features:
- The following 227 reviews are from the Campania Cafe reviews archive.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Went to Campania during restaurant week. The food was ok. It was just your run of the mill Italian, nothing to get excited about.
- Very pleasant dining experiencediningaroundtownDined on 7/26/2014Party of 5 (including a 5 year old) and an out of town guest. We were seated at an ample table, not crowed at all, plenty of room between our table and the other patrons. We were very pleased with our selections. Appetizers were wonderful. When dinner arrived (not much of a wait at all) we were all surprised at the generous portions of our meals. Our table ordered a variety of dishes and each of us were very happy with our dishes. Deserts were sizeable and delicious. I would not hesitate to recommend!Special Features:
- First visit. Evaluation = mixed.BludogVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our plans were made weeks in advance; just happened to be during Restaurant Week. More than half of the seating is split tables - benches against the wall for half the table and chairs on the other side (HATE that!). We asked if we could be seated at a table and were told "everything was reserved". Only served from a prix fixe menu (RW); some great choices, though. Servings were GENEROUS; included a glass of (house) wine. Arancini and calamari were tasty. Although, the cena portions were generous the food was 3.5 to 4 stars - max. We had a the sole and the rib eye; maybe we should have ordered "Italian", i.e. pasta. Sides were OK - again, 2.5 to 3 stars. Desserts were the best food of the meal - cannoli and chocolate torte were wonderful.
- genuine italianklp0723Dined on 7/25/2014Great Italian food with zero skimp on portions, even during restaurant week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding find!food4allDined on 7/25/2014Great restaurant in Davidson. Felt like being in Italy. Food was great! Service was excellent, but not obtrusive. Front porch dining with live music. Will be going back!Special Features:
- One of my favoriteFoodiegbbDined on 7/25/2014restaurants in the region. Service is excellent, as is the food. Great place for special celebrations and intimate dinners. We've had many of the dishes and have never been disappointed. I am picky about Italian restaurants, and this one is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceluvrestaurantsDined on 7/24/2014Always try at least 1 new (to us ) place during Restaurant Week. This place is a keeper & we will be returning for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Campania Cafe is a gem!Love2eatoutDined on 7/23/2014We went to the restaurant during Queen's Feast week on Wednesday night. Were able to get a table through Open Table the same day. We were seated right away, the hostess was very attentive. Our server was very pleasant, but unfortunately he was working the bar, and waiting tables, stretched pretty thin. Our food was wonderful, but it seemed others were being served before we were, that were seated after us. We would certain go again. We realize that during Queen's Feast week, the restaurants are very busy. Loved the location, the ambience of the restaurant was very cozy and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placefrygirlDined on 7/23/2014loved it! Will go back. Great atmosphere and food. ......................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!dymicheleVIPDined on 7/22/2014We came here for Queens Feast week and were not dissappointed. The service is outstanding on its own. They were really busy and we had a reservation, but the table previously sitting had not moved. They let us sit in the waiting area and went ahead and served us our wine from the queens feast. After about 15 minutes, they offered us a different table in the wine bar and we were fine with that. And I am glad we did because it was much more open and quiet. The food was amazing! The portions were large, and the ingreidents were fresh. I had the Aranchi, Butternut Squash Ravioli, and the Chocolate Truffle Torte. And there was nothing left because it was amazing. My friend had the Caprese, Lasgna and the cannoli. DELICIOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.