San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calzonesf.com/
- Phone: 4153973600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Mezzanine seating can accommodate 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Andre Astabie 4153973600
- Cross Street: Vallejo
- Public Transit: Muni #9, #20, #30, #41 and #45 stop within a block of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Two public self-parking garages are located on Vallejo between Stockton and Powell. Street parking is available but can be difficult. There is a white zone in front of the restaurant for convenient drop-off and pick up.The restaurant is a five minute taxi ride from the Montgomery BART station and the financial district.
A word from Calzone's
It doesn’t get more local than Calzone's, in the heart of North Beach. Whether you're sitting outside at the heated cafe tables or inside in one of the comfy booths, this sparkling bistro with a decidedly Cal-Euro atmosphere is the perfect place for watching eclectic locals mix with visitors drawn by North Beach's reputation as the hip place to see and be seen.Continued
The restaurant has been owned and operated by the same North Beach native since 1986 and is open 365 days a year, serving food continuously from 11:30 am until 1:00 am.
The restaurant has been owned and operated by the same North Beach native since 1986 and is open 365 days a year, serving food continuously from 11:30 am until 1:00 am.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Calzone's - Best Restaurants in North Beach ›
Calzone's reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (10)hot spot (8)late-night find (8)special occasion (8)fit for foodies (7)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Charming and yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We have enjoyed a special dinner, seating in that tiny but romantic little table in the terrace. The food was so good, the pasta was perfectly cooked and the pizza was very crunchy. And the desert: the tiramisu...amazing!Special Features:
- Cool placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Its a great place to dine as the ambience is pretty good. Also good for bar hopping as there are plenty of bars nearby..Special Features:
- Fun outdoor seatingDanielDined on 7/17/2014It is really a taste of Italy in San Francisco. If you are looking for a casual dining location that is fun for a couple and has really good food, this is your spot.Special Features:
- We love CalzonesKathleenDined on 7/5/2014The food at this restaurant is very good. They have a great selection on their menu to choose from. The calamari is over the top. Wine choices by the glass could be better. The service is excellent. The ambiance is great for people watching. We love this place:)Special Features:
- What a calzoneKiriDined on 7/5/2014The calzone offerings are wonderful. My party and I ordered three--Italian, Lasagna-style, and Filet Mignon. All were equally delicious, with the seasoning being just to our tastes. Every bite was gleeful, and sad at the same time because we were getting closer to finishing. Couple these things with a great ambience and great service, and it's an all-around satisfying experience.Special Features:
- Fun decor!eliseDined on 6/22/2014We had a great time at calzones! It was so bright and fun inside! I just wish it had been a little warmer so we could have sat outside. Those tables are adorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under the red neon lightsrwotDined on 6/13/2014the staff is very friendly and welcoming, the restaurant clean and the service extremely attentive. located on bustling columbus street in north beach, the location has available seating outside on oval tables under heat lamps, or inside at tables with and without booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great upstairs for 6 or more peopleSpunkyDined on 6/2/2014Nice atmosphere and wait staff very, very nice! Can be loud downstairs but nice and small and cozy. Great tiramisu and lattes! I would again for a pizza and the cauliflower!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Notch Up from Olive GardenEasyToPleaseFATboyDined on 5/30/2014I had lunch with a few friends here. It was a mistake. Food was surprisingly mediocre. I had one of their selections from the big plates with chicken and pasta. I complained to the server that the plate was NOT HOT- a sure sign that the food is either cold or almost cold. And sure enough - it was. I tried what my other friends had and wasn't really satisfied with their food either. I don't think I will crave for mediocre Italian food (which takes a LOT of effort not to get), supposedly hot food served on a practically cold plate and quite overpriced for the area.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/26/2014Service was slow at first but the delicious food made up for it.Special Features:
- Italian Food Done Rightparky270Dined on 5/24/2014The outside seating enticed us, the food will keep us coming back. We had an excellent meal on a Saturday night, this place is hopping. Food was excellent. We both ordered calzones and drinks. The serving sizes are generous. Good place for a date and people watching. Great location on Columbus.Special Features:
- good not greatwillstyleuDined on 5/22/2014Good spot nothing fancy. Good for people watching when eating on the sidewalk of little Italy. Food was nothing to rave about. Caesar salad was excellent.Special Features:
- calzonebeingamyDined on 5/22/2014Went there for dinner with my daughter and it was great service and good food! Everyone was pleasant. I would recommend it to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On our way to Club Fugazi...AllieDined on 5/14/2014Before seeing the "Beach Blanket Babylon" show with visiting friends, we stopped at Calzone's for an early dinner. Menu had a nice variety of options and all the dishes we chose were VERY good. Service was very prompt and attentive. A great meal to share with dear friends from the Midwest. Highly recommend. Calzone's never lets us down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calzone DinnerGiantsgameexcursionDined on 4/29/2014My wife and I ate there, had a salad, a couple of Calzone's and took a dessert to go. The staff was extremely friendly with the perfect level of service. We ate on the sidewalk which we really enjoyed. Overall reasonable and the food, was very good, salad was made with fresh veggies and the calzones were flavorful. We plan to go back.Special Features:
- Touristy and well below averagelocaldinersDined on 4/26/2014I feel pretty stupid for having eaten here. I was walking down Columbus Ave and consciously avoiding those places with the tout stationed out front. That always bothers me when a place tries to lure customers in -- quality restaurants don't need to do that. But alas, I was tired and I was overruled. There may have been a local or two in the house, but from what I could observe, everyone appeared to be a tourist who didn't know any better. They probably thought it was amazing. Like the completely below-average Stinking Rose, tourists and the people from Modesto and Fresno keep these places going. Avoid it.
- The following 142 reviews are from the Calzone's reviews archive.
- Fantastic Italian food!AudreyKDined on 4/19/2014This has been one of our favorite restaurants for years. Everything on the menu is homemade with the freshest ingredients. It's located in North Beach, steps away from lots of hot spots. The interior is lively if a bit cramped. Service is excellent. Prices are reasonable for Sam Francisco. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great thin crust pizzaPirateTravelerDined on 4/7/2014We searched this restaurant out for the thin crust pizza we remembered from our last trip to San Francisco 10 years ago. Great little neighborhood place with outside seating. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We sat inside next to a windowrogerDined on 4/6/2014We sat inside next to a window that was open to the street so we could get a good view sf the scene.Had a wonderful shellfish/pasta bowl that was just outstanding. We brought our own wine and only a $5 corkage fee. Wait staff was attentive without being obtrusive and the street scene on Columbus Ave. is just amazing! .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of SF's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014We visit SF from LA 1-2 times a year. We always visit Calzone's on Columbus circle since we first found it 6 years ago. The restaurant is simple, like many of the Italian restaurants in its neighborhood. Its food is delicious, especially the "5 hour beef and pork with Sugo". To me it is the best pasta with Bolognese sauce dish anywhere. Funny even though it is such a simple dish it is the one dish i always think about and the one restaurant we will always hit among all the fantastic restaurants in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Late Night Option!CookieDined on 3/19/2014I've been here before but never late at night. It was great to know they're open until 1am on a Thursday night. We arrived there at 11pm and still a good crowd and the calzones were awesome! I an the an regular seafood entre but my date had a calzone and it was way better than my entrée. Definitely would come back here on a late night for a delicious calzone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectDeliciousVIPDined on 3/13/2014We got a table along the window so could enjoy the street view. Our drink order showed up quickly and our meal did too. Everybody enjoyed their meal. Want to come back and eat outside next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation means nothingFoodwalkerDined on 2/14/2014We had an 8:15 reservation. When we arrived, we were told it would be another 15 minutes. Instead we were seated at 9:30. The management was visibly disorganized and purposely dishonest about seating time to keep us waiting there. The restaurant was also very understaffed. Our waiter tried very hard but had way too many tables to take care of and was literally running from one table to the next, giving the place a frenzied feel. The food was fine but not worth the wait. Hungry and hopeful tourists beware! There are much better options in the area. On a positive note, we made friends with many other frustrated reservation-holding customers and enjoyed the gelato across the street.
- made a reservationpine415Dined on 2/14/2014Made a reservation for 745pm and still had to wait 45 minutes to be seated don't think that having a reservation makes sense for this placeSpecial Features:
- Valentine's day in the CityCclark0021Dined on 2/14/2014We sat outside on the cozy, but friendly patio. We were dining with our two dogs. The resturant servers were friendly to us and our two dogs. They even recieved dog treats from the hostess. The cocktails were great, food good and servers attentive! The only downside was the tables are literally on the sidewalk, so you feel as if the passing by foot traffic is joining your meal. Overall, good experience, but be prepared to enjoy your meal while on display, I joked this must be what zoo animals feel like. We would dine here again and recommend it, just be prepared for the tight quarters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodMode71Dined on 2/7/2014We ate at this place on a last minute dining experience. The food I ate was burnt and I asked for a replacement.There was no replacement or refund.Our waiter was all over the place and ignored us most of the time..probably because they sat us in the very back of the resturant.I am not returning again.There are much better choices to make in North Beach for dining.Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I spent theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014My boyfriend and I spent the weekend in San Fransisco and a friend recommended that we go to Calzone's. The food restaurant was beautiful, the service was great and the food was wonderful! We had a wonderful experience and will be sure to come here in the future! 5 stars, the food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/24/2014this place always looked really cute/quaint, but the food was very mediocre and the service wasn't much better. not recommended.....won't be back
- Overall very good for early dinnerROSFO1914Dined on 1/9/2014This place is one I wanted to come to before in the past and now got to - in this case, for an early dinner. Well worth the effort! They do a great job on food and ambiance with service to match.Special Features:
- Great New Years Dinner!CAdolfanDined on 12/31/2013This was a last minute find. Great pasta and AWESOME pizza.Special Features:
- NOT Impressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2013For what I paid...I was miffed! I had a reservation and still they placed my party of six at a table at the top the stairs right up against a waiter station. It was distracting and not appealing. Waiters constantly passing our table, bus boys running up and down the stairs, riduculous! They have no business placing a table in this location. Will never return not worth the headache. Food average!
- Great Pasta!LuluDined on 12/28/2013The food was fantastic, the pasta was light and fresh. The only drawback is very limited seating and the restaurant is very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad cheese trayJimMDined on 11/29/2013I have been to Calzone's many time and always take friends who are visiting SF for the first time. This time my guests arrived before me and they ordered the "cheese plate." When it arrived on a giant plate, there were 4 tiny bite size pieces of cheese on it. I was very embarrassed to see such a small about of food. We had eaten an entire pack of "Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam" cheese at my home on Thanksgiving, and it was sad to see such an presentation of cheese at a San Francisco Restaurant. Also the "sand dabs" were completely broken up and arrived in an unattractive pile. I have been going there since it opened, but probably never again.Special Features:
- Calzone's is MemoriableSallyVIPDined on 11/10/2013My son chose this restaurant because it epitomized the San Francisco Neighborhood that it was in and the menu looked great. We sat outside under the heat lamps and it really made our last night in San Francisco special - plus the food was wonderful. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Food did not meet expectationLNB39VIPDined on 11/3/2013I was hoping for a great Italian meal and got food I could have made better at home. The food was bland and the dessert was like eating sugar. The service was ok but the waiter was hard to find on occasion. The water refills were constant but we were there for a good meal and were disappointed.Special Features:
- Awesome tapas and paella, TheMediatorofMetabolismsDined on 10/25/2013Awesome tapas and paella, The crowded our group of 7 onto two small square tables slid together but we made it work.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant ~ especiallyTammyVIPDined on 10/23/2013I love this restaurant ~ especially sitting outside under the heaters!Special Features:
- Perfect SpotnatconsultDined on 10/20/2013Calzone's was chosen on a recommendation from a local. The food, service, & atmosphere was great! The meal was unrushed, the waistaff were very knowledgeable & able to answer any questions about the food & its preparation. I would highly recommend Calzones as a place to put on their bucket list when visiting San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food delicious!!! Therun2eatDined on 10/19/2013The food delicious!!! The appetizers are amazing. The margaritas are awesome. The portions are perfect. I leave Calzones craving the next visit. It is about one mile from Union Square and you can walk there- we do. I love this place, I have taken a few different friends and they have all loved their meal. If you like Italian food you will LOVE Calzones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scoping out North BeachJeanDined on 10/6/2013This place has everything you want for a fun evening in North Beach. Outdoor sidewalk dining with all seats facing the Columbus Ave., great food and price variety, good service, and fun people watching can make it a romantic evening or spur of the moment event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.