Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
1068 Riverdale Street
West Springfield, MA 01089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calswoodfiredgrill.com/
- Phone: (413) 827-9353
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm-10:00pm, Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Contact: Dan Goodin 413-827-9353
A word from Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
Located on the bustling Riverdale Road in West Springfield, Massachusttes, Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar offers a creative, casual American menu with a vibrant atmosphere. Featuring a large bar area and separate dining rooms, Cal's is the perfect location to meet friends for happy hour, take your family for dinner, or to host a corporate meeting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (30)special occasion (30)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (15)hot spot (14)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent - time and time againoceanviewVIPDined on 11/20/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and it remains consistently good. Nice to know I can depend on having a good meal during a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatNYtravelerDined on 11/15/2014Great food! Good atmosphere, a little noisy and crowded. Price scale was a little high but not overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I have never had a bad meal at Cals. My last visit was a very busy Sat night. I made reservations so we had only a short wait. Our server was very busy but never frazzled and very pleasant. We were in the restaurant for 2 hours from appetizer through dessert. Everyone in my party thoroughly enjoyed their meal. If I had one complaint it would be the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great stop off Mass Pike.GailVIPDined on 11/15/2014My daughter and I needed a healthy stop between NY state and Boston and this was perfect!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite resturauntOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Any chance we get this is the place we go. Great food with great service and the martini's are the best around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service & atmosphere!CinCTVIPDined on 11/8/2014Had dinner for 4 here Saturday night, Nov 8, 2014. Service, food and atmosphere were great. Could have a conversation without having to yell, even though we weren't in a booth. Portions were reasonable- not huge-- just right in my opinion. Redfish Nouvelle was delicious. Others reported on chicken parmesian, a chopped salad, the butternut squash bisque and a stuffed baked potato; all were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our first visit to Cal's with friends and had a wonderful meal with great service. Drinks were reasonably priced with one giant Manhattan on the rocks. All four meals were excellent as was the Calimari. Definitely requires another visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedgooseandganderDined on 11/1/2014Saturday night, so loud we could barely hear ourselves without feeling like we had to be loud ourselves. Our waitress skipped telling us the specials. The flatware looked and felt like it came from a JobLot store. The downstairs ladies room had the smallest stalls I've seen in an otherwise spacious facility. The food was good but not great, and I don't consider crimini to be "wild mushrooms" in any dish, even risotto. Also felt rushed by service. And my husband was less impressed than me. Doubt we'll go back.Special Features:
- ExcellentmmadvVIPDined on 10/25/2014Cal's never fails to please. Service, food and atmosphere very accommodating. Tried a new menu steak addition and was very pleased.Special Features:
- Another great time!Beachlover33Dined on 10/25/2014As always, fantastic food and service! Busy and fun but not too loud or too busy for the servers...love this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 68marineDined on 10/18/2014GREAT SERVICE AND GREAT FOOD, WENT THE EXTRA MILE TO SEE THAT WE WHERE SATISFIED, THIS IS ONE OF OUR FAVORATE RESTRUANTS. ALWAYS ACCOMIDATES TIME WANTED FOR RESERVATION.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodRickDined on 10/17/2014Good steak but vegetable portions could have been larger.Place was packed but service was still quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisepolunchDined on 10/17/2014We sat upstairs and the group of ten next to us was very very loud. Ruined what would have been a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentPattyDined on 10/15/2014Have been here several times and always a great experienceSpecial Features:
- Okay FoodLongIslandLadyVIPDined on 10/13/2014Food was just okay,eatable but not memorable. My husband had the Sun-Mon price fixed. He said is was okay. I had a small pizza also ok. The restaurant was reasonably priced, and the waitstaff attentive.
- Food wasn't what we expected...MichelleVIPDined on 10/12/2014Food was not good. My wife and didn't even eat half of what we ordered. Even the house salad was terrible. My kids liked their spaghetti. Would not recommend it as a place to go for good food. Prices are fair.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerBethC513Dined on 10/11/2014We were in Massachusetts for the weekend and were so lucky to find Cal's for dinner. Couldn't have asked for a better meal or experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner. Amazing food!TheGreatestDined on 10/3/2014I went here with my boyfriend for our three year anniversary dinner and the truffled mashed potatoes were incredible! I am beyond pleased with their recipes or however they cook their food. Everything tasted perfect! Would love to come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tomzDined on 9/24/2014The food was great and the service outstanding. Very accommodating for special requests. highly recommendSpecial Features:
- food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014food was outstanding and our waitress was the best!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JussyCDined on 9/16/2014We were with friends and it was a very good place to meet and talk with our friends.Special Features:
- Always a Sure BetGMGPDined on 9/12/2014We have been regulars at Cal's for 10 years and it never disappoints. The food is great, the service friendly and they mix the best drinks anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Local Favorite for SeafoodLinwood75VIPDined on 9/10/2014I usually go for a Caesar Salad -- enough for two to split -- and fried calamari, plus a drink or two. Ask for dinner rolls, too, otherwise I don't think you'll get them automatically. Always a good experience!Special Features:
- PeterDined on 9/4/2014Food was excellent. Our waiter was great, gave us all the info we needed to have a great meal.Special Features:
- Friendly and CompetentUlysses4VIPDined on 8/28/2014Better than a chain restaurant and not quite on a par with a solo, Cal's is part of a group that provides good value, a pleasant if generic atmosphere, and a surprisingly large variety of culinary offerings. Fish entrees and pasta dishes are deftly prepared, there is a reasonable range of wines, beers and spirits on offer, and the service is earnest and cheerful if not completely polished. In a mile or so stretch of Route 5 filled with car dealerships, motels and strip malls, this is perhaps the best watering hole and a place for decent, if not completely memorable dining.
- Enjoyed thisMaxxmommyDined on 8/24/2014This is our second visit and it was great. Would recommend this. I will be back next month when I return to the area I promiseSpecial Features:
- Will be backMixitup4Dined on 8/23/2014This was our first time at Cals. There were four of us. We all ordered apps, drinks and dinner. The service was a little slow and when our drinks were empty, we had to tag her down for a refill. But other than that she was pretty good. We all enjoyed our food, however my boyfriends filet was medium rare when it was supposed to be medium well. The flavor was really good so he just dealt with it. I would have to say that even though we didn't have a outstanding experience, we would definitely go back again and give it another go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never had a bad meal hereemmajDined on 8/16/2014This is our go to place. We have enjoyed many of the entrees over the past years and we are never disappointed. Food is always fresh and hot. Service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nightCatchupDined on 8/14/2014I had the shrimp starter which was huge and the fish and chips. The fish was good but the chips were only ok...and no malt vinegar and for some reason there was no salt and pepper on the table. My partner had the wings which were tasty. oh the martins are a must try. All in all an ok placeSpecial Features:
- Great for all ages!PattyDined on 8/8/2014Our party had folks from age four to 97. Everyone found something they liked and everyone's food was perfect! Great menu, great sevice. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- oceanviewoceanviewVIPDined on 8/4/2014I keep returning to Cal's because they are so dependableSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed it!MandyDDined on 8/1/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. The fried monzarella was very good and I had the diver scallops which were delicious! For dessert we had the crem brulee (also great!). Food came out fast! Server was great, just attentive enough! We would go back again.Special Features:
- The following 435 reviews are from the Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar reviews archive.
- Great!PammyDined on 7/13/2014Fantastic food and service! Price Fixe menu was great. Lots of choices. Our server was the best! Will go back again, and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try it againTootie55Dined on 7/5/2014First time I used Open Table and loved it! The menu is quite varied and appealing. A bit of confusion on one of the sides and whether a substitution was "allowed". It turns out the desired side dish was not available so it wasn't clear why it was included as an option. I reviewed another site after our visit and found that substituting sides can sometimes be an issue with this restaurant. The server was adequate, however, seemed less than enthusiastic when we asked for extra dressing and sauce on the side. Overall, the food was very good. I would try this restaurant again and hope for more flexibility in our order and maybe a little more energy and interest from the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencersextonDined on 7/4/2014From the start, a great experience for my wife & I. We Asked for, and got seated in a quiet area. As usual, they couldn't guarantee it would stay that way. But, for the most part, it did stay quiet. We ordered what turned out to be a very good Bruschetta appetizer. For our main courses, I had the 18oz lobster special that I couldn't finish. That special included a complete lobster, 2 half pieces of corn on the cob, and veggies. Everything was excellent, but the biscuit serve with the meal was dry & boring. My wife had a scallop & shrimp pasta that she loved. The wait staff was great, she came back to check on us, but she was not overly attentive (a good thing).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBlondieDined on 6/28/2014Have just started frequenting this restaurant recently in the last couple of months. I think the food is delicious and the staff is friendly although a bit pricey. I did visit one Sunday for the pre-fixe menu and thought that was quite a deal. Am going to try it for lunch sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than I was expecting. WowRoSoDined on 6/27/2014We were staying across the street at the Hampton and they recommended Cal's and there is a 10% off coupon. It's the only non-chain they thought was good, and it sure was. My wife had the seared tuna and I had the 8oz filet mignon, probably the two most expensive and easily ruined dishes. Not a chance. Cal's got both of them perfect! Our son had the chicken penna alba vodka, juicy and al dante, again we were impressed. Overall a really great experience. Cocktails too, large and well made. We will come back next year! Go Team United Lacrosse !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitMagicDined on 6/26/2014Took my husband to dinner, along with a friend was so excited and anxious to try Cal's have another friend who raves about it! My husband ordered baked stuff shrimp, it came they weren't the large shrimp you stuff, small little shrimp, he was disappointed. Service was okay, nothing to rave about. Might go back but won't be our first choice. My husband asked for rolls, three rolls came to the table, he again was disappointed and felt like he shouldn't of had to ask for another roll, there was one for each of us. Said his chowder was delicious! Our friend said the fisherman's platter was very good! I had the salmon with crab risotto, never found the any crab meat? Visit was okay, but like I said it won't be our first choice.
- Food, service and pricePaulieDined on 6/22/2014The food, service and price make Cal's the best in my eyes! My favorite is the Sunday/Monday night dinner specials! Filet Mignon is the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for the priceGarrettVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went with a group of five of all ages (teens to elderly) and eveyone found something on the menu they liked. The weekend prix fixe is a great deal with solid if not overly imaginative offerings. Cocktails and wines by the glass were huge pours (but wish they had a bigger selection of top shelf bourbons; the wine list was better than I expected). Cal's is a good option for those on a budget.Special Features: