Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
1068 Riverdale Street
West Springfield, MA 01089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calswoodfiredgrill.com/
- Phone: 413-827-9353
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm-10:00pm, Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Contact: Dan Goodin 413-827-9353
A word from Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
Located on the bustling Riverdale Road in West Springfield, Massachusttes, Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar offers a creative, casual American menu with a vibrant atmosphere. Featuring a large bar area and separate dining rooms, Cal's is the perfect location to meet friends for happy hour, take your family for dinner, or to host a corporate meeting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (23)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (8)hot spot (8)notable wine list (7)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- 68marineDined on 10/18/2014GREAT SERVICE AND GREAT FOOD, WENT THE EXTRA MILE TO SEE THAT WE WHERE SATISFIED, THIS IS ONE OF OUR FAVORATE RESTRUANTS. ALWAYS ACCOMIDATES TIME WANTED FOR RESERVATION.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Good steak but vegetable portions could have been larger.Place was packed but service was still quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We sat upstairs and the group of ten next to us was very very loud. Ruined what would have been a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentPattyDined on 10/15/2014Have been here several times and always a great experienceSpecial Features:
- Okay FoodLongIslandLadyVIPDined on 10/13/2014Food was just okay,eatable but not memorable. My husband had the Sun-Mon price fixed. He said is was okay. I had a small pizza also ok. The restaurant was reasonably priced, and the waitstaff attentive.
- Food wasn't what we expected...MichelleVIPDined on 10/12/2014Food was not good. My wife and didn't even eat half of what we ordered. Even the house salad was terrible. My kids liked their spaghetti. Would not recommend it as a place to go for good food. Prices are fair.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerBethC513Dined on 10/11/2014We were in Massachusetts for the weekend and were so lucky to find Cal's for dinner. Couldn't have asked for a better meal or experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner. Amazing food!TheGreatestDined on 10/3/2014I went here with my boyfriend for our three year anniversary dinner and the truffled mashed potatoes were incredible! I am beyond pleased with their recipes or however they cook their food. Everything tasted perfect! Would love to come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tomzDined on 9/24/2014The food was great and the service outstanding. Very accommodating for special requests. highly recommendSpecial Features:
- food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014food was outstanding and our waitress was the best!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JussyCDined on 9/16/2014We were with friends and it was a very good place to meet and talk with our friends.Special Features:
- Always a Sure BetGMGPDined on 9/12/2014We have been regulars at Cal's for 10 years and it never disappoints. The food is great, the service friendly and they mix the best drinks anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterDined on 9/4/2014Food was excellent. Our waiter was great, gave us all the info we needed to have a great meal.Special Features:
- Friendly and CompetentUlysses4Dined on 8/28/2014Better than a chain restaurant and not quite on a par with a solo, Cal's is part of a group that provides good value, a pleasant if generic atmosphere, and a surprisingly large variety of culinary offerings. Fish entrees and pasta dishes are deftly prepared, there is a reasonable range of wines, beers and spirits on offer, and the service is earnest and cheerful if not completely polished. In a mile or so stretch of Route 5 filled with car dealerships, motels and strip malls, this is perhaps the best watering hole and a place for decent, if not completely memorable dining.
- Enjoyed thisMaxxmommyDined on 8/24/2014This is our second visit and it was great. Would recommend this. I will be back next month when I return to the area I promiseSpecial Features:
- Will be backMixitup4Dined on 8/23/2014This was our first time at Cals. There were four of us. We all ordered apps, drinks and dinner. The service was a little slow and when our drinks were empty, we had to tag her down for a refill. But other than that she was pretty good. We all enjoyed our food, however my boyfriends filet was medium rare when it was supposed to be medium well. The flavor was really good so he just dealt with it. I would have to say that even though we didn't have a outstanding experience, we would definitely go back again and give it another go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never had a bad meal hereemmajDined on 8/16/2014This is our go to place. We have enjoyed many of the entrees over the past years and we are never disappointed. Food is always fresh and hot. Service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nightCatchupDined on 8/14/2014I had the shrimp starter which was huge and the fish and chips. The fish was good but the chips were only ok...and no malt vinegar and for some reason there was no salt and pepper on the table. My partner had the wings which were tasty. oh the martins are a must try. All in all an ok placeSpecial Features:
- Great for all ages!PattyDined on 8/8/2014Our party had folks from age four to 97. Everyone found something they liked and everyone's food was perfect! Great menu, great sevice. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- oceanviewoceanviewVIPDined on 8/4/2014I keep returning to Cal's because they are so dependableSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed it!MandyDDined on 8/1/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. The fried monzarella was very good and I had the diver scallops which were delicious! For dessert we had the crem brulee (also great!). Food came out fast! Server was great, just attentive enough! We would go back again.Special Features:
- Great!PammyDined on 7/13/2014Fantastic food and service! Price Fixe menu was great. Lots of choices. Our server was the best! Will go back again, and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try it againTootie55Dined on 7/5/2014First time I used Open Table and loved it! The menu is quite varied and appealing. A bit of confusion on one of the sides and whether a substitution was "allowed". It turns out the desired side dish was not available so it wasn't clear why it was included as an option. I reviewed another site after our visit and found that substituting sides can sometimes be an issue with this restaurant. The server was adequate, however, seemed less than enthusiastic when we asked for extra dressing and sauce on the side. Overall, the food was very good. I would try this restaurant again and hope for more flexibility in our order and maybe a little more energy and interest from the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencersextonDined on 7/4/2014From the start, a great experience for my wife & I. We Asked for, and got seated in a quiet area. As usual, they couldn't guarantee it would stay that way. But, for the most part, it did stay quiet. We ordered what turned out to be a very good Bruschetta appetizer. For our main courses, I had the 18oz lobster special that I couldn't finish. That special included a complete lobster, 2 half pieces of corn on the cob, and veggies. Everything was excellent, but the biscuit serve with the meal was dry & boring. My wife had a scallop & shrimp pasta that she loved. The wait staff was great, she came back to check on us, but she was not overly attentive (a good thing).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBlondieDined on 6/28/2014Have just started frequenting this restaurant recently in the last couple of months. I think the food is delicious and the staff is friendly although a bit pricey. I did visit one Sunday for the pre-fixe menu and thought that was quite a deal. Am going to try it for lunch sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than I was expecting. WowRoSoDined on 6/27/2014We were staying across the street at the Hampton and they recommended Cal's and there is a 10% off coupon. It's the only non-chain they thought was good, and it sure was. My wife had the seared tuna and I had the 8oz filet mignon, probably the two most expensive and easily ruined dishes. Not a chance. Cal's got both of them perfect! Our son had the chicken penna alba vodka, juicy and al dante, again we were impressed. Overall a really great experience. Cocktails too, large and well made. We will come back next year! Go Team United Lacrosse !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitMagicDined on 6/26/2014Took my husband to dinner, along with a friend was so excited and anxious to try Cal's have another friend who raves about it! My husband ordered baked stuff shrimp, it came they weren't the large shrimp you stuff, small little shrimp, he was disappointed. Service was okay, nothing to rave about. Might go back but won't be our first choice. My husband asked for rolls, three rolls came to the table, he again was disappointed and felt like he shouldn't of had to ask for another roll, there was one for each of us. Said his chowder was delicious! Our friend said the fisherman's platter was very good! I had the salmon with crab risotto, never found the any crab meat? Visit was okay, but like I said it won't be our first choice.
- The following 429 reviews are from the Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar reviews archive.
- Food, service and pricePaulieDined on 6/22/2014The food, service and price make Cal's the best in my eyes! My favorite is the Sunday/Monday night dinner specials! Filet Mignon is the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for the priceGarrettVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went with a group of five of all ages (teens to elderly) and eveyone found something on the menu they liked. The weekend prix fixe is a great deal with solid if not overly imaginative offerings. Cocktails and wines by the glass were huge pours (but wish they had a bigger selection of top shelf bourbons; the wine list was better than I expected). Cal's is a good option for those on a budget.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014Great.4 course dinner deal -- cannot beat it! Wide variety on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinerHickorydickerydocDined on 6/13/2014Excellent meal for early Father's Day celebration. Food is always consistently good. The Fra Divalo was nicely spicey and salmon was very moist. Must try the balsamic salad dressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dimly-lit & cozy but modern & funBraxSnaxDined on 6/13/2014Dinner at Cal's is always a nice event. The ambience is comfortable, dimly lit, and inviting. The food is reliably delicious. The drink menu is current and fun. Recently, I went with a small group but I've also been with bigger parties and have never been disappointed. I would compare this to a step down from Max's Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OCEANVIEWoceanviewVIPDined on 6/9/2014I have been to Cal's several times and they never disappoint me -- food is always terrific and the wait staff superbSpecial Features:
- Visit to Cal'sTSLSVIPDined on 6/7/2014We visit Cal's regularly, perhaps 5 to 6 times a year. This visit was enjoyable. Appetizers included Asian Wings which were a nice change from the ordinary wings one encounters. Our meals were very good. I particularly liked the night's special, Caprese pasta, a Caprese salad tossed with pasta. Service was attentive and at the time we went, noise level was moderate. All in all, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good !RobertDined on 6/5/2014A very good place to have a business dinner or lunch/supper with the family. The employees are helpful and freindly and the food is very good. You will like Cals.Special Features:
- AwesomekittelzDined on 6/2/2014We went here for our anniversary and we're impressed with the menu choices and great prix fix deal! The food was amazing and the service was average. We will definitely be going there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousStephkiDined on 6/1/2014Delicious food! The 4 courses for $21.95 is an absolute steal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review is stated belowcalsexperiDined on 5/31/2014I was extremely disapointed in the food at Cal's.My scallops were raw/They chrgd me 2.00 to get the crabmeat risotto and there was none in it.My husbands potatoes were ice cold/brought more that were just as cold. I have to say that the mgmt and staff were right on it.They took my dish off the bill with no ? asked.When we were at the Open Table CT sev months ago, the mgmt refused to do anything after my husband rec wrong meal overcooked to boot.She offered to get new meal(the rest of us were done eating by time we got our waitress back to tell her).She would not take off bill.I will never go there again. Poor mgmt if you ask me. Thank you for your time. Kim Garczynski, 150 swan avenue, ludlow ma 01056 if you need any more info.Special Features:
- service and farehappycustomerDined on 5/25/2014Our server Sean was excellent from the minute we arrived until he took a group photo with us when we were leaving. Everyone at the table ordered off the pix fix menu and were very happy with the meals. There were 10 of us celebrating a birthday I requested a round table if possible, not only did we get the table I requested but the set us up in an alcove by ourselves. The food was excellent and the service and attention from Sean was even better. I would highly recommend Cal's and would definitely request Sean as my server. He and the food get 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dlomDined on 5/19/2014We were a group of 10. the service and food were very good. Noise level in the restaurant at the time we went was high and made conversation difficult, otherwise it was a good experience.Special Features: