Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
1068 Riverdale Street
West Springfield, MA 01089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calswoodfiredgrill.com/
- Phone: 413-827-9353
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm-10:00pm, Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Contact: Dan Goodin 413-827-9353
A word from Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
Located on the bustling Riverdale Road in West Springfield, Massachusttes, Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar offers a creative, casual American menu with a vibrant atmosphere. Featuring a large bar area and separate dining rooms, Cal's is the perfect location to meet friends for happy hour, take your family for dinner, or to host a corporate meeting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (21)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (13)romantic (13)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014food was outstanding and our waitress was the best!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JussyCDined on 9/16/2014We were with friends and it was a very good place to meet and talk with our friends.Special Features:
- Always a Sure BetGMGPDined on 9/12/2014We have been regulars at Cal's for 10 years and it never disappoints. The food is great, the service friendly and they mix the best drinks anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterDined on 9/4/2014Food was excellent. Our waiter was great, gave us all the info we needed to have a great meal.Special Features:
- Friendly and CompetentUlysses4Dined on 8/28/2014Better than a chain restaurant and not quite on a par with a solo, Cal's is part of a group that provides good value, a pleasant if generic atmosphere, and a surprisingly large variety of culinary offerings. Fish entrees and pasta dishes are deftly prepared, there is a reasonable range of wines, beers and spirits on offer, and the service is earnest and cheerful if not completely polished. In a mile or so stretch of Route 5 filled with car dealerships, motels and strip malls, this is perhaps the best watering hole and a place for decent, if not completely memorable dining.
- Enjoyed thisMaxxmommyDined on 8/24/2014This is our second visit and it was great. Would recommend this. I will be back next month when I return to the area I promiseSpecial Features:
- Will be backMixitup4Dined on 8/23/2014This was our first time at Cals. There were four of us. We all ordered apps, drinks and dinner. The service was a little slow and when our drinks were empty, we had to tag her down for a refill. But other than that she was pretty good. We all enjoyed our food, however my boyfriends filet was medium rare when it was supposed to be medium well. The flavor was really good so he just dealt with it. I would have to say that even though we didn't have a outstanding experience, we would definitely go back again and give it another go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never had a bad meal hereemmajDined on 8/16/2014This is our go to place. We have enjoyed many of the entrees over the past years and we are never disappointed. Food is always fresh and hot. Service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nightCatchupDined on 8/14/2014I had the shrimp starter which was huge and the fish and chips. The fish was good but the chips were only ok...and no malt vinegar and for some reason there was no salt and pepper on the table. My partner had the wings which were tasty. oh the martins are a must try. All in all an ok placeSpecial Features:
- Great for all ages!PattyDined on 8/8/2014Our party had folks from age four to 97. Everyone found something they liked and everyone's food was perfect! Great menu, great sevice. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- oceanviewoceanviewVIPDined on 8/4/2014I keep returning to Cal's because they are so dependableSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed it!MandyDDined on 8/1/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. The fried monzarella was very good and I had the diver scallops which were delicious! For dessert we had the crem brulee (also great!). Food came out fast! Server was great, just attentive enough! We would go back again.Special Features:
- Great!PammyDined on 7/13/2014Fantastic food and service! Price Fixe menu was great. Lots of choices. Our server was the best! Will go back again, and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try it againTootie55Dined on 7/5/2014First time I used Open Table and loved it! The menu is quite varied and appealing. A bit of confusion on one of the sides and whether a substitution was "allowed". It turns out the desired side dish was not available so it wasn't clear why it was included as an option. I reviewed another site after our visit and found that substituting sides can sometimes be an issue with this restaurant. The server was adequate, however, seemed less than enthusiastic when we asked for extra dressing and sauce on the side. Overall, the food was very good. I would try this restaurant again and hope for more flexibility in our order and maybe a little more energy and interest from the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencersextonDined on 7/4/2014From the start, a great experience for my wife & I. We Asked for, and got seated in a quiet area. As usual, they couldn't guarantee it would stay that way. But, for the most part, it did stay quiet. We ordered what turned out to be a very good Bruschetta appetizer. For our main courses, I had the 18oz lobster special that I couldn't finish. That special included a complete lobster, 2 half pieces of corn on the cob, and veggies. Everything was excellent, but the biscuit serve with the meal was dry & boring. My wife had a scallop & shrimp pasta that she loved. The wait staff was great, she came back to check on us, but she was not overly attentive (a good thing).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBlondieDined on 6/28/2014Have just started frequenting this restaurant recently in the last couple of months. I think the food is delicious and the staff is friendly although a bit pricey. I did visit one Sunday for the pre-fixe menu and thought that was quite a deal. Am going to try it for lunch sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than I was expecting. WowRoSoDined on 6/27/2014We were staying across the street at the Hampton and they recommended Cal's and there is a 10% off coupon. It's the only non-chain they thought was good, and it sure was. My wife had the seared tuna and I had the 8oz filet mignon, probably the two most expensive and easily ruined dishes. Not a chance. Cal's got both of them perfect! Our son had the chicken penna alba vodka, juicy and al dante, again we were impressed. Overall a really great experience. Cocktails too, large and well made. We will come back next year! Go Team United Lacrosse !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitMagicDined on 6/26/2014Took my husband to dinner, along with a friend was so excited and anxious to try Cal's have another friend who raves about it! My husband ordered baked stuff shrimp, it came they weren't the large shrimp you stuff, small little shrimp, he was disappointed. Service was okay, nothing to rave about. Might go back but won't be our first choice. My husband asked for rolls, three rolls came to the table, he again was disappointed and felt like he shouldn't of had to ask for another roll, there was one for each of us. Said his chowder was delicious! Our friend said the fisherman's platter was very good! I had the salmon with crab risotto, never found the any crab meat? Visit was okay, but like I said it won't be our first choice.
- Food, service and pricePaulieDined on 6/22/2014The food, service and price make Cal's the best in my eyes! My favorite is the Sunday/Monday night dinner specials! Filet Mignon is the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for the priceGarrettVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went with a group of five of all ages (teens to elderly) and eveyone found something on the menu they liked. The weekend prix fixe is a great deal with solid if not overly imaginative offerings. Cocktails and wines by the glass were huge pours (but wish they had a bigger selection of top shelf bourbons; the wine list was better than I expected). Cal's is a good option for those on a budget.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014Great.4 course dinner deal -- cannot beat it! Wide variety on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinerHickorydickerydocDined on 6/13/2014Excellent meal for early Father's Day celebration. Food is always consistently good. The Fra Divalo was nicely spicey and salmon was very moist. Must try the balsamic salad dressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dimly-lit & cozy but modern & funBraxSnaxDined on 6/13/2014Dinner at Cal's is always a nice event. The ambience is comfortable, dimly lit, and inviting. The food is reliably delicious. The drink menu is current and fun. Recently, I went with a small group but I've also been with bigger parties and have never been disappointed. I would compare this to a step down from Max's Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OCEANVIEWoceanviewVIPDined on 6/9/2014I have been to Cal's several times and they never disappoint me -- food is always terrific and the wait staff superbSpecial Features:
- Visit to Cal'sTSLSVIPDined on 6/7/2014We visit Cal's regularly, perhaps 5 to 6 times a year. This visit was enjoyable. Appetizers included Asian Wings which were a nice change from the ordinary wings one encounters. Our meals were very good. I particularly liked the night's special, Caprese pasta, a Caprese salad tossed with pasta. Service was attentive and at the time we went, noise level was moderate. All in all, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good !RobertDined on 6/5/2014A very good place to have a business dinner or lunch/supper with the family. The employees are helpful and freindly and the food is very good. You will like Cals.Special Features:
- AwesomekittelzDined on 6/2/2014We went here for our anniversary and we're impressed with the menu choices and great prix fix deal! The food was amazing and the service was average. We will definitely be going there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousStephkiDined on 6/1/2014Delicious food! The 4 courses for $21.95 is an absolute steal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review is stated belowcalsexperiDined on 5/31/2014I was extremely disapointed in the food at Cal's.My scallops were raw/They chrgd me 2.00 to get the crabmeat risotto and there was none in it.My husbands potatoes were ice cold/brought more that were just as cold. I have to say that the mgmt and staff were right on it.They took my dish off the bill with no ? asked.When we were at the Open Table CT sev months ago, the mgmt refused to do anything after my husband rec wrong meal overcooked to boot.She offered to get new meal(the rest of us were done eating by time we got our waitress back to tell her).She would not take off bill.I will never go there again. Poor mgmt if you ask me. Thank you for your time. Kim Garczynski, 150 swan avenue, ludlow ma 01056 if you need any more info.Special Features:
- The following 418 reviews are from the Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar reviews archive.
- service and farehappycustomerDined on 5/25/2014Our server Sean was excellent from the minute we arrived until he took a group photo with us when we were leaving. Everyone at the table ordered off the pix fix menu and were very happy with the meals. There were 10 of us celebrating a birthday I requested a round table if possible, not only did we get the table I requested but the set us up in an alcove by ourselves. The food was excellent and the service and attention from Sean was even better. I would highly recommend Cal's and would definitely request Sean as my server. He and the food get 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dlomDined on 5/19/2014We were a group of 10. the service and food were very good. Noise level in the restaurant at the time we went was high and made conversation difficult, otherwise it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Do not miss thisMaxxmommyDined on 5/18/2014I have been going to this area for over 4 years always staying at a hotel across the street. My daughter graduation was on a Sunday and the place accommodate all 9 guest (I made reservation). Food was hot, tasty, we'll prepare and the service was more than we could have imagine. The price for me was great. I have never written a review but take my word you will not be sorry!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014The service was a bit slower than usual, but that was because it was Sunday and the place was packed for the Sunday Prixe Fix Menu. Foot was great as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedJNelReviewDined on 5/11/2014I made reservations for Mothers Day 2014 because I was hearing great things about this place. The service was excellent. When you asked for something weather it was a drink or app you got it within 3 mins. The apps were cold which was dissapoiting, but the price for the apps was reasonable just not when your getting it cold. My meal was AWESOME!! But the rest of the party I was with was not impressed, espcially when the prices for the Holiday was raised. So instead of raising the prices and getting excellent food, they raised the prices and it was mediocore. I would like to try it again maybe on not such a busy night but I was expecting a little more becuase I heard nothing but great things about this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Mother's DayJancieDined on 5/11/2014Our group of 10 was seated promptly and got very good service on a busy day. Our ages ranged from 89 to 2 years old and the restaurant wasn't too noisy for the 89 year old to hear but was noisy enough so that bringing a two year old wasn't a problem. We all enjoyed our meals, with the coconut shrimp appetizer, the salmon over risotto, and the mushroom ravioli as favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dependable, sometimes superbSomervillenDined on 5/10/2014This was not our first visit. Based on past experience, I was anticipating a pleasant but not especially memorable meal, but all four people in our party agreed that Cal's delivered a genuine special-occasion night out. Our server Daydra was both efficient and cordial; two of us ordered specials (beef tenderloin medallions in brandy-peppercorn sauce and seafood stew) and were very glad we did. The house wines - which we ordered by varietal and by the glass - were well-chosen and tasty. The chocolate bread pudding was deeply satisfying. Cal's has never been pretentious or aggressively high-end, but the quality of our dinner elevated this visit beyond their usual reliability as a casual family dining venue. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid 4 Stars all around as usualCraving4SublimeDined on 5/10/2014Four ppl for 6:45 res'n on Sat. night; took only 5 mins. or so to be seated. Even though the general sound level was energetic, we conversed comfortably in the front DR. Our server, Sean, provided helpful and accurate advice, and was in sync with our pace. Although single-sized, we shared 1 tasty eggplant rollotini and 1 mouthwatering gorg.garlic bread app. Three of us had Cajun swordfish (very moist, not overly spicy)– nothing but raves. One diner had a seafood stew (including lobster, mussels, scallops in tomato-based broth), which was also a hit. House salads came w/entrees. Wide selection of nice wines. Prices are very reasonable, portions are just right but we had no room for dessert. Bill before tip was ~$185, of which ~$70 was wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent dinersHickorydickerydocDined on 5/10/2014Excellent night out with elderly parents. Even the finicky were pleased with their meals. Cals is always consistent in their quality. Sometimes weekend portions are a bit smaller.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, good food and priced rightFoodieVIPDined on 5/7/2014I love these kind of restaurants. Friendly service, good (not amazing) food and the check is always lower than you think because most restaurants these days are just going crazy trying to increase the check average versus increasing the covers. Success in business comes from having most customers, not getting less to spend more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellantRobertDined on 5/3/2014We were very happy at this restaurant and will be back again !Special Features: