Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
1068 Riverdale Street
West Springfield, MA 01089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calswoodfiredgrill.com/
- Phone: (413) 827-9353
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm-10:00pm, Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Contact: Dan Goodin 413-827-9353
A word from Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
Located on the bustling Riverdale Road in West Springfield, Massachusttes, Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar offers a creative, casual American menu with a vibrant atmosphere. Featuring a large bar area and separate dining rooms, Cal's is the perfect location to meet friends for happy hour, take your family for dinner, or to host a corporate meeting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (30)special occasion (30)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (15)hot spot (14)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Just don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014Honestly all the food seemed bought and defiantly not fresh. Dirty glasses. Way to expensive for the (bad) quality of food and portions are way to small. Example got gorgonzola bread as an appetizer and got two tiny pieces of (store bought) Italian bread w/ a smear of cheese. It was bad! Waste of my money! Waste of time! Super disappointed and I will never go back there again! Got chicken parm and tv dinners taste exactly the same... Yuk.
- bad nightPartyOfFourDined on 2/16/2014We have been here many times and have a had good-excellent experience. Unacceptable this visit. Party of 3. Sirloin- chewy, tasteless. Stone Pie-Dry and flavorless. The last was inedible. Pork medallions- Tasted of the Hormel,prepackaged/marinated variety. Over seasoned with unappealing seasoning, very artificial and odd tasting. Over-cooked to very unappealing gray color with a heavy, oniony, salty, gravy. Thankfully I ordered buffalo wings for an appetizer. (Which were very good)..so I at least had something to eat. I had only one piece of the pork and did NOT take it home. Waitress did not enquire to ANYONE in our party as to how our food was, or I would've spoken up.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014The food was very good, I enjoyed the 4 course meal, I left with a good full feeling. I would come back to try their Brunch. I would recommend dining there to anyone who asks me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food at Fair PricesKaren4VIPDined on 2/16/2014Decided to visit Cal's after a trip to the RV show at the Big E. We are not from the area, so we relied on customer reviews before making our dining choice. It was a good choice. Service was attentive, and the food was very good. Being a Sunday, their $21.95 4-course prix-fixe was a bargain. Excellent calamari and salad prefaced a decent house made mushroom ravioli with sautéed chicken breast. The only minor complaint was the chicken was quite dry, but remedied by the rich mushroom sauce that enveloped the dish. Apple strudel with vanilla sauce was outstanding. My husband enjoyed the pizza Margherita. All in all, a very good choice for dining in the area. A nice change from the sea of chain restaurants along the same road.Special Features:
- Great place for a dinner outfftjackDined on 2/15/2014This was a wonderful place for a romantic dinner. The atmosphere was calm and relaxing. The service was attentive, friendly, and helpful. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fish in the areaJDinerDined on 2/15/2014Cal's is consistently good. The fish is well prepared and there are plenty of choices. The dining room is busy and can be a bit loud. This visit, our server was very good and everyone loved their dinners. Using Open table to make a reservation is the best, we were able to walk right in and get seated while there was quite a crowd of walk-ins waiting to be seated. The only negative is the lack of parking, it seems the parking lot is always packed and there are really limited options if you can't find a space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayslimDined on 2/14/2014Everything was great will go again next time down and in the areaSpecial Features:
- hmmmmAndersonDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant looks good and the food tastes great only prob I b had was that the waitress took like 15mins just to take our order and the end of them meal another 10mins just to bring the cheese bookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased as usualadmiralDined on 2/14/2014Our meal was excellent as always. Service seemed a little off... waitress seemed to be rushed and distracted. Forgot to bring me my appetizer. Not a big deal and it was quickly corrected. We are just not used to them getting anything wrong.Special Features:
- Nice dinner, slight disappointmentCtDinerDined on 2/14/2014Visited Cal's on Valentine's Day. With an early reservation there was no waiting for seating for a nice table. Somewhat surprised only one special (considering the occasion) but regular menu has a good selection. Our server was'nt overly friendly but got the job done. Our meals were very good, disappointment came when I asked to substitute a potoato or something else for the cauliflower risotto that cames with my entree. Our waitress seemed unsure and then said that I would just have to take what it comes with on the menu. After salads, we noticed other tables had baskets of bread, so we asked our waitress if bread was available and she then brought out a basket of hot rolls. Nice dinner but not the best we've had at this price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!frequentdineDined on 2/1/2014We go out quite frequently and we were pleasantly surprised by this vibrant, energetic, and wonderful restaurant! The food was fabulous. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Great ambience. One member of our party of four thought is was a bit dark for menu reading. Highly responsive to severe food allergies of our friend. A bit expensive, but worth it. Tremendous choice for a special night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday visit to Cal'sTSLSVIPDined on 2/1/2014Cal's was good for this visit. The Service was particularly good and efficient. For this visit, it was a bit louder than usual given we were seated near several large parties.Special Features:
- As UsualmmadvVIPDined on 1/24/2014Cals Never fails to impress. Outstanding food and friendly service.Special Features:
- Great restaurant. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014Great restaurant. We were in town for a train show and went there 2 nights in a row. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowAnnabelDined on 1/19/2014To treat a son for his birthday and have it almost perfect, makes this special occasion all that, special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to bring special friendsBestfriendsDined on 1/12/2014Love to bring special friends here. Never have been disappointed. Our server was not typical of any of our experiences there. I would still return and recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014I realized when we got to the restaurant I mistakenly made reservations for 4 instead of 5, and although they were extremely busy, they still accommodated us within 15 minutes of our arrival and our reservation time. Food was great, service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Routinely Excellent in Every WayJWeisbrodVIPDined on 1/11/2014Great food, great service, and comfortable atmosphere are the hallmarks of Cal's. We have eaten here a few times and it is steadily a good choice for dinner.Special Features:
- Customer service was poor.BusterDined on 1/8/2014Customer service was poor. Hostess and server were mechanically friendly and not sincere. Food was good - not great.
- Surprisingly great!KeljonhorstVIPDined on 1/2/2014We needed to get off the road due to a snow storm and picked this restaurant out of the blue. We loved the menu, and all of our food was really excellent! Our waitress was very professional but down to earth. We will be excited to try the other restaurants by this organization.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Night CelebrationfirstnightDined on 1/1/2014We've been to Cal's before so we knew what to expect. The food is consistently good with equally good service. We were very satisfied overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveDinner1Dined on 12/31/2013We had a late reservation, table was ready when we arrived. There was a holiday menu, although it was extensive and included all my favorites. Service is excellent, the food is delicious every time. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013We had a great time with some old friends. Everyone's meal was excellent and service was delightful.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceXiomarsDined on 12/27/2013Excellent food and service. It was a special night and I had requested a bottle of the house pino noir upon arrival. The wine glasses and wine were set up as we were seated... thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just one issueDivaoffoodDined on 12/27/2013My sister and I both had salads, she asked for two dressings. Blue cheese which is an extra charge and basalmic. I also ordered blue cheese with an up charge. When we got the bill there was $1.00 charge for two blue cheese dressings at $.50 each, but then there was a $.35 charge for an extra dressing. We found that inappropriate. Having been charged for the blue cheese would have been acceptable but getting an up charge for two dressing was wrong. The basalmic should have been her free dressing then charge for the second dressing of blue cheese. Not a lot of money but just not right! Put a damper at the end of a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas DinnerJoyceDined on 12/25/2013I would have preferred a menu like the Thanksgiving menu but the food was great anyway. I did request a table that would have been more elderly friendly as my Mom uses a walker and the booth was a little crowded and difficult to get in and out.Special Features:
- Xmas Day 2013thebestDined on 12/25/2013My husband & I are gourmet cooks!!! Everything was superb...waited on promptly ...cocktails & bread...my scallops were the best I have had at any restaurant. My compliments to the staff, cooks, and the owner.!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas DinnerEatOutOftenDined on 12/25/2013My family went to Cal's for Christmas dinner. The food and service were very good. Even though the restaurant was crowded because of the holiday, we did not feel we were being rushed to finish our meal and leave the table. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the money!bellaDined on 12/15/2013I had dinner on 12/15 with two other people. We ordered different entrees, each of us had terrible dinners,, and one was sent back and was removed from the check.There are too many other restaurants thatt I would choose to go to that is worth the money.Special Features:
- Great AbiencerobmctDined on 12/13/2013They had my reservation and were very good to accommodate my request for early seating in case we arrived early. We were at a seminar and had limited time to eat. The food was excellent. The salads tasted fresh and just prepared. I sometimes find the salads are pre-made and don't have that fresh taste. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Always great!JulieDined on 12/1/2013A small group of us had an early dinner reservation on a Sunday night. As always, the food and service we're outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!...but...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2013The food was great , prepared and presented quite nicely, but because it was busy perhaps, the service was slow. We were not informed of the specials and only found out there were specials when we overheard our server informing another table AFTER a few tables became available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DinnerJoyceDined on 11/28/2013Great selections including traditional Turkey Dinner which was excellent. I had the scallops and my husband had the red fish also excelllent. The waiters went out of their way to provide a great experience including seating for my Mom who uses a walker. We will probably return for Christmas Dinner and also will try the lunch menu very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Deal & DeliciousFoodieDined on 11/24/2013On Sundays and Mondays there is a $21.95 four course prix fixe that can't be beat. The choices are numerous and the quality and amount of food is definitely above average. We had chicken wings, calamari, caesar salads, steak au poivre, fried seafood platter, apple strudel and chocolate mousse cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What can I say? Yum, yum yum!2datenightersVIPDined on 11/23/2013My husband I and were in town for a 3 day weekend dog trial. We ate at Cal's every night and once for lunch. We liked it so much it became our "haunt". They have excellent food and service. Their prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food. Very busy atmosphere. I recommend reservations on the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent spotTravelerDined on 11/23/2013Visiting Springfield area we tried it out. Accommodated our early arrival and were good about the kids (they put us in a back area as did not see a lot of families). Food was decent to good. I would have a steak without all the sauces on it. Pasta fish was overwhelmed with sauce. Waitress was great with kids.Special Features:
- Found on day-tripRadiodaDined on 11/17/2013Visited the Craft Fair in W Springfield and looked for late lunch/early dinner. This served the purpose but was average. The salad was very fresh and delicious. My fish and chips was soggy inside, the cole slaw and fires very good. My husbands roast pork and mashed potatoes was average at best. Very pleasant, prompt, and courteous service.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysadmiralDined on 11/16/2013The food at Cal's is always perfectly prepared. The only issue was the service.Our waiter seemed in over his head. Kept giving everyone the wrong food and forgot to bring ordered items like sides and drinks. Great restaurant, great food, but I don't like having to remind waiters what everyone at the table ordered. I have never had this problem at Cal's before so it was surprising. Still loving Cal's though.Special Features:
- Girls night out !HelenDined on 11/14/2013got the table I wanted...the waitress was not getting frustrated by us taking our time :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a pleasant visit toTSLSVIPDined on 11/9/2013We had a pleasant visit to Cal's. The restaurant was very busy with a 45 minute wait so appreciated having an Open Table reservation. The food was very good and pace of meal was excellent. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.