Cal's Classic American - Seattle
404 Terry Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109Neighborhood:
Seattle Center / Lower Queen Anne
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cal's Classic American - Seattle
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://calsclassic.com/slu
- Phone: 2062093000
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shannon Galusha
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Cal's Classics for more information.
A word from Cal's Classic American - Seattle
Cal's is a refreshed return to the spirit of the American's favorite foods. Cal's is a neighborhood and family friendly place that is honestly robust. A place to enjoy bold and simply flavored food served up with a commitment to true service and sincere hospitality. We pride ourselves on being Real People preparing and serving Real Food in a genuine and authentic surrounding. A classic restaurant to be enjoyed savored and shared.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cal's Classic American - Seattle reviews from OpenTable diners
- We ordered the grilled asparagus,DorieDined on 6/25/2013We ordered the grilled asparagus, buffalo wings, ribs, prime rib dip, steak salad and a rib eye steak. Everything was delicious. The service was fantastic and the staff very attentive. Wine list was great, too!Special Features:
- I'd go againMMKnappDined on 6/25/2013Went for a late lunch with some friends and their young son. The staff was very helpful in keeping a squirrely toddler happy, and our food was great. A special nod to their ribs, which really impressed me. I'll make it there for lunch again, and not just because its down the street from my office.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time experiencing Cal's.OMD57Dined on 3/17/2013First time experiencing Cal's. We had utilized a Groupon special. Definitely enjoyed the atmosphere and food. Looking forward to any planned additions to the menu.Special Features:
- We've been to Cal's twiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/5/2013We've been to Cal's twice and haven't been impressed with the food. It's a cute place and the service is good, but the food leaves something wanting.
- First time at Cal's for lunch,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013First time at Cal's for lunch, service was great, food was splendid and the beer selection was good as well.Special Features:
- Service was mediocre, at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2013Service was mediocre, at best and aside from the meat platter with tongue and liverworst, most everything on the menu was boring.Special Features:
- The food was good. I had theChowDownSeattleDined on 1/16/2013The food was good. I had the fried chicken. Love the candied Yams, although the biscuit that came with the meal had an odd taste to it. Service was great, and I really like the look and feel of the bar and restaurant.Special Features:
- Clueless Service, Terrible FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/4/2013In a word - "awful." The food and service were terrible. The server seemed utterly clueless about food or service. She described the fish special as "mahi mahi with grilled escolar." Escolar is a fish, but she apparently didn't know that. The side accompaniment was "escarole" (big difference). It is very difficult to find healthy food here - they even boil the shrimp in salt! When this turned out not to be an option for me, I asked about the raw oysters "how do you serve them - by the half dozen?" Her answer "no, they come 6 on a plate." Okay, then. Some people at my table had the crab louie. It looked awful - it was just a tiny bit of crab, tons and tons of mayonnaise, filler and pickles. Yuck.
- Excellent Service - Food GoodDListFoodieDined on 12/30/2012Had an event in SLU and this was the ONLY place that took reservations. Personally, I don't understand this business of not taking reservations. That was, honestly, the tipping point for going to Cal's. My party of 4 really enjoyed the service, cocktails, and food overall though some improvement might help.. The fried chicken was great, though I don't particularly like honey glazed fried potato's. The spinach was yummy. The evening special (Sunday) was prime rib. Two had this and both would have like it more rare, but, said it was very flavorful. Grits/shrimp too runny. Options for those who don't want so much carbo's (aka mashed potato's) would be nice. As promised, 'American-sized' portions, so there were boxes to go. Service=EXCELLENT!Special Features:
- Entrees were very good, andRocky9Dined on 12/22/2012Entrees were very good, and our waiter was attentive and friendly. The desserts were the only disappointment; the red velvet cake was very dry, and the "mounds" creme brulee had too little of not-dark-enough chocolate and there was not enough coconut flavor in the filling.Special Features:
- Beet salad was incredible,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/22/2012Beet salad was incredible, pot roast was very good and burger was also great.
- Bad serviceKatekVIPDined on 12/14/2012The service was pretty bad. I ordered a 2nd drink and it took 20 min to get it. My friend asked about it after 15 min and then ordered a glass of wine in which she got 5 min before my drink came. Server told us she was comping my friends meal- it was over salty and the steak was only so-so. Then the server brought the check and spilt the jug of water and my glass accidentally on me. Everyone around me handed me towels- she just stood there schocked. Finally walked away after thanking us while I dried myself off and never came back by- nor did a manager to check on me. My entire lap was drenched.Special Features:
- Fair to middlingAmyKDined on 12/1/2012So dark it was hard to read menu, especially as the description of food was in a cursive font, small and spidery. Music a bit loud for conversation (I know, what's that?) and the songs were so non-descriptive I couldn't tell if the same song was still playing from the time we arrived to when we left. I thought the woman who served us was just the hostess filling in at the beginning but turned out she was our real server. Chicken pot pie was fair, I think I've had frozen ones that were tastier. Same for the liver and onions and shrimp and grits, fair but not better than what you could cook at home. All the hype about Shannon Galusha being part of the impetus for Cal's was for naught. Any line cook could do this.
- Cal's Classic American - SLUOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2012We celebrated my wife's birthday at Cal's. We also had our 9-month old son in tow so we didn't know exactly how dinner was going to go. Our server really went the extra mile to make our dinner special (including special requests and entertaining the kiddo). They were out of the entree that my wife ordered and the entree that I had eyed on the website was nowhere to be found on the menu. I'm guessing these are th "just opened" restaurant pains and will not be an issue next time we go. The food was good, but the portions were a little smaller than I expected from a comfort food spot; this isn't necessarily a bad thing though. We'll definitely go back and recommend Cal's to everyone!Special Features:
- One of the worst dining experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2012One of the worst dining experiences I have ever encountered. The menu was being updated, which we were notified about after we had all ordered and only 1 of the 5 entrees were available. We then ordered again, and 2 of the entrees still were not available. At that point I knew we should have just left, but we instead stayed. It was our waitresses first night, and she clearly knew nothing about the restauarnt.
- Huge portions if you are hungry..grOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/3/2012Huge portions if you are hungry..great burgers, lamb burger, fries. Amusing menu, friendly service. We took our 20-something boys and they were thrilled to get full. Food is really tasty, heavy and rich. I loved it!Special Features:
- Great potential.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/19/2012Potential to be a great group dining experience with comfort food. Noise level was high, and Friday evening was very busy causing somewhat slow service attention. But worth trying again.Special Features:
- Sucessful Co-worker Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2012A group of co-workers went there for happy hour. They made a table for us to accommodate 10 people or more. I had arranged it the day before because other places nearby rarely had enough seating. The staff was friendly and made good recommendations for us. Everyone enjoyed the food and drinks.Special Features:
- You have got to go there!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012What a great atmosphere at Cal's. The wait staff was fun and the food and cocktails were fantastic! Try the Bartender's Choice martini - give them the alcohol you like and let the experienced bartender make you something great. We loved the basil, ginger martini!!! I hope everyone gives them a try.Special Features:
- It's trying to out-Brave HorseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2012It's trying to out-Brave Horse Brave Horse, but that's impossible. Too meaty, not inspired. The chicken and waffles were good, though.