45 West 81st Street inside the Excelsior Hotel
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calleochonyc.com/
- Phone: 2128735025
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday Brunch: 12pm - 3:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm -10:30pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, South American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rodney Mitchell / Alex Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sit down dinner, buffet, passed hors d'oeuvres & full service off site catering, bartenders & servers available. Please contact us at the number below, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining room seating up to 40 guests. Please contact the restaurant for additional information.
- Private Party Contact: Melinda Anglero / Joe Del Monte 2128735025
- Cross Street: Between Columbus and Central Park West
- Public Transit: 1 at 79th Street and Broadway and B & C at 81st Street and Central Park West.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are meters all along Columbus Avenue and two nearby garages, one at 82nd Street between Columbus & Central Park West & the other on 83rd Street between Columbus Avenue & Amsterdam Avenue.
A word from Calle Ocho
More festive than a piñata stuffed with a mariachi band and twice as stylish, Calle Ocho’s lively crowd is amped up on Mojitos, Caipirinhas, Sangria and Spanish wine or beer and shows no sign of slowing down. Those not willing or able to holler over the salsa music retire to the two small lounge areas to commiserate. The bar area is a prelude to their Nuevo Latino cuisine in the dining room that will knock your taste buds for a loop. If you’re in need of a quick jump-start, Calle Ocho will get your motor running.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLatin American
Calle Ocho - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Calle Ocho reviews from OpenTable diners
266 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (129)great for brunch (101)fit for foodies (94)special occasion (88)neighborhood gem (88)romantic (80)hot spot (66)vibrant bar scene (51)great for lunch (31)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (9)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- If you List it, Serve itRightwriteVIPDined on 9/14/2014We stopped visiting Calle Ocho because they were always "running out" of the dishes we wanted. We went back last Saturday and... guess what... "Our chef or our sous-chef didn't order enough and we haven't any more." Customer satisfaction is a part of any restaurant experience and, if you are continually "running out" of food, at the very least take that food off the menu and don't "continually disappoint" patrons expecting to order what you offer.Special Features:
- Awesome!EpicDreamDined on 9/14/2014I was running a little late due to parking but I was accommodated in a timely fashion. The atmosphere of the place was amazing and the food was also. I've already booked another reservation! This place has become a new favorite of mine, especially for brunch. Who can pass up unlimited Sangria?Special Features:
- Couldn't ask for a better placeDinnerDivaDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent and the atmosphere perfect. My date and I arrived before the reserved time but were quickly accommodated. The food was delicious and the customer service was right on point. After we were seated my date moved himself closer to me. A gentleman (perhaps the manager) came right on over to offer us a corner booth so we can talk and interact through dinner. We didn't even have to ask! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will never come back againfeifeiDined on 9/10/2014The food is not tasty. Definitely do not worth the price. There are few waiters. When you want to find a waiter, you need to wait a long time. We waited for at least 20 min for our entrees after the appetizer. The paella is very disappointing. I will stick to Socarrat and will never try paellas elsewhere.
- For hotel guests only...rjinnycDined on 9/5/2014The front desk person was great. That was the highlight. The margarita at the bar tasted like triple sec. At the table, one of the appetizers was cold. We asked for hot sauce, and had something dumped on the table with no explanation. The ribs were good; the steak was definitely not. French fries were greasy, wobbly, and were better for playing with than for eating.
- Outstanding experienceLovlifeDined on 9/5/2014This was the first time I went to the new location and I had a wonderful time. The food was excellent as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularMikeVIPDined on 9/4/2014I've been to Calle Ocho twice in the last two months and both visits have been outstanding. I used a groupon for one of the visits. Everything from drinks to appetizers to the entree were wonderful! The Picada appetizer for two was amazing. 5 different appetizers samples that is the chef's choice were all cooked to perfection. I had the sea bass both times I was there and it was great. My partner had the Bisteca one time and the skirt steak the next. Both were delicious and cooked perfectly. I highly recommend Calle Ocho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableHoleDined on 9/3/2014It was experience. Food choices were excellent.excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!imameyerhoffDined on 9/2/2014Food was delicious, although a little expensive and heavy on the sauce/butter. Drinks were great. Service was excellent - Natalia is a fantastic waitress!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014I love the yucca bread. All the items we ordered were outstanding. Love Monday night deals on mohitos.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Awesome...MrTeeDined on 8/31/2014We went for Brunch (unlimited Sangria) Great food and excellent service. It took us a month to get another reservation, but it was worth the wait. The food is always delicious and perfectly cooked. The service was attentive but not meddling. Our kid had an accident and the staff was incredibly understanding and helpful. The drinks are generous and never-ending. However, if you are looking for a quiet brunch venue, this is not the place. The people are as vibrant as the colors on the decorative walls. Go, Go, Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Very good for brunch thanks to the unlimited sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceKayNRDined on 8/29/2014Everything from the complimentary bread, appetizers, main course, desserts, and drinks are delicious and decadent. The staff are friendly, professional, and the overall dining experience is pleasant and enjoyable. Calle Ocho is hidden on the side of the Excelsior Hotel so make sure you keep yours eyes wide open and do not let this pass you by. You'll be sorry if you do.Special Features:
- Creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed an excellent dinner at this lively spot. Food was creative and well prepared.Special Features:
- Great placeAmadeus301VIPDined on 8/23/2014We had reservations for 10pm but the event runnlate; we arrived 1045p. We had called and they stated not to worry as they sit people until 1130pm. Food was great; however, we were rushed thru desert and check came right away. It was a not so great ending to an overall great experience. I will certainly go back with a bit more time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice environment - overpricedRRBdayPlanner319Dined on 8/23/2014Beautiful spot, server could have been nicer rushed and not the most polite but hostess was pleasant & sat is before our reservation. Food definitely overpriced & limited. Boyfriend enjoyed his birthday customer service needs improvement.Special Features:
- An old favorite . . .dmisitaDined on 8/23/2014I've loved Calle Ocho since before they moved their location to the Excelsior Hotel. While I miss the vaulted ceilings of the old location, I still love the food. In particular, I love their Arepa appetizer with Ropa Vieja on top. I can and would eat this for every meal for the rest of my life. In general, the wait staff is pretty good. Our experience on this visit was not up to their usual standard.Special Features:
- Latin foodie delightPES2014Dined on 8/17/2014Calle Ocho offers a range of dishes with Latin roots, with modern interesting variations. I particularly liked the ceviches, which were combined with other ingredients in attractive and tasty presentations. The music level promoted a lively atmosphere, but made it difficult for us to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the UWSOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Finding a reservation is often the biggest challenge to this gem! Great balance of price, location, quality of food and service. The sangria is great and adds a unique element to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best bottomless brunch dealfattyVIPDined on 8/17/2014most bottomless brunches in nyc charge you for the alcohol, usually with a flat $15-30. Here, the sangrias are complimentary. i could see why this place is swarming with people. you only pay for the food that you order. i've tried their pollo ranchero and a chorizo benedict; they were both delicious. a little on the smaller side portionwise, but it nonetheless good.Special Features:
- worth the waitBrunch0ClockDined on 8/16/2014I made these reservations on a whim 2 months ago, and I am so glad I did! The service was amazing, never worry about not getting your money's worth because they bring you a new drink before you finish the previous. So glad I made these reservations! I think I'll make another one for in a few months already.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our mealMikeVIPDined on 8/15/2014Went there for my anniversary and was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. From the ceviche to the steak to the sea bass...it was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful findjaalgoDined on 8/15/2014There were seven of us, including friends from Barcelona (who were visiting NYC) and we needed a convenient place for everyone to meet. We found this restaurant, knew nothing about it, but it was convenient for all of us. We got very lucky! Food was very good, service, the same, and because it was restaurant week, the bill was quite reasonable. We will absolutely return!Special Features:
- Overall everything was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Staff and hostess were very friendly and pleasant. Food was great. All in all we had lovely time.Special Features:
- Good Food…Kitchen AsleepLuvfoodDined on 8/13/2014I had wonderful food when my two courses finally came out correctly. The waiter was very apologetic and the presentation was very nice, but my first and main course was not what I ordered and so I was not eating with my companion. The same thing happened at the next table.Special Features:
- Calle Ocho was Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Went to Calle Ocho for first time and it was amazing. The food, ambience, drinks, everything was absolutely wonderful. My 16th wedding anniversary was well spent at Calle Ocho. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Those In Love2315Dined on 8/10/2014Whether you're in love or trying to find love, Calle Ocho will pave the way to setting up the atmosphere, setting the mood and satisfying the pallet. YOU have to provide the rest. Unbelievable find on the Upper West Side. My date was a Vegetarian. After tasting her Vegetarian Paella, I'm now a Vegetarian. Mojito's are authentic, service is fantastic. Food is indescribably delicious. I wouldn't advise taking your boss there, unless of course, you want to fall in love with your boss! Try it once, you'll be hooked. A little pricey, but well worth it. Desserts are rich and need to be consumed slowly, otherwise you risk suffering a sugar rush of mammoth proportion. I really really like this place. Can you tell?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just so soClaireDined on 8/10/2014The ambiance was ok but the food was just so-so. I had a snapper but it was just lukewarm. It seemed like they try to flavor it by adding a lot of fried potatoes. The only thing best out of the meal was the coconut ice cream. I don't think I will go back.
- DisappointingPBrennanVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was the blandest Latin food I have ever tasted. I had the bistec. It was absolutely devoid of any seasoning. I didn't expect it to taste like my family's food, but how can you undercook rice? That is a basic. We were there for a birthday celebration so I didn't want to upset my friend but even she was clearly unimpressed. Perhaps they have to water down their food now that they are in a hotel. Crowd looked a bit dodgy too. Would not go back.
- ImpressedChichiDined on 8/8/2014Great service and delicious food! Wonderful ambiance with attractive decor and proper lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!welovegoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014assorted menu, something for everyone, everything was delicious. bread basket to die for! would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Went on a whimluv2eatDined on 8/3/2014Had a great time. Will return, the food presentation was excellent, and food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- latin flareDivaDocDined on 8/2/2014very fun ambiance, attentive and fun staff, fun vibe, food was great....convenient spot on uwsSpecial Features:
- Great place!len22Dined on 8/2/2014Love the ambience! Plus the service was great. Food for delicious. If you like ropa vieja you should try the Arepa! YUMMY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome MealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014The only thing better than the food is the house made Sangria.Special Features:
- Don't go lateNYCgirl24Dined on 8/2/2014I've been to Calle Ocho with large groups a few times...but typically earlier in the day. This was my first time going at 2:30pm...and it was sadly not as good of an experience. To start, the restaurant was extremely loud. Lots of large groups who have already been drinking, which could account for the loudness. Also, one of my favorite treats is the basked of assorted breads that come at the start of the meal which typically includes muffins, pan de bonos/queso, small cakes. Our tray came out with 6 pan de bonos...no variety. When I questioned the waiter about the basket...he said that he assumed that is all that is left. I had the skirt steak dish which was pretty good....served with fried eggs. No salt/pepper on tables...odd.Special Features:
- calle nochoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014I went here for restaurant week. The food was pretty good, but the service was lacking. I had the Parguito (crispy snapper) which I would recommend.
- FUN DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Great ambience, good service, good food- overall it was a fun dinner nite with friends celebrating my sister's birthday-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 8/1/2014The place is very pretty & chic, nice ambiance, excellent service & the music was great; not too loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousuwsfoodloverDined on 7/31/2014We had different fishes and veggies. Fishes just terrific. Fun, great place.Special Features: