45 West 81st Street inside the Excelsior Hotel
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calleochonyc.com/
- Phone: 2128735025
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday Brunch: 12pm - 3:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm -10:30pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, South American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rodney Mitchell / Alex Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sit down dinner, buffet, passed hors d'oeuvres & full service off site catering, bartenders & servers available. Please contact us at the number below, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining room seating up to 40 guests. Please contact the restaurant for additional information.
- Private Party Contact: Melinda Anglero / Joe Del Monte 2128735025
- Cross Street: Between Columbus and Central Park West
- Public Transit: 1 at 79th Street and Broadway and B & C at 81st Street and Central Park West.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are meters all along Columbus Avenue and two nearby garages, one at 82nd Street between Columbus & Central Park West & the other on 83rd Street between Columbus Avenue & Amsterdam Avenue.
A word from Calle Ocho
More festive than a piñata stuffed with a mariachi band and twice as stylish, Calle Ocho’s lively crowd is amped up on Mojitos, Caipirinhas, Sangria and Spanish wine or beer and shows no sign of slowing down. Those not willing or able to holler over the salsa music retire to the two small lounge areas to commiserate. The bar area is a prelude to their Nuevo Latino cuisine in the dining room that will knock your taste buds for a loop. If you’re in need of a quick jump-start, Calle Ocho will get your motor running.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLatin American
Calle Ocho - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Calle Ocho reviews from OpenTable diners
258 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (121)great for brunch (99)special occasion (91)fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (82)romantic (77)hot spot (62)vibrant bar scene (50)great for lunch (30)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (14)notable wine list (8)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed an excellent dinner at this lively spot. Food was creative and well prepared.Special Features:
- Great placeAmadeus301VIPDined on 8/23/2014We had reservations for 10pm but the event runnlate; we arrived 1045p. We had called and they stated not to worry as they sit people until 1130pm. Food was great; however, we were rushed thru desert and check came right away. It was a not so great ending to an overall great experience. I will certainly go back with a bit more time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice environment - overpricedRRBdayPlanner319Dined on 8/23/2014Beautiful spot, server could have been nicer rushed and not the most polite but hostess was pleasant & sat is before our reservation. Food definitely overpriced & limited. Boyfriend enjoyed his birthday customer service needs improvement.Special Features:
- An old favorite . . .dmisitaDined on 8/23/2014I've loved Calle Ocho since before they moved their location to the Excelsior Hotel. While I miss the vaulted ceilings of the old location, I still love the food. In particular, I love their Arepa appetizer with Ropa Vieja on top. I can and would eat this for every meal for the rest of my life. In general, the wait staff is pretty good. Our experience on this visit was not up to their usual standard.Special Features:
- Latin foodie delightPES2014Dined on 8/17/2014Calle Ocho offers a range of dishes with Latin roots, with modern interesting variations. I particularly liked the ceviches, which were combined with other ingredients in attractive and tasty presentations. The music level promoted a lively atmosphere, but made it difficult for us to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the UWSOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Finding a reservation is often the biggest challenge to this gem! Great balance of price, location, quality of food and service. The sangria is great and adds a unique element to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best bottomless brunch dealfattyVIPDined on 8/17/2014most bottomless brunches in nyc charge you for the alcohol, usually with a flat $15-30. Here, the sangrias are complimentary. i could see why this place is swarming with people. you only pay for the food that you order. i've tried their pollo ranchero and a chorizo benedict; they were both delicious. a little on the smaller side portionwise, but it nonetheless good.Special Features:
- worth the waitBrunch0ClockDined on 8/16/2014I made these reservations on a whim 2 months ago, and I am so glad I did! The service was amazing, never worry about not getting your money's worth because they bring you a new drink before you finish the previous. So glad I made these reservations! I think I'll make another one for in a few months already.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our mealMikeVIPDined on 8/15/2014Went there for my anniversary and was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. From the ceviche to the steak to the sea bass...it was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful findjaalgoDined on 8/15/2014There were seven of us, including friends from Barcelona (who were visiting NYC) and we needed a convenient place for everyone to meet. We found this restaurant, knew nothing about it, but it was convenient for all of us. We got very lucky! Food was very good, service, the same, and because it was restaurant week, the bill was quite reasonable. We will absolutely return!Special Features:
- Overall everything was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Staff and hostess were very friendly and pleasant. Food was great. All in all we had lovely time.Special Features:
- Good Food…Kitchen AsleepLuvfoodDined on 8/13/2014I had wonderful food when my two courses finally came out correctly. The waiter was very apologetic and the presentation was very nice, but my first and main course was not what I ordered and so I was not eating with my companion. The same thing happened at the next table.Special Features:
- Calle Ocho was Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Went to Calle Ocho for first time and it was amazing. The food, ambience, drinks, everything was absolutely wonderful. My 16th wedding anniversary was well spent at Calle Ocho. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Those In Love2315Dined on 8/10/2014Whether you're in love or trying to find love, Calle Ocho will pave the way to setting up the atmosphere, setting the mood and satisfying the pallet. YOU have to provide the rest. Unbelievable find on the Upper West Side. My date was a Vegetarian. After tasting her Vegetarian Paella, I'm now a Vegetarian. Mojito's are authentic, service is fantastic. Food is indescribably delicious. I wouldn't advise taking your boss there, unless of course, you want to fall in love with your boss! Try it once, you'll be hooked. A little pricey, but well worth it. Desserts are rich and need to be consumed slowly, otherwise you risk suffering a sugar rush of mammoth proportion. I really really like this place. Can you tell?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just so soClaireDined on 8/10/2014The ambiance was ok but the food was just so-so. I had a snapper but it was just lukewarm. It seemed like they try to flavor it by adding a lot of fried potatoes. The only thing best out of the meal was the coconut ice cream. I don't think I will go back.
- DisappointingPBrennanVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was the blandest Latin food I have ever tasted. I had the bistec. It was absolutely devoid of any seasoning. I didn't expect it to taste like my family's food, but how can you undercook rice? That is a basic. We were there for a birthday celebration so I didn't want to upset my friend but even she was clearly unimpressed. Perhaps they have to water down their food now that they are in a hotel. Crowd looked a bit dodgy too. Would not go back.
- ImpressedChichiDined on 8/8/2014Great service and delicious food! Wonderful ambiance with attractive decor and proper lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!welovegoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014assorted menu, something for everyone, everything was delicious. bread basket to die for! would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Went on a whimluv2eatDined on 8/3/2014Had a great time. Will return, the food presentation was excellent, and food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- latin flareDivaDocDined on 8/2/2014very fun ambiance, attentive and fun staff, fun vibe, food was great....convenient spot on uwsSpecial Features:
- Great place!len22Dined on 8/2/2014Love the ambience! Plus the service was great. Food for delicious. If you like ropa vieja you should try the Arepa! YUMMY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome MealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014The only thing better than the food is the house made Sangria.Special Features:
- Don't go lateNYCgirl24Dined on 8/2/2014I've been to Calle Ocho with large groups a few times...but typically earlier in the day. This was my first time going at 2:30pm...and it was sadly not as good of an experience. To start, the restaurant was extremely loud. Lots of large groups who have already been drinking, which could account for the loudness. Also, one of my favorite treats is the basked of assorted breads that come at the start of the meal which typically includes muffins, pan de bonos/queso, small cakes. Our tray came out with 6 pan de bonos...no variety. When I questioned the waiter about the basket...he said that he assumed that is all that is left. I had the skirt steak dish which was pretty good....served with fried eggs. No salt/pepper on tables...odd.Special Features:
- calle nochoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014I went here for restaurant week. The food was pretty good, but the service was lacking. I had the Parguito (crispy snapper) which I would recommend.
- FUN DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Great ambience, good service, good food- overall it was a fun dinner nite with friends celebrating my sister's birthday-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 8/1/2014The place is very pretty & chic, nice ambiance, excellent service & the music was great; not too loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousuwsfoodloverDined on 7/31/2014We had different fishes and veggies. Fishes just terrific. Fun, great place.Special Features:
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/31/2014awesome place. looking forward to my next visit made reservations for next week alreadySpecial Features:
- Lovely MealRuthNYDined on 7/29/2014My husband and I visited for Restaurant Week and enjoyed a really lovely meal. The Sangria Roja was delicious. For our first course we chose the Passion Fruit Soup and the Watermelon Goat Cheese Salads. Both were so good! Our main dishes were the Snapper and the Pork. They complemented each other quite nicely - the snapper light and spring-like and the pork with black beans more of a cozy fall dish. I would go again and eat the exact same meal. Friendly staff - well timed meal. Just terrific.Special Features:
- Uneven ... at best ...DJDinesDined on 7/29/2014The food was very good (as expected). Our principal waiter was attentive but his support was awful. At a table for four, at this price point, I expect the meals to be delivered to the appropriate guest. I don't like having to restate who's meals belong to whom to a server either delivering the wrong plate to the wrong customer OR one who is hovering at my side waiting for clarification. Also, another huge annoyance, please do not interrupt conversation to serve plates or ask questions. DO NOT refill water glasses from ACROSS the table (dribbling water from pitcher across table as you do). I mean, really?!?! The venue was clean and comfortable. The food very tasty and well plated. Good venue for food prior to Shakespeare in the Park.I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around hitVisitingFamilyDined on 7/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Calle Ocho. We had our 6-ish kids in tow but the background noise kept us comfortable that we weren't disturbing anyone. Kids menu was standard but the main menu provided plenty of other options and the wait staff was very accommodating. Food was outstanding, especially the tricky paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; nice staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Tasty, interesting dishes accompanied by interesting variety of sangrias and mojitos. We did restaurant week — highly recommended. I've been a few times before and tried various dishes. Have yet to be disappointed.Special Features:
- Upper West Latin AmericanMichaelVIPDined on 7/26/2014Calle Ocho is a great find on the Upper West Side, in the lobby of the Excelsior Hotel. We've been twice and enjoyed exploring the menu. Great twists on ingredients like octopus and calamari, with plenty of traditional preparations like Arepas and Vaca Frita. Nice selection of cocktails and sangrias, too. You can't go wrong with this choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT DINING EXPERIENCEBetaDined on 7/25/2014The watermelon salad and sangria were excellent. Kudos to the chef, bartender, and staff. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedJos23Dined on 7/25/2014I've been a long times customer of Calle Ocho, since it moved it moved to the new location. I must stay I was very dissatisfied with the menu changes. I was in there April and had the pork, having a craving for it, and I went back on Sat. and was very disappointed to not see it on the menu, also they were out the dessert I wanted (something chocolate), so I ordered the flan instead, it was very dry and tasted like custard instead. Don't see myself going back.
- Restaurant Week Reviewadri12490Dined on 7/25/2014From the moment I stepped into Calle Ocho, I knew I was going to have a great dining experience! The atmosphere was very inviting and ambiance was perfect for sitting down and sharing a meal. My party and I arrived 15 minutes before our reservation and we were sat immediately. Our menus were given to us as we sat down along with a delicious bread basket with black bean paste. Our waiter came over very quickly and was attentive to our needs the entire time. I ordered the Sandia for an appetizer, the filet mignon for my entree, and the vanilla mango flan for dessert. Everything was so picturesque and outstandingly delicious! You really get what you pay for here and I left extremely satisfied. Thankyou Calle Ocho for the fine dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snowfl9540VIPDined on 7/24/2014Went for restaurant week, after not having visited for many years, and had a great experience. The food options were diverse and the portions were perfect. They have an extensive sangria list which is unique and fun! The bread that they give you when you sit down is to die for. I will be back outside of restaurant week for sure!Special Features:
- Restaurant week 2014HB2HGDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I love Mexican/Latin flavors, but our 3 children (20,15,12) not so much. I looked at the menu ahead of time and thought we could get away with Calle Ocho. We ate from the price fix menu offered for restaurant week (except the 20 year old who had Paella and loved it - it was a beautiful looking dish) the rest of us all ended up having the same app, a watermelon feta salad (they left off the pickled japs for the kids) and the filet minon with chimichurri sauce. It was deliscious! We have eaten the price fix other places and gotten a sort of half portion or tasting size, but here the portion was large and we all ate every bite. Wonderful ambience and service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spending Restaurant WeekArrayDined on 7/23/2014We got lucky and were able to get a dinner reservation during NYC's Restaurant Week. I don't have the name of all food that they have on their Restaurant Week menu, but I remember the ceviche, sopas and watermelon appetizers, filet mignon, the tasty crusty fish and juicy pork chops. These were all great. Portion sizes were pretty good. We thought that the portion would be downsized due to the promo. We were all stuffed but had time to squeeze in desserts. We got the domino cake, the creme brulee like and the pudding with mango. All thumbs up, definitely. By the way, their bread is just wonderfully baked. I forgot to ask what their spread is made of, but it's better than butter. :-)Special Features:
- Slow.JayLDined on 7/23/2014We waited 45 minutes after finishing our dessert for our check etc, very unimpressed. Food was good, but was spoiled by the service.Special Features: