45 West 81st Street inside the Excelsior Hotel
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calleochonyc.com/
- Phone: 2128735025
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday Brunch: 12pm - 3:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm -10:30pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, South American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rodney Mitchell / Alex Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sit down dinner, buffet, passed hors d'oeuvres & full service off site catering, bartenders & servers available. Please contact us at the number below, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining room seating up to 40 guests. Please contact the restaurant for additional information.
- Private Party Contact: Melinda Anglero / Joe Del Monte 2128735025
- Cross Street: Between Columbus and Central Park West
- Public Transit: 1 at 79th Street and Broadway and B & C at 81st Street and Central Park West.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are meters all along Columbus Avenue and two nearby garages, one at 82nd Street between Columbus & Central Park West & the other on 83rd Street between Columbus Avenue & Amsterdam Avenue.
A word from Calle Ocho
More festive than a piñata stuffed with a mariachi band and twice as stylish, Calle Ocho’s lively crowd is amped up on Mojitos, Caipirinhas, Sangria and Spanish wine or beer and shows no sign of slowing down. Those not willing or able to holler over the salsa music retire to the two small lounge areas to commiserate. The bar area is a prelude to their Nuevo Latino cuisine in the dining room that will knock your taste buds for a loop. If you’re in need of a quick jump-start, Calle Ocho will get your motor running.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLatin American
Calle Ocho - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Calle Ocho reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (132)fit for foodies (108)great for brunch (98)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (87)romantic (77)hot spot (71)vibrant bar scene (53)great for lunch (32)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (17)notable wine list (11)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- The Perfect Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014I went to Calle Ocho for brunch with my boyfriend and will most certainly go back and bring friends! The food was delicious and well portioned. The different kinds of infused sangria on the menu is brilliant. I had the Punta Cana and the Fresas. I couldn't pick a favorite! My boyfriend couldn't pick a favorite one either from the two he had because all options were that great!!! As if that wasn't enough, all the best oldies were playing at a reasonable volume so I was able to enjoy my meal while reminiscing of the past that the music brought me too. I highly recommend Calle Ocho to foodies and appreciaters of a good time everywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAlecLikeBaldwin1VIPDined on 10/17/2014Me and my fiance wanted to try somewhere new on the West Side, and we were blown away by how great this place was. I had the dulce appetizer (MUST GET) and the salmon main course with lobster mashed potatoes (Amazing). She got the bacon wrapped dates appetizer (very good) and the surf and turf (Great, not excellent, and the surf was only 2 shrimp, but great nonetheless). Without alcohol the total was $100, $120 with tip. New favorite restaurant, festive atmosphere, nice digs.Special Features:
- Calle Ochoa rocksFoodieMomDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant is beautiful, with great vibes,good music and great energy. The bar scene is very cool. The service was helpful and available. Loved the salmon,steak and paella.the chocolate cake dessert was fun and so yummy.This place is well worth it especially for that special occasion.Special Features:
- Okay - Nothing ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Went with a group of five on a Saturday night. Place was moderately busy but not full. Service was very good. Tried two different Sangrias, neither of them stood out. Shared the ceviche sampler and appetizer sampler with all. The ceviche had more vegetables than fish. The pulpo was tasty but had little octopus most of the others had too much sauce, not enough substance. Appetizers were good but nothing stood out.
- Incredible food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014As soon as we sat down, the waitress was warm and hospitable. The bread bought in was delicious and warm. Our group ordered the banana sangria was incredibly refreshing! The appearance of our dishes were sophisticated and elegant. We had the empanadas and the shrimp was really good. For our main dishes we had: vaca frita, salmon, and sea bass which thoroughly satisfied us. As for dessert we were most certainly not disappointed either. We chose the domino chocolate cake, the coconut ice cream, and the bread pudding. I have to say the bread pudding was a standout. It was accompanied with an apple ice cream which was superb. I definitely reccomend it and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineVIPDined on 10/5/2014Hadn't been here in awhile and we will be coming back sooner rather than later. Such a welcoming, caring group of people who constantly check to see that everything is okay. And superb service from our server, Lily, who is a real asset. And then there is the food and drink, all of which were very good. There are many excellent choices from which to choose so do so and enjoy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticfoodieDined on 10/5/2014This has been our third visit here and we are never disappointed. The chefs pick of 5 appetizers is akaSys a great start. The Cuban skirt steak is my favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep coming back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014I always recommend this spot as well as invite people here. I went with my uncle and aunt who are VERY PICKY. First off, we were 30 minutes late. I called the restaurant and the hostess was very understanding and assured me that they would accommodate us. And when we finally arrived, they did. We waited probably like 5 minutes. I was very pleased since most restaurants will give up your table. We ordered the picada, calamari was delicious. I usually order the vaca Frita but opted to try something new. I wasn't too thrilled with my entree, Pollo Peruano. It was ok. Not really what was explained but still flavorful. I just wasn't wowed. Dessert was yummy as usual. Overall, great experience, everyone loved the food. As usual, will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gd dining experienceZY14Dined on 10/4/2014The food was good, big portions though. Good for sharing and to enjoy a variety of dishes. Service was good and the waiter was very friendly. Would definitely go back if we've got the chance too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to sayCulinaciousDined on 10/4/2014I've eaten at Calle Ocho several times in the past, and while I was never enthralled with their food, the romantic interior and exotic sounding dishes kept the restaurant moderately interesting. The last visit with another couple cancelled out that thought. The food was so ordinary, that I could have easily reproduced it at home with very little effort. Chicken with platanos really tasted like chicken with potatoes and some tomato sauce. A total bore but not inexpensive. Surf and turf ordered by the men found the steak tough and chewy. If I know how to cook a properly tender steak at home, how come Calle Ocho doesn't. We won't be back in a hurry.
- AwesomeHernandezchr4Dined on 10/4/2014Great experience at calle ocho. Defitnely going back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014I went with some friends for dinner to celebrate a birthday and we had a great time. Ambience, food, decor were all amazing. The staff was incredibly helpful and polite. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsMLMMDDined on 9/27/2014Although Calle Ocho receives numerous top reviews, I was still pleasantly surprised with the great brunch my group had. We entertained our young family from out of town and they had a memorable experience. The food, drinks, ambiance and service were all outstanding and the prices were more than reasonable for such a "hot spot". I've enjoyed wonderful dinners there, and brunch equaled our previous dining experiences. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great for Gluten-free!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014I have celiac disease and was amazed to find all of the gluten-free menu items available. We didn't pick this restaurant because of that, so it was definitely a nice surprise. From the bread on the table to desserts and everything in between, there were plenty of gluten-free options to chose from. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014I came here with my boyfriend for a boozy sangria brunch. The place is filled to capacity with young people eager to enjoy the bottomless sangria. They have 4 reds and 4 whites. The food overall is quite good. We ordered the ropa vieja and the skirt steak both of which we enjoyed. The service is good, but out waiter got a little scattered from time to time. The food prices are a bit high if you're not going to drink. But if you're drinking, the prices are worth it. Large space with room between tables, so even though it's full and vibrant, you still have your space.Special Features:
- Freat innovative foododileDined on 9/20/2014I love their ceviche and every time we go they have new innovative dish. This time I tried the pargito (fish wrapped in crispy kind of yuca). Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pdg123VIPDined on 9/20/2014Everything everyone in our party of four ate was delicious and plentiful. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.Special Features:
- If you List it, Serve itRightwriteVIPDined on 9/14/2014We stopped visiting Calle Ocho because they were always "running out" of the dishes we wanted. We went back last Saturday and... guess what... "Our chef or our sous-chef didn't order enough and we haven't any more." Customer satisfaction is a part of any restaurant experience and, if you are continually "running out" of food, at the very least take that food off the menu and don't "continually disappoint" patrons expecting to order what you offer.Special Features:
- Awesome!EpicDreamDined on 9/14/2014I was running a little late due to parking but I was accommodated in a timely fashion. The atmosphere of the place was amazing and the food was also. I've already booked another reservation! This place has become a new favorite of mine, especially for brunch. Who can pass up unlimited Sangria?Special Features:
- Couldn't ask for a better placeDinnerDivaDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent and the atmosphere perfect. My date and I arrived before the reserved time but were quickly accommodated. The food was delicious and the customer service was right on point. After we were seated my date moved himself closer to me. A gentleman (perhaps the manager) came right on over to offer us a corner booth so we can talk and interact through dinner. We didn't even have to ask! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will never come back againfeifeiDined on 9/10/2014The food is not tasty. Definitely do not worth the price. There are few waiters. When you want to find a waiter, you need to wait a long time. We waited for at least 20 min for our entrees after the appetizer. The paella is very disappointing. I will stick to Socarrat and will never try paellas elsewhere.
- For hotel guests only...rjinnycDined on 9/5/2014The front desk person was great. That was the highlight. The margarita at the bar tasted like triple sec. At the table, one of the appetizers was cold. We asked for hot sauce, and had something dumped on the table with no explanation. The ribs were good; the steak was definitely not. French fries were greasy, wobbly, and were better for playing with than for eating.
- Outstanding experienceLovlifeDined on 9/5/2014This was the first time I went to the new location and I had a wonderful time. The food was excellent as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularMikeVIPDined on 9/4/2014I've been to Calle Ocho twice in the last two months and both visits have been outstanding. I used a groupon for one of the visits. Everything from drinks to appetizers to the entree were wonderful! The Picada appetizer for two was amazing. 5 different appetizers samples that is the chef's choice were all cooked to perfection. I had the sea bass both times I was there and it was great. My partner had the Bisteca one time and the skirt steak the next. Both were delicious and cooked perfectly. I highly recommend Calle Ocho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableHoleDined on 9/3/2014It was experience. Food choices were excellent.excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!imameyerhoffDined on 9/2/2014Food was delicious, although a little expensive and heavy on the sauce/butter. Drinks were great. Service was excellent - Natalia is a fantastic waitress!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014I love the yucca bread. All the items we ordered were outstanding. Love Monday night deals on mohitos.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Awesome...MrTeeDined on 8/31/2014We went for Brunch (unlimited Sangria) Great food and excellent service. It took us a month to get another reservation, but it was worth the wait. The food is always delicious and perfectly cooked. The service was attentive but not meddling. Our kid had an accident and the staff was incredibly understanding and helpful. The drinks are generous and never-ending. However, if you are looking for a quiet brunch venue, this is not the place. The people are as vibrant as the colors on the decorative walls. Go, Go, Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Very good for brunch thanks to the unlimited sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceKayNRDined on 8/29/2014Everything from the complimentary bread, appetizers, main course, desserts, and drinks are delicious and decadent. The staff are friendly, professional, and the overall dining experience is pleasant and enjoyable. Calle Ocho is hidden on the side of the Excelsior Hotel so make sure you keep yours eyes wide open and do not let this pass you by. You'll be sorry if you do.Special Features:
- Creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed an excellent dinner at this lively spot. Food was creative and well prepared.Special Features:
- Great placeAmadeus301VIPDined on 8/23/2014We had reservations for 10pm but the event runnlate; we arrived 1045p. We had called and they stated not to worry as they sit people until 1130pm. Food was great; however, we were rushed thru desert and check came right away. It was a not so great ending to an overall great experience. I will certainly go back with a bit more time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice environment - overpricedRRBdayPlanner319Dined on 8/23/2014Beautiful spot, server could have been nicer rushed and not the most polite but hostess was pleasant & sat is before our reservation. Food definitely overpriced & limited. Boyfriend enjoyed his birthday customer service needs improvement.Special Features:
- An old favorite . . .dmisitaDined on 8/23/2014I've loved Calle Ocho since before they moved their location to the Excelsior Hotel. While I miss the vaulted ceilings of the old location, I still love the food. In particular, I love their Arepa appetizer with Ropa Vieja on top. I can and would eat this for every meal for the rest of my life. In general, the wait staff is pretty good. Our experience on this visit was not up to their usual standard.Special Features:
- Latin foodie delightPES2014Dined on 8/17/2014Calle Ocho offers a range of dishes with Latin roots, with modern interesting variations. I particularly liked the ceviches, which were combined with other ingredients in attractive and tasty presentations. The music level promoted a lively atmosphere, but made it difficult for us to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the UWSOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014Finding a reservation is often the biggest challenge to this gem! Great balance of price, location, quality of food and service. The sangria is great and adds a unique element to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best bottomless brunch dealfattyVIPDined on 8/17/2014most bottomless brunches in nyc charge you for the alcohol, usually with a flat $15-30. Here, the sangrias are complimentary. i could see why this place is swarming with people. you only pay for the food that you order. i've tried their pollo ranchero and a chorizo benedict; they were both delicious. a little on the smaller side portionwise, but it nonetheless good.Special Features:
- worth the waitBrunch0ClockDined on 8/16/2014I made these reservations on a whim 2 months ago, and I am so glad I did! The service was amazing, never worry about not getting your money's worth because they bring you a new drink before you finish the previous. So glad I made these reservations! I think I'll make another one for in a few months already.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our mealMikeVIPDined on 8/15/2014Went there for my anniversary and was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. From the ceviche to the steak to the sea bass...it was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful findjaalgoDined on 8/15/2014There were seven of us, including friends from Barcelona (who were visiting NYC) and we needed a convenient place for everyone to meet. We found this restaurant, knew nothing about it, but it was convenient for all of us. We got very lucky! Food was very good, service, the same, and because it was restaurant week, the bill was quite reasonable. We will absolutely return!Special Features: