45 West 81st Street inside the Excelsior Hotel
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calleochonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 873-5025
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday Brunch: 12pm - 3:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm -10:30pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, South American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rodney Mitchell / Alex Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sit down dinner, buffet, passed hors d'oeuvres & full service off site catering, bartenders & servers available. Please contact us at the number below, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining room seating up to 40 guests. Please contact the restaurant for additional information.
- Private Party Contact: Melinda Anglero / Joe Del Monte 2128735025
- Cross Street: Between Columbus and Central Park West
- Public Transit: 1 at 79th Street and Broadway and B & C at 81st Street and Central Park West.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are meters all along Columbus Avenue and two nearby garages, one at 82nd Street between Columbus & Central Park West & the other on 83rd Street between Columbus Avenue & Amsterdam Avenue.
A word from Calle Ocho
More festive than a piñata stuffed with a mariachi band and twice as stylish, Calle Ocho’s lively crowd is amped up on Mojitos, Caipirinhas, Sangria and Spanish wine or beer and shows no sign of slowing down. Those not willing or able to holler over the salsa music retire to the two small lounge areas to commiserate. The bar area is a prelude to their Nuevo Latino cuisine in the dining room that will knock your taste buds for a loop. If you’re in need of a quick jump-start, Calle Ocho will get your motor running.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLatin American
Calle Ocho - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Calle Ocho reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (122)fit for foodies (96)great for brunch (87)neighborhood gem (84)special occasion (73)hot spot (62)romantic (56)vibrant bar scene (41)great for lunch (22)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (11)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Food was phenomenal! Great twist on dishes! Pretty decor, very accommodating staff! Csn't WAIT to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findLizFerFrutDined on 11/21/2014Reservations are a must. And they seated still 25 minute late. Food was amazing and the service fantastic. Just got to bring the patience. It was not packed even for a 9pm seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable service and engaging menu.tusseydDined on 11/18/2014Third time here. Very reliable and commendable service. An engaging menu including desserts. Great place for a date or any memorable meeting. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceBobfDined on 11/15/2014Everything was great! Paella is one of my favorite foods and their paella was fantastic. It was the most flavorful paella that I ever had. The service was excellent with the waiter checking up on things frequently. I would recommend Calle Ocho to anyone looking for Cuban food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Good Food, Medium ValueAlecDined on 11/14/2014Our server was fantastic. We have a gluten allergy and he knew everything about all the menu items, including the delicious yucca-flour bread. The food was good, but the flavors seemed a little muted, and for the prices we paid, I'm not sure it was entirely worth it. That said, we had a gift certificate that dampened the blow, and we had a good time regardless. I wouldn't tell you not to go, but I'm not sure I would personally go again.Special Features:
- wonderful eveningglojoDined on 11/14/2014This restaurant is consistently very good in all categories! Four dinners and each one was excellently prepared, the sea bass was especially rated highly by out of town guests- they will be back before they leave New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunchshay718Dined on 11/9/2014Brunch is always great, definitely worth waiting the month or two it took to get a reservation. It's a huge restaurant so even though it's packed it doesn't feel overcrowded or noisey. Unlimited sangria!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looooove Calle OchobillynkatDined on 11/9/2014This is my boyfriend and my favorite brunch spot. Good food, great sangrias, amazing brunch deals and especially this last time, wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyWorthyDined on 11/8/2014The restaurant was packed. The food took a long time but well worth it. Everything was delicious from the drink to the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reasonable option in the museum areaJoMoVIPDined on 11/8/2014Calle Oche has the feel of a certain leftover era of dining: large open space that gets a little cacophonic, established hotel anchor, stacked plate presentation, white jackets on the servers. As these kinds of places go, the food is serviceable enough, if not exactly the most inspired and not exactly the most consistent. An order of grilled octopus and sliced mojarra, two different plates, yielded delicate slices of octopus that kept a their char and smokey flavor, but rubbery and relatively tastesless slabs of mojarra. A braised pork shank was hearty and flavorful (though drowned in a saucy base of that could be described as a canned corn medley), while the duck was overcooked and unsatisfying. Ultimately, this is the kind of place that exists regardless of reviews. It's proximity to the museum (and limited options in the immediate area) ensures a steady stream of visitors, and given it's age, a steady stream of neighborhood regulars. The night we dined, the enormous space started fairly empty; by the time we left it was packed. That kind of audience means Calle Oche can stay settled in its comfortable niche of being "just, fine", as long as diners are just fine with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, unlimited sangria.CooperCrowleyDined on 11/8/2014My party and I came here for brunch. We had planned this meal about 6 weeks in advance, which seems to be the norm (in my experience) when booking a reservation at Calle Ocho. I had the Maiz y Camarones, which was delicious. My partner had the skirt steak - also delicious. Very well seasoned. The sangria is excellent: I highly recommend the Spanish Harlem red variety. Come here and enjoy! I withheld one star because I thought the entrees came way too quickly. I like to enjoy my meal and the complimentary bread basket. It almost seemed a bit rushed (though I can see how this would be a plus if you are very hungry!).Special Features:
- Still dreaming of shrimp and gritsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014Seriously, I might embarrass myself by going back again and again until the menu changes. So delish! Calle Ocho has amazing food, it's very pretty. Who doesn't love bottomless Sangria? The only complaint here is wow is it loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful timecoreyman97VIPDined on 11/1/2014Everything about Calle Ocho was wonderful. # couples and everyone enjoyed the choices on the menu and what we ordered. Service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FYI411Dined on 10/28/2014Treating ourselves to a wonderful meal prior to the final Allman Brothers show at the Beacon Theatre at this restaurant was a wonderful choice. Our server Lilly was one of the best I have encountered. Her menu descriptions were spot on and the dinner selections were incredible in presentation and preperation and most importantly in taste.Special Features:
- muy buenoladybugDined on 10/26/2014I once again had to order the Vaca Frita because it never disappoints. I always look forward to the mini muffins and rolls to go with the sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Everything was great! The food was delicious and staffs were nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014I went to Calle Ocho for brunch with my boyfriend and will most certainly go back and bring friends! The food was delicious and well portioned. The different kinds of infused sangria on the menu is brilliant. I had the Punta Cana and the Fresas. I couldn't pick a favorite! My boyfriend couldn't pick a favorite one either from the two he had because all options were that great!!! As if that wasn't enough, all the best oldies were playing at a reasonable volume so I was able to enjoy my meal while reminiscing of the past that the music brought me too. I highly recommend Calle Ocho to foodies and appreciaters of a good time everywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAlecLikeBaldwin1VIPDined on 10/17/2014Me and my fiance wanted to try somewhere new on the West Side, and we were blown away by how great this place was. I had the dulce appetizer (MUST GET) and the salmon main course with lobster mashed potatoes (Amazing). She got the bacon wrapped dates appetizer (very good) and the surf and turf (Great, not excellent, and the surf was only 2 shrimp, but great nonetheless). Without alcohol the total was $100, $120 with tip. New favorite restaurant, festive atmosphere, nice digs.Special Features:
- Calle Ochoa rocksFoodieMomDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant is beautiful, with great vibes,good music and great energy. The bar scene is very cool. The service was helpful and available. Loved the salmon,steak and paella.the chocolate cake dessert was fun and so yummy.This place is well worth it especially for that special occasion.Special Features:
- Okay - Nothing ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Went with a group of five on a Saturday night. Place was moderately busy but not full. Service was very good. Tried two different Sangrias, neither of them stood out. Shared the ceviche sampler and appetizer sampler with all. The ceviche had more vegetables than fish. The pulpo was tasty but had little octopus most of the others had too much sauce, not enough substance. Appetizers were good but nothing stood out.
- Incredible food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014As soon as we sat down, the waitress was warm and hospitable. The bread bought in was delicious and warm. Our group ordered the banana sangria was incredibly refreshing! The appearance of our dishes were sophisticated and elegant. We had the empanadas and the shrimp was really good. For our main dishes we had: vaca frita, salmon, and sea bass which thoroughly satisfied us. As for dessert we were most certainly not disappointed either. We chose the domino chocolate cake, the coconut ice cream, and the bread pudding. I have to say the bread pudding was a standout. It was accompanied with an apple ice cream which was superb. I definitely reccomend it and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineVIPDined on 10/5/2014Hadn't been here in awhile and we will be coming back sooner rather than later. Such a welcoming, caring group of people who constantly check to see that everything is okay. And superb service from our server, Lily, who is a real asset. And then there is the food and drink, all of which were very good. There are many excellent choices from which to choose so do so and enjoy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticfoodieDined on 10/5/2014This has been our third visit here and we are never disappointed. The chefs pick of 5 appetizers is akaSys a great start. The Cuban skirt steak is my favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep coming back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014I always recommend this spot as well as invite people here. I went with my uncle and aunt who are VERY PICKY. First off, we were 30 minutes late. I called the restaurant and the hostess was very understanding and assured me that they would accommodate us. And when we finally arrived, they did. We waited probably like 5 minutes. I was very pleased since most restaurants will give up your table. We ordered the picada, calamari was delicious. I usually order the vaca Frita but opted to try something new. I wasn't too thrilled with my entree, Pollo Peruano. It was ok. Not really what was explained but still flavorful. I just wasn't wowed. Dessert was yummy as usual. Overall, great experience, everyone loved the food. As usual, will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gd dining experienceZY14Dined on 10/4/2014The food was good, big portions though. Good for sharing and to enjoy a variety of dishes. Service was good and the waiter was very friendly. Would definitely go back if we've got the chance too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to sayCulinaciousDined on 10/4/2014I've eaten at Calle Ocho several times in the past, and while I was never enthralled with their food, the romantic interior and exotic sounding dishes kept the restaurant moderately interesting. The last visit with another couple cancelled out that thought. The food was so ordinary, that I could have easily reproduced it at home with very little effort. Chicken with platanos really tasted like chicken with potatoes and some tomato sauce. A total bore but not inexpensive. Surf and turf ordered by the men found the steak tough and chewy. If I know how to cook a properly tender steak at home, how come Calle Ocho doesn't. We won't be back in a hurry.
- AwesomeHernandezchr4Dined on 10/4/2014Great experience at calle ocho. Defitnely going back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014I went with some friends for dinner to celebrate a birthday and we had a great time. Ambience, food, decor were all amazing. The staff was incredibly helpful and polite. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsMLMMDDined on 9/27/2014Although Calle Ocho receives numerous top reviews, I was still pleasantly surprised with the great brunch my group had. We entertained our young family from out of town and they had a memorable experience. The food, drinks, ambiance and service were all outstanding and the prices were more than reasonable for such a "hot spot". I've enjoyed wonderful dinners there, and brunch equaled our previous dining experiences. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great for Gluten-free!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014I have celiac disease and was amazed to find all of the gluten-free menu items available. We didn't pick this restaurant because of that, so it was definitely a nice surprise. From the bread on the table to desserts and everything in between, there were plenty of gluten-free options to chose from. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014I came here with my boyfriend for a boozy sangria brunch. The place is filled to capacity with young people eager to enjoy the bottomless sangria. They have 4 reds and 4 whites. The food overall is quite good. We ordered the ropa vieja and the skirt steak both of which we enjoyed. The service is good, but out waiter got a little scattered from time to time. The food prices are a bit high if you're not going to drink. But if you're drinking, the prices are worth it. Large space with room between tables, so even though it's full and vibrant, you still have your space.Special Features:
- Freat innovative foododileDined on 9/20/2014I love their ceviche and every time we go they have new innovative dish. This time I tried the pargito (fish wrapped in crispy kind of yuca). Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pdg123VIPDined on 9/20/2014Everything everyone in our party of four ate was delicious and plentiful. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.Special Features:
- If you List it, Serve itRightwriteVIPDined on 9/14/2014We stopped visiting Calle Ocho because they were always "running out" of the dishes we wanted. We went back last Saturday and... guess what... "Our chef or our sous-chef didn't order enough and we haven't any more." Customer satisfaction is a part of any restaurant experience and, if you are continually "running out" of food, at the very least take that food off the menu and don't "continually disappoint" patrons expecting to order what you offer.Special Features:
- Awesome!EpicDreamDined on 9/14/2014I was running a little late due to parking but I was accommodated in a timely fashion. The atmosphere of the place was amazing and the food was also. I've already booked another reservation! This place has become a new favorite of mine, especially for brunch. Who can pass up unlimited Sangria?Special Features:
- Couldn't ask for a better placeDinnerDivaDined on 9/12/2014The food was excellent and the atmosphere perfect. My date and I arrived before the reserved time but were quickly accommodated. The food was delicious and the customer service was right on point. After we were seated my date moved himself closer to me. A gentleman (perhaps the manager) came right on over to offer us a corner booth so we can talk and interact through dinner. We didn't even have to ask! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will never come back againfeifeiDined on 9/10/2014The food is not tasty. Definitely do not worth the price. There are few waiters. When you want to find a waiter, you need to wait a long time. We waited for at least 20 min for our entrees after the appetizer. The paella is very disappointing. I will stick to Socarrat and will never try paellas elsewhere.
- For hotel guests only...rjinnycDined on 9/5/2014The front desk person was great. That was the highlight. The margarita at the bar tasted like triple sec. At the table, one of the appetizers was cold. We asked for hot sauce, and had something dumped on the table with no explanation. The ribs were good; the steak was definitely not. French fries were greasy, wobbly, and were better for playing with than for eating.
- Outstanding experienceLovlifeDined on 9/5/2014This was the first time I went to the new location and I had a wonderful time. The food was excellent as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularMikeVIPDined on 9/4/2014I've been to Calle Ocho twice in the last two months and both visits have been outstanding. I used a groupon for one of the visits. Everything from drinks to appetizers to the entree were wonderful! The Picada appetizer for two was amazing. 5 different appetizers samples that is the chef's choice were all cooked to perfection. I had the sea bass both times I was there and it was great. My partner had the Bisteca one time and the skirt steak the next. Both were delicious and cooked perfectly. I highly recommend Calle Ocho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.