California Market at Carmel Highlands
120 Highlands Drive
Carmel, CA 93923Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
California Market at Carmel Highlands
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://pacificsedge.com/
- Phone: 8316225450
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: M-F 7:00am-11:00am; Sa-Su 7:00am-11:30am
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-3:30pm; Sa-Su 12:30pm-3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Matt Bolton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from California Market at Carmel Highlands
Dine al fresco overlooking the magnificent Yankee Point, or indoors surrounded by the rustic décor of the California Market restaurant, where something for every taste is served in a casual, bistro setting. Select from a menu that features a delightful breakfast array, Carmel’s freshest seafood and fresh local produce, along with gourmet sandwiches and daily specials. Take in the spectacular views from the large redwood deck or the warmth of our restaurant’s pot-bellied stove and enjoy our friendly and attentive service. Reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
California Market at Carmel Highlands - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
California Market at Carmel Highlands reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (44)scenic view (43)great for lunch (38)romantic (27)great for brunch (25)special occasion (20)fit for foodies (9)notable wine list (7)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- AnniversaryIsayanniversaryDined on 9/6/2014Food very good, but a little price-y. $4 for coffee and Diet Pepsi? A bit much. That is o.k. for the rich and famous, or for occasional visitors like us who are celebrating. Could've used some bread for the lunch salad.Special Features:
- FABULOUS view & setting!flavorseekerDined on 8/24/2014To eat really good food/drink & be in a setting with such an amazing view (if you sit outside on the deck) is truly a special/memorable. If you are going to Carmel area you must come here for lunch! I wish I lived closer so I could go more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning Views, Excellent ServiceJulibbbDined on 8/22/2014I've been coming here for years now -- and it just keeps getting better and better! Sunny gorgeous day sitting out on the patio and watching the whales spout and breach! Can life get any better than this? Loved the Crème Brulee and the drinks are to die for! Salads are so fresh and crisp and the best ingredients used! Tony our waiter is a true gem of this place - been there for 19 years and goes above and beyond what any server does! Always happy and it's seems like a pleasure for him to serve us! Can't say enough about this very kind man! EXCELLENT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backterilouDined on 8/19/2014This was our third time visiting this lovely dining place. We sat outdoors and were able to enjoy not only the wonderful menu but also a beautiful view of the water, service was excellent. Our food, the Monterey Salad and Fish Tacos were wonderfully fresh and delicious. The onsite Blue Jay apparently loves this place also, he wisked a pat of butter from our table, very amusing!!! Thanks we will be back on our next visit to the Monterey area!!!Special Features:
- A favorite place for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Spectacular view, lovely relaxed environment and good fresh food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Views!RubySlippersDined on 8/12/2014Bring a jacket and settle in for the best views! Our server was attentive, my Cobb salad had a nice mix of fresh vegetables, and the location is perfect. The menu has plenty to choose from. Perfect view of the ocean and Carmel Highlands. A blue stellar jay dropped by looking for a bite to eat. Great first visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An EventLongTimeResidentDined on 7/31/2014I have been a long time resident of the Monterey - Highlands Area.The Inn has been magnificent from the 50's and 60's till now. The view was romantically superb and the wife enjoyed her smoked salmon!! The ambience was just what I remembered from earlier days. I naturally took pictures to preserve the Event. I definitely want to show others our experience. We enjoyed a wonderful, leisurely, relatively quiet morning with sumptuous food and a thrilling view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best musselsRickzVIPDined on 7/29/2014I started off with the mussels appetizer. The broth was loaded with garlic and sliced heirloom tomatoes. The baguette was buttered and grilled. The PEI mussels were very tasty, a nice medium size, and plentiful. Definitely a great way to start and something I will have again. The vegetable sandwich was delicious, all fresh, nice portabella, avocado, tomato, ... The meal was perfect. We sat under an umbrella by the railing (both requested when making the reservation - it always helps to make reservations) but would have been OK because the day was a little overcast and the temperatures were mild. Yes, it is a trifle expensive but the view and the food make it worth it.Special Features:
- Fantastic lunch with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014What a wonderful place for lunch. Amazing food with a truly stunning view! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfastgiorgioDined on 7/16/2014The waiter and food were outstanding! Over the top! The view of Big Sur on the patio was incredible! We loved it! Would recommend to everyone!Special Features:
- Always livelyNancyDined on 7/10/2014The breath taking view is complimented by the good food and attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- Good View in Need of CuisinePeninsulaFoodieDined on 7/6/2014A world class view and ambience on the terrace overlooking the Big Sur coast. Both the food quality and service has an uphill climb to reach the level of the view.Special Features:
- BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2014The food and service were very good but we went more for the view. Often times this time of year there is fog early, and there was. We still had a beautiful view. We went for breakfast. The heaters outside we're broken that morning or we would have sat outside. That was the only disappointment to the experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful Lunch - Mediocre ServicecarmelcoasttravelerDined on 7/1/2014Having eaten here often, I was disappointed today. Took a friend for a special lunch. Because it was windy and foggy, we ate indoors (normally very pleasant) but service was particularly slow & inattentive. Took forever to get our food, but we were rushed when they decided we should leave. And, a family occupying a corner table had young kids playing cards & shouting so loudly that most of the rest of the diners were very uncomfortable. My friend & I, seated in adjacent chairs at our table could barely hear each other. Server said, 'Well, they would normally be outside where you wouldn't hear them as much.' Absolutely not an excuse. Food, as always, was very good. Excellent burger & seared ahi salad; great carrot cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View!BoxterDined on 6/27/2014We had lunch outside. The weather was gorgeous, and the view was beautiful. It took a while for someone to acknowledge that we were there and bring waters. I had the halibut sandwich (delicious) and my husband had the fish tacos (he liked them but said the mayo based was a little too much - we've both had better fish tacos for a lot less. The portions were huge, we could have split one dish. We may try breakfast some time. Overall, it was very good, but pricey, like most restaurants in the Monterey area. You're paying for the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. sceanic ocean viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Food was excellent. Service was very good.. beautiful. . Table for 2 is right off the cliff. table for 4 not so scenicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience !curtisDined on 6/26/2014Our party of five had a wonderful lunch. Outstanding in every way. We had the halibut sandwich, fish tacos, grilled cheese and the portobello sandwich. The wine list is excellent. The service was perfect. On top of all of this was the perfect weather and incredible view. A great spot.Special Features:
- What a view!GoodeatsDined on 6/24/2014Great breakfast menu with good variety. The food was excellent with unique presentation.Special Features:
- relax with lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014all the elements necessary to add up for an excellent are located here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Beautiful ViewShutterpegDined on 6/16/2014We had a late lunch at California Market on a recent Monday in June, 2014, and it was well worth it. The view of the shore and the food were both amazing. I had the Point Reyes blue cheese salad, my husband had the fish tacos, and my daughter had the mussels. We were all thrilled with our selections. Each of us enjoyed a glass of white wine as well, with each of us choosing a different wine. Again, we were all very pleased with the wines. The selection of wines by the glass is very good, and there is a much more extensive list of wines by the bottle. When we are back in the area again, we will definitely visit California Market again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarmeloverDined on 6/14/2014The view of the rugged coast of Carmel Highlands from the outside dining deck is one of the best in the US. Pricey food, but very good. Clam chowder and French fries are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableChachiVIPDined on 6/5/2014CA Market was a great find and one to come back to. I had an outstanding Halibut sandwich. The soup was delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful viewbaboonDined on 6/3/2014Very nice view! We sat on their beautiful deck with the heaters on since it was cooler. It was very nice. The food was pretty good and the service was okay... When it was time to pay our server was MIA so that took longer than it should have... If you eat there and use a cc be aware they put an extra hold just like hotels doSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic view, stylish food.Luthera77Dined on 6/2/2014My husband and I recently enjoyed a beautiful view over the coast in the Californian sun one lunchtime during a Pacific Coast Highway trip. Service was efficient and unobtrusive, my Ahi Tuna salad was beautifully cooked with a lightly dressed salad. My husband enjoyed his spicy Fish Cioppino, sadly neither of us imbibed as we were sharing driving duties that day. The wine list appeared tasteful and varied however, with an agreeable range of prices. Fellow diners were quietly conversing and enjoying the view. Tables were appropriately distanced to enable a feeling of private space. For the quality of the food, I felt the menu was reasonably priced. I would certainly recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2014Went for a special occasion - birthday celebration brunch. The service was lacking, the crab omelette had no flavor & was hardly worth the expensive price. We had to send the other omelette back. Had to ask several times for each thing we needed. Very disappointing experience over all. I have had lunch there & it was really good. Not sure why the brunch experience was so lacking.Special Features:
- Great view and even better servicecinnamonheartDined on 5/24/2014We made lunch reservations for the great view and left having the great view along with good food and great service. The service made the view and the food even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 75 reviews are from the California Market at Carmel Highlands reviews archive.
- Highlands brunchPositiveDiningDined on 5/16/2014We got married here and circle back a few times a year to remember the venue and we always enjoy the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Place to be!JayceeVIPDined on 5/10/2014We love this place.We have been there for nice family celebrations. I think it will continue to be a special spot for us!Special Features:
- serversPegasusDined on 4/30/2014Tony, and Shama are the best of all the servers.. Get them when you can. The view from the outside seating is spectacular.Special Features:
- PipermaruDined on 4/22/2014Food was great and so was the ambience and ocean view. Female hostess was nice. Male waiter was nice. But no one bothered to follow up after the food came. No one came around at all so no one to ask for the toast that was supposed to come with my omelet. They totally forgot. No one to ask for drink refills. Hostess came back eventually but only to bring the bill. So I would not recommend this place nor would I come back.
- Not bad but could be betterjaz2020VIPDined on 4/19/2014We've had worse hotel experiences--but also far better ones. The staff is disorganized (my DH has a degree in hotel/rest mgmt, and was appalled). Don't show up early, they want to ignore you until noon. Don't ask for simple requests (no peppers on the steak sandwich, pls) because they won't remember. They don't care who wanted the rare steak vs the medium-rare steak. Pros: Food is pretty good for a hotel restaurant. Ocean view is spectacular on a sunny day, but note patio umbrellas are fixed position, can't be moved around. Hotel grounds poorly marked: turn up the drive, go past Tickle Pink Inn, take first right. Visitor parking lot (unmarked) immediately on the left; both hotel restaurants straight ahead in main building on LH side.Special Features:
- Always Fun!SyrahGirlVIPDined on 4/12/2014Beautiful views and very good food make California Market one of our faves for lunch in the area! :)Special Features:
- Really nice ambiencemcheeDined on 4/12/2014It was a very nice place and I will be coming back again, hopefully real soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem!JayceeVIPDined on 3/30/2014This is our second time to this restaurant. The view is wonderful, high atop a hill overlooking the ocean.The food is delicious and we will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation IrrelevantMiltonDined on 2/13/2014The fact that we had reservations seemed irrelevant as we were given the last available table which happened to be the worst. Unfortunately this diminished our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GEMJayceeVIPDined on 2/1/2014This was a wonderful experience. It was my birthday and everything was perfect. We each had a delicious swordfish sandwich which was served with either french fries or a salad. We had a dessert & the server put a little happy birthday sign on it. We plan to return again soon. The view was absolutely breathtaking!Special Features:
- HookedBirdsEyeViewVIPDined on 2/1/2014This is our third time. We discovered this gem 2 years ago and we will make it point to have lunch here whether we're staying on the area, visiting the Bay Area or Wine Country--it's worth the drive. The views are breathtaking and while we were disappointed in not being able to sit outside, we still had the views and the food. I had my favorite a succulent swordfish sandwich and my wife had the to die for fish tacos. We will be back and we can't wait for our next opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mid-week experienceseniorsDined on 1/15/2014We found outdoors too hot (!) and umbrellas did not tilt for good shading. . .we ate indoors, same great view, delicious food, but had to find a server after having been seated for some time to receive service. The attitude of the 2nd server far improved over initial one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Meal and LocationrobbyjDined on 1/1/2014This place has great food and whale watching too. They will lend you binoculars if you don't bring your own. for best viewing come as a party of two ( or be willing to split up). Tables by the railing are for two only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent location, limited lunchiwatchthecorpsVIPDined on 12/29/2013Went to California Market twice during our visit to the area between Christmas and New Years 2013. On our first visit, we had the calamari and the burger. Today, we had the special Monterey Dungeness crab sandwich. Both visits were remarkable by the view from the deck, the quality of service, and the delicious food. The pesto aioli perfectly complemented the calamari. The remoulade on the crab sandwich was subtle and yummy. The crab cake seemed to be ALL crab. Maybe there was some binder but it was a minority constituent. Given the traffic in Monterey, the crowds in Carmel, and the beautiful view, we will definitely return to California Market for a great lunch. Also saw 4 whales. Can't beat that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.