California Cafe - Los Gatos
50 University Avenue
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
California Cafe - Los Gatos
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.californiacafe.com/losgatos/index.php
- Phone: 4083548118x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am – 5:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm – 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
Every Day 3:00pm-6:00pm *3-4-5 Happy Hour not available Holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Leo Lopez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from California Cafe - Los Gatos
Located in charming Old Town, California Cafe offers an escape from the outside world. We feed the senses - California style - through our chef-driven creations, engaging service, and relaxing ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
California Cafe - Los Gatos - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
California Cafe - Los Gatos reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (44)great for outdoor dining (43)neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (34)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (26)scenic view (24)great for brunch (23)romantic (9)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not up to it's usual standardshibarDined on 10/22/2014While the wait staff was very attentive, the kitchen was slow, particularly with the appetizers. Two rib-eye steaks were kind of chewy...not the best cuts.Special Features:
- Warm and InvitingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014We had a fabulous lunch at California Cafe in Los Gatos. The manager and staff were extremely warm and inviting upon our arrival. We were seated near a window in a quiet spot that accommodated the seven of us. Our waitress was friendly and very knowledgable about the menu. Everyone enjoyed their lunch selection - from the Kale and chicken salads to the juicy bacon burgers. The manager came by our table mid-way through our lunch to ensure that everything was perfect, which it was. Our waitress was happy to let us linger over coffee and pumpkin cheesecake, which was also wonderful. I highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion - lunch, dinner or brunch.Special Features:
- Great day in the south bayBobroyerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Old town Los Gatos is a great place to spend the day. After all that shopping, California Cafe is a wonderful place to relax, enjoy some wine and have some interesting food. The wait staff is amazing. The food has its own unique presentation. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatTruckeeloverVIPDined on 10/17/2014Lots of restaurants in Los gatos not worth the time or the money. Not willing to work with needs or wants of the customer! Wanted to switch veggies that were offered with another dish and my husband wanted mine they said no substitutions so we did the switch. How dumb? They said they had gf options but there were none you just couldn't order half the things on the menu!
- The CACafe FiascoPortoletDined on 10/17/2014We sat in a booth close to the kitchen. It was incredibly annoying to listen to the cooks yelling order-related commands at each other. The kitchen is relatively small, there is no need to yell... it appears to be more of a cultural thing that the restaurant or kitchen manager has failed to manage. I used to be a regular (2-4 times/mo) but I don't think I'm going back. The quality of the food and service are at the one-star level. Sad.Special Features:
- Family dinnermimipDined on 10/12/2014We had a double birthday dinner and everyone was able to pick a meal that was enjoyable. The atmosphere is pleasant and the food and service were goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dinner with The Girlsfood2goodDined on 10/8/2014Had lots to celebrate with girlfriends. We had the best service, the kindest wait staff and the food was really outstanding!!! Oh, the bread pudding!Special Features:
- Service not to par with restaurantLelenitaDined on 10/5/2014Recently went there for brunch to celebrate a birthday. The food was good but the service lacked. We asked our waiter several times for a children's menu which never came. Another waiter came to our rescue and she was great. A group sat next to us after us and was served first. The restaurant was not crowded so no reason for the delay. Would I drive from SF to eat there again - no way.Special Features:
- Good Food Mediocre ServiceDelSharDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I have dined at the Calfornia Cafe on numerous occasions. We chose to take my visiting grown nephew and niece there since he used to come to Los Gatos when he was a boy to visit my parents. In the past we had always had good food, good service at a reasonable price. This time the food was good, but it was more expensive than in past visits. On top of this was a server who showed up to take our order, get or drinks and then disappear until I had to hunt him down to pay our bill. Hopefully this was a one time event. We will most likely come here again. But if the prices continue to rise and the service suffer. it may be our last.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceliketoeatoutDined on 10/3/2014Service was great, no waiting with the reservation. Food was excellent. There were 4 of us and we all had something different. Everything was good.Special Features:
- So disapointedJaledfordDined on 9/27/2014We as a group(8-9 guests) have been coming here for the last 10 years. The food is great - usually. This last visit was horrible. I understand that servers have "off" nights where nothing seems to go right, but this was BAD. Salads were forgotten or incorrect, water glasses dry, drinks forgotten or waited for over 30 minutes. One entree was brought out and after 20 minutes the other 8 entrees were still missing. The place was not crowed, and a chef sat at a table next to us visiting for over an hour. When we asked another server to help, he just got ours to come apologize. We never saw a manager, though we asked for one. The bill came and nothing was taken off. Not even the missing side dishes. We were so upset, we paid the bill and left.
- Always goodELLEDined on 9/27/2014We had a very nice brunch and lunch. We always enjoy coming here. The only comment that I would make was that it seemed to take along time to bring the desserts.Special Features:
- needs new managementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The good was pretty.good but the service was so bad it distracted from our food. Waited ten minutes for a drink order, 15 minutes for the drinks (one of which was wrong) then hit our seized after the salad and entree and after we told the waiter to forget the appetizer. Of course charged for everything (even the wrong drink thigh he took that if when we asked).Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsFoodEDined on 9/20/2014Been trying to go here for a while. It had been recommended. I'm not sure what the old menu was but apparently they have a new executive chef. I asked one of the chefs (not the executive) that had worked there w hike about recommendations. So I went with one of his personal favorites the lamb bolognese. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The food was delicious; the service excellent; and the ambiance pleasant. All in all, a great dining experience. In the past, I have eaten on the patio, which is quite lovely.Special Features:
- A delicious dining experienceInMyOpinionDined on 9/17/2014Ours was a group of six more mature ladies, celebrating the engagement/soon-to-be-wedding of one in our group. The restaurant was not busy on this particular Wednesday evening, which had me wondering if some reviews were correct re: food/service. Not to worry! I'm not sure about my dining companions, but my salmon was absolutely exquisite. I shared a delicious bread pudding with two of my friends for dessert. Ben was our server. Our little group was a bit giddy with happiness for our betrothed friend, and Ben went right along with our playful tone. He also quickly answered all of our foodie questions. Excellent service throughout and we were quite pleased we chose California Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHariDined on 9/14/2014The food was just ok...Lovely view....but ordinary fare(when it comes to food) and not so great service doesn't make it worth it.
- Wishing for a better experienceAly0Dined on 9/14/2014Waiter poured red wine all over the table as he missed the wine glass and slated wine on my mom and daughter and then tried to wipe of the glass and pour again. I had to tell him to get a new glass. We were there for my mom's birthday celebration lunch, after the wine spill I was hoping they would do the right thing and remove the glass of wine from our bill, no luck. This was my third try there, will not be going back. It's such a shame cause the venue is so nice and food is good. All three times there has been wait staff issues, wish management was more put together with running the restaurant.Special Features:
- Dark and slow serviceDisappointedDined on 9/13/2014Party of 2. We had a table outside next to the doors so there was too much foot traffic for a romantic dinner (1) Bad location for a table for 2. Service staff would walk right behind me btwn my chair and the wall of the restaurant sometimes bumping into my chair - very distracting (2) The service staff shouldn't be trying to squeeze through. We waited an extended period of time for our main entrees. Even a table of 4 received their food before we did and we arrived at least 20 minutes earlier. The waiter didn't even come back to apologize or explain. (3) At least give us an update on service. We sat outside but it was at least 45 minutes until they turned the lights on after it was already too dark to see the food.Special Features:
- Very GoodCalibriVIPDined on 9/10/2014Since moving from Los Gatos, I hadn't been to the California Cafe in a while, but I wasn't disappointed. The food was very good and the waiter - outstanding!Special Features:
- bobcathDined on 9/5/2014California Cafe has been our go-to for a upscale lunch for a number of years, we have taken numerous friends with us and always felt that it was a "safe" place for a great lunch experience. Friday was a huge let down, I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAS HAPPENED, new owners/new chief/new wait staff? The calamari appetizer was very rubbery like it had been cooked earlier then reheated (the cost was deducted from our bill by the manager) three of us had the the caesar salad, the lettuce was extremely wilted, as if it had been left out for hours, two of us had the Korean steak and there was not a knife supplied to cut it with, we had to flag down a waiter to get a knife, my wife ask for additional ice water and the waiter brought a glass of ice. No return!
- Restaurant OK, parking terriblemeeeDined on 9/5/2014Once we finally got to the restaurant, the service was good. It was a warm day, and even though I had made a reservation, the only seating we could get was outside in the sun. We took it as we had had a terrible time finding a parking place. Go early, rather than late for lunch. I think parking is easier before 11:30. There should have been more umbrellas for outside dining--the owner said he had more on order. We both had the beet salads--Baby Beet & Arugula gold beets, spiced pecans, goat cheese, honey sherry vinaigrette on the menu. There was a large quantity of arugula compared to the small beets, a little bit of goat cheese, and no pecans. It may be a while before I return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014We had trios for lunch selection and it was more than enough food to eat for lunch but the food quality was average not too impressive but outdoor seating was very pleasant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long time FavoriteSandygmtDined on 8/31/2014The California Cafe is a favorite brunch stop for my husband and I. The view of the hills is a lovely compliment to the wonderful. You have choices that range from classics like eggs, bacon, & home style potatoes to wonderful creations like the Short Rib Benedict. Brunch is always accompanied by great Bloody Marys, Mimosas and steaming hot coffee. California Cafe is a must not miss brunch spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gogoDined on 8/30/20142 1/2 to eat and the restaurant was NOT full. Food was bland, not fit for foodies, didn't have the wine we wanted on their menu, and service was SLOW. Bread was the best part of the meal. Tool bad… this COULD be a neighborhood gem.
- AppetizersluvlosgatosDined on 8/30/2014I really liked the pot sticker appetizer and the salmon entree was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef doing greatPanebVIPDined on 8/29/2014Our server mentioned a new chef and some changes to the menu. We gave them a try and were glad we did. More complex salads, nicely done vegetables, delicious sorbets & gelatos. Looking forward to more innovations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014I found California Cafe to be just ok. Nothing objectionable, but certainly not great. The Gazpacho was actually quite good, but nothing else was better than fair.
- It was loud. Not enough veggiesWants1veggiesVIPDined on 8/26/2014Very loud could not here each other talk. Not enough veggies in my salad. Wanted out door seating non availableSpecial Features:
- Great food, great atmosphereWorldTravelerDined on 8/23/2014We have eaten at the California café many times over the years and it has become our "go to" restaurant when we entertain out-of-town visitors. I had the braised short ribs and they were so tender that I didn't need a knife to cut them. The service was impeccable and our waiter (who was from Lebanon) was the consummate advisor on our menu choices. I rarely recommend places to dine because, over time, they tend to devolve and to disappoint. California Café is the exception to my rule.Special Features:
- DisappointingElizabethDined on 8/19/2014I planned ahead and chose California Cafe for lunch. Although the ambience was beautiful, the overall experience was disappointing. They were not ready for us at our reservation time, though the restaurant was only half full. We were seated at a window booth (as requested) in the back next to a group of women with very young children who were squealing, running around and playing under the various tables. Our waitress seemed surprised to see us (after 20 minutes). She forgot about the bread. "Oops." Lunch took 45 minutes to arrive after we ordered. My veggie salad was bland yet soaked with dressing and not edible. (Chiptole? Never tasted it) Such a shame.
- CarlaDined on 8/18/2014Experience would have been great except that the restaurant was crowded and the service was notably slower because of that.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerluvlosgatosDined on 8/16/2014We decided to spend our 43rd anniversary at the California Cafe. The food was delicious, the atosphere was relaxing , and we had a booth that faced the beautiful sycamore trees. And we received an anniversary dessert of gelato! Everything was just great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchBrunchBunchDined on 8/10/2014It's wonderful to sit outside on the patio @ CA Cafe for brunch/lunch in the summer. It's always busy and while the service is good, it can be a little slow.But who's in a hurry on a beautiful Sunday morning? The menu is fairly varied, so there should be something for everyone, including vegetarians. While I didn't imbibe this time, their mimosas or bloody mary's are always an added treat. Overall a most enjoyable experience. It's also always fun to poke around in the shops @ Old Town after your meal.Special Features:
- California Cafe Reviewsmores64Dined on 8/7/2014We went to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. I give high marks for almost everything at this restaurant. The atmosphere and ambience was terrific. The view from our table was also very good and last but not least the service was also outstanding. We both ordered fish, he ordered the salmon and I ordered the swordfish. They were both good but a bit dry and the peas that came with the salmon tasted more like frozen peas than fresh ones. The dessert of caramel bread pudding was delicious though. Overall, I would recommend this restaurant but next time I would order something other than fish.Special Features:
- Great sendoff for our guestPatrishDined on 7/29/2014On our way from Santa Cruz to San Jose airport, we wanted to treat our guest to one last good meal, and we weren't disappointed. I wanted something healthy and found a kale and mushroom ravioli plate, and our guest had the bbq chicken. It was all good! Only four stars because we had trouble finding some shade on the patio and there were a few meat-eating bees, but how can the restaurant be blamed for not controlling Mother Nature? I would happily dine there again.Special Features:
- outstanding lunchfoodloverVIPDined on 7/25/2014we had my birthday lunch here. this is the first time as a couple. our prior visits were with groups. we totally enjoyued ourselfs. had a table by the window. super service from Chad. not extrem;y crowded for a friday lunch.Special Features:
- Always enjoyablenjfoodieVIPDined on 7/21/2014Have only been here for lunch, enjoy it very much. The service is knowledgeable and attentive. Particularly like the menu option "Trio", which allows you to select one item from three different groups so you can try several items. It was too windy for us to sit outside this time but there is patio dining and good people watching available. And inside you still get a nice view out the back window. The food is good and I always find lunch here relaxing and fun.Special Features:
- pizza2goDined on 7/20/2014the restaurant was not busy so it was fairly quiet. Our server (Pierce) was very attentive. Our dining experience was good considering one of guests told us that their dining experience when they were there last was not that good. We mostly likely will go back for another meal to experience the service when the restaurant is busy...then we'll know if it's indeed worth dining at California Cafe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful treat for any VIP :)PriscillaDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant is absolutely amazing! The atmosphere is beyond extraordinary; it's quiet, beautifully decorated, and relaxing. The food is to die for. Personally I had the short rib which was mouthwateringly delicious. Also the dinner bread and accompanying dipping sauce had so much flavor, however it's only for those that like a lot of garlic which I do. Overall this place is the perfect choice to take the VIP in your life to.Special Features: