California Cafe - Los Gatos
50 University Avenue
Los Gatos, CA 95030Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
California Cafe - Los Gatos
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.californiacafe.com/losgatos/index.php
- Phone: (408) 354-8118
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am – 5:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm – 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:00pm – 9:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
Every Day 3:00pm-6:00pm *3-4-5 Happy Hour not available Holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Leo Lopez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from California Cafe - Los Gatos
Located in charming Old Town, California Cafe offers an escape from the outside world. We feed the senses - California style - through our chef-driven creations, engaging service, and relaxing ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
California Cafe - Los Gatos - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
California Cafe - Los Gatos reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (41)great for lunch (40)special occasion (39)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (31)scenic view (25)great for brunch (22)romantic (15)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- AverageRobertDined on 11/21/2014The Calamari was over cooked! It probably cooked in the old and hot oil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a good meal and conversationSJB3Dined on 11/16/2014The menu is new and the dishes are very tasty. It was a great place to celebrate a birthday, relax and talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterraredatenightDined on 11/15/2014Experience was a little disappointing this time. We made reservations (through Opentable), got there on time, and had to wait for over 20 minutes to be seated. There were also a number of tables that were empty so maybe they were understaffed that night. Service wasn't up to our usual expectations as our server got our drink order wrong and forgot out coffee (at least she didn't charge us for the coffee). We've had good service in the past so hopefully this was a one time event.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cal cafeDinnerVIPDined on 11/15/2014it was a very disappointing dining experience. Had eaten there before and surprised at how bad it was. The main course was delivered before appitisers were finished. They returned 10 min later with the same .. Now cold food When asked they did return with freshly prepared plates. The services was polite but felt like they were only interested in turning a table
- Our 60th Anniversary dinner!sallyDined on 11/13/2014We like CA. Cafe when we have a special occasion, such as we did this time. It was our 60th wedding anniversary. So you might figure we are not young folks, but active folks. Server was excellent, so was the food. We will be back maybe for lunch sometime soon. Thank you! Sally UrsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.InfrequentdinerDined on 11/9/2014We went because we heard about the new chef. We won't be back.
- Pleasant evening of diningFreddyBeeDined on 11/9/2014As always, great atmosphere, good food, attentive staff. Visited the bar prior to our dinner time, warm and friendly service from the bartender, followed by courteous, attentive and professional service from our waiter Kevin. We come here often as we've never been disappointed by either the food or the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite place for a special nightspecialnightDined on 11/8/2014We've been going here for years to celebrate anniversaries, birthdays and other special occasions. The food is great, atmosphere very relaxing, we never feel rushed. The menu changes with the seasons, which helps keep things fresh even if we go several times in one year. Portion sizes feel just about right, so we can get a variety of things and still have room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The service staff was very accommodating and friendly. There was a mix up with my meal (I was brought the wrong dish) but they corrected it very quickly. The food was delicious and the noise level allowed for good conversation.Special Features:
- DisappointingLuv2dineDined on 11/6/2014Food was terrific. However it was two hours before we were able to leave --because was main server very unattentive and food service slow. Help staff was good. Hostess was given direction about making our guests feel special as it was their anniversary. She assured me all of this. But not one mention was even made the whole evening. Disappointing.Special Features:
- Menu needs workTextureisimportantDined on 11/5/2014I ordered an "oven roasted" turkey sandwich. Sorry, but it was not oven roasted. The turkey looked, and tasted like that turkey loaf they serve in fast food restaurants. You know the kind that's injected with tons of water and that you can almost see through. I love turkey and this is the kiss of death for me to think that a higher end restaurant like California Café would serve this junk. I know it's a time saver and cheap for them, but this is food we're talking about here. Get rid of that stuff!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2014had a quiet business dinner. waiter was excellent with good suggestions for wine to pair with the food. pleasant ambiance. the tuna and creamy polenta was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special request not honoredLuvGoodFoodVIPDined on 11/3/2014I have been dining at California Cafe for twenty years. I was there to celebrate a good friend's birthday on Tuesday. On the Open table request, I asked for a candle to be placed on my friend's dessert. Upon arrival to the restaurant, I reminded the hostess about this and she said no problem and she would let the waiter know. When the dessert came, there was no candle. Very disappointing! Also, I know there is a chef change, I am not loving the food like I used to.
- Substandard servicecmanDined on 11/2/2014Calif Cafe remains one of the prettier places to eat in LG. The food was good enough, although not outstanding, and not up to the standards that this restaurant used to have. But I could pretty much forgive that, if not for the slow and haphazard service we got. It took us forever to get water and bread, and to have our orders taken. When we needed anything additional for the table, it was a project to try to flag someone down. I don't think I'll be returning. I will say that our busser was very friendly and helpful when he showed up at the table.
- California Cafe - Los Gatosfoodie10VIPDined on 11/2/2014I had been to this restaurant before, and had a good experience. They have a nice location, and it's fun to sit in the back of the restaurant to look out. This time, the service was mediocre as was the food. This seems like a small thing, but we asked for a booth, and were told they were all taken. When we left the restaurant after our meal, there were many booths that had been empty the whole time. I won't be going back.
- The absolute worst experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014The service was terrible, the food took 2 hours to come after we ordered, we had to get up from our table numerous times to ask for silverware, the remainder of our food, water, our cocktails, and our bill. We were there for a total of 3 hours and it was the worst dining experience we've had. Luckily, the food was good but the terrible service made me not want to go there again.
- Wow, pretty disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014This is our "go-to" restaurant when we want an elegant meal that our 8 year old can enjoy. This is the third time we've gone and had them apologize to us for the kitchen's issues. It would have been better if I not been forced to solicit the apology or if the manager had offered to deduct anything from our bill, but we left with his card and a promise that our next time would be better. The large parties they were hosting left us waiting for our meal for over an hour. The management seemed happy to let our waiter, (on his first night working) to take the fall. The waiter lost extra money when we left before dessert, and had to cancel one guest's meal so he could leave on time. I won't be able to convince the family to go back. Bummer!!Special Features:
- Must Visit California Cafe!LGinLGVIPDined on 10/31/2014Five of us ventured out to California Cafe last Friday to enjoy the Halloween evening in Los Gatos. I picked California Cafe because I like the outdoor and indoor versatility of seating and I hadn't been there in a few years. I was delighted with the entire evening from all aspects. The wine list and food were really outstanding. Our party of 5 had all different entrees and they were all fabulous--must say the short ribs, scallops and salmon were on the top of the list. But wait, there is more. The butternut squash soup was to die for and the AHI poke a lovely light starter. The service was impeccable and we could all enjoy hearing one another talk in a comfortable, lovely atmosphere. A must try!Special Features:
- Our Go-To SpotrobinDined on 10/27/2014My old friend and I love to arrive early, order slowly, sip and talk and hang out. Thanks for letting us be so well taken care of!! We always meet at California Cafe, book thru Open Table, ask for a window booth and get it, and enjoy a really long evening without feeling like we should rush. She lives on the East Coast and I live in Santa Cruz, so we savor our time together and appreciate the reliable service, wine list, great food and relaxed atmosphere. We will continue to make it our "Go To" place!! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, amateurish serviceCoronaHeightsNonFoodieDined on 10/26/2014Went for brunch and had a table by the back window, which was lovely. The food isn't anything special but the menu includes brunch and lunch options which is nice. The service wasn't great--slow, and confused. Our server had a really big table to take care of so maybe that was the problem. I hadn't been to Old Town for many years and was sad to see that it is just chain stores in a fairly typical suburban-looking stucco building. I think it has lost most of its charm, at least as I remember it from my childhood.
- Merely a big cafeSantaCruzanDined on 10/26/2014Nothing special about it, although the staff really tried on a busy Sunday at brunch time. Too loud and blah food.Special Features:
- Not up to it's usual standardshibarDined on 10/22/2014While the wait staff was very attentive, the kitchen was slow, particularly with the appetizers. Two rib-eye steaks were kind of chewy...not the best cuts.Special Features:
- Warm and InvitinggoodeaterDined on 10/21/2014We had a fabulous lunch at California Cafe in Los Gatos. The manager and staff were extremely warm and inviting upon our arrival. We were seated near a window in a quiet spot that accommodated the seven of us. Our waitress was friendly and very knowledgable about the menu. Everyone enjoyed their lunch selection - from the Kale and chicken salads to the juicy bacon burgers. The manager came by our table mid-way through our lunch to ensure that everything was perfect, which it was. Our waitress was happy to let us linger over coffee and pumpkin cheesecake, which was also wonderful. I highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion - lunch, dinner or brunch.Special Features:
- Great day in the south bayBobroyerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Old town Los Gatos is a great place to spend the day. After all that shopping, California Cafe is a wonderful place to relax, enjoy some wine and have some interesting food. The wait staff is amazing. The food has its own unique presentation. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatTruckeeloverVIPDined on 10/17/2014Lots of restaurants in Los gatos not worth the time or the money. Not willing to work with needs or wants of the customer! Wanted to switch veggies that were offered with another dish and my husband wanted mine they said no substitutions so we did the switch. How dumb? They said they had gf options but there were none you just couldn't order half the things on the menu!
- The CACafe FiascoPortoletDined on 10/17/2014We sat in a booth close to the kitchen. It was incredibly annoying to listen to the cooks yelling order-related commands at each other. The kitchen is relatively small, there is no need to yell... it appears to be more of a cultural thing that the restaurant or kitchen manager has failed to manage. I used to be a regular (2-4 times/mo) but I don't think I'm going back. The quality of the food and service are at the one-star level. Sad.Special Features:
- Family dinnermimipDined on 10/12/2014We had a double birthday dinner and everyone was able to pick a meal that was enjoyable. The atmosphere is pleasant and the food and service were goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dinner with The Girlsfood2goodDined on 10/8/2014Had lots to celebrate with girlfriends. We had the best service, the kindest wait staff and the food was really outstanding!!! Oh, the bread pudding!Special Features:
- Service not to par with restaurantLelenitaDined on 10/5/2014Recently went there for brunch to celebrate a birthday. The food was good but the service lacked. We asked our waiter several times for a children's menu which never came. Another waiter came to our rescue and she was great. A group sat next to us after us and was served first. The restaurant was not crowded so no reason for the delay. Would I drive from SF to eat there again - no way.Special Features:
- Good Food Mediocre ServiceDelSharDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I have dined at the Calfornia Cafe on numerous occasions. We chose to take my visiting grown nephew and niece there since he used to come to Los Gatos when he was a boy to visit my parents. In the past we had always had good food, good service at a reasonable price. This time the food was good, but it was more expensive than in past visits. On top of this was a server who showed up to take our order, get or drinks and then disappear until I had to hunt him down to pay our bill. Hopefully this was a one time event. We will most likely come here again. But if the prices continue to rise and the service suffer. it may be our last.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceliketoeatoutDined on 10/3/2014Service was great, no waiting with the reservation. Food was excellent. There were 4 of us and we all had something different. Everything was good.Special Features:
- So disapointedJaledfordVIPDined on 9/27/2014We as a group(8-9 guests) have been coming here for the last 10 years. The food is great - usually. This last visit was horrible. I understand that servers have "off" nights where nothing seems to go right, but this was BAD. Salads were forgotten or incorrect, water glasses dry, drinks forgotten or waited for over 30 minutes. One entree was brought out and after 20 minutes the other 8 entrees were still missing. The place was not crowed, and a chef sat at a table next to us visiting for over an hour. When we asked another server to help, he just got ours to come apologize. We never saw a manager, though we asked for one. The bill came and nothing was taken off. Not even the missing side dishes. We were so upset, we paid the bill and left.
- Always goodELLEDined on 9/27/2014We had a very nice brunch and lunch. We always enjoy coming here. The only comment that I would make was that it seemed to take along time to bring the desserts.Special Features:
- needs new managementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The good was pretty.good but the service was so bad it distracted from our food. Waited ten minutes for a drink order, 15 minutes for the drinks (one of which was wrong) then hit our seized after the salad and entree and after we told the waiter to forget the appetizer. Of course charged for everything (even the wrong drink thigh he took that if when we asked).Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsFoodEDined on 9/20/2014Been trying to go here for a while. It had been recommended. I'm not sure what the old menu was but apparently they have a new executive chef. I asked one of the chefs (not the executive) that had worked there w hike about recommendations. So I went with one of his personal favorites the lamb bolognese. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The food was delicious; the service excellent; and the ambiance pleasant. All in all, a great dining experience. In the past, I have eaten on the patio, which is quite lovely.Special Features:
- A delicious dining experienceInMyOpinionDined on 9/17/2014Ours was a group of six more mature ladies, celebrating the engagement/soon-to-be-wedding of one in our group. The restaurant was not busy on this particular Wednesday evening, which had me wondering if some reviews were correct re: food/service. Not to worry! I'm not sure about my dining companions, but my salmon was absolutely exquisite. I shared a delicious bread pudding with two of my friends for dessert. Ben was our server. Our little group was a bit giddy with happiness for our betrothed friend, and Ben went right along with our playful tone. He also quickly answered all of our foodie questions. Excellent service throughout and we were quite pleased we chose California Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHariDined on 9/14/2014The food was just ok...Lovely view....but ordinary fare(when it comes to food) and not so great service doesn't make it worth it.
- Wishing for a better experienceAly0Dined on 9/14/2014Waiter poured red wine all over the table as he missed the wine glass and slated wine on my mom and daughter and then tried to wipe of the glass and pour again. I had to tell him to get a new glass. We were there for my mom's birthday celebration lunch, after the wine spill I was hoping they would do the right thing and remove the glass of wine from our bill, no luck. This was my third try there, will not be going back. It's such a shame cause the venue is so nice and food is good. All three times there has been wait staff issues, wish management was more put together with running the restaurant.Special Features:
- Dark and slow serviceDisappointedDined on 9/13/2014Party of 2. We had a table outside next to the doors so there was too much foot traffic for a romantic dinner (1) Bad location for a table for 2. Service staff would walk right behind me btwn my chair and the wall of the restaurant sometimes bumping into my chair - very distracting (2) The service staff shouldn't be trying to squeeze through. We waited an extended period of time for our main entrees. Even a table of 4 received their food before we did and we arrived at least 20 minutes earlier. The waiter didn't even come back to apologize or explain. (3) At least give us an update on service. We sat outside but it was at least 45 minutes until they turned the lights on after it was already too dark to see the food.Special Features: