California Bistro - Park Hyatt Aviara
7100 Aviara Resort Drive
Carlsbad, CA 92011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
California Bistro - Park Hyatt Aviara
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.parkhyattaviara.com/
- Phone: 7606036868x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Sunday...............................6:30 AM – 10:30 AM
Breakfast A La Carte
Monday – Sunday................................6:30 AM – 11:00AM
Monday – Friday.................................11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Saturday Brunch Buffet ......................11:30 AM – 2.00 PM
Sunday Bloody Mary Brunch Buffet....11:30 AM – 2.00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pierre Albaladejo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The California Bistro offers a beautiful private function space accommodating up to 30 guests. Enjoy our beautiful breakfast, lunch and Saturday brunch where everyone will find something they love, including Chef Franck Riffaud's delicious desserts! Private room available or enjoy the wrap-around outdoor terrace offering spectacular ocean views!
- Private Party Facilities: The chefs at our San Diego California restaurant combine the culinary comfort of a modern bistro with market-fresh ingredients indigenous to the area's fruitful terrain and bountiful waters. Inspired by French tradition, the menu offers locally produced daily fresh vegetables, seafood and specially selected free-range, grain-fed meats. An extensive wine list emphasizes selections from California's Central Coast north to the Napa Valley.
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Cooney 7606035140x
- Special Events: Please contact Elizabeth Cooney at email@example.com to book any special events and promotions.
A word from California Bistro - Park Hyatt Aviara
The chefs at our San Diego California restaurant combine the culinary comfort of a modern bistro with market-fresh ingredients indigenous to the area's fruitful terrain and bountiful waters. Inspired by French tradition, the menu offers locally produced vegetables, seafood and specially selected free-range, grain-fed meats. An extensive wine list emphasizes selections from California's Central Coast to the Napa Valley.Continued
Executive Chef Pierre Albaladejo invites you to enjoy one or all!
Executive Chef Pierre Albaladejo invites you to enjoy one or all!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
California Bistro - Park Hyatt Aviara reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)special occasion (2)scenic view (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Very goodIntheknowVIPDined on 9/24/2014My husband and I dined here around 11:45 am and unfortunately, there was only one other person dining here when we arrived and about 6 people when we left, other then an employee lunch in another room in the back. This is really a shame. This is a great place for lunch. We ate outside and it was just beautiful looking over the hills and the golf course. The food and service were both terrific. The Park Hyatt team does a wonderful job. It's really too bad that more people don't partake in lunch here. Since this is in a hotel, maybe diners come later.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We had the buffet, a nice selection of food and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some changesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We have had brunch there several times-the last maybe two yrs ago on Father's Day. We were very disappointed so did not return for quite awhile. On our return last Sunday we were rather surprised to find the selection was greatly reduced. Also, there were some empty dishes that were not refilled until just before we left. Having said all of that-the food you offered was really plenty (well, maybe a waffle would have been good) the service was great and we will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 102 reviews are from the California Bistro - Park Hyatt Aviara reviews archive.
- Limited MenuBeachKittyDined on 5/22/2014I thought the menu was very limited, but I was expecting to see a nice buffet. I took a friend here for the buffet for her birthday and was disappointed that they only have it on weekends. Their website did not specify this. Also, there were very few people in the restaurant and everyone apparently wanted to sit next to the window where we were. The tables were rather close and there were two men on each side of us. At one table they were so loud we could hear their whole conversation and the other two spent time on their phones having conversations with someone else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchNickDined on 5/11/2014For the high price this was a bust! We tried Grand Del Mar Brunch in Del Mar and the cost was the same but the amount and variety of food between both brunches was like night and day. Not enough variety was the biggest difference plus here the food was placed on window ledges, how tacky. This brunch should have been priced 20-30 dollars less to be considered. Way over priced.
- Best luxury brunch buffet in SDBarbaraDined on 4/27/2014I live in LA and I have been to many hotel brunches (Ritz, Four Seasons, you name it). This one is a lot more intimate with quality over quantity. There may be fewer choices but every single ingredient is so fresh and so delicious. You can tell the chef put his/her personal touch and love into every single morsel you take. The views are also lovely and the staff could not be more professional and friendlier. We also ordered the fresh juice of the day (melon and banana mix) and it was the best juice I've ever had!Special Features:
- Park Hyatt definitely not 4 SeasonsYamahazingVIPDined on 2/23/2014Sad to see the decline after Park Hyatt took over for Four Seasons. Service was horrible, food selection considerably smaller. And the once vibrant and busy Sunday brunch had maybe four tables. Not going there again
- AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/20/2014I was so very disappointed that you no longer offer the "small plate/salad bar" that you had before the renovation. I raved about California Bistro to all of my friends and was surprised that you no longer offer that venue. I do understand that this may have been a cost consideration, since much of this was labor intensive, however, this did make your restaurant a special experience. Your head waiter Jonathan is always delightful and gracious and helped make my disappointment bearable. Thank you. Liz SchwartzSpecial Features:
- omelette is good but a bit hardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014the restaurant server recommended bay style omelette inc. crab but it tastes much harder than expected. also, a bit greasy.Special Features:
- Very good lunchAlexDined on 1/22/2014Calamari were fried perfectly and the farro salad was really tasty (even a little too much vinegar for my taste). Good service too.Special Features:
- Very nice buffetFoodDudeVIPDined on 1/10/2014The menu is fine as well, but they excel at both breakfast and lunch. Ample assistance from a professional staff and a family atmosphere that makes it fun for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was slow and was underJeffDined on 12/31/2013Service was slow and was under staffed. Also, there was a 1 per customer limit on Lobster Tails. Lobster tails were per request and only 1 lobster tail was delivered per couple to split. This was not noted on the Website Menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California Bistro...it's not VivaceEricDined on 12/29/2013We went to the Sunday Brunch thinking that this new replacement would be on par with the former Vivavce Brunch, it wasn't. The atmosphere is good and the selection of food is okay, but the price of $50 per person is far too high for what you actually receive. The one bonus is that the brunch includes unlimited Bloody Marys. Unfortunately, the service was horrible -- one would expect outstanding service at the Park Hyatt, but that was not the case.Special Features:
- Screaming Kids!SherylVIPDined on 12/23/2013Food was OK and service clueless but in the end adequate. We had requested a guiet table and were seated in a smaller room with screaming kids all around. We understood that many families were staying at the hotel but wonder why they didn't reserve one of the smaller rooms for adults?
- Great restaurant, upscaleRickVIPDined on 12/11/2013Great restaurant, upscale dining, elegant yet casual furnishings. Menu had individual offerings and a buffet choices of everything, cold plates, and dessert. We ordered individual items, salads, as the buffet offered much more than we felt like eating. Our salads were very good, very fresh ingredients, tasty dressings, and large portions. Nice drink menu to complement your lunch order. Server was very good, personable, helpful with menu selections. Dresscode was listed as casual, I was in shorts, felt a little under dressed as most folks were business casual at a minimum. Nice spot for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/28/2013went there for Thanksgiving lunch. over-priced menu for a subpar experience: unpleasant seating arrangement, noisy, average buffet food (seafood and desserts were the highlights). unfortunate since the hotel is impeccable.
- Questionable for a 5 star resortSusan1484VIPDined on 11/13/2013Great waitress & service, okay meal; reservations made after the 'lunch crowd' gone - so no rushing. Seating - hostess had to check to see if they had a table 'as I requested'? Hotel needs to examine the job of a valet! American Heritage Dictionary says: 'Parking valet: arrangements provided by a commercial establishment such as a restaurant, whereby patrons leave their cars at the entrance and attendants park and retrieve them'. That didn't translate to the valet captain. He handed me my keys at the entrance, after a luncheon business meeting, and said; 'we're kind of backed up, (handing me my keys), your car is over there (gesturing to the cars) would you mind picking it up yourself?' and walked away. Question: This is a five star hotel?
- Not a Four Seasons' experienceRonnieVFamilyManVIPDined on 10/25/2013If the Scenic View is the best feature it is not a good sign. We opted for the buffet option at $29 p/p. The food overall was just bad with the exception of the desserts table. The entrees we overcooked, dried out, and had just no flavor. There were only 4 tables or so occupied out of 22 or so available. They need an overall to get this to Four Season's level. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Their Saturday buffet is nowhereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/5/2013Their Saturday buffet is nowhere near the selection they once had when it was the Four Seasons.
- Was able to obtain a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/25/2012Was able to obtain a reservation for Christmas day brunch. A pleasant surprise indeed. The food was excellent. A relaxed atmosphere. Superb service.Special Features:
- If your staying in the hotelOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/18/2012If your staying in the hotel the buffet is a great optionSpecial Features:
- Not Worth $29.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012Brunch was expensive $29. Not as good as most buffet brunches I have been to, not alot of variety. Expensive but not great.Special Features:
- We had the lunch buffet, andtuckyspalVIPDined on 7/4/2012We had the lunch buffet, and it was fabulous. However, just be mindful that the $5 iced tea is not included in the price and seems overpriced. I mean, come on, it's just iced tea!Special Features:
- A fine brunch spot.HelpfulFoodDudeVIPDined on 5/19/2012A fine brunch spot.Helpful staff, a wide array of offerings in numerous categories.Not fine dining to be sure, but a pleasant daytime place to enjoy.Special Features:
- The food was extraordinary,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012The food was extraordinary, no question. There was a varied and unique selection and everything was beautifully presented with amazing flavors. However, for the price, Champagne should have been included, not additional. It was a perfect weather day so sitting outside was lovely, but there was no view at all where we were seated. Service was very good considering how busy they were. If you are going to splurge for brunch, this would be the place to experience - once anyway.Special Features:
- Best Mother's day brunch everOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012We went to the Mother's day brunch at the Park Hyatt Aviara's California Bistro... Absolutely the best brunch we have ever been to. We were impressed with everything.. food quality, variety of choices, friendly service, appearance, and attention to detail on everything.Special Features:
- we had the first time slotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012we had the first time slot for our reservation as the bistro opened, and the main dishes were already cold. the presentation was great, but taste and selection didnt live up to the expectation.
- The best brunch around- ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/4/2012One of the BEST brunches I have ever had. Fantastic selection- fantastic food- fantastic service. The selection was so large it is almost impossible to describe here. Omelets made to your order. Salmon Benedict. Salmon with lentils and asparagus (my absolute favorite). Tons of Greek salads, sushi, sashimi, bacon & sausage, and so much more. A huge selection of deserts! The only problem is that there was such a wide variety of food that we could not possibly sample everything. It's very very pricy, but worth the occasional splurge if you want the absolute best brunch in town, hands down!Special Features:
- They need to bring back allOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2012They need to bring back all the selection of a salad bar they had when it was Four Seasons . Price did not change , still $29.99 but selection .... is gone .... Now Lunch buffet has a 1/4 of the section of everything, salads, deserts , hot entree .... But service is very good . As it was when it was a Four Seasons as some waiters are the same like Mr Turner. He is the best !!!
- If only...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/16/2012...my food didn't have a foreign substance in it, I would have rated it higher. Thankfully, My waiter made up for it by comp'g not only my lunch, but dessert as well - which I did not expect. My friends enjoyed their meal & I thought mine was great until... oh well, mistakes happen. I had the Steak Sandwich & my friends had the CB Club. We went mid-week for lunch, and they offer a buffet as well as menu items. It feels like a cafeteria and is a little blah (deco), but at least we sat next to the window with a view.Special Features:
- Overinflated but pleasant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2011Menu items were quality choices but available at Carlsbad area $35/ person brunches (ex. Belle Fleur); unimpressive at $100/ person. Brunched during slow phase but was initially neglected by wait staff (ex. empty drinks, table bussed only upon request, 20 min wait for check, adjacent parties were serviced more timely/ attentively). Excellent venue. Scenic coastal location with superlative amenities.Special Features:
- Great food -- Service needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 12/25/2011The service after the Four Seasons left has gone down a notch. Waiters are not well trained and they dont seem to have that I will get it done for you no matter what attitude. The GM of the hotel should really look at this and get the waitstaff trained to be more attentive and in line with world class hotels
- An amazing Christmas eve buffet.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2011An amazing Christmas eve buffet. So festive and the holiday trees were beautifully. We will definitely be back next year.Special Features:
- We were at the restaurantMaresDined on 12/24/2011We were at the restaurant for the Christmas Eve Seafood Buffet. The selections were plentiful and well worth the price. The dessert selections were an extra bonus. I highly recommend this to couples and families who are looking for a great gathering spot for Christmas Eve dinner.Special Features:
- Buffet setup wasn't well planed.MartiniDined on 12/18/2011Buffet setup wasn't well planed. Food just okay. Service was pretty good.
- We came as a group of sevenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/12/2011We came as a group of seven ladies for Breakfast. We meet once a month as a Book Club and decided this year to do something very different. We made the perfect choice! We have decided to make this our tradition every Christmas. The food was excellent, the choice on the buffet was superb. Service could not have been better. We were able to discuss our book in a relaxed and quiet setting. We also enjoyed looking at the wonderful Christmas trees on display. We would thoroughly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- We tried the California Bistro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011We tried the California Bistro's Thanksgiving Day brunch and it was a fabulous experience. They had the Thanksgiving staples and so much more. My husband and son enjoyed the seafood and sushi selections, we all enjoyed the cheese selections, and the dessert selections were the most extensive I've seen at a buffet, and everything I tried was scrumptious. The service was prompt and considerate without being intrusive. We will definitely go back for brunch!Special Features:
- Maybe a bad night. Only twoOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/29/2011Maybe a bad night. Only two other tables had people seated. Considerating that, service was slow. Don't bother.
- The Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2011In one of the most beautiful hotels in North County, the restaurant is a haven for those of us who love quiet, long breakfasts without feeling rushed or dismissed. The waitresses are divine, really some of the nicest young ladies I've ever encountered in that position. I live in Coronado, but whenever there is a special occasion, California Bistro is the first of my suggestions.
- We have eaten here for breakfastMerryDrinkerVIPDined on 7/16/2011We have eaten here for breakfast and lunch. Food is always great - California style fare; fresh, locally grown ingredients, some of it organic. The hotel (now Park Hyatt, formerly Four Seasons) now has it open for dinner too; I've never dined here for dinner. The service is outstanding. Beautiful patio for dining. Suitable for special occasion - bridal shower, impress the in laws, etc. They have a kid's menu. For breakfast, the buffet is the best deal, but the portions are generous for the regular menu too. Only downside is that it is expensive approximately $20-30 pp even for bfast.Special Features: