Calcutta Grill - Golf Club at Newcastle
15500 Six Penny Lane
Newcastle, WA 98059Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
Calcutta Grill - Golf Club at Newcastle
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.okigolf.com/Courses/NewCastle/Pages/Calcuttagrill.aspx
- Phone: 4257934646x
- Hours of Operation:
Calcutta Grill: Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday 9:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Wooly Toad: Monday - Thursday; 3pm - 10pm, Friday - Saturday; 11am - 11pm, Sunday; 11am - 10pm; HAPPY HOUR EVERY DAY - Drink Specials: 3pm-7pm, Food Specials 3pm-5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Jesse Olsen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Golf Club at Newcastle has meeting and event space for groups of 15 to 350. Weddings, corporate meetings and events, team building, rehearsal dinners. Whatever your event is let the professional Catering Sales Managers handle all the details. Call 425-793-2932 for details.
- Entertainment: Live bagpiper during sunset from May-September
- Special Events:
Happy Hour just got better with new food and drink features and expanded hours: Monday - Sunday 3PM - 7PM
A word from Calcutta Grill - Golf Club at Newcastle
The Calcutta Grill, nestled 900 feet above the Sound, offers a selection of the Pacific Northwest's favorite foods, friendly and attentive service, and the Eastside's best Happy Hour. Enjoy dining on our two breathtaking patios with a menu offering a wide variety of delectable entrees, from a generous cut of prime rib to mouth watering pan-seared sea scallops. Or, if you prefer, cozy up next to the fireplace with your favorite cocktail in our English-style Pub. The Calcutta Grill is the perfect rendezvous for every occasion….or no occasion at all, with a view that is second to none.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Calcutta Grill - Golf Club at Newcastle - Best Restaurants in Newcastle ›
Calcutta Grill - Golf Club at Newcastle reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (81)great for outdoor dining (63)special occasion (54)great for lunch (42)romantic (31)great for brunch (30)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (27)fit for foodies (20)kid-friendly (12)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Where is the waiter?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Service was very slow, 30 minutes to have someone take our order, 40 minutes to get our food and another 20 minutes to get our check, then 10 more to the credit card back. Never refilled the water, never refilled the ice tea, never refilled the coffee. If you have time to kill, this is the place for you. Food was good, but cold when it reached the table. (Cold omelet--yum-yum)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I chose this restaurant for the celebration of my friend's 88th birthday, made reservations and asked for a window table. We had to wait for a table, it was in a noisy side area next to 3 tables of 8, we waited AN HOUR for our meal. The food was good but the service disappointing.Special Features:
- Salmon HeavenPradoFanVIPDined on 8/13/2014I love salmon and am happiest when I can get it for multiple meals in a day. The salmon chowder was truly special and I could have gorged myself on that and been satisfied. Thank goodness I only got the cup so I had room for the salmon entree' which was superb. The potato rolls were amazing and we were grateful that we could take a few home. Next time we're near Seattle, we'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014The smoked salmon chowder was fantastic, best I've ever had, and my dining companion thought so, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2014Always classy surroundings Always great view Always good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okaybluejeans2Dined on 8/10/2014With a view like that, you really want the food to blow you away. It doesn't. Price-to-value just isn't there. In the future, we'll stick with drinks and appetizers in the Woolly Toad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view but always seated lateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014This place has the best view in town, and the food is always very good. But we always make a reservation, and they still make us wait at least fifteen minutes for a table. This has happened every time we have gone here! There are always tables available, so I don't know why there is this consistent hold up.Special Features:
- Average at bestSeattleDinerDined on 8/3/2014Food was just okay, but our wait since ordering was extremely long. Almost an hour actually. The staff while they were really nice took forever even to get the drinks going. I understand that it gets busy maybe this was borderline ridiculous. not something I would have expected for the $$$ I paid. View is amazing, place is really nice that is pretty much the only thing going for them.Special Features:
- Decent food - Spectacular ViewPamJVIPDined on 8/2/2014Came on sea fair weekend during the air show time; so accordingly the restaurant was packed. We had requested an outdoor table, none was available; understandable; we were seated at an indoor booth, outside views were wonderful, if somewhat obstructed. Food was tasty but not particularly memorable. Cinnamon roll was very sugary, and one would expect this, however it would benefit from the syrup being served on the side rather than over the roll. Calcutta burger very tasty. Fries advertised as "crispy" were not, although were not soggy. could have stood another round through the fryer to get a decent crips on them. Seafood Cobb salad was also very tasty and generous portion. Food was decent, just a few mis-steps in execution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view is fantasticPatioFanDined on 7/31/2014Went to lunch with a friend. The food was great. I had a steak and salad. We got to watch the Blue Angels practice, and did not feel the least bit rushed. What a treat!Special Features:
- Fantastic View. Lackluster Foodkk00Dined on 7/27/2014Been here many times over the years and this time around we had the worst food. We are both vegetarians and the chef did nothing to accommodate our dietary needs. We had to pick the 1 (hot) item off the menu or cobble together some sides, which weren't great. I ordered risotto, which was probably one of the worst risottos i have I had. If it wasn't for the spectacular view, I'm not sure we would ever come back.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceProfoodieDined on 7/22/2014I highly recommend Calcutta Grill for anyone who likes exceptional food, service, and facilities. The view is amazing!! Even on an overcast day it was breathtaking. Although, I must say that I spent equal time looking at my date, the food, and the skyline.. Maximum stars for Calcutta Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Great ViewTdowDined on 7/20/2014Quite the amazing view of Seattle - the food was really great.Special Features:
- Great spotoutforthenightDined on 7/18/2014lovely view - fun to watch the golfers if you are outside. Perfect outdoor dining if the weather is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencetarlisDined on 7/16/2014We had a family gathering here for my fiancee's birthday and had an amazing time! From the food, to the wine to the service everything was great. The view is to die for. I think one of the best views in the Seattle area!Special Features:
- Hidden gemCharmsDined on 7/14/2014Fabulous food, service, and views. A friend selected Calcutta Grill for her birthday lunch. We came on a beautiful sunny day, were served by a delightful waitress, and indulged ourselves with the most delicious, well prepared food. Salad was fresh and not over dressed, and meat was tender and tasty. We leisurely diner overlooking the golf course and the Puget sound region.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014The service was pretty poor and the servers were very unorganized.Special Features:
- Great SettimgwebarkDined on 7/13/2014We had lunch reservations for our anniversary. We were seated outside and the view was spectacular and they served breakfast until 2:20pm which makes it great for brunch, as well. We had great service, enjoyed the view and got great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The View is SpectacularJamesDined on 7/12/2014Must sit outdoors on a sunny day to enjoy the view. Food was good, service was above board!Special Features:
- Awesome view !TheLimsDined on 7/12/2014The view is fantastic, and with the bagpipe playing in the evening is just incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner.FantasticDined on 7/9/2014We celebrated my father's birthday. The waiter was very nice and accommodating. Food was really good. Scallops were tender but still very tasty. Desert was heavenly. View is absolutely amazing. Our second dinner there. Really nice place! Don't know if a country club would every consider this, but suggesting people not idle out front would be a huge plus.Special Features:
- EnjoyableFrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/4/2014Good good and great view and never feel rushed-- Consistent high quality of food preparation brings us back over and over. However this time my wife's halibut was a little over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceLove2eatDined on 6/29/2014My husband and I were married at Newcastle in 2000 and had come back to celebrate our anniversary. We were very excited to be back, but unfortunately the service ruined the experience. Our server was extremely unfriendly and unhelpful. Even though we were married at Newcastle after this experience I don't know if we will go back.Special Features:
- Beautiful view & great food/serviceMshbnyehudVIPDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed a lovely evening at Calcutta. They honored my reservation request on time and window seat (on an evening where it was too cool to sit outside). Split the dungenous crab cakes, which were tasty and beautifully prepared. Rockfish entre was a substantial portion, just slightly crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked. Enjoyed a summer special glass of wine. Service was so friendly and attentive. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Anniversary Celebration!MarinersFan3Dined on 6/28/2014Entrées hasn't change for sometime and their dessert menu is very limited and not very creative or imaginative. Service is always outstanding.Special Features:
- One of the best dinners I've everOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014With the bagpiper, the sunset, the view, the outstanding food, and the expertise of our server, Carolyn, it was one of the best nights ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th Birthday CelebrationMarinersFan3Dined on 6/8/2014Everyone enjoyed their dinner entrées. Dessert menu was rather disappointing though, very skipping on selections. Service was outstanding and our server was exceptionally attentive. Will be going back for an Anniversary Celebration soon.Special Features:
- Food OK, Serivce not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Food was good. Service was mixed. Issue seemed to be that there was no single person responsible for looking after our table. We had to ask for bread, drinks were slow, the entree turned up early (before we had chance to ask for wine) and was cold. We had to search out a server to ask for the food to be returned and warmed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltysFanDined on 6/3/2014Great venue for bringing first time guests from out-of-town to show off our beautiful vistas. Dinner was delicious and service was great.Special Features:
- Love this placeWMKLDined on 6/3/2014I was actually quite concerned when I saw some negative reviews on both OpenTable and Yelp about this restaurant. I made reservation anyway because I like the great scenic view and I think it will be great for our anniversary. We got a table by the window as I requested when I made my reservation. The overall service is quite good. I felt the staff were trying to do a good job and I think they certainly did. The food we ordered were all great. The crab cake is as good as most of the high end restaurants on the eastside. Smoke salmon chowder was wonderful. Grilled King salmon isn't the best I ever had. But it is good enough. (Maybe my expectation was low after reading some bad reviews.) Lamb Osso Buco is very tender and flavorful.Special Features:
- Good food; excellent service; viewakamai22Dined on 6/1/2014Attentive service but we never felt like we were being rushed. Some ala carte items ere priced toward the high end, but the specials were a better value.... and very tasty. The staff cooperated in some birthday-related pranks including a gourmet presentation of a fish head. Fun evening.Special Features:
- Always goodGrandmaMollieDined on 6/1/2014We have eaten at Calcutta many times and it never fails to please. This time three of us went for a Sunday lunch and a nice touch they have is a complimentary fresh fruit plate for each table. We tried the Sweet Roll this time which was a 6 X 6 piece of heaven. It's great for sharing and would also be a great desert.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableworldtraveler7Dined on 5/16/2014After golf or for someplace different with a great view (when the weather is clear.) Great food. Always seems to be good service and consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/12/2014The Penn Cove Mussels with candied shallots, ginger, cilantro and curry cream were divine. So is the view. Dinner was wonderful and memorable.Special Features:
- BadRobertoDined on 5/12/2014Worst prime rib I have ever experienced, and the service was not much better.Special Features:
- Not important enoughFitFoodieVIPDined on 5/7/2014We've been here on many occasions. They have good food and great views. However, this was by far the worst experience we have has service-wise at any restaurant in a very long time. Things started out OK but the food was slow in coming out and then our waitress virtually ignored us. She did rush by to hold up a dessert menu before dashing off again. She wasn't busy waiting other tables, she was busy preparing the table next to us by decanting wine and setting out limes and bottled water all in advance of a customer who had not yet arrived. While doing that she passed us 8 times without so much as a look. The busboy had to bring us our check and the manager rang the tab after we brought it to the front desk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceDawnDined on 5/3/2014The servers were not the best - forgot to bring our soup and had to ask several times for things like dressing that we asked on the side. Was not really busy so not sure why we could not get all right. Food was great though and the view is great.Special Features:
- The following 506 reviews are from the Calcutta Grill - Golf Club at Newcastle reviews archive.
- Great family dinner!Brs3Dined on 4/18/2014My in-laws were in town for Easter weekend and we were looking for a place to take them for dinner Friday night. The view was amazing and the food delicious!!! We were impressed with the menu and the very attentive waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the way but worth the driveElizabethDined on 4/14/2014I first had lunch at the Calcutta Grill and the fish tacos with pineapple salsa were the best I had ever had. They were reasonably priced and very tasty. So I went back for dinner with some friends. Unfortunately, the fish tacos were only available on the lunch menu. The dinner menu was a bit pricier - standard downtown Seattle dining prices but the food was excellent. I had the beet and goat cheese salad ($10) and the Rockfish ($23) with a glass of wine ($10). Although the drive up there is a bit out of the way, the view is spectacular. I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food wasn't very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014We had lunch there and it was a beautiful day so the view was incredible. The food wasn't very good though. My sister had the salmon salad and the salmon had been frozen and tasted freezer burned. I had the fish and chips but the breading on fish was tough and pulled off the fish so I had to eat it seperate from the fish and it was rubbery. We were surprisingly disappointed. The restaurant itself is beautiful and the view incredible but the food wasn't as good as it should be for a nice place like that.Special Features: