Calandra's Mediterranean Grill
118 U.S. Highway 46 East
Fairfield, NJ 07004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Calandra's Mediterranean Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://calandrasmedgrill.com/home.html
- Phone: 9735756500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:45am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Alvaro Mora
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available for pick up only. No deliveries.
- Entertainment: Tuesdays,Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays- Piano player from 7:00 Pm to 10:00 PM
Sundays from 5:00 to 7:00- Magician Table Side
Check the website for special events.
- Special Events: Please check our website for special events.
A word from Calandra's Mediterranean Grill
Come to Calandra's Mediterranean Grill !! We are a family friendly restaurant featuring an open kitchen with an open wood burning grill and wood burning stone pizza deck oven. Our Dining room is a Tuscany styled with an attached Outdoor Mediterranean style dining patio plus a fully stocked lobby bar with beautiful fireplace. All pasta dishes are made with our homemade "Pasta Fatta in Casa", just as it is made in Italy, delicious and tender! We are famous for all seafood and fish dishes. Enjoy !!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Calandra's Mediterranean Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (12)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (6)great for lunch (6)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (6)fit for foodies (5)romantic (4)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Over PricedSRO22VIPDined on 9/11/2014Calandra's has several restaurants in the area. Why is this location so much more expensive and the portions smaller. I won't visit this location again.Special Features:
- consistently a great mealFoodieVIPDined on 8/13/2014I have been coming here for years and it is my favorite place to eat when i'm in this area on business. Why?? They start you off with fresh baked bread that you dip in their olive oil & grated cheese. Everybody loves this. The lunch specials are always terrific and if you like to have salads for lunch, the daily special is the way to go. All of the pasta dishes are home made. The waiters are friendly and always on top of things. I've never walked out of here disappointed. BTW, they give you a free, fresh loaf of Italian bread as a parting gift. Nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buggy but worth itJar1229VIPDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I dined here on a beautiful Friday night. This is the second time I've dined here outdoors. Expansive menu and nice wine list. Other than the bugs (which they try to alleviate with torches but it doesn't help), a great local spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pmgdinerDined on 7/30/2014excellent restaurant. What a surprise the food was great, the service was excellent and it was a very relaxing dining expierenceSpecial Features:
- How to do a special celebration...BarbDined on 7/18/2014Must be at Calandra's Mediterranean Grill. Must be on a Friday night with Stella Young birthday celebrant loved the pizza dough that became a heart shaped pizza complete with her favorite topping! Makes for a memorable occasion.Special Features:
- Treat4UsDined on 7/18/2014Lové the food and ambiance. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not outstandingsafetylawyerVIPDined on 7/17/2014I long been a fan of Calandras at the Caldwell Italian Village and decided to try the Fairfield location. It is located in a Hampton Inn so the overall ambiance is affected. Unfortunately the food I ordered was not up to their usual excel land although my companions enjoyed their meals. My eggplant appetizer was fairly cold and the special, veal and mushrooms in cream sauce, was rather bland albeit very tender. My friend had the pork chop, which lacked sauce. However, our companions really enjoyed the Osso Buco and steak salad, as well as fried calamari. We didn't have dessert. Next time I'm inNJ, I'll go for the original, which can be noisy but has a much larger menu selection and has been consistently great.Special Features:
- Fairfield fav!kbaheyDined on 7/4/2014One of my favorite restaurants in the area. They make a great dirty martini and the food is good but the menu is a smidge blah. If you like pasta there are several options but I wish their menu was more modern and livened up a bit. I'd like to see some shellfish. This place is consistent and I enjoy my time there. The male host is so nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food TriumphsFranKeyDeeDined on 6/21/2014Did not know what to expect with the restaurant being located inside the Hampton Inn hotel. Was a little noisy due to 3 graduation parties going on in the hotel, but the service and food were very good. While so many things on the menu looked great, was just in the mood for some rigatoni with a little oil and pesto - not on the menu but the server said "Sure, we can handle that" and made the dish for me . The linguini with white clams was very good (according to my wife and son) and the other son was very pleased with his pizza. The pasta was all homemade and cooked perfectly for all. If booking through Open Table, be sure to request dinning room in comments or you could get placed in the hotel lobby.Special Features:
- Good Hotel RestaurantJimG2VIPDined on 5/24/2014Very good italian restaurant in local hotel; good variety of authentic italian food, service spotty on a busy Saturday nightSpecial Features:
- The following 35 reviews are from the Calandra's Mediterranean Grill reviews archive.
- Delicious ItalianphibblesDined on 5/18/2014The Calandra family of businesses never ceases to disappoint. This particular one, Mediteranean Grill, is a favorite. The food is great. They are often quiet, I think because they are inside the Hampton Inn and some may not realize they exist. Desserts are the best, especially the Lobster Tail with French Cream. And then they give you a loaf of French bread to take home. What else could you ask for??Special Features:
- Efficient ServiceSnooper1Dined on 5/17/2014We went here after a party held at a different location. As we were a large group [40 or so] we had to be intermingled with diners staying at the Hampton Inn. The maitre d' did an excellent job and the dinner was an enjoyable time for allSpecial Features:
- Yum Can't beat Calandra'sYummyDined on 5/14/2014The bread alone is worth going for but all the food is great, never had a bad meal and have been here many times. Service is excellent, atmosphere is very nicce outdoor dining is very pretty although I have never sat outside (not my thing). Bar is nice too and 1/2 price drinks and appetizers for Happy Hour.Special Features:
- Southern ItalianCulinarycalDined on 4/26/2014I'm more a Northern style girl so to me the food was not on my top list - more pasta and pizza options.. But for a fun old key night out is wasn't the worse choice and the fireplace was a plus ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Jph368Dined on 4/12/2014It's a great little Mediterranean bistro right on route 46! Good food and service. You can't beat that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian foodfoodtravelerDined on 3/30/2014This is a reliable , although a little pricey Italian restaurant. There are some nice touches like fresh grated cheese and olive oil to accompany thrive own bread. Also a plate of olives and a loaf of bread as you leave. They have specials like half price house wine on Sunday night which is great. We have dined there many times and know it's a consistently very good. Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am a repeated customer;JoeEDined on 3/21/2014I am a repeated customer; first time for lunch. everything was great - scallops were as good s I ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have always have a wonderfuleal007Dined on 3/1/2014I have always have a wonderful meal at your restaurant. The people are so accommodating to the customer like me! I love the bread you give us when we leave and I used any coupon that you sent to me. I always am happy when I know I will be eating at the Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Reliably SatisfyingskinnyeatsDined on 2/15/2014We love to come here as a family whether just our 4 or extending to larger parties of 8, 10 or more. The service is wonderful, especially with Momir - he is a first rate waiter looking to make you happy any way he can. Even the bus service has improved tremendously. Everyone is quite attentive keeping water glasses filled, refreshing drinks, clearing plates and fulfilling one off requests. The food is reliable - always delicious. The specials menu is large and compliments the main menu nicely. The prices are a bit high, but I have always felt that quality food comes out of that open kitchen. We have never been disappointed at the Mediterranean Grill. Keep up the good work and we'll keep dining with you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find - don't misscruiseempressDined on 2/11/2014My husband and I dined with friends. It was an outstanding dinner. Food and service were excellent. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointingVIPDined on 1/16/2014The service was absolutely horrid. 30 minutes to be waited upon. Second round of drinks ordered but the never were served. Food was mediocre. Took friends there I was very embarrassed. Never again.
- It was a great dinner!cruiseempressDined on 12/28/2013We were a party of four and tremendously enjoyed our dinner. Everything was perfect, all appetizers, entrees, drinks, service, ambiance and congenial company. We will definitely be back to enjoy another wonderful dinner. See you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was very good . TheyFishVIPDined on 12/20/2013Lunch was very good . They had quite a few Holiday parties Going on at the same time yet our service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed with oneRegularsVIPDined on 12/7/2013Very disappointed with one of the special seafood dishes. The $28 tilapia oreganata was a mushy mess floated on a bed of pasta in a mediocre scampi sauce. With all the good Italian restaurants in the area it is surprising that Calandra's is a serious cut below.
- Very good, but way overpricedRUSHFan0612VIPDined on 11/29/2013We dined here on Friday night 11/29/13 after shopping & going to the movies, as it turns out for the first time in 3 years. We both really enjoyed everything we ordered, as everything is very fresh and full of flavor. However Calandra's prices on everything is what keeps up from coming back more often, and that means all of their restaurants. $14.25 for a Ketel One Martini? That's insane; this is not a New York Steakhouse. I got the Black Angus Steak & Shrimp Special; like I said was very good but definitely overpriced at $34.95. And we had one of Calandra's typical weekend $15 coupons, and our bill with one drink was still $120 with tax & gratuity. I don't know when we will be back again as there are many other cheaper options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion...BarbDined on 11/29/2013My first visit to Calandra's Mediterranean Grill was indeed a "special occasion." The ambience was festive - yet relaxing. Great food was made even more tasty by the flavoring of Stella's delightful music and song. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday for Mom's 79thOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013Excellent ambiance, excellent meal, excellent service! Mom and Dad have been here before and wanted to return for this special day. I was apprehensive about a restaurant in a hotel, but pleasantly surprised. A great place to go for wonderful Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealk12tonylDined on 10/19/2013I have been to this restaurant many times and I have always had great service and quality delicious food. This time I took a friend for her first time and she was very happy with the food and the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nighttats818Dined on 10/19/2013went there for a birthday celebration everything was delicious and reasonably priced. will definately be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food a bit priceyHanniepDined on 10/18/2013Prompt service, great food, a bit pricey overall a nice place for date night or special occasion. To expensive for a weekly hangout, the directions should be updated as we believed the resturant was in the best western hotel, turns out it was the Hampton, other than that I would recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always excellent;RedbirdsVIPDined on 10/7/2013Food is always excellent; past dishes are wonderful; great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service wasPj8552VIPDined on 8/3/2013Food was good, service was very poor; however, the manager was gracious and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star ratingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2013We were sat at a table promptly and given Calandras signature cheese and bread and enjoyed snacking on that while our waiter took our drink order. We ordered a bottle of Calandras wine (which was delicious) but it took a little longer than expected for our waiter to get it to us. We would have enjoyed sipping on it with our oil and bread. Unfortunately, it came out too late. Otherwise, the service was excellent, the food was delicious as is a standard for Calandras Mediterranean and the atmosphere was pleasant. Would recommend it to everyone!Special Features:
- Great find - out-of-state customereampDined on 6/29/2013I don't live in NJ and had hoped to find a restaurant with a nice outdoor eating area. This was exactly what I was looking for. My friends and I were surprised to find it in a Hampton Inn - the ones near us don't usually have a restaurant. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific venue.PJBKDined on 6/27/2013Terrific venue Staff is friendly and professional. Food is always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were excellant,BobWDined on 6/25/2013Service and food were excellant, prices a little high, although we were there for half price pasta nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Choice for a Lovely EveningTedPDined on 6/22/2013In chosing the Mediterranean Grill for a 9 person family get together I had a few challenges especially on a Saturday night. With the age bracket ranging from 21 to 94....it was not easy finding a cuisine that would be acceptable to all diners. . However even with the age range of the ages (21-94 years) our guests, the appetizers and main courses were delicous and the desserts outstanding. Although the restaurant was somewhat busy, we were able to converse comfortably and without shouting. Service was excellent and can only strongly recommend the Mediterranean Grill for family functions. Thank you...Calandra's you never fail to please. Kudos to Momir....and the rest of the top notch Wait and Kitchen staff....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Our waiter was very attentive and professional. He was great.
- The menu has a nice varietyDonnaDined on 3/23/2013The menu has a nice variety of food options, including gluten free. Service was warm and attentive. They allowed us to relax and enjoy ourselves without being rushed. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- First time back in awhilehelloVIPDined on 2/15/2013Ourt first time back in many years and we were very happy. Javier our waiter was very nice and he knew when to approach us and when to leave us alone. The food was very good and the menu has enough choices to plaease everyone.Special Features: