Calandras Italian Village
234 Bloomfield Ave.
Caldwell, NJ 07006Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Calandras Italian Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://calandrasitalianvillage.com/flash/ilvecchio/cafe.html
- Phone: 9732268889x1
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:30pm - 10:00pm;
Bar Menu: Monday - Sunday: 11:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday: 11:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Sergio Maestoso
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: You can enjoy many of our specialty dishes off site at your private event or small gathering in your own home. We offer full and half trays at reasonable prices.
- Private Party Facilities: Calandras Italian Village offers a small private dining room that holds up to 30 people. We also offer afternoon parties from 75 - 175 people in our dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Thea Stack 9732268889x1
- Entertainment: Music on the Patio (weather permitting) or in LaTaverna Thursday, Friday and Saturday night live music from the 50s, 60s,70s & 80s. Outside Bar & Patio open for the summer.
A word from Calandras Italian Village
The Calandra Family welcomes you to "Calandras Italian Village". The Calandras passion for their Italian heritage and the importance of family values and traditions is evident throughout the "Villaggio Italiano.” Experience the old world atmosphere with European charm. Calandras il Vecchio Café where you and your family can enjoy homemade pastas, panini sandwiches, burgers, entrees and salads as well as pizza, flatbreads and calzones made with natural whole grain ingredients on our stone deck wood burning oven.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Calandras Italian Village reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance5Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (1)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Mrs PookieDeborahDined on 5/30/2014It's just GREAT Food and a nice spot for just enjoying a nice evening after a ruff work week !!!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Evening mealGaryDined on 5/16/2014Recently we had dinner with good friends on a Friday night, 4 adults, 2 children. We had a reservation and we were seated promptly. Our waiter, Joe, was pleasant and helpful. We ordered 2 pizzas and they were hot and fresh. The deserts were also excellent. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Gemluv2bpamperedDined on 5/11/2014First time customers. Wonderful experience! We were seated quickly (they take reservations). Service was attentive & food excellent! Meatballs, although the best I have had is some time, were served lukewarm. Try the desert or take something home. Next to the restaurant is an array of Italian specialty shops including a bakery!Special Features:
- lunch with the girls April 29,12:30TrishDined on 4/29/2014busy lunch time in the restaurant; bar area not busy. We sat in bar area. Waitress was very lax, disinterested, distracted and slow. Kept us waiting to get menus, to order and to follow up during the meal. She was NOT very busy. She would fly by with a "how are u doing ladies?" not waiting to get a response... I would not sit in her section again, if we decided to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014The food was pasta dishes were delicious, as the pasta was freshly made and tasty. The fish was nicely done, but the broccoli rob needed seasoning. Unfortunately the service was very poor. We were initially offered cheese with the bread, but not explained that it was for use with the meal. When the meal arrived we had difficulty finding someone to give us cheese, and it was not the grated cheese that was first offered. The waiter was difficult to locate. We used open table and the reservation clearly stated we were celebrating a birthday, but no effort was made to help us celebrate. I would not return for dinner again.
- Huge portions, priceylillyDined on 4/3/2014The restaurant is quite large, with high ceilings and well lit. It is quite loud, so not the choice for a romantic evening. It is, however, great if you are there specifically to eat, and eat a lot! They do provide huge portions and the food is very good. Service is ok - the room is so large, our server was all over the place, but she was working very hard and trying to be attentive, so I can't complain. They also fill the wine glasses up - not skimpy at all. The prices are high, and the portions reflect that. I saw the chef taking a picture of one of his creations, so I think there is some pride there. I was amazed how beautiful some of the platters looked coming out of the kitchen! Make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SpotSilentDinerDined on 2/1/2014Overall experience was well worth the trip . Excellent food awesome wait staff. My only negative would be the price of the appetizers was not consistent with the quantity nor quality of them. Much more expensive than other restaurant appetizers of similar quality. Also alcohol prices on the higher end. Their own blend wine is $3.00 cheaper in their store than on their menu ??? Certainly not a reason why I wouldn't return but just puzzling... I highly recommend this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunchNoahVIPDined on 1/22/2014We enjoyed our lunch and the service was excellent by our waiter Joe. It all started with the hot bread with olive oil and the cheese. So Good!!!! The rice balls were a nice touch before our main dish arrived. My good friends loved their chicken sandwiches. I had the lasagna which I didn't like. It had to much onions, red peppers and peas in it What a shame, since last time I loved it!!!! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerDinnerDined on 1/18/2014We love going to dinner here. The food and service is great and they are very accommodating to our 14 month old son.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/16/2014We are regulars at Calandra's, and we love it. A friend of ours was performing in the taverna, so we went to see the performance. We got a table facing the band because they knew why we were there. After dinner we were left alone and could've sat there all night if we wanted to. What a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice peoplenjcoinguyVIPDined on 1/16/2014We had a very good meal and the wait staff was good. A little noisy but otherwise very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another very good experienceRUSHFan0612VIPDined on 12/27/2013As is always the case when I come to a Calandra's restaurant, I get their awesome Pasta Fagioli soup. Wow, just incredible! Also tried one of their chicken panini sandwiches and that was really good as well, despite the fact that I could only finish half and it wasn't as good when I heated it up the next day. But as I said it was still a high quality sandwich. My fiance had the egglant rolatini, which was good but something that I rarely order out. We would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Wonderful ambianceRosaDined on 12/15/2013We absolutely loved our dining experience. Immediately fell in love with the size, decor and ambiance of the whole Italian village experience, will certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calandra's Never MissesGrammy521VIPDined on 11/24/2013Calandra's is not too far from home, so we eat here often. The food is dependably very tasty, served hot, and their bread, grated cheese and olive oil served at every table is extraordinary. They have their own vineyards in Italy, so their wines are very good and unique to them. Before or after you have enjoyed your meal, you can visit their amazing bakery, market, gelato bar (crepes are made too), delicatessen and wine store.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calandra's Dependable For Good MealGrammy521VIPDined on 11/15/2013Our waiter took excellent care of the 4 of us, and all food arrived attractively presented, hot and delicious. We had glasses of Calandra's wines, with 3 different wines tasted. All were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passes the picky palette testBrivicjimDined on 10/18/2013I recommended this restaurant to my cousins Fir our next cousins family reunion. My aunt 2 cousins And myself meet fir lunch to see if it would pass Our educated (picky) palettes . It passes with Flying colors and the reunion was booked on The spot. Our waiter Mike was also very entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumHmmmmVIPDined on 10/12/2013Dinner at Il Vecchio Cafe followed by picking up a few take-home bakery items next door - how can you beat it? Sure, you can probably find smaller places with more complex dishes. But if what you're looking for is good, old-fashioned northern Italian comfort food, this is the place. Then pop next door for some gelato or grab some cannolis for a midnight snack. Everything in this place is other-worldly good. And some of the most pleasant wait staff on the planet - consistently great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Main Food was Great, My sideHonestyVIPDined on 10/3/2013Main Food was Great, My side of "homemade" fries were burned, asked for replacement, never came, HOWEVER, THE MANAGER WAS GREAT AND WAS QUICK TO REMEDY THE SITUATION, my server was not to be found, the restaurant does need to correct a few items to retain the "Calandra" reputationSpecial Features:
- Very good food and atmosphereYourworthitDined on 9/27/2013very good food and service was fast , been buying calandras bread and pastries for many years with the addition of the village it's extra bonus .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2013I wanted to treat my Italian food loving boyfriend to a nice birthday dinner - we ended up at Calandra's Restaurant. We are big fans of Calandra's baked goods, but have never tried their restaurants until now. We went to the Caldwell location. Although the noise level was intense (not very cozy, but seemed to be popular for large gatherings), the wine and food were fantastic. I couldn't believe how piping hot my dish was when it was served! The flavors were great too. We enjoyed walking through the Village after dinner. We are certainly looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2013Every time I visit any Calandras restaurants the food is consistently goodSpecial Features:
- Disappointing visitRobLumbanDined on 8/10/2013Friendly, convivial setting. Great mix of indoor and outdoor space. Wait staff were pleasant and patient, despite one couple in our party of six being late. Entrées have become rather boring. Chopped lettuce in salad had rusty edges, and the veal milanese was so overcooked that they should have served it with a hacksaw. It was extremely flavorful nonetheless. Food was quite below par from previous visits. No pork items on the menu other than sausage. Bread of course remains outstanding. Menus at Calandra's two other restaurants are more creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 out of 4JohnTDined on 8/9/20133 out of our 4 meals were great. The pasta dish, Fish dish and the salad entre were very good. I had the Pork special. It was over cooked and dried out. Oh well, 3 out of 4 was pretty good. I would definitely go back and give it anotherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2013Great menu something for every one from pizza to great dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian foodNYCeaterVIPDined on 6/8/2013Tasty Italian food. Great amrketplace to browse through after your meal. You'll want to take home some fo their delicious bread or gourmet italian delicacies.Special Features:
- Mother's Day MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013I decided to book Calandra's for Mother's Day because the pricing seemed reasonable & the menu seemed appealing to the family members who would be joining me. However, when we arrived there was a ""Mother's Day Menu" which was a lot pricier than there other menu. I wasn't aware of this. Also, we were seated in a bar area room that seemed to be set up specifically for Mother's Day. Folding tables & folding chairs were used. The tables were fine because they were covered with tablecloths. However, I did not like sitting on a folding chair, nor did I like my Mother & guests sitting on folding chairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/11/2013I have been going to the Callandra's restaurants for years. The Mediterranean Grill and Cucina Callandra's are highly recommended. Stay far away from Italian Village. Noise unacceptably load from kids running around dining area. 2 of 3 dishes missing half the ingredients. Manager was to find out why but never came back. Waitress horrible. 15 minutes to get drinks. Order delivered by someone else and she never came back to see how everything was. My veal dish was too salty. Can make better at home. Wife had special salad but half ingredients were missing and she was left with lettuce, chicken, and strawberries. Wanted to order dessert but too frustrated so paid and left. Will not return to this one.Special Features:
- Good food if you want italian....piOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/21/2013Good food if you want italian....pizza, bread deliciousSpecial Features:
- When we got there, there wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013When we got there, there was a kids party in the main dining room and the hostess gave us the option to eat in the tavern, which I appreciated it more than I can say. The hostess was warm and friendly, the service was fantastic and the food was terrific.Special Features:
- We have eaten here severalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013We have eaten here several times, and this visit was no different than the others! We love coming here. Always great food, great service, and a great atmosphere! Its an excellent value, and everyone is so friendly! I would definitely recommend to anyone!!Special Features:
- Great Food - Weird atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2013The food and service is outstanding. But the ambiance feels like you're in a cafeteria. The ceilings are really high and the sound bounces off all of the walls so if you want ambiance sit in La Taverna which has the same menu.Special Features:
- Outstanding! I can not waitscotchnSodaDined on 4/5/2013Outstanding! I can not wait to return.Bakery food was delicious.Special Features:
- For the type of casual diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/15/2012For the type of casual dining this restaurant represents, the wait service is pretty darned good!Special Features:
- Took some friends and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Took some friends and they were impressed enough to want to go back next time they visitSpecial Features:
- The location was fine, serviceRomeo1VIPDined on 11/9/2012The location was fine, service poor only by young kids, prices for food were middle ground, food was cafeteria quality, all food came out at different times for six people to wait for the food to be cold was unfortunate This is our second chance here. I would take a pass
- The food and service was excellent.JohnDined on 10/28/2012The food and service was excellent. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Love that place! BakerymomoffoursonsVIPDined on 9/22/2012Love that place! Bakery is amazing....you can take out food from deli, bakery or prepared meals in refrig section. A must visit place!Special Features:
- Good but Way Overpriced2disneydadsDined on 6/24/2012We had a Sunday lunch at Calandra's Italian Village. The food was good but way overpriced. The calamari fritti was excellent - tender, not rubbery. The soups also were good. The salads and pizza were nothing special. We had an excellent waiter who was very friendly. I'm not inclined to venture back. The food just does not justify the prices.Special Features:
- Disappointing Mother's Day Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/12/2012There were 6 of us for dinner with 2 children in the group. We were very disappointed in this restaurant. We'd been there a year ago & found the prices had gone up significantly; the food was okay, not great, and the wine was awful! We first ordered a bottle of Chianti; the waiter poured all the glasses before letting someone taste it. It had no body whatsoever! The waiter then let us try a Cabernet & we had the same result! We kept the Chianti but it was not a quality wine. Tasted like strong grape juice. Very disappointing dinner experience.Special Features:
- It's a Destination!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/7/2012The Village is a nice "destination" restaurant because of the shops attached to the restaurant. On-site full Italian bakery, deli (where you can sit and eat a sandwich, not just take out!) and lots of delicious goodies. The restaurant is VERY spacious, has indoor and outdoor dining, but the cavernous size of the restaurant does make it quite noisy! But it's worth a trip and the food is both ample and affordable.Special Features: