1800 East 7th street
Charlotte, NC 28204Neighborhood:
CajunPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cajunqueen.com/
- Phone: 704-377-9017 x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Cajun
- Executive Chef: William Wssling
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Dixieland Band Every night.
A word from Cajun Queen
Enjoy the friendly, laid-back atmosphere of 'Nawlins without having to leave your back yard. Experiencing the sensation of true New Orleans cuisine has never been easier. We have a number of entree and drink specialties, including Dixie Beer - the beer thatContinued
made New Orleans famous!
made New Orleans famous!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cajun Queen - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Cajun Queen reviews from OpenTable diners
475 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (291)special occasion (238)fit for foodies (208)romantic (145)good for groups (129)great for brunch (79)hot spot (67)great for outdoor dining (61)great for lunch (52)kid-friendly (44)late-night find (36)notable wine list (29)vibrant bar scene (29)scenic view (16)Show More
- Always ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Great service, delicious food, diners enjoying their evening.Special Features:
- A taste of homeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Always satisfied wtih meals, the world needs more restaruants just like this one!Special Features:
- Did not want to valetCynthDined on 9/15/2014While I appreciate the valet service in the case of inclement weather, or if I was elderly or handicapped and needed assistance, it can be frustrating if you want to park your own car and the valet people have reserved all of the close places for their use! This week when I went to the restaurant on a Monday night, so not a high volume evening, it appeared that the valet people had reserved (with cones) all of the close spaces therefore one has to park far away if you don't choose to use the valet service. Frustrating. I often order the fried oysters and they were not as good as usual. Tiny! Crawfish Diane was very good. The bread (a tasteless roll) could be improved.Special Features:
- Good dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014Good service with helpful waiter. Food and drink were excellent. Valet parking very convenient. Monday night was a great time to go since tables are close and noise can be a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food can't be beat!!flavorforthefloydsDined on 9/15/2014Great Food!! Our server Alex was on point. Wish I would have ordered another entree to warm up the next day. I'll be visiting again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatExperienceDined on 9/14/2014Second visit and will be returning soon. Food was very good and tasty. Everyone was courteous from valet parking, hostess to waitress and her assistants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunchSbw1Dined on 9/14/2014We go to Cajun Queen every month or so for dinner, and we always live it, but we finally had the chance to try the brunch. It was fantastic! The beignets were great and my crab cakes Benedict were the best crab cakes I have had since I moved to NC! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cajun queenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014excellent food, poor service. not a good place to go if you want a relaxing, quiet evening for two. we felt as if we were being rushed. the ambiance was good, but noice level too highSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for CharlotteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Cajun Queen has a great atmosphere and was very comfortable. The tables were fairly close together without feeling crowded. Our reservations were honored and we had no wait to be seated. Our waiter was clearly busy and overworked, and the service was efficient but impersonal. The food was well seasoned. The Popcorn crawfish was well cooked and the sauce tangy and tasty but a bit too heavy for an appetizer. The blackened catfish entree was fantastic and I will recommend to everyone that they have it with the crawfish/sun-dried tomato topping. The gumbo was soupy and bland. The food is good if you have no plans on heading to New Orleans. But truth be told, it was just OK compared to authentic cajun cuisine.Special Features:
- Great food, as usual.PaukenwirbelDined on 9/13/2014Great food and very efficient, if not overly warm, service. I can always rely on this place to have top-quality, tasty fare that pleases whomever I bring.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodFoodGoodfoodDined on 9/13/2014The food was good but we were in and out in 35 minutes. A little too fast for a relaxing dinner. Waitress did apologize for the food coming out before the soup was half eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful date night settingFoodfanDined on 9/13/2014We have been wanting to check out Cajun Queen for quite some time and decided to try it on date night. So many times we are disappointed when eating out because the food ends up being something we could have cooked at home as good if not better! We first tried an appetizer and got the BBQ Shrimp. It was delicious. So then we moved on the entrees. I got the Chicken Diane and from the first bite, was pleasantly surprised! It was excellent! The portion also was good sized - I did not want to stop eating it but finally had to and now get to enjoy it again for lunch! I would definitely recommend this restaurant, not only for the food, but the service was excellent as well as the ambience!Special Features:
- Consistently great.cmshumDined on 9/12/2014The Cajun Queen has become one of our favorites restaurants for many reasons. We never have to wait a terrible amount of time, the staff is always friendly, the food is fantastic and the prices are reasonable. We are never disappointed and will be sure to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic!.RepeatpatronDined on 9/12/2014This is not my first visit to the Cajun Queen. Our visit was on a very busy Friday evening. As usual the food was outstanding. Our server was prompt, but not friendly. We ate on the first floor which is noisy from the various conversations going on around your table. If there is live music upstairs it will be even more difficult to carry on a conversation. I think the price is good for the amount of food you recieve. I will definitely return again, maybe on a night that isn't as busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, and can be spicychrisVIPDined on 9/12/2014My wife ordered hers a little too spicy, but it tasted great. Mine was not spicy, but well seasoned and flavor filled, and it was great. I should have gotten a bowl of the gumbo, instead of a cup. Next time, we will bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerByronDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I celebrated our birthdays at Cajun Queen on Friday night, as always, food was delicious and prepared exactly as requested. Food is always consistent, which is unusual these days, please keep up the good work..Special Features:
- Great first experienceLisaDined on 9/12/2014Food was just as described and delicious. Large portions provided leftovers. We were a few minutes late for our reservation but were seated as soon as we arrived. Complimentary valet parking is convenient because parking in that neighborhood is difficult. We will go again and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Spot!OldSoulTasteDined on 9/10/2014A piece of New Orleans in Charlotte. Great food and a great unique atmosphere. I'm glad to have this kind of place in Charlotte. Ask for Stephanie, cause she was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DougDined on 9/10/2014Always a place that you can depend on being good and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try again maybetryagainmaybeDined on 9/10/2014The food was acceptable. My son was disappointed with the fried shrimp dinner he ordered, stating the shrimp was tough. This was his first visit, so I was hoping he would have been more impressed. Most likely, I won't be visiting again for quite awhile in the futures.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Our visit was terrific as usual! My sister and her husband were first time customers. They loved it! Food was wonderful. The staff was attentive, helpful, and friendly. Our visit was in celebration of three birthdays(my husband, our son, and my brother-in-law). We all agreed that Cajun Queen is a great place for a family celebration! We can't wait till next time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food DecliningMizzDaisyDined on 9/7/2014This was my favorite place for so long; however, my last 3 visits have been quite disappointing for the food quality and service. I also gifted a few coupons to family and friends and they were disappointed with the food. I may consider giving it another chance when I am back in town and talk to management if there has not been any improvements.
- Etoufee! !!lem2Dined on 9/7/2014The Etoufee was outstanding! My friend had the Diane and left not a morsel on his plate. The waiter was very responsive and knowledgeAble about questions concerning our food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Queen is dead!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014I was so excited and talked my family into joining me remembering Cajun Queen of the good ole days....far cry from it!! We have family from New Orleans; definitely not authentic Cajun. Gumbo was actually disgusting it was so watery and tasted more like salsa than gumbo ($4/cup) & my etouffe was scorched! The only good thing is we used a Groupon otherwise my husband would have been outraged. Sad, but true. The other saving grace was our server...he made the meal bearable and we tipped him as such! Our daughter was home for a visit, so we just didn't want to complain ruining our lovely Sunday afternoon, so paid bill & left.
- Cajun Queen is KINGCarolinaCajunDined on 9/6/2014Our experience was wonderful. Great Food. I love cajun food and this is the best outside of Louisiana. The crawfish etouffee was the best. We also had bbq shrimp appetizer and seafood gumbo appetizer. The hostesses and waiters were great and the valet parking people even went down the street to my parked car and returned an item I had forgotten to bring to the restaurant. That is service above and beyond. These folks are great. I would go back there in a minute.Special Features:
- Won't be going back hereeat4funDined on 9/5/2014Although we had a 9pm reservation, we were not seated until 9:20. The waitress never even introduced herself to use by name and she seemed uninterested in her job. We ordered two appetizers and only one came out. Had to remind her we were waiting for the second one, then she brought it out. The drinks were good. I the food was so-so. Nothing fabulous. Not as spicy as I had expected for a Cajun place. I've had better shrimp and grits. I won't rush to get back to this place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Loved Cajun Queen, as always. Couldn't hear the band, though, as we were seated downstairs. Wish they would install a sound system so the entire restaurant could hear the live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cajun experience is slippingSamSunDined on 9/4/2014We've dined here many times in the past and our last experience left us with a "been there done that" feeling. The food was ok but not great; service was fine; very noisy as always. This used to offer a very good pseudo-New Orleans substitute, but now it it's tired. We probably won't return unless they offer something new.Special Features:
- New Orleans in Charlotte!!!EatNCLTDined on 9/3/2014Great find! If you like New Orleans & New Orleans food... This IS the place for you! Outstanding Cajun food! This restaurant is more on the high end with high end prices, but well worth it! The waiter gave my girlfriend a complimentary piece of pie for her birthday. Highly recommend hands down, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love That Cajun Fish ….ZenFoodieDined on 8/31/2014We eat at Cajun Queen often and ALWAYS leave happy and satisfied. Someone new came along, so maybe we messed up the mojo. With a reservation several days in advance, we were surprised that our party of 3 was seated at a table clearly designed for 2 and situated directly at the corner of a fireplace mantle. The hostess brushed off our inquiry -- so we reconfigured the table to avoid the concussion my husband would otherwise have inevitably sustained. Ok. The various dishes we ordered -- fish special, étouffée, gumbo -- were fabulous, AS ALWAYS. The wine recommended was just right and reasonably priced. The bread (usually delicious) was stale. Our server, Alex, was truly a delight -- fun, helpful and knowledgable. We'll be back!
- Wasn't impressed....cltfoodieDined on 8/30/2014I had never been to Cajun Queen and had been told for years I needed to. To begin, there is no parking but there is free valet. The busser was more cheerful and accommodating than the server who seemed to be in the weeds all night. We weren't given a beer or wine list and the rushed server rattled a couple off her head and we settled for the first one that sounded good. Then the food - BIG disappointment. HUGELY overpriced for what you get. I lived in NOLA and the food here is not anything close to NOLA food. I've had better cajun in my kitchen or down the way at Boudreaux's. Next, coffee and dessert...I had to request cream and sugar. The bread pudding: HUGE disappointment as it was overly compacted and tasted like a mix. Won't go back.
- Great MealLauriegirlDined on 8/30/2014We decided on Cajun Queen for our son's Birthday. We had 2 groupons so that helped too and CQ let us use both of them. We were upstairs this time and were a little concerned because we had heard that the band can get really loud but that was not the case. It was very enjoyable. First we started with the Fried Green Tomato appetizer-awesome, then 3 of our group got the Cajun Pasta Special, 1 Chicken Diane, 1 Creole with Crayfish. All were excellent. The latter 2 could have been a little hotter but we didn't want to wait, otherwise the food was excellent. Also, 3 got Ceasar salads-no complaints there. Too stuffed for the dessert. Service was good too. We really like this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cajun QueenKfermentDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is a family favorite for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for CajunQueenCityTransplantDined on 8/30/2014Very generous servings. Shared crawfish tails for an appetizer. Ordered chicken Diane as an entree. Ended up taking 1/2 home. No way I could order dessert, though I really wanted to. Food was cooked well with just the right amount of spice heat. Nice to find authentic Cajun food here in Charlotte. Service was good, just enough attention without being annoying. We had an early seating (5:30) in the upstairs dining room so it wasn't crowded, but the tables are tight. It's not a place to have an intimate conversation. Musicians started about halfway into our meal but weren't as loud as I expected. Still, I can imagine the noise level increases as the evening goes on. Major points for the complimentary valet! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Birthday at Cajun QueenJessicaDined on 8/29/2014My first experience at Cajun Queen was on my birthday and the ambiance was loud it was a small building and no parking lot. There is no waiting area downstairs in front for me and my kids to wait on the reservation. It was loud and tight space for seating hard to navigate due to tight areas. The servers were in a rush and all over the place like a zoo. I wanted to be seated near the Jazz and thought the Jazz music was for everyone in the entire restaurant. Not a kid friendly environment. I ordered the Diana which was rubbery, greasy and buttery. For the little bit if food given was overpriced. The meal itself I feel like I could of made at home. The bread was too hard. The bread pudding was tasteless and old
- YumYumYum100Dined on 8/28/2014The food and dessert was outstanding. Loved looking at everyone's order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakBigBoyDined on 8/27/2014I ordered the blackened filet mignon, and it was remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discount DiningDonaldDined on 8/25/2014We enjoyed the food here as usual, however the discounted coupon from Groupon made the meal really inexpensive. The service was Great!Special Features:
- One of our favorite placesMimiDined on 8/24/2014We go to Cajun Queen for the fried oysters appetizer and the great cajun foods. Always need a "to go" box for leftovers (get SO much food). We probably eat here at least once a month! Highly recommended. Wish they were open for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousadsamuels612Dined on 8/23/2014I really enjoy the food at the Cajun Queen. It may be a little tight in some places but the service is great. The desserts could be a little bigger .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.