Caffe Valentino - Philadelphia
1245 S. 3rd St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Caffe Valentino - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.caffevalentino.com/
- Phone: 2153363033
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm,
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catering options are available.
A word from Caffe Valentino - Philadelphia
Beautiful Italian BYOB, and a staple for the last 7 years in the Pennsport area of South Philadelphia. Traditional cuisine and fresh pasta dishes are what make this little known gem so special. Formerly part of a trio of restaurants, Caffe Valentino now stands and shines alone after its new expansion: Caffe Valentino seats 45 downstairs in its rustic first floor dining room and a maximum of 100 guests in its elegant second floor dining room with full, open kitchen. If you haven't dined at Caffe Valentino before, it is a definite "must try" for your next dinner out or family gathering. Great for large groups as well as romantic dining.Continued
Chi mangia bene, vive bene!
Who eats well, lives well!
Chi mangia bene, vive bene!
Who eats well, lives well!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Caffe Valentino - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
Caffe Valentino - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (16)romantic (15)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Memorable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014This was our first visit and will be the start of many more. The great service was only seconded by the excellent food. The fried calamari was simply the best we've experienced. Lightly battered, crisp on the outside but soft and tender inside. My wife and I both ordered the two fish specials of the night which were Orato and pan-seared, sushi grade tuna. The Orato was brought out whole and our server proceeded to skillfully fillet the fish at the table. Both entrees were tasty and prepared perfectly. We will be returning soon.Special Features:
- jlynnDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I have dined here quite a few times and have always had great food and a wonderful time. Sam and Heather always provide excellent service and the owner Cosimos has stopped by our table to chat numerous times. Such a great neighborhood spot for us, with delicious food and warm & friendly service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLoverDined on 9/6/2014The service was good and the place is beautiful. The food was okay, It's a little to pricey for the quantity of food they give you.
- Relaxing nightBYOBGuyDined on 9/3/2014When we stepped into Caffe Valentino we were welcomed with a warm greeting. We were immediately seated and the service was great. We did not feel rushed to order and the server was politely available when necessary. Not intrusive. The food, from appetizers to dessert, was excellent. The tiramisu was the best I've ever had! A special note to the singing of the wonderful Happy Birthday by the server/owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFirstTimeDined on 8/13/2014I love everything. No complaint. My server Sam was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Our first time at the restaurant. The staff was outstanding and the food was very good. We all had a great time!!!Special Features:
- Great experienceMackieDined on 7/29/2014I was pleasantly surprised with Caffe Valentino. I was expecting the standard south Philly byob experience. I have to say, the food was definitely above average and the service was incredibly pleasant. I was very happy to have such a great time here for my birthday. I would recommend the dishes we had which were the eggplant rollantini, vegetable antipasto, and the chicken Valentino. All very delicious. The atmosphere was great. Even though you're still in South Philly, they had the large windows open so the air was flowing. It was really really a great dining experience overall and is definitely worth a try if you're looking for a better than average BYOB in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An authentic Italian restaurant!JoedrrtVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I love Valentino's.......been there 5-6 times. Especially in warm weather. They open the big windows and have tables on the sidewalk. Service has always been just right. And there's no problem parking right on Moyamensing Avenue. But, go there for the food. The kitchen knows how to cook. I always see a short, older lady working back there, and she seems to be the master of the kitchen. They also have a wood-burning pizza oven, recently installed. Great pizza. This restaurant could be at home in the city of Rome. But, they're BYOB as well. Bring a nice bottle of Italian red or white. Get the Tira Misu, an espresso, and sit back and enjoy the end of dinner at Valentino's! You'll be back.Special Features:
- NickVIPDined on 7/9/2014In the heart of South Philly, Caffe Valentino stands out as one of finest Italian restaurants. Food is outstanding and service is impeccable. Just like eating with family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickVIPDined on 6/29/2014Another exceptional meal at Caffe Valentino. The Bronzino is superb amongst all the other specials to try. Service as always top shelf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- byohuntbyohuntDined on 6/28/2014I think I just ordered the wrong thing. The best thing I ever had there was a pizza. The food as a rule is mediocre. The Saturday night grilled special was really bad. If I go there again it will be for the pizza.
- Exquisite Italian Restaurantluv2dineDined on 6/25/2014My boyfriend and I dined at Caffe Valentino for the first time, for our third Anniversary. It was such a wonderful experience. The food was absolutely devine, and the service was so generous and helpful. We definitely will be returning in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good!crackcrabDined on 6/6/2014The charm of this byob restaurant is nothing compared to the friendly service and the delicious food. We sat at an open window table and was greeted by the owners. I ordered the Beets with goat cheese, arugula & walnuts with a strawberry vinaigrette that was refreshing and flavorful. My man ordered the caesar and enjoyed it as well (he wished it had anchovies). Entrees were the chicken alla valentino which looked and tasted delicious, while I had the special - Shrimp in a light sauce with papperdelle noodles. The pasta was cooked perfectly and melted in my mouth. Dessert was the homemade chocolate mousse. This is true mousse - thick, chocolately and airy. The whole experience was outstanding. We will be coming back soon.Special Features:
- coming home to South PhillyNickVIPDined on 6/1/2014We have become a regular more or less to Caffe Valentino. Returning to South Philly is coming home for me. Returning to Caffe Valentino is similar to returning to family. Always warmly greeted. Then the feast begins. Don't bother to read the menu. Just listen to the daily specials....and they are superb. Just bring your favorite wine, sit back and relax and let the wait staff take over. Heather is top shelf.Special Features:
- a favorite in PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014Caffe Valentino is reliably excellent time after time. Nino guarantees a fine meal with great service.Special Features:
- The following 80 reviews are from the Caffe Valentino - Philadelphia reviews archive.
- NickVIPDined on 5/5/2014Simply a superb restaurant in the heart of South Philly. If its not on the menu....ask for it. They will accomodate you. Sam the waiter is top shelf!Special Features:
- caffe valentino1psuVIPDined on 5/3/2014Better than ever. Food, service, excellent as always. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- How can you not like this place?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2014Everyone is friendly and welcoming. Definitely a neighborhood gem. This is not your typical Italian (BYOB) bistro. It is better than that. Sure they have pasta but Italian food is not just pasta. They know how to make food with flavor from their fresh green salads to the sea bass filet-ed table-side, everything was a joy to eat and share. If you are especially fortunate, you will get to meet Cosimos, the owner. Every ounce Italian, happy, kind, cares for his customers and passionate about his food... and can not talk unless he is moving his hands. Such a pleasure to be in the same room with him. :) You are missing out if you have never tried Caffe Valentino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic timesTerrellDined on 3/30/2014The restaurant is clean and appealing upon entry. There was not a lot of traffic in the restaurant so our conversations did not require yelling. All the food we were presented looked and tasted fantastic---so much so our conversations became muted once the food arrived. The menu is not expansive so you are not inundated with choices. The luxury of BYOB brings an additional positive to atmosphere. The staff was attentive, helpful and courteous. Overall, a great experience and will definitely look to return for a romantic evening with my lady in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentChrisDined on 3/22/2014Everything about this restaurant was top notch. The moment we walked in the door we were greeted by the owner, we were seated promptly and provided excellent service throughout the meal. The food could not have been any better and easily rivals any Italian restaurant in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Enjoyable ......FranW61Dined on 3/15/2014Just a can't go wrong dining experience .... great atmosphere, great food and great service. The staff is exceptional and the owner and is wife are great. Love this place !!!Special Features:
- Fabulous BYOB!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Great place to eat alone or with friends. Always greeted warmly and the pizza's are outstanding. Pasta dishes delicious...especially the seafood & linguini! Their Burrata is to die for! This is a great place to eat alone or with a group of friends. They always accommodate no matter what the situation. This is a gem in the heart of South Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealitalianloverDined on 1/18/2014We have eaten at Caffe Valentino a number of times and the food has always been excellent. At our most recent visit, the staff was friendly and welcoming and the pace of the meal was very well timed. We went during Center City restaurant week and were so happy we skipped that scene for a comparably priced but much more enjoyable meal in South Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- although i liked the ambiancefoodloverDined on 1/6/2014although i liked the ambiance and service was very good, i was disappointed in the food. My beet salad was smothered in dressing, which was not very good. My entree (chicken cutlet) was just ok. I think they could use a new chef.Special Features:
- New Years question mark............Protector1020Dined on 12/31/2013I can't say if the experience will be the same on a normal day. The atmosphere on the first floor was nice, but we were seated upstairs in a large open room near the kitchen. There was a large facade where the cooking was done which dominated the room. The atmosphere did not work for me. There was a limited menu for NYE; we shared a good but extremely small antipasto for two, then had two excellent but very small lobster ravioli each, the main course was an excellent rack of lamb and I had an average veal with Prosciutto and finished with a very good Tiramisu. Overall the food was average, small portions, very loud (NYE maybe), but the two servers were excellent, very sharp and very friendly. I probably would not go there again however.
- Opera and PizzaFrequentDinerDined on 12/28/2013In Valentino's you can get live opera and brick oven pizza in the same place. How often does that happen? The staff is fantastic (opera singer included). The food is divine. The prices are unbelievable -- given the menu and quality. It's worth repeat trips and we do repeat -- every chance we get. When in Philly, make Valentino's a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!ReesesDined on 12/22/2013Wonderful pizzas and exceptional white mussels and appetizer of mozzarella stuffed with ricotta on greens. Special thanks to Cosimo for being the kind of host who makes a visit special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrendous wait time for food!LoveBYOBsDined on 12/7/2013We had been to CV on a couple of occassions the past 3 yrs. The owners are cordial and welcoming. The food was very good. The ambiance of the small downstairs DR is nice. We've never been upstairs. Not sure how large it is. We hadn't been to CV in awhile & after our most recent visit this past Sat. night, we remember why now. We had a 7:15 reservation & were seated promptly. The soup appetizer arrived fine, but there was a loooong wait for our entrees. It was about 8:45 when we were finally served and we were starved! The DR is small and not sure how busy they were upstairs, but this was the 2nd time that we experienced an unacceptable wait for food. Maybe they need a kitchen up there. Sorry, but we don't plan on going back again.Special Features:
- The food was so good , wentSoninlawVIPDined on 10/21/2013The food was so good , went for lunch and went back for dinner !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner withuwilllvitDined on 10/17/2013Another great dinner with friends our favorite place to meetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Saturday Night SpotsouthphillygirlVIPDined on 10/5/2013The two times I have been to this restaurant, the food was always of high quality. Our waiters were good and they explained all the specials and food items on the menu very well. The downstairs area was a little cramped upon our second visit due to big parties. My only complaint is the guitar player. It is quite tacky to go around to each table asking for money on a plate while you are eating. I think a tip jar should be put at the front of the restaurant and patrons of the restaurant should not feel forced to contribute. That was quite awkward. Good BYOB restaurant.Special Features:
- Not badWhydoineedtoenteranicknamVIPDined on 9/22/2013Sounds questionable, but really... it wasn't bad. Wasn't too exp, but wasn't cheap. Wasn't delicious, but was tasty. Menu was fine, but not interesting. Service was competent, but not flawless. And setting was pleasant but not cozy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My girlfriends and I haveDinner42Dined on 9/21/2013My girlfriends and I have only few restaurants to which we will never say "no." Valentino is always a YES! This is truly a neighborhood gem that not only stands out, but stands above - way above! The service is extremely professional and the food is excellent. And it is a BYOB. Great of a date with significant other if you like a classy restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left feeling satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2013As soon as you walk in you feel as though you're walking into your Italian grandmother's house for Sunday dinner. Their service was great and food delicious! I would highly recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good as any in Rome.....JoedrrtVIPDined on 8/10/2013Authentic Italian fare, service, ambiance. The food was delicious and simply prepared. Nice choices on the menu, and Specials. Clean place. BYOB. Easy parking on the street. Very reasonably priced. We go out to dinner every Saturday night, and this one's a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They did it again...RJOPRDined on 7/23/2013This is not our first trip to Caffe Valentino. We had a dinner meeting there. The three meals were excellent as was the service...and a BYOB to boot. Can't be beaten!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My family loves caffe Valentino.BigfanDined on 6/29/2013My family loves caffe Valentino. We have been there a number of times and never had a bad experience. Food and service always excellent. My son had his wedding rehearsal dinner there a few years back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good,great service,didOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Food was good,great service,did not appreciate the guitar player. would go back again only because it's a BYOB and plenty of off street parking available.foodSpecial Features:
- A Nice NightBeeRichardVIPDined on 4/17/2013Terrific service. Excellent mussels. Very nice dessert selection.Special Features:
- our absolute favorite.muffeeVIPDined on 4/14/2013love this place - love it so much i feel protective - don't want it overrun - but it really deserves to be famous. fabulous food, no issues with special requests, just wonderful. reminds me of new york restaurants. so tired of the way chefs in this city overuse vinegar. everything tastes the same. but not hear. you get the full flavor of the foods you eat. and a relaxed experience. a gracious experience. as if you're dining in a friend's home. just can't say enough about this place.Special Features: