200 Sheridan Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafferiace.com/
- Phone: 6503280407
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Dave Page
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For all your catering needs, contact our sister company JustCatering, and ask for Maurizio. He can be reached directly by calling 650.518.1043 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: We occasionally invite local musicians to play for our guests. Our instruments of choice are always non-amplified, and we tend to favor the classical guitar, the mandolin, and the accordion.
A word from Caffe Riace
Caffe Riace, a robust Palo Alto trattoria, offers conviviality, homemade specialties and family-style warmth. One of many fine restaurants in the California Avenue section of Palo Alto, Riace is family-run. Every dish is made with honest expertise. No tricky trendiness here, just the same good old fashioned recipies mom and dad follow at home. Caffe Riace is also a perfect venue for wedding receptions, business meetings, graduations and other special events. If you're looking for an intimate dining experience, we offer private dining rooms, at no extra cost, that accommodate up to 20 guests. Our patio can host up to 200 guests and is a wonderful venue for warm weather events of any kind!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Caffe Riace - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Caffe Riace reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (64)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (40)special occasion (32)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (27)good for groups (23)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (9)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- Cafe Riace Never Disappoints!!CZDAVISDined on 10/14/2014Having just returned from Italy and wanting a setting reminiscent of being there, Cafe Riace was the obvious choice. And, even though we sat inside (in fear of rain, tho none appeared) and ambiance isn't the same as outside, everything was still superb...as usual. I took 3 friends to dinner as a thank you and everthing was wonderful...from wine to food to service! We all had a pasta dish and each of us was very pleased. The gnocci, which is made in house, was as good as my grandmother used to make. Our server did everthing to make our dining experience exceptional. We got lucky because he said he only works there on Tuesday nights. So, thank you, Salvatore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance PlusRDCRITICDined on 10/8/2014This is a quaint outdoor restaurant with sculptures and water falls. Very nice. Unlike any other restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for outdoor diningDebraVIPDined on 10/1/2014The food is very good but the best part is the outdoor enclosed patio. This keeps the noise at bay and allows for a very romantic and quiet experience. There is much to appreciate in this distinctly different Italian bistro. The portions are generous and the prices are a bit steep. The fish was very fresh and delicious. The salads were wonderful.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch al frescoMissMarthaDined on 9/26/2014A hidden gem. What a very nice place for a special lunch. Like we went to southern Italy. Love the sculptures too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Palo Alto restaurantTbirdDined on 9/24/2014I love this place. The setting is wonderful....especially on a balmy night. You eat in an outdoor courtyard...fountains, plants, etc. Service is great. Food is very good. The risotto appetizer is different but very good (sort of like deep fried balls). Oso bucco was excellent as was the petrale sole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemPBHATVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great outdoor dining, delicious food. Inconspicuous location. Wish we had known about this place sooner. Excellent pasta dishes, caprese salad and wine selection. Good service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- I forgot what a great place this istwgpVIPDined on 9/8/2014I haven't dined here for quite awhile and am wondering what took me so long to return. Perfect luncheon place location- and cuisine-wise. The linguine vongole is simply delicious!Special Features:
- true Italian approach to foodpianonoirVIPDined on 9/7/2014a very pleasant out door patio is the setting for reliably good Italian food in enormous portions. the peach and burrata salad was amazingly good as it is hard to find good burrata here. wonderful place to dine with friends on a summers evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuonaseraSjblessedDined on 9/2/2014Caffe Riace has become one of my favorite restaurants in the Palo Alto area. The outdoor dining is wonderful this time of year. Franco and his staff are friendly and accommodating. And the nightly specials are just that special - the fish (sea bass and sole) were done to perfection and the pork tenderloin done as a cordon bleu-style was paired with butternut squash orzo and sauté spinach - yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!LocalfamilyDined on 8/29/2014Food was delicious. Service was great. We love this place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Avoid Being Near the Fountain!LikesquietDined on 8/23/2014Way too much water flow. The noise was overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suzyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great food, beautiful romantic setting, great service.Special Features:
- Sadly disappointedWowdisappointedDined on 8/7/2014I have been going to this restaurant for years. Sadly we had a horrible experience this visit. To start the service was slow. A waitress recommended a wine that was not drinkable. We had to send back. I've never done that before. Did I mention the service was slow!!! My entree of petrole fish came out burnt to a crisp. I didn't asked for gush jersey. Had to send mine back and that always leaves the uncomfortable feeling of sitting watching your other diner eat while you just sit. Yucky for all. We had a groupon but they knew they screwed up badly and they didn't even offer any concession. Even just a free dessert to acknowledge their mistakes. Nope. For $150 dinner for 2 it was very disappointing. I will go back one more timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love dining alfrescociaobellaDined on 8/2/2014next best thing to eating in a piazza in Rome....fresh ingredients, variety on the menu, and wonderful ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was lacklustercaseysmomVIPDined on 7/29/2014Sat in the courtyard and there were maybe a total 5 - 8 tables and more than one waiter and server. Attending to our table should not have been too difficult. Food was excellant -- having to wait for the grated cheese --- food was no longer hot! Had to ask for water refills... not great attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 7/17/2014Consistently good neighborhood restaurant. Casual and comfortable and not expensive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/7/2014Service and food was not up to Caffe Riace's usual standard. Appetizers were not served in a timely fashion and one was never served. Pasta was not as hot as it should. be. Bread was not fresh. Coffee never even offered. Disappointing but ambiance is always great.
- veg8tableVIPDined on 6/28/2014the BEST outdoor dining ! Great food, like being in Italy.. we dine here regularly and just enjoy it so much..Special Features:
- Previously good, but now not so.MartyDined on 6/27/2014We have previously dined at Caffe Riace and liked it. We were very disappointed with our last visit. Service was slow, but eventually our order was taken. That's where things went wrong. The wine steward approached. His first comment was "I want to let you know that our owner is offering a special on a wine normally $200/bottle, but tonight only $150 as we would like to reduce our inventory." We declined and eventually ordered a $60 bottle of cabernet for our party of 4. The wine steward left, then returned about 5 minutes later and said that we really would do better with another cabernet that normally is $30 higher, but he had a deal for that bottle for only $75. We are there to eat dinner, not to haggle over wine prices.
- Great food, lousy waiterWendieDined on 6/27/2014The food was delicious. Our waiter was inattentive - such as delivering cappuccino's without spoons or sugar, not listening to me order vegetarian lasagna instead of the regular lasagna. The rest of the wait staff was very nice and helpful. Too bad our waiter didn't seem to care about our table.Special Features:
- Unique and delightful diningyohoyoaHobbitslifeformeVIPDined on 6/22/2014We loved the funky patio setting with giant naked statuary, a fountain with Venus hefting a front loading washer, a line of Vespas and a few other fun touches to make you feel like you just walked into an elegant Italian garage sale. The service was friendly, just attentive enough, never stuffy. We loved the antipasto appetizer (one person's worth is enough to share) because we got to try several things at once. On one visit, there was a divine bacon-wrapped pork loin on offer as a special that evening. Perfectly cooked, the bacon crispy and the pork loin juicy. The accompanying grilled peach the perfect sweet companion. Another time we chose the cannelloni, which was rich and meaty. Glad we shared that. Desserts very generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 501 reviews are from the Caffe Riace reviews archive.
- Great food but noisyTravelEaterDined on 6/19/2014For balmy evenings outdoors I'd pick this place but next time pick a table away from the large fountain. The falling water made it hard to hear conversation. We noticed the indoor rooms for 8 or 12, and a few tables indoors (much quieter, but no outdoor California living). Everyone liked the food, and the service was fine. We'll eat here again next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rickDined on 6/18/2014waiters a little pushy took appetizer away with food leftSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/18/2014a bit pricey for lunch since the menu is the same for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantlocalDined on 6/16/2014Caffe Riace is a lovely outdoor restaurant decorated with fun, interesting objects and art. The food is delicious and the service friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014We went there for the first time on Father's Day. It exceeded our expectations. The food and wine was reasonably priced and very good. I highly recommend the resteraunt.Special Features:
- Patio dining at its bestSunstormerVIPDined on 6/11/2014As always Caffe Riace was a delight. Interesting menu items, good service, pleasant ambience. Best eggplant salad ever.Special Features:
- CarlVIPDined on 6/7/2014food and service great, but my flower delivery was lost in their kitchen or somewhere, and no attempt made to find itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something wrong hereLividdavidVIPDined on 5/27/2014We have had so many fine meals and experiences here at Caffé Riace. Something seems to have been missing this evening. The menu did not point out that the hearts of Romaine salad had bacon sprinkled on it. Quite good, but not for my daughter. A steak à la française, which just wasn't very good. Good enough chianti. Not the usual. I'm not saying we are never going back; we shall return and hope to find that this was an aberration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dining, reliable foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/25/2014We have dined here repeatedly, and the food is consistently good. Now that the summer weather and warm evenings are here, we'll probably make this a weekly destination.Special Features:
- Not the BestaccordnguyVIPDined on 5/17/2014The ambience was great. It felt that we were at a restaurant in Italy; the waiters were disorganized and not very attentive. The waiter insisted that my guest had 2 main courses in mind: the osso bucco or the fritti mare. She was leanding towards the former, but the waite pusehd the fritti mare as he seemed to be preoccupied with the other tables. She decided ont he fritti mare bute then changed her mind. They breought her the fritti mare. We were expecting more of a relaxed atmosphere, but we experienced was waiters whizzing by us going from one table to the next and at no time inquiring whether we were enjoyng the meal or if there was anything else we needed. The staff seemed nice but really disorganized.Special Features:
- Great ambience, slow serviceSuzanneDined on 5/16/2014When the weather gets warm, this is a go-to place. All seating is outside in a lovely patio garden space. We all ordered pasta that was very good. The only complaint is that the service is terribly slow. Also, our party of four was seated at a round table that seats 6 or 8. This made is a bit difficult to converse across such a wide space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014I like the outdoor seating. Very charming. Food was great, particularly appetizer and pasta. Salad was so-so. Worth a repeat visit, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Mothers Day dinnerlbweberVIPDined on 5/11/2014Title says it all. Hidden in an unlikely spot, this place is worth making a special trip. I have been there 4 or 5 times and every time I left looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Food was less than averageNoodlesVIPDined on 5/10/2014Caffe Riace's food and portions were less than average. We had 3 orders of the Tutto Mare pasta, and the serving size was quite small. I feel like for around $20 a plate, the portion sizes should have been bigger. We had an order of the spaghetti bolognese and the portion size was bigger. Also, I had called a few days in advance to get a table inside, and when we got there, they wanted to seat us outside. The night was a little chilly, so our party wanted to sit inside. They were able to seat us inside but I felt my request was a nuisance for them. The flavor of the food is really good, they just didn't give us enough portions. The service was pretty good. I don't think I will be going back though.
- GREAT FIND AT THE COURT HOUSECarmelHighlandsVIPDined on 5/9/2014Our table was ready & we were seated immediately, given menus, and served hot excellent focaccia bread. Our server explained that the regular menu was on the front & the specials on the back of a printed sheet. When we realized our menus listed different specials, our server said I had an old menu and replaced it. We both ordered Aragosta Pasta with Shrimp & Lobster in a light lobster cream sauce. The large portions were served hot & it was delicious! The shrimp were large, but, I do wish the chef had cut the lobster chunks bigger even though it would have resulted in a smaller number of them. The chairs were quite uncomfortable and not conducive to sitting and enjoying a bottle of wine. Seat cushions would be a definite improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findPhilDined on 5/9/2014We arrived at 5:30 PM on a windy evening and therefore did not choose to eat in the courtyard. There are heating lamps. The food was excellent especially the Linguini Tutti di Mare,Caprese Salad and Tiramasu. The parking across from the restaurant is very convenient with many spaces available. We were very pleased and will return again. The sculptures in the courtyard and in the restaurant, as well as paintings on the wall give the restaurant an Italian Sicilian flare.Special Features:
- no gas?kerrplunksDined on 5/2/2014for an outside restaurant running out of gas for the heaters is a big deal. It worked out for us as we realized (all on our own) that the heaters were running out. And waiters were bringing blankets to patrons. Even though we asked early on to ensure there was extra heaters around our table of 6 nobody said anything until we brought it and asked to be moved inside. With that we got a lovely private dinning room that was perfect. Only thing is the waiter kind of forgot about us, i had to go outside and find somebody to clear our table and bring dessert. That said, it's a lovely place and we all had an excellent time. Just disappointed in how they handled the misteps. Just own it and go with it. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Outdoor Dining GreatPricey4fourDined on 4/28/2014Great location for outdoor dining on a nice evening. It was a little windy and cold when we sat down; but, the waiters turned on two heat lamps and brought blankets for the girls so we were able to stay quit cozy. Once the wind died it was beautiful. I had the halibut with lemon risotto, which was good, but not great! Overall dinner was a little on the pricey side, with moderate bottle of wine and a couple of appetizers, the total was $250 including tip for 4 people.Special Features:
- Cafe RiaceFoodAddictDined on 4/26/2014Inside dining area very, very small, a little claustrophobic actually. Had a salad, lasagne & dessert: the salad was very good, large and with lots of goodies in it, altho the salad dressing was kind of bland. The lasagne was enough to split between me and my dining pal, but the plate came with just lasagna--it definitely needed some vegetables added, and certainly would have improved the appearance, as well as adding another needed taste--just a plate of lasagna, pretty boring! They served foccaccia with an olive dip--the bread was good but I hate olives so didn't enjoy that at all. Had the apple strudel for dessert with coconut ice cream--and it was just absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.