59 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.caffemacaroni.com/
- Phone: (415) 956-9737
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Italian, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Mario Ascione
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
A word from Caffe Macaroni
Chef & co-owner, Mario and his delightful wife, Stephanie, have a knack for making you feel as if they are cooking and serving just for you at this super-reasonable North Beach nook offering robust Southern Italian fare reminiscent of his native Naples; whether you’ve snagged an outdoor table or are in the small, casual interior, it delivers a pasta fix.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Caffe Macaroni - Best Restaurants in North Beach ›
Caffe Macaroni reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (8)great for lunch (8)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (5)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Mom's birthday celebrationCavs123Dined on 11/7/2014Wow the Macaroni Caffe was so much fun!! Thanks for the heart evening to celebrate Mom!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic CharmlunchgalDined on 11/1/2014Happy, attentive and authentic Italians creating delicious dishes. Lots of specials not on the menu. Take the time to listen through their thick accents for all the add-ons. Our group of six were seated upstairs at a small table in a small room with a low ceiling with lots of red paint everywhere! It added to the charm. The food was very good, fresh and delicious. We would recommend Caffee Macaroni to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suprise supriseMichaelInSvyVIPDined on 10/25/2014I discovered Caffe Macaroni via Open Table -- it was close to where she lives, and where I could find inexpensive parking. It was also Game 4 of the World Series which in and of itself could make finding places to eat and park difficult. The evening was warm and the Caffe has outdoor seating. SO that is where we sat, drank, talked, laughed, and ate. In fact we received instructions and delightful banter from both Miguelo and Luka our servers. Caffe Macaroni is a FIND! Good food, excellent service from truly Southern Italians. I'll/we'll return.Special Features:
- Was expecting better....SteakLoverDined on 10/24/2014Researched restaurants in the area and this was rated #39 restaurant in SF. Expected better for this high of a rating. Warning....menu prices are approximately double that shown in online menus for this restaurant. On a positive note, the service was outstanding. Very friendly waiter.
- Wonderful & Authentic Italian FoodSpikermikeVIPDined on 10/11/2014Very much enjoyed this restaurant. It was an interesting experience as the interior was very small and had to go upstairs into this awkward shaped room with very low ceiling. The service was entertaining and attentive and the food was very good. Will definately go back.Special Features:
- Fun but sloppy on serviceBooPriceDined on 10/10/2014I've been here before. The food is good for regional Italian and neighborhood feel. Impossible to get a glass of water though. Cramped and very loud. Still fun.Special Features:
- Charming and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/9/2014Tiny place, lively atmosphere, lots of Italian being spoken. We studied the menu and had almost made up our minds when the owner came over and recited the list of specials which was almost as long as the printed menu. Oh my! We chose two specials, the seafood black ink pasta and the baby octopus spaghetti, both of which were excellent. The tricolore salad was a perfect starter: fresh, crisp, lightly dressed. We'll be back.Special Features:
- ArrowDined on 10/8/2014Seated at community table even with reservation. Luckily, party of 5 seated with us was friendly. Waiter was obnoxious. Didn't inform us of list of specials and when I told him , he replied that I hadn't asked. Owner came by after I spoke with him and offered apology and glass of wine which was charged to us. However, the food was very well prepared.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC AND ALWAYS CONSISTENTOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/23/2014A fun and friendly restaurant with delicious fresh food.Special Features:
- Mixed ExperienceEastBayDined on 9/20/2014Service was great & we were seated immediately at a tiny table on the sidewalk (which I wasn't wild about). I hoped for something more comfortable indoors. We were out with the cars and people going by, etc. The pappardelle was great altho I have had much better (try Scopa in Healdsburg). Husband ordered pork cheeks on penne. The sauce was good but the pork cheeks were bizarrely rubbery. Not even kidding. Our friend (a big pork fan) didn't believe us so he reached over and tried a piece. He was literally fighting to tear off a piece with his teeth and finally gave up. No idea what they were thinking serving that. The wine our server recommended complemented our dinner. Mixed experience. Too many other choices to return again.
- One of the best in SF!CityboyinSFDined on 9/13/2014I've been here several times and have never been disappointed. The food is of very high quality and the staff are the most unique in the city. All are very friendly, very Italian, and very concerned about your experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True ItalianReliableVIPDined on 9/12/2014I love the fact that this restaurant is truly Italian, and essentially unchanged for 25 years. They are not out to win any culinary awards, but deliver the classics at a very reasonable price and with true Italian flair. It's a funky, cozy little place, and that is its charm.Special Features:
- Awesome timeNordoVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food great service - every time we go we are so happy....can't wait to dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Real ThingLynnroseVIPDined on 8/19/2014It's hard to find Italian food as good as this, anywhere, even in North Beach. The restaurant is really small but has a nice menu and you receive incredibly good service here. An outstanding dining experience.Special Features:
- The real dealPritchmusDined on 8/16/2014This place is exactly what you hope a small city centre authentic Italian should be; an exuberant warm welcome, and rush of garlic scented air to wet your appetite. Noise, bustle and a great menu. The seafood on black pasta was outstanding, as were the calamari and salmon. The House Pino Grigio was very acceptable, and the wine list also has some interesting regional Italian wines at reasonable prices. The Neopolitan dessert cake with a glass of Marsala wine rounded off the meal beautifully. Our party were all enthusiastic 'foodies' and Mario and his team did not disappoint us.Special Features:
- Service, Attention and CleanlinessNotReturningDined on 8/2/2014The quality and taste of the authentic Italian food was the best. However, the main waiter-owner never recognized that an OpenTable reservation was ever made. Once having been seated 45 minutes after the reservation, no attention was paid to our table for another 25 minutes. We were never asked if we wanted a refill on our drinks or water, the owner never wrote our orders down erroring on the main dishes and forgetting one dessert, which one of his servers said he would get once the owner approved it for us. Lastly, my wife could not use the bathroom as it hadn't been cleaned in a week. As such, no birthdays or the anniversary we were celebrating was even recognized as were noted in the OpenTable reservation comments.Special Features:
- The following 94 reviews are from the Caffe Macaroni reviews archive.
- PatMDined on 7/18/2014This is a real find. I have passed it many times and never realized that it was a spot for such great food. Everything is authentic, classic southern Italian. Tiny, but good!Special Features:
- Great food - great hostsMrRPHDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I loved our dinner at Caffe Macaroni. The staff was fun, the food was wonderful. Excellent service. Great San Francisco experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new "must stop"when in SFseekinggreatfoodDined on 7/5/2014When visiting cities I always use OpenTable, and other apps, in hopes of finding a local gem of a restaurant. It definitely worked this time! Caffe Macaroni is a small, unassuming family-run restaurant that makes amazingly good food and works hard to make you feel at home. The bruschetta appetizer was not the typical topped with tomatoes sort but was more pure and better. I had the halibut special for that day and finished it off with a piece of tiramisu. The owner/maitre d/waiter, and I am sure, dishwasher, made sure we were enjoying ourselves. After-dinner drinks included a good espresso, a surprisingly nice sparkling moscato and some delicious homemade orangecello. All in all, a very memorable experience.Special Features:
- Good Food but Annoying StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014When we first arrived, we were sat on the first level, near a loud group of four people. The place is small, so it was hard to enjoy ourselves. After that party wleft, we were relieved and began enjoying our meal. My chicken dish was very good. My fiance's lamb ragu dish was not very good. While we were eating, another couple arrived. The couple werre Italian tourists (we are locals). When the waiter spoke with them at their table, there was no problem. However, he spent the majority of time screaming at them over our table, as if we were not there. This was so annoying. We will not be back. There are plenty of other Italian places in our neighborhood.
- Good good, service not!Golden1Dined on 7/3/2014Food was very good. Don't expect this to be like other Italian places because the portions were pretty small. Will need one order per person. Pasta was very good, salads were not. Service was the main issue. We were seated upstairs and the service was a nightmare. Took over 30 min before they got water to the table. Drinks were never refilled. We even needed to follow server downstairs to hunt down the check to pay. Overall this could be a very good place to eat but the service makes it a place I would not recommend to visit.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian FoodDisappointedDined on 6/25/2014Equal to some of the best Restaurants in Italy. The pasta was cooked just right.The octopus melted in your mouth. The bronzi had a wonderful flavor. Only a few tables, so get there early or make reservation. Knowledge, helpful waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun little place!MikeVIPDined on 6/24/2014We live in the neighborhood and never noticed this place in over 8 years! We came across it on yelp so we made impromptu reservations and headed over. Food was delicious and the service was authentic Italian, complete with high energy and thick Italian accents!Special Features:
- Cozy place with great foodRazzberryDined on 6/23/2014Though the place is cozy (in other words, small), but the food is pretty awesome! Also loved the ambience there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome EVERY timeNordoVIPDined on 6/21/2014A while back work took me out of SF and I missed SF and my favorite restaurant. Now I am back from time to time and am so happy my favorite restaurant got even better. I cannot wait until I get to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hilarious funLaxdinerDined on 6/6/2014Sit up on the second floor under 6' ceilings be sure to hunch over if you're tall. Let them bring you whatever they want you to eat. The waiters are reason alone to eat here. They barely speak English so you will feel more like a foreigner in Italy. Which is perfect. They forgot to bring me my calamari but they thought they had, so we got into a loud argument which was great fun. My wine was upgraded because they didn't agree with my choice. Again, perfect. When a place is this authentic you truly feel like a friend. I will drop in whenever I'm in SF for sure. Try the afogato for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trip to NaplesDavorDined on 5/31/2014I took my wife and kids on a Saturday evening. It was like being in Italy. Food was wonderful: burrata, osso buco, and pasta were all excellent. Service was good and they paid attention to the kids (13 & 11). Would go again without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing and authenticCosmomamaDined on 5/29/2014This family-run Italian restaurant has a wonderful, cozy ambience and stellar dishes. It is family-run, but has a romantic vibe. Very grownup; charming and personable. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old schoolKirkVIPDined on 5/27/2014Two Italian gents serve the most authentic, delicious homemade food in a no-pretense ambiance. It's cramped, which means you'll talk with other diners. Street life walks by as you sigh with delight at the flavors of this amazing food.Special Features:
- Down to earth italian CuisineekzooksVIPDined on 5/20/2014If you want great food and to be greeted and treated like you are one of the family, this is the place for you. Very unassuming and you have to climb a spiral staircase to get to the upstairs dining room but the wait service is excellent and food prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- Good and badTimmysmomDined on 5/17/2014Real Italians; tiny tiny dining room, delicious tomato cheese appetizer...dry bread, tasteless, fatty, osso bucco and soggy tirasamu. Would go back for a drink and appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caffe Macaronirsmd2002Dined on 5/13/2014Within walking distance of San Francisco Financial district, this street corner restaurant is delightful. Diners in our party totally enjoyed the evening. We came directly from work and were able to find seating at the few small tables inside. By evening's end many tables were set up and filled on the sidewalk outside as well. The food was stellar. We enjoyed seafood entrees including salmon, ling cod, and mussels with an outstanding Italian flair. Wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Overall, it's an excellent place to eat and is quite affordable at least by San Francisco standards. 5 stars.Special Features:
- HetzleDined on 5/9/2014Service is super friendly, outside seating is noisy but it's on a busy street do that's to be expected. Food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemPaulbdocDined on 5/2/2014Wonderful food, great ambiance, exceptional staff. Would come back again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingMEGANBSDDined on 3/29/2014Caffe Macaroni is an excellent choice for an intimate date night. The restaurant is very small (only 5 or 6 tables downstairs); there is additional seating upstairs. The food was very good (not the best I've ever had), but everything was well-cooked and really tasty. Our waiter was very friendly. The best part was the specials, which consisted of a list that seemed as long as the regular menu. It was nice to see so many added dishes, which made it seem more fresh (like they just made up dishes based on whatever came in from the market that day). The only complaint about this is that there were too many great sounding specials to remember, so having them written down somewhere might have been nice. The desserts were excellent as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood GemluvthebayDined on 3/25/2014we recently took a trip to the bay and we ate in Chinatown, North Beach, did Dim sum, you name it we ate at a different restaurant every night and would consult with our concierge and my co-workers on the hottest spots to take the kids. On our last night we found a quant little restaurant in North Beach that had a 5 star rating on Yelp and rave reviews from all that had posted reviews and decided to give it a try. We were completely blown away. It's tiny but the food was amazing and the staff was incredible. This little gem turned out to be our favorite on our trip and one of our favorite restaurants of all time. We will make a point of going to this place every time we are in the bay. Get a reservation, only seats about 20 ppl total.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of ItalyitalianissimoDined on 3/13/2014Caffe Macaroni is a true taste and feel of Italy. The owner and waiters are native to Italy, therefore the food is authentic and the vibe is truly Italian! Great Neopolitan seafood options, gourmet salads and pasta cooked to perfection. The garlic and vino are sure to please the senses. You must try the brioche con nutella for dessert! Truly an Italianissimo find in between San Francisco's North Beach and Financial District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GinnyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/20145 tables inside, 5 out. Mario makes you feel like you are in Naples! A place you can go eat alone. 5 tables on sidewalk. Lots of fish! Loved it!! Thank you Mario!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceEat3VIPDined on 2/14/2014No hostess, worst service I have experienced in 10 years living here. Waiter did not give us water. Took over 30 min before he took our order.
- get new waiters, or at least moreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014The charm wears off quickly. The waiters here, especially if you sit upstairs, play the character really well. they speak italian to each other because they are italian, and gesticulate alot, etc. However, they are completely disorganized and overwhelmed if there are more than 2 parties seated at any given time. order: it took 20 minutes after being seated for them to even acknowledge us... no water, no bread wine: after ordering it took another 20 minutes for us to get our bottle of wine (even though we were sitting right next to the buffet with the wine bottles and glasses). After reminding him for the third time, he plopped a bottle down on the table with two glasses and walked off to help somebody else WITHOUT OPENING IT! food was good