Caffe e Vino
112 Dekalb Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11201Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Caffe e Vino
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.caffeevino.com/
- Phone: (718) 855-6222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 10:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Gambino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Caffe e Vino
Caffe e Vino is hidden treasure located in the upcoming neighborhood of Fort Greene just a few steps away from BAM. Executive Chef, Giuseppe Gambino creates northern Italian cuisine with pastas made on premises, fresh meats, fish and seasonal organic ingredients with a modern twist. Pastry Chef, Elez Bucaj presents interesting selections of homemade Italian dessert such as ricotta cheese cake and panacotta. Daily fresh pasta and dessert takes center stage on the basic Italian menu of Caffe e Vino.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Caffe e Vino - Best Restaurants in Fort Greene ›
Caffe e Vino reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (26)romantic (9)good for groups (8)special occasion (7)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very good rustic.engprofVIPDined on 11/15/2014Surprisingly good rustic Italian food. Very careful preparation of fairly familiar dishes. High quality all the way throuigh the meal. We shared a salad, a pasta dish (excellent canneloni), and had two excellent main courses (pork tenderloin and the fish of the day). Good, modestly priced wine selection. The place is charming in a very low-key rustic way. Altogether surprisingly good.Special Features:
- Abrupt and unplesantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014The servers were unnecessarily abrupt, as if they were instructed to interrupt customers conversations. The wine list was wildly over priced and the food, while not bad, didn't make up for everything else it was lacking.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/7/2014Best eating in the BAM area. Informal and charming, with excellent, simple Italian fare
- COZY FRESH ITALIANlizbellaDined on 11/6/2014My husband and I dined at Caffe e Vino prior to a BAM event. The staff is very attentive, the restaurant is cozy and intimate. We shared antipasta, fresh spinach/walnut ravioli i think it had a sage cream sauce, (yum) and the fish special Bronzini with calamari and clams. everything was fresh and flavorful. we even lingered for cappuccino. Easy walking distance to BAMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2014I've been going to this place over the past 5-6 years the food and the owners are nice. Honestly, was SHOCKED to see a 20% tip added to a bill at a VERY SMALL neighborhood Brooklyn restaurant. l doubt I'll return due to this development.Special Features:
- HopelessBrooklynGrannyDined on 11/1/2014We have eaten here often before going to BAM but the quality of the food has steadily deteriorated. Saturday's visit was the last. Both pasta dishes were lukewarm and one was badly overcooked and appeared to have been reheated while the other was undercooked. Plus the fact that the "Cash Only" sign is still on the door and the waitstaff still describes it as a temporary problem, suggesting that they couldn't get it fixed on the weekend (it was Saturday night). But they have not accepted credit cards for months now. Very sorry to say that this cozy place, convenient to the Harvey, is hopeless.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014The food was very good. but the waiter rolled his eyes at the discussion of gluten for friend who had allergies. He rudely kept rushing our group when we said we needed more time to decide about dinner.
- One of the best!FineDineAddictDined on 10/17/2014In my humble opinion, there are only two Italian restaurants that are so good they can easily beat the quality of any other Italian restaurants in both Brooklyn and Manhattan. Those restaurants are: Noodle Pudding in Brooklyn Heights and this one, Caffe e Vino in Fort Greene (near the Brooklyn Academy of Music/BAM: a 5-minute walking distance. Caffe e Vino offers 10% discount to BAM members) Amazing food. Fresh bread and home-made pasta! Love the quality of their service. Excellent wine list. Excellent coffee (finally! A real coffee that one can usually find only in Europe :) -- Dessert: their panna cotta is the best I've ever had. Great ambiance: elegant without being pretentious. A really, really good restaurant. A must visit.Special Features:
- perfect dinner before BAM EventDrBillDined on 10/11/2014We went here before going over the BAM. We let the restaurant staff know we had a curtain to make, and they were completely in tune and cooperative. We were served delicious food promptly, no corners cut and the meal was excellent. From the amazing Pumpkin Soup (perfect for a fall evening) to my pasta carbonara and my wife's grilled salmon, through to the apple tart for desert everything was terrific. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Poor business decisionsJBGNYCVIPDined on 10/2/2014The restaurant took our reservation and then decided to host an after theater party at the same time. This was a cocktail party of about 125 people in a space not fit for more than 60. We were one of the only two tables seated eating dinner, and it was unbearable. The cocktail guests were hovering over our table, pushing into us. And the noise was beyond belief. The restaurant had no business trying to run an event if they were going to accept dinner reservations. I told them as much and was told that the party was booked AFTER the reservations had been accepted. So, why not call us and let us know? We would have gone elsewhere. I will never go back. At the least they should have comped us the meal.
- tip included!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/1/2014Four of us had a very pleasant dinner before the theater. The service was excellent, and the food was very good. We'd eaten here before, and found it a good place for an early dinner before a show. We were very surprised when we got the bill to find that a 20% tip was added to the bill. We were only four people! When we questioned it, they said the computer automatically adds the tip when the bill is over a certain amount. We didn't have a lavish meal, so we were a bit taken aback. Be prepared! The irony is that we are usually generous tippers, but we just didn't like tips to be handled that way in this country, and for a table for four.Special Features:
- First TimeJimfromStateFarmDined on 9/27/2014Having never been in Brooklyn and essentially finding Caffe e Vino on the internet due to its proximity to an event we were attending, we took a leap of faith. We were plesantly surprised by the friendly staff, great food and atmosphere. We were greeted and seated almost immediately and were provided water and bread almost as quickly. The wait staff then came over explained the specials avaialble and took a drink order. Upon returning with our drinks, we were ready to order. We ordered the fennel salad, pumpkin ravioli and homemade cannelloni. Everything was very good, except cheese on cannelloni slighty burnt, but not enough to really take away from the meal. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we coild not stay for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater diningHughBareissDined on 9/24/2014Just a block from BAM a convenient spot for pre-theater dinner. Food was nothing fancy but tasty Italian. A little noisy. Would go again.Special Features:
- Great for BAMOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/17/2014First I'd note I had no problem paying for dinner with a credit card the other night, and never have. We've eaten here a number of times prior to BAM performances, and always find this to be a friendly spot with good food. I'd especially recommend the budino and the malfatti-the kitchen has a great touch with this type of dish.Special Features:
- A great neighborhood find...WayneDined on 9/12/2014We went for the first time before a concert at BAM. The owner and wait staff are very hospitable. The food is interesting -- well-prepared, very tasty, and a bit different from the typical neighborhood italian. The ambiance is rustic and comfortable. Tables not too close together. The price seemed very fair. We liked it enough to make a second reservation before leaving.Special Features:
- Great food, but ...JustVisitingVIPDined on 9/11/2014We dined before a concert at BAM. Food was very good and service was prompt and attentive. I had an espresso which was one of the best I've had at any NYC area restaurant. However, when the bill came, there was a note asking that the tip be left in cash. Then we were informed that there was something wrong with the credit card machine. I am not in the habit of walking around with lots of cash in my pocket and had to go to a cash machine next door. If this restaurant does not want to take credit cards, it should make this explicit on sitting down. It seems unlikely that there is a "problem" with the credit card machine that has lasted this long.
- Great for pre-BAM dinnerBkynbBeeDined on 9/5/2014Found this place on Yelp - we had a show at 8pm at BAM theater that night and wanted to do dinner before. We were happy with everything - service was quick and helpful, food was delish (I had steak, husband had pasta with fish and leeks). Only compliant would be the noise level - but it was crowded so expected in a small place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Host was awesome! After initially being told by a (very nice) waiter that my party of two could not sit at a four top by the window, the host graciously offered it when I asked if we could move from the table we were initially seated at to a two top by the window. And the waiter was very attentive without hovering.Special Features:
- The following 329 reviews are from the Caffe e Vino reviews archive.
- Too much annoyanceGothamDuoVIPDined on 7/24/2014Food always good but after this time not going out of our way ever again to eat here. We tried to pay with a credit card but were told they don’t take credit cards as “a couple of weeks ago we did new wiring and the machine doesn’t work.” Seriously? There was no notice on the door, on the table, on the menus, by the waiters. You think in today’s age where plastic rules, this would be mentioned BEFORE A PERSON ORDERS. If they did, while we wouldn’t have believed them, we would have stayed but ordered appropriately. This experience left us annoyed, irritated, disappointed and feeling taken. I left with $2 in my pocket and my guest had $5. So if you go, ask before you order if they are taking cc's that day.
- Fort Greene ItalianBocuseVIPDined on 7/23/2014Found the restaurant by searching the web for a convenient location for me and friends who work in the area to have dinner. It was a good choice as the food was very good. One caution, the prices on the specials can be significantly more expensive that the entrees on the menu so you should ask the price of the specials you might want before ordering it.
- Bellissimo!MmmFoodVIPDined on 7/22/2014We recently spent a few days in Brooklyn, NY and came across Caffe e Vino one evening. It was quite late when we dined and there was only one other couple in the restaurant. We received first rate service and enjoyed a wonderful meal. The complimentary homemade tomato flan that accompanied the bread service was excellent. The arugula, pear, and walnut salad was well executed. We shared the pasta special--homemade ravioli stuffed with beef short ribs. They were sublime! We would highly recommend this restaurant. Be sure to bring cash--they do not seem to take credit cards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating in Brooklynlaura8VIPDined on 6/29/2014Caffe e Vino is easy walking to the Polonsky theater. Food is good, if not great, and prices are reasonable.But watch out for specials and wine; both cost more than you'd expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodeznutsDined on 6/28/2014I was looking for a good place in Fort Greene that would allow reservations and could hold 8 people when I stumbled upon Caffè E Vino. The reviews were great so I decided to try. We had a table in back room which was real nice. Service was awesome and the waitress took care of our table like a pro. Food was great, and a large selection of specials. I recommend giving this place a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureJaxeatsVIPDined on 6/28/2014Warm, friendly staff serving delicious, inspired food. Not run-of-the-mill red sauce Italian by ans stretch of the imagination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-post theatre treasureDonaldVIPDined on 6/22/2014Love dining here before a production at BAM or a play at the Polonsky Shakespeare Center. Just a few blocks from these two and the Mark Morris theater and a hop and a skip from subway stops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014Food was very good. Appetizers are small for the price. Only after a significant pressure was applied we were allowed to sit down at a table of our choice in a completely empty restaurant at 4:15 pm on Sunday afternoon. We got unhappy before we even started eating. We were asked to pay cash when the check arrived as "the credit card mashine was broken". You can read same stories about credit card payments in other reviews. Never again!
- Nice place, good foodamf25Dined on 6/15/2014I enjoyed the ambiance and the food was good but they were out of a lot of things and that was fairly disappointing. The chocolate mousse cake was really good!!Special Features:
- Primo ItalianTheatreGirlVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food is wonderful and the restaurant is an excellent example Of Italian cuisine. Location is fabulous - only a few blocks from BAM theaters and Theatre for a New Audience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and great foodoutstandingVIPDined on 6/6/2014Wonderful selection of regional Italian dishes. Tastefully prepared, friendly service. A great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/30/2014T hey play a game in that their credit card machine is always broken.
- Pre-BAM dinnerbdeacyVIPDined on 5/9/2014Caffe e Vino is a great find for a pre-BAM dinner. It is run by a charming family of great cooks.Special Features:
- Amazingcarodiaz02Dined on 5/3/2014The food was delicious!, small, quiet and beautiful place for a special dinner. Great service, we recommend it 100% we will be coming back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new local hangout....MsStushDined on 4/23/2014This was my second visit in a month. The Sauvignon Blanc is divine, my lamb was amazing (so dam tender) and the apple tart was just tart enough. Perfect venue for a girly catch-up and the waiters are pleasantly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shh. . .authorNYDined on 4/13/2014Yes, Caffe e Vino is good enough to keep to ourselves. Not a word about restaurant-made pasta, sauces, desserts--the works! Unpretentious, attentive, caring service. Shh. . . .Special Features:
- Great food, friendly staffMsStushDined on 4/9/2014Easily the kind of place that you could become a regular. Lovely wine, good food in manageable portions and attentive service. Quiet vibe so great to catch up with friends. Look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Bamn Good!SalliVIPDined on 3/18/2014Great restaurant whether you are headed to BAM or not. Such a treat to have wonderful ambiance, food and service at a welcoming local restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A warm and delicious welcomeheyhillVIPDined on 3/14/2014Felt very at home thanks to lovely service, and the menu had a lot of surprising and interesting options, e.g., spinach soufflé. Not your typical trattoria. I'll definitely go back pre-theatre for BAM.Special Features:
- DeliciousKateDined on 3/14/2014This little restaurant is great. You can walk right by it without noticing that it is there. We tried the antipasto which consisted of smoked mozzarella, prociutto, olives, etc. was generous and so good. The veal ragu with fettucini did not disappoint. The place is charming and the service was attentive. It is very close to BAM and was a great pre-theater choice.Special Features:
- Delicioso!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2014I've enjoyed meals at Café y Vino since its opening. I have yet to be disappointed. I suggest dinner at Café to all of my friends who attend BAM regularly and they have yet to be disappointed. I love this place!Special Features:
- A Place Not to be MissedGothamDuoVIPDined on 3/8/2014This place is a gem. The food is delicious. The grilled sausage appetizer was perfect as was the grilled shrimp appetizer. The pappardelle entre was fresh and cooked to perfection. The servers are polite and accommodating with requests. If you are looking for a place to eat before or after going to a BAM event, this is a must go to restaurant.Special Features: