Caffe Delle Stelle
395 Hayes Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Caffe Delle Stelle
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://caffedellestelle.com/
- Phone: 4152521110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Caffe Delle Stelle
Caffe Delle Stelle is a classic Italian trattoria with comfortable neighborhood charm and destination-caliber cuisine. We use the best available local ingredients, organic meats, and vegetables. Our daily changing menu features soulful classics of Northern Italy, simply and earnestly prepared. Our homemade pastas, breads, and desserts are always fresh and prepared daily. Caffe Delle Stelle is located in the heart of the Hayes Valley neighborhood, within short walking distance of all the major performing arts venues of the Civic Center.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Caffe Delle Stelle reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (8)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not As ExpectedSantaRosaDinerDined on 8/7/2014We chose this restaurant based on its moderately priced menu and proximity to the SFJazz Center. The restaurant requested that patrons allow 90 minutes. There were 3 of us and we each ordered different dishes. My companions had a seafood risotto and wild boar served with a medley of vegetables. I opted for the butternut squash ravioli and seemed to have the best dish of the three. The wild boar entrée looked particularly unappealing as the vegetables were overcooked and the meat looked dried out as if the dish had been kept warm for some time. The risotto was heavy with a tomato-based sauce and also looked like to was reheated vs. "cooked fresh". The wait staff was attentive but not well versed on the wine list. It was not busy.
- Great for before concert dining.MusicLoverDined on 8/5/2014If you want a nice Italian meal that is not expensive, this is the place. We came here before a concert. The service was prompt, the food well prepared and the staff very friendly. We would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location, light, & welcomingcmmdDined on 8/2/2014hadn't been in yrs. wrt noise level, delle may be the one spot in Hayes where regular conversations are still possible. YAY! service is on italy clock. only one guy handling the whole floor. he's lovely. it worked out ok; only a little behind in getting to our seats. but had intended for an after dinner walk before the show. good news is, there's no push to leave so go early, talk, enjoy. salads perfect & summery. house red, works fine. limited menu; different from online publish. butternut ravs tasted a bit like pumpkin pie. do not recommend. love the old school in decor, svc, tableware, etc, however ... most are there on pre-performance basis and it IS HIPSTER-CHIPSTER HAYES VALLEY. a bit of updating must be coming for CDS?
- Always good foodNadyaDined on 7/29/2014I have been going to Caffe delle Stelle since it opened. The food is always excellent and the service is friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Ravioli'sFoodRequired1VIPDined on 7/28/2014My friend had the Roasted butternut squash ravioli and sage-infused oil dish. Way too much olive oil on the dish. I had ordered this on another occasion and felt the same way. Won't order this again, not sure if we'll come back. The bread was wonderful but the dinner salad was nothing to rave about.Special Features:
- Great food; bad air conditioningJonPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful place. Haven't been there in years and was glad it is still good. It was a very hot night and the ac only worked on the other side of the restaurant and they left the main door open, which didn't help. Very nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT GLUTEN FREETerijDined on 7/19/2014We chose this place because of it's location and it said it had gluten free choices. They had one choice and it was awful. Our waitress was very uneducated on what gluten free is. She said it was tasteless because the gluten had been removed so it took the flavor. We tried three other regular meals and they all were odd and tasteless. The bread they brought us prior to our meals was great. Dinner for four $100 and we all left hungry.
- Not a good experienceHomerDined on 7/17/2014This place is in the performing arts district, so I intentionally made a reservation for 8:15pm when the concert goers would be out. However, we arrived early, about 7:15. There were hardly any customers in the place, and there were no tables set up. We had to wait a few minutes for a table. The table water was house-made sparkling water that reeked of chlorine. They had no bottled water at all. The water glasses and wine glasses were hot out of the dishwasher. One of the glasses was also cracked. The wine and beer selections were vary narrow and not good. The menus were dirty. We left without ordering.
- Convenient to Music CenterdruroVIPDined on 7/17/2014food is fair to good. I would not go back just for the food.
- Good and reliableSFfoodieDined on 7/17/2014This restaurant is our regular pre-show place. The staff is friendly and efficient, atmosphere is good especially if you sit at the window . The food is very good. I like the salads and pastas.Special Features:
- Great FindkaybDined on 7/17/2014My husband and I had a delightful dinner here before we saw a show in the Nourse Theater. He loved the seafood rissoto and my filet of sole was very good. I knew nothing about it other than it was close to the theater. Caffe Della Stelle is a little gem that reminded me of some of the neighborhood restaurants we had dinner in when we were in Italy last fall. People look like they are enjoying themselves and come often. It has that kind of feel to it. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having a bad day?JangoDined on 7/16/2014The place was empty, so it was really surprising that the service was so bad! I had a really nice meal there a few weeks ago so this was a real disappointment.
- Way too noisy; terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2014My second course arrived on our little table when I was 1/3 through my salad. They just dumped the extra plate with my Sole Petrae becoming cold; I switched plates when I finished my salad and was left with this crowded table for the reaminder of the meal. Dreadful service.
- No Stars at Delle StellegourmetVIPDined on 7/1/2014The food at Stelle was really mediocre. The service was fair. We ordered the snapper. It was served over polenta a few carrots one or two pieces of broccoli . The snapper tasted weird. One person had the lasagna and it was full of sauce that did not taste like home made. They should charge a few more dollars but make tasty home like food. I liked the decor but they have to work on their food. I went there a year ago and the food was much better. Their home made bread was the best thing. They should stick to pasta but make better sauces.
- DinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014No Problems with our reservation, having to spell out my name, the hostess was able to locate it. The food was good and tasty. We will return.Special Features:
- Good pre-performance optionMttamerVIPDined on 6/19/2014Probably my best experience here. Staff seemed genuinely happy we were there, the food - polenta crepes - was really good, couple glasses of wine, what's not to like. We will be here again before opera, symphony, or something at the Nourse. Perfect location for these venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delle StelleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014The cafe is charming. The food we ordered was very good. The service was attentive. We had a birthday celebration before a concert at the Jazz Center. We did plan to have a leisurely dinner and the cafe allowed us that. We ordered the raviolis, scaloppini and wild boar. Each one on these dishes were excellent along with the freshly made bread with a tomato based spread to top it with. The only draw back for us... we brought in a very special bottle of wine and the corkage was $20.00. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Symphony FindsfoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014Give yourself ninety minutes and you will have a delicious, relaxing dinner before the symphony, opera or ballet. Ask about portion size. I ordered the seafood risotto, which was delicious, but huge. I could easily have shared it!Special Features:
- OK for third choicehotdoggiemDined on 6/12/2014We needed a restaurant before a show and waited too long to make reservations. Dele Stelle was third choice, but at least it was available. The food was OK. Lettuce in the salad a little limp. I had the brown rice risotto, nice (i.e., unusual) to see on a menu. The risotto itself was not bad. The accompanying mussels were lukewarm, one was missing any meat at all, just a shell. Some of the rest of the seafood was pretty good, some was overcooked and rubbery. Service was slow; the server would disappear for long periods. Finally, after requesting our check, we had to wait 15 minutes for it.
- CyngrVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food and service always good. Close to performing arts center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperaFanDined on 6/1/2014Service was very good and everyone was polite and friendly. I ordered the veal scaloppine with mashed potatoes an sautéed vegetables. The veal was served with a caper sauce that was just delicious and the potatoes were very tasty...perfect! I would definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatr Find for Pre-Concert DiningJohnrtVIPDined on 5/29/2014The food was very good and the prices swere reasonable. A great restaurant for pre-symphony/opera/ballet dining. The veal and fish dishes were particularly good. Sewrvice was punctual. A very noce expereince.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient to cultural activitiesshilaVIPDined on 5/19/2014Whereas the food was good and plentiful, it doesn't rate raves. The house wine is abyssmal. Not even able to finish a glass. A sweet place however and good for a duck in and get out. Very close by the War Memorial opera House, Nourse Auditorium, and Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Slow ServiceFullwitDined on 5/19/2014If you can wait to have your order taken and get served, the food is good and at reasonable prices. Definitely not for kids, as the had no dining options for them and were unwilling/unable to create simple versions like plain grilled chicken breast. I went before a show at Davies Symphony Hall and barely made it. The table next to us was going to the same show and left after not having their order taken for 30 minutes.
- dmartinDined on 5/10/2014noise level was way above ability to carry on conversation, food was ok not special. sat next to window and sun in eyes whole meal -- terrible. was 6 pm reservation pre concert, doubt will go back
- A nice place close to the SymphonyLarryDined on 5/9/2014A nice place close to Davies Symphony Hall. The food was good but not spectacular. The service was great. We made it to the Symphony on time.Special Features:
- Don't Bother!LoganVIPDined on 5/8/2014Burnt soup, over-done pasta, crowded tables, visit only if you're desperate.
- jamieVIPDined on 5/3/2014The veal scallopini was very tender and the vegetables were nice and crisp. Great location prior to SF Symphony, SF Jazz and so much more.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Caffe Delle Stelle reviews archive.
- Good spot for pre-show diningZephyrsHumanVIPDined on 4/16/2014We dined here before a show at SFJazz which started at 7:30. We had a reservation for 6 PM. There was no crowd, but there were a few people inside, and the service was right on. We did not experience that 'we haven't quite gotten into dinner service' mode some places have that early. Service was good, Food was quite nice, wine selection was good, and we had plenty of time to enjoy our meal before heading off to the show. It is a neighborhood kind of place, with a casual atmosphere and very friendly service. We have been here before and it is quite busy later at night. If you get a table by the windows or eat outside the people watching on this corner is quite fun.Special Features:
- Reliable and DeliciousFroggyVIPDined on 4/15/2014I've been coming to this restaurant for decades. The food is reliably tasty, fresh, and always a good deal. I especially like their boar. The service is a bit slow sometimes when it's busy (ie. when they're packed before the symphony, ballet, jazz performance or opera), but normally they're attentive without being fussy. They also don't freak out if we want to eat "family style" and ask for the entrees to be served in the middle of the table to be shared. The wine list is great, too.Special Features:
- good food, with reasonable prices.anonymousVIPDined on 4/12/2014we enjoyed our dinner before the ballet performance.. the waitress was very cordial. we would go back .Special Features:
- Good Food/Good PricesRDB27Dined on 4/12/2014Haven't been here for quite a while, and was pleasantly surprised at the very good food, service, and prices. They have a special going for dinner which includes anything on the appetizers, and main courses menu plus house wine(red or white) for $35. They also have specials nightly. It's not easy to find a restaurant like this so close to the venues near the Civic Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigger not bettermacahDined on 3/31/2014very convenient for Civic Center events but not exceptional for food or ambience. the charm and variety of the old location is missing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My partner and I were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014My partner and I were very disappointed with the food. It all seemed to be reheated, including the pasta. the bread was like cardboard as were the 2 breadsticks. I couldn't eat my food and took it to go and left it outside for anyone whom might be interested. Nothing stands out except mediocrity. We won't go back.
- Pre-Davies ConcertWineCoMomDined on 3/26/2014this is a quick place to get an early evening dinner. The menu is not overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed Delle StelleJudithlhVIPDined on 3/23/2014We hadn't been to Delle Stelle in several years and it is still good. We had dinner following a Sunday matinee performance at the SF Jazz Center. We were early and the restaurant wasn't super busy. My husband had the cinghiale with polenta, delicious and really enough for two. I had ravioli. The sauce was creamier than I imagined but not overwhelming. The best of the evening was the service. Our server was attentive and charming without being intrusive. We had a pleasant, quite and relaxing dinner, and I'm trying to remember why we haven't gone there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Comfort FoodRobbieVIPDined on 3/21/2014This resturant has good Italian comfort food. Speedy service, especially if one going to performance in the area. Don't overlook this gem.Special Features:
- We have been to Caffe DelleSusanLVIPDined on 3/12/2014We have been to Caffe Delle Stella regularly before an event in Civic Center. The food is consistently good and enough variety that all are happy. Wine is also good and the glasses are not overpriced, which is rare. We were seated at a table where we could hear and we appreciate that. We'll definitely return.
- Still a Great Place for DinnerEddieVIPDined on 3/5/2014Great table, excellent waiter, delicious food, good wine and reasonable prices. What else can you ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A comfort corner!doggodVIPDined on 3/3/2014A litle taste of Italy is what awaits at Caffe Delle Stelle. The wait staff is friendly and helpful and the menu provides unique options for everyone. Breads with a tangy dipping sauce start your dining adventure. If you like food that is tasty but uncomplicated, then this is your place. The wild board stew is wonderful, especially on a bed of freshly made polenta. This is one of the few local dining spots where you can hold a conversation and actually hear everyone in your party. Yet, there is a feeling of private dining. It is a great dining spot before symphony, opera or jazz.Special Features: