Caffe Delle Stelle
395 Hayes Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Caffe Delle Stelle
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://caffedellestelle.com/
- Phone: (415) 252-1110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Caffe Delle Stelle
Caffe Delle Stelle is a classic Italian trattoria with comfortable neighborhood charm and destination-caliber cuisine. We use the best available local ingredients, organic meats, and vegetables. Our daily changing menu features soulful classics of Northern Italy, simply and earnestly prepared. Our homemade pastas, breads, and desserts are always fresh and prepared daily. Caffe Delle Stelle is located in the heart of the Hayes Valley neighborhood, within short walking distance of all the major performing arts venues of the Civic Center.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Caffe Delle Stelle reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (7)special occasion (6)romantic (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Marvelous pre-Opera dinner.BarbE43Dined on 11/21/2014We arrived at 5:00 PM and were seated immediately. The staff were aware of our request to be finished in time for the pre-Opera lecture at 6:30, and they were spit-spot on it. The food was all delicious, with the high point of our four entrees being from the specials of the day: white snapper over a bed of mixed vegetables and soft polenta. Out of this world. Also great were the "Ippolito" which was pesto-crusted sea bass roasted in rice paper with caper lemon sauce. Another remarkable dish from the specials list was porcini mushroom soup, a deeply flavored soup that was perfect for a drizzly evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/18/2014Dinner was very, very tasty. It's been years since I've been there, but now I should be going there more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never on SundaykasacDined on 11/16/2014On the one hand, Sunday was a perfect time to go to one of my favorite places where getting a table is usually challenging. But this Sunday, there was very little going on and the staff was cut to a minimum. .It took a while for our server to acknowledge us, but since she was the only server/greeter with one assistant, it didn't bother us. Our dinners were served appropriately, but they were cold. There was a table of 6 that seemed to be getting the most attention, even if they weren't demanding it. We ordered affragatos for dessert, which evidently had been forgotten and were delivered to us with the ice cream melted. As this is a dessert I customarily order, I know that the hot espresso doesn't melt the ice cream entirely, and ended up drinking it. They apologized and comped us for those desserts, but if I was basing my experience on this one visit, I would probably not go back. Knowing what this restaurant is capable of, I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemRamboDined on 11/15/2014Excellent food! Great pasta. Delicious veal scallopini. Close to Opera.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience at Cafffe Delle StelleynickyDined on 11/14/2014Experience was great. Very convenient for dining before the opera or symphony. This restaurant has class and is a special treat for a special night, and not too expensive. We were seated promptly and attended to in the appropriate manner and timing through the meal. A nice ambiance and delicious food added to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonDonnaVIPDined on 11/12/2014First time visit. We enjoyed the food and the service. The food was different from the usual Italian fare. It still had spagetti, etc. but also some other menu items. We chose from those items. They were very good and well prepared. The service was friendly, helpful and attentive. We hope that more people find this very nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-show spotAredubVIPDined on 11/11/2014Delle Stelle is a nice spot before a show in the Civic Center area. We enjoyed everything we ordered, and the service was great up until the very end. It took about 10 minutes to get our check, and another 10 to pay. Not good when you're trying to make a show. They need more than 1 waitress!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/24/2014An enjoyable dining experience - we liked their mussels and the veal special. Service prompt so there was no problem in getting to the opera in plenty of time. Menu is well priced - significantly less expensive than many of the nearby restaurants with food that is superior to most.
- Eats before the Opera/SymphonyMttamerVIPDined on 10/13/2014This is a very good place for pre-performance supper. Good food and wine paired with friendly and timely service. What's not to like?Special Features:
- Pretty GoodChico4Dined on 10/12/2014We ate here for the first time before attending an evening SF Symphony performance. The food was pretty good. The service was just okay--we didn't understand when we ordered something from the menu that we would not get the regular menu version, but the version of the same named dish featured on the special menu for the day. Also they only had Moretti beer, no other options, which isn't the best Italian beer, so we didn't have any. Nothing special here....
- again and againsymphonyloverDined on 9/17/2014Wonderful .. good food, great Hayes Valley location. .. we have been there again and again. ... and will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying Delle Stelle AgainDaveVIPDined on 9/9/2014We haven't eaten here in several years because the food was becoming very average. We were pleasantly surprised with our dinners. Both the ravioli and the fish risotto were very good. The wines are fairly priced and quite good. Keep up the good work. We'll dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty great pasta!gosmomVIPDined on 9/4/2014Quaint neighborhood spot...we chose because of proximity to Orpheum....quick walk. Pasta was very good...and relatively inexpensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night at the symphonyMontyDined on 9/4/2014We ordered grilled calamari with verde salsa and that was very interesting, tasty. Then we ordered mussels in a gorgonzala sauce. Delicious sauce but they were the smallest mussels I've ever seen, a tiny bite in each. And unfortunately, my friend received a bowl full of many empty shells. The waitress was great and ordered her another bowl but again even in the bowl there were a few empty shells. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before a showbrilldoggyDined on 8/29/2014I used to go here all the time. Decided to go with the group of friends for dinner before seeing a show. We were all pleasantly surprised about how good the food was and we were able to relax eat and get to the show on time. Not many places if you're going to the Orpheum, so this is one we will go back toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not As ExpectedSantaRosaDinerDined on 8/7/2014We chose this restaurant based on its moderately priced menu and proximity to the SFJazz Center. The restaurant requested that patrons allow 90 minutes. There were 3 of us and we each ordered different dishes. My companions had a seafood risotto and wild boar served with a medley of vegetables. I opted for the butternut squash ravioli and seemed to have the best dish of the three. The wild boar entrée looked particularly unappealing as the vegetables were overcooked and the meat looked dried out as if the dish had been kept warm for some time. The risotto was heavy with a tomato-based sauce and also looked like to was reheated vs. "cooked fresh". The wait staff was attentive but not well versed on the wine list. It was not busy.
- Great for before concert dining.MusicLoverDined on 8/5/2014If you want a nice Italian meal that is not expensive, this is the place. We came here before a concert. The service was prompt, the food well prepared and the staff very friendly. We would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location, light, & welcomingcmmdDined on 8/2/2014hadn't been in yrs. wrt noise level, delle may be the one spot in Hayes where regular conversations are still possible. YAY! service is on italy clock. only one guy handling the whole floor. he's lovely. it worked out ok; only a little behind in getting to our seats. but had intended for an after dinner walk before the show. good news is, there's no push to leave so go early, talk, enjoy. salads perfect & summery. house red, works fine. limited menu; different from online publish. butternut ravs tasted a bit like pumpkin pie. do not recommend. love the old school in decor, svc, tableware, etc, however ... most are there on pre-performance basis and it IS HIPSTER-CHIPSTER HAYES VALLEY. a bit of updating must be coming for CDS?
- Always good foodNadyaDined on 7/29/2014I have been going to Caffe delle Stelle since it opened. The food is always excellent and the service is friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Ravioli'sFoodRequired1VIPDined on 7/28/2014My friend had the Roasted butternut squash ravioli and sage-infused oil dish. Way too much olive oil on the dish. I had ordered this on another occasion and felt the same way. Won't order this again, not sure if we'll come back. The bread was wonderful but the dinner salad was nothing to rave about.Special Features:
- The following 79 reviews are from the Caffe Delle Stelle reviews archive.
- Great food; bad air conditioningJonPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful place. Haven't been there in years and was glad it is still good. It was a very hot night and the ac only worked on the other side of the restaurant and they left the main door open, which didn't help. Very nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT GLUTEN FREETerijDined on 7/19/2014We chose this place because of it's location and it said it had gluten free choices. They had one choice and it was awful. Our waitress was very uneducated on what gluten free is. She said it was tasteless because the gluten had been removed so it took the flavor. We tried three other regular meals and they all were odd and tasteless. The bread they brought us prior to our meals was great. Dinner for four $100 and we all left hungry.
- Not a good experienceHomerDined on 7/17/2014This place is in the performing arts district, so I intentionally made a reservation for 8:15pm when the concert goers would be out. However, we arrived early, about 7:15. There were hardly any customers in the place, and there were no tables set up. We had to wait a few minutes for a table. The table water was house-made sparkling water that reeked of chlorine. They had no bottled water at all. The water glasses and wine glasses were hot out of the dishwasher. One of the glasses was also cracked. The wine and beer selections were vary narrow and not good. The menus were dirty. We left without ordering.
- Convenient to Music CenterdruroVIPDined on 7/17/2014food is fair to good. I would not go back just for the food.
- Good and reliableSFfoodieDined on 7/17/2014This restaurant is our regular pre-show place. The staff is friendly and efficient, atmosphere is good especially if you sit at the window . The food is very good. I like the salads and pastas.Special Features:
- Great FindkaybDined on 7/17/2014My husband and I had a delightful dinner here before we saw a show in the Nourse Theater. He loved the seafood rissoto and my filet of sole was very good. I knew nothing about it other than it was close to the theater. Caffe Della Stelle is a little gem that reminded me of some of the neighborhood restaurants we had dinner in when we were in Italy last fall. People look like they are enjoying themselves and come often. It has that kind of feel to it. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having a bad day?JangoDined on 7/16/2014The place was empty, so it was really surprising that the service was so bad! I had a really nice meal there a few weeks ago so this was a real disappointment.
- Way too noisy; terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2014My second course arrived on our little table when I was 1/3 through my salad. They just dumped the extra plate with my Sole Petrae becoming cold; I switched plates when I finished my salad and was left with this crowded table for the reaminder of the meal. Dreadful service.
- No Stars at Delle StellegourmetVIPDined on 7/1/2014The food at Stelle was really mediocre. The service was fair. We ordered the snapper. It was served over polenta a few carrots one or two pieces of broccoli . The snapper tasted weird. One person had the lasagna and it was full of sauce that did not taste like home made. They should charge a few more dollars but make tasty home like food. I liked the decor but they have to work on their food. I went there a year ago and the food was much better. Their home made bread was the best thing. They should stick to pasta but make better sauces.
- DinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014No Problems with our reservation, having to spell out my name, the hostess was able to locate it. The food was good and tasty. We will return.Special Features:
- Good pre-performance optionMttamerVIPDined on 6/19/2014Probably my best experience here. Staff seemed genuinely happy we were there, the food - polenta crepes - was really good, couple glasses of wine, what's not to like. We will be here again before opera, symphony, or something at the Nourse. Perfect location for these venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delle StelleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014The cafe is charming. The food we ordered was very good. The service was attentive. We had a birthday celebration before a concert at the Jazz Center. We did plan to have a leisurely dinner and the cafe allowed us that. We ordered the raviolis, scaloppini and wild boar. Each one on these dishes were excellent along with the freshly made bread with a tomato based spread to top it with. The only draw back for us... we brought in a very special bottle of wine and the corkage was $20.00. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Symphony FindsfoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014Give yourself ninety minutes and you will have a delicious, relaxing dinner before the symphony, opera or ballet. Ask about portion size. I ordered the seafood risotto, which was delicious, but huge. I could easily have shared it!Special Features:
- OK for third choicehotdoggiemVIPDined on 6/12/2014We needed a restaurant before a show and waited too long to make reservations. Dele Stelle was third choice, but at least it was available. The food was OK. Lettuce in the salad a little limp. I had the brown rice risotto, nice (i.e., unusual) to see on a menu. The risotto itself was not bad. The accompanying mussels were lukewarm, one was missing any meat at all, just a shell. Some of the rest of the seafood was pretty good, some was overcooked and rubbery. Service was slow; the server would disappear for long periods. Finally, after requesting our check, we had to wait 15 minutes for it.
- CyngrVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food and service always good. Close to performing arts center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperaFanDined on 6/1/2014Service was very good and everyone was polite and friendly. I ordered the veal scaloppine with mashed potatoes an sautéed vegetables. The veal was served with a caper sauce that was just delicious and the potatoes were very tasty...perfect! I would definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatr Find for Pre-Concert DiningJohnrtVIPDined on 5/29/2014The food was very good and the prices swere reasonable. A great restaurant for pre-symphony/opera/ballet dining. The veal and fish dishes were particularly good. Sewrvice was punctual. A very noce expereince.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient to cultural activitiesshilaVIPDined on 5/19/2014Whereas the food was good and plentiful, it doesn't rate raves. The house wine is abyssmal. Not even able to finish a glass. A sweet place however and good for a duck in and get out. Very close by the War Memorial opera House, Nourse Auditorium, and Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Slow ServiceFullwitDined on 5/19/2014If you can wait to have your order taken and get served, the food is good and at reasonable prices. Definitely not for kids, as the had no dining options for them and were unwilling/unable to create simple versions like plain grilled chicken breast. I went before a show at Davies Symphony Hall and barely made it. The table next to us was going to the same show and left after not having their order taken for 30 minutes.
- dmartinDined on 5/10/2014noise level was way above ability to carry on conversation, food was ok not special. sat next to window and sun in eyes whole meal -- terrible. was 6 pm reservation pre concert, doubt will go back