120 5th Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thepipagroup.com/
- Phone: 412-391-1226x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Rosendo Paez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private room that sits up to 45 for dining or to 60 for cocktail/ hors d’oeuvres parties. In addition there is a semi private area available for up to 100 or you may book the entire restaurant for up to 200.
- Private Party Contact: Mary McGregor 412-391-1226x
- Special Events: Please visit our website to see weekly lunch specials or other specials at Caffe Amante or any of the restaurants of the PIPA group. http://www.thepipagroup.com/amante.html
A word from Caffe Amante
Caffe Amante is located on the second floor of Fifth Avenue Place, nestled between the Golden Triangle and the Cultural District. Primarily Italian, Caffe Amante offers "Un po di tutto" a little bit of everything. Pastas, fresh seafood, steak, lamb, chicken, home made soups and salads. A private room is available with an interesting view of the Triangle, great for lunch, dinner meetings or rehearsal dinners. Main dining room reservations available online, please call for private functions. Full bar and wine list available. Free parking for guests after 4PM daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Caffe Amante - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Caffe Amante reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
great for lunch (17)scenic view (16)special occasion (15)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (14)romantic (9)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- MeatballsSwenseVIPDined on 9/11/2014Veal meatballs over rigatoni with red sauce. Deeelisheeeus!!!!!!!!!! Doubt there are better in PGH.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe No ParmSwenseVIPDined on 9/3/2014During this visit ventured to try chicken parm and eggplant parm. Both had the excellent homemade marinara sauce. Both also seemed to have been pre-cooked and then microwaved for serving - not good. Stick to basic pasta dishes and you will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeceDined on 8/25/2014THe setting was lovely and several friends go together for lunch. It was quiet so we could catch up with one another. The special was a salmon dish that was delicious. Their chicken salad was incredible. I would highly recommend Cafe Amante.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good meal!MAM17Dined on 8/16/2014Caffe Amante never disappoints. Always a good meal at a reasonable price, with good service in a pleasant atmosphere. Great spot for dining before a show - you get validated parking and you'll be just a block or two from the theaters. Great start to a great evening.Special Features:
- Always a good dealCathyLDined on 8/15/2014Had lunch there last week - everything was good - my pasta came out not real warm - but was heated up and it worked out. Waitress was good but we had to wait a little for our check and had to dash out - otherwise - always a good choice for lunch. You pay at least $9-10 in food court; why not go in and sit down and relax and have a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amor for AmantaSwenseVIPDined on 8/14/2014Excellent yet simple Italian cuisine. Portions that easily could feed two. Family atmosphere and priced for all. A great find!!!Special Features:
- Great Value in DowntownJamanDined on 8/11/2014Really much better than expected in terms of food quality and price. Good location just off of Market Square. Worth trying for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amor AmanteSwenseVIPDined on 8/6/2014Quiet diamond in the big city. A gateway restaurant, with a nice menu priced for everyone. I would eat here every day if I was on some sort of pasta diet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Business LunchKellyDined on 8/4/2014Cafe Amante is the perfect spot for a business lunch. Great food and atmosphere, yet quiet enough to hear the people across the table.Special Features:
- Caffe and then SomeSwenseVIPDined on 7/31/2014What a great restaurant. The service was spot on. The food was delicious - I had the special of the day which was veal meat balls over rigatoni in a simple red sauce. It was excellent and enough for 2 people really. And the prices are fitting for most budgets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Can Hear Each Other TalkingPooka780Dined on 7/18/2014I like this restaurant to meet friends for lunch. It is quiet and you can hear each other talk. I do not like the loud, chaotic atmosphere of a lot of new restaurants. Food is great and it is a good value for the money.Special Features:
- Great placeTheatergoerDined on 7/12/2014Food and service were excellent.Price was very reasonable.Convienient to TheatersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointJerry31Dined on 6/28/2014This was my daughter and my second time here and this time we brought Mom. The food was extremely good. We had the farlanese, alfredo, and crabcake. I'm not a pro on crabcake but my wife and I liked it. The farlanese was really good as was the alfredo. We had tiramisu for dessert and the women raved. The next time we eat downtown it will likely be here. Validated parking anywhere in the city is a plus!Special Features:
- Best kept secretSelectiveDined on 6/26/2014I've dined here a number of times however, most recently realized that I could park there, have dinner, make it to the theater in plenty of time and have my parking covered. The service is good, the food delicious and reasonable. Also, you're far enough from the theater that it doesn't take forever to get out of a garage, but close enough that you're not hiking across town to your car. We've also brought people there from out of town for dinner as well and they handle 6+ people as well as they handle 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown SecretsunshineDined on 6/21/2014This is a great little Downtown find. Close to the cultural district. Food is very good. Service is exceptional every time. This is my third visit and definitely will not be my last. It's quiet which is what I look for in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caffee AmanteKterryDined on 6/20/2014Hidden on the 2nd floor of 5th Avenue Place, Caffe Amante has great food at reasonable prices and is a good bet before any downtown event, such as concert, theater, etc. The service is friendly, efficient and attentive. We (four of us) had a lovely window table with a view of the hub of downtown Pittsburgh. Although this restaurant is a block further away from the center of the Cultural District, parking is validated (in the same building) and the quality of our meals was comparable to any of the newer, trendy eating places. We all had a different seafood dish and they were all excellent. The salad was crisp, the wine, mellow and the salmon, perfectly done. I would highly recommend Caffe Amante to anyone.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised.PghdinerDined on 6/18/2014Hadn't been there before. I was happy I made the choice! Service was pleasant and it was quiet there. Not like even the nicer restaurants closer to the theaters. They are always so noisy and it feels like they are rushing you. They got us in and out before the show but we didn't feel hurried. And the food was great! Well priced too. Try the crab cocktail appetizer. Really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show dinnerNancy195Dined on 6/13/2014I had never been to Caffe Amante so I was pleased to find it on Open Table and to be able to get a Friday 6 pm reservation for dinner for four before a show. We were seated immediately and the service and meals were very good. The prices were reasonable and the portions were just right. No doggie bags needed! The atmosphere was pleasant with lots of window seating and a casual elegant decor. Free parking was also a plus. All in all, we all agreed that it was a nice dining experience and I'm sure we will return again.
- Good pre-show dinnerlisssaDined on 6/3/2014Caffe Amante was reasonably priced. The service was very good. Although we both had salads, everything turned out well.
- Twice attendance in one wekendeatoutoftenDined on 5/24/2014We were seeing a show on Friday and ate at Avanit's and were so impressed that we decided to eat there on Saturday when seeing another show in Pittsburgh. We told the waiter that we were seeing shows and were offered lightning service both times. The food, especially the spots, was beautifully presented and tasty. The prices were moderate for a Pittsburgh restaurant. A great plus was the offer of a ticket that paid for our parking in the same building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 259 reviews are from the Caffe Amante reviews archive.
- Great traditional foodtheaterdinerDined on 5/22/2014Good food....good ingredients. Our waitress was wonderful. Food was great. Very reasonable cost.Special Features:
- UnprofessionalSusanVIPDined on 5/21/2014We chose this restaurant for my husband's post retirement reception dinner and our son's 10th wedding anniversary. When we arrived at 7:35 for an 8:00 dinner reservation, we said that we came a little early so we could have a drink in their bar. We were told that we would have to be seated now because they close at 8:00. When I asked if the bar was still open, the host said, "Yes, but as I said, they are preparing to close at 8:00." The host was also our waiter who gave us menus and took our drink order. When he came back several minutes later with the drinks, he asked if we could place our order now. The experience was unprofessional at best and left us feeling like an annoyance and an interruption of the closing process.Special Features:
- Wonderful food for theater night.jtownjohnDined on 5/16/2014A reliable restaurant with great food, reasonably priced wines, and comfortable dining. Service is friendly, fast,and efficient.Special Features:
- Caffe Amante - Dinner & a Show!earlsmbDined on 5/9/2014We recently went to Caffe Amante to celebrate my nephew's graduation from the Pitt Law School. There were so many reasons to love this place. Parking was convenient and validated by the restaurant. (Especially great, since my dad doesn't get around well and we were able to park close to the elevator and have a short walk to the restaurant.) The food and wine were excellent! On top of this, though, our waiter (think his name was Robert) was extremely helpful and, best of all, was very entertaining! We loved every minute of our evening! The salmon special was wonderful! The shrimp bisque was terrific! The chicken dishes and salads were very good, too. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden gemSheriluvsfoodDined on 5/3/2014Our party of 6 was welcomed warmly and we were seated quickly. They sat us at a window, which gave a great view of downtown Pittsburgh. It was neither crowded nor overly busy. The server made great wine and food recommendations and made sure our water glasses were always full (important to us since we were hydrating before a marathon). We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Old-School PlaceMamaRamDined on 5/2/2014Caffe Amante is not the place for trendy cuisine. This is an old-school Pittsburgh style Italian restaurant, but it fills that niche very well. Our waitress was friendly and efficient, our meal was perfectly paced, the food was delicious and everything was served piping hot and the prices are very reasonable. This is a great find for pre-theater/symphony - we were finished in plenty of time even though the dining room was almost full. Had we known, we would have parked there too because they validate parking. If you are looking for the hottest new restaurant, this is not your place. If you want a traditional, delicious meal, try this place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caffe Amante ReviewJHCJRReviewDined on 4/23/2014Always good food with very good service. A Pittsburgh tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good spot closeRonnieVIPDined on 4/11/2014This is a good spot close to the Cultural District that a lot of people tend to overlook. It is on the second floor of an office building retail area, so some folks may not even know it exists. They have good and very reasonable pasta dishes and seafood specialties. Good fried zucchini, too. Service was a little sluggish with a rather unusual waiter, but good overall.Special Features:
- Took a project consultantShortieIIDined on 4/8/2014Took a project consultant out to lunch as his engagement was ending. He travels for business so he has had many dining experiences. He said the lunch was great and the tiramisu was perfect. I had eggplant parmigiana and it had the right crispiness with a marina sauce that had the perfect comination of tart and sweetness. The noise level was perfect, not too loud and we didn't have to whisper for fear that everyone could hear our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food served rightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/5/2014Very good food served right with a staff that treats you like you are a VIPSpecial Features:
- Dinner before a showOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2014Good traditional Italian dishes, nicely prepared. Easy access to Cultural district performance venues. Free parking even if you attend a show and return late. Excellent service that is willing to get you out in time to make a show. Very reasonable prices. Overall, an excellent choice for dinner before an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and valueFrequentDinerDined on 3/28/2014We return often because it's a great choice for before theatre events. Food is always terrific, service excellent and quiet for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-concert LocationConcertgoerPSODined on 3/28/2014A shirt walk from Heinz Hall or Benedum. Service is prompt but not rushed. Waiter asked if we were attending a show or had time considerations. Very reasonably priced. Nice selection on a menu that is not overwhelming. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu choicesInfrequentDinerDined on 3/26/2014I have eaten at this restaurant a few times and enjoyed the food. I was asked for a recommendation for lunch with a work group from out of town and did not hesitate. Menu was extensive enough to satisfy all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerDaysailerDined on 3/24/2014We had a party of four that went to Caffe Amante on Monday to celebrate the 85th birthday of my friend's mother. I had asked in my online reservation if they could provide a small cake. About a half hour before, the hostess called to say that they did not have small cakes, and I said that it was okay. A minute later she called back, and said that she was going to go to a local bakery for a cake. When we arrived, there was a small vase of tulips that they provided as a birthday gift. We enjoyed a very nice meal with great service. At the end of the meal they brought out a decorated birthday cake complete with her name. We regularly go to Caffe Amante before going to Heinz Hall and always have excellent service, but this was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cultural district findPandthegirlsDined on 3/24/2014I love Caffe Amante for dinner before concerts...the parking garage is easy to get into from the Northside of town, it's free, and the food is good and reasonable. Can hardly get Virginia Spots anywhere else...and they are good here! House salad and sides were very good and the chocolate ( if it's not chocolate, it's not dessert), dessert is to die for!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Food; atmosphere? Not so..kaitb1103Dined on 3/21/2014First, I am the biggest fan of Caffe Amante's food. It is absolutely amazing! Their salmon is so tender; their calamari is delicious! However, the only thing I do not care for is their atmosphere. I realize they're a hidden away gem in Pittsburgh; no one uses their restaurant except for local business men and women and Highmark I'm assuming. Whenever I've gone it's nearly empty; even at 5pm at night on a friday. Even though they have terrific food, I think their decor needs an update. The Valances on the windows are something my grandmother would have. The carpet needs ripped out & replaced with something more updated or hardwood/fake wood floors. The chairs are banquet chairs with no covers that desperately need an overhaul as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I travel to Pittsburgh aboutGatorgibDined on 3/17/2014I travel to Pittsburgh about once year. I always make it a point to have dinner one night at Cafe Amante. Food is very good, atmosphere is quiet so I can interact with my team, and the service is good. Menu is limited in number but the everything tastes great and is certainly of adequate proportion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Good valuePopsDined on 3/15/2014The decor is a little dated and servcie is fair at best (although friendly). However, the food was very good and not expensive. If you're looking for low key, good meal, then I recommend it. But, I wouldn't expect great service or consider it a special occassion place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findbeachluverDined on 3/15/2014Caffe Amante is a great place for good food at reasonable prices!Special Features: