295 S. Pennsylvania Ave.
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafebarcolorado.com/
- Phone: 3033620227
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am-2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jesse Albertini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Contact owner with requests/questions.
- Private Party Contact: Dane Huguley 3033620227
A word from cafebar
Here at cafe|bar our goal is to provide exceptional hospitality and creative cuisine in an affordable fashion. cafe|bar, designed by Owner Dane Huguley, whose vision was to create an atmosphere that was modern but comfortable, making guests feel as though they are dining in an urban upscale restaurant with a residential charm. Our focus is to be a community restaurant; we are 100% wind powered, recycle our fryer oil, utilizing composting programs and energy efficient equipment. cafe|bar cuisine is prepared by chef Eric Rivera; where he is combining classic and new American dishes while keeping them unique and affordable. In addition, we have a unique yet sophisticated wine and spirits list to accompany our cuisine. We strive to be involved and give back to our community in any way shape or form and promise to deliver an experience desired time and time again.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
cafebar reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (42)neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (38)great for brunch (16)romantic (16)special occasion (12)hot spot (12)good for groups (11)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- hit or miss, apparentlyjjt1VIPDined on 10/18/2014after having a GREAT brunch here a couple of weeks ago, we came back for more. not only was the food very disappointing (the items they actually had available, anyway), our server was not exactly pleasant-- until the very end, when presenting the bill. upon review, we weren't even charged correctly. unfortunately, we will think twice about making this a regular spot.
- Another great meal!FongDined on 10/17/2014When we arrived at 8:15 on Saturday night, we were seated immediately. How refreshing not to wait! Our server was personable and prompt. Our party of four were all pleased with our meals.The menu is limited but we all found something to our liking. I had the root vegetable salad, which was excellent. The other three all had burgers, which they loved. I had the gnocchi, which was a perfectly prepared vegetarian entree with a savory sauce containing sun dried tomatoes and several ingredients I don't recall. It was delicious. We also had 2 bottles of the house pinot noir, which was delicious and a bargain! It was nice not to be ridiculously overcharged for wine. All in all, we had a great time and a great meal. The only knock is the parking.Special Features:
- Ex. meal and ex. serviceVerygoodbutDined on 10/11/2014although the menu is very small, our table of 4 each found something he/she wanted and each loved his/her meal. Service was attentive but unobtrusive. Because of the layout, the restaurant is quieter than expected - a welcome change of pace for Denver restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef not doing wellOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Used to go all the time a few months ago, I asked the server how the restaurant was doing and she was skiddish in answering but did tell us about the new chef. She said she was skeptical and I can see why. The menu is no longer impressive, it looks as if they are making the meals as cheaply as possible to appear fancy. Really is too bad, the quality of the food has gone way down. But service was kind, a little slow but kind. Cool outdoor patio if you are looking for appetizers and drinks but not really a great dinner place.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Diamond!Stephen5280VIPDined on 10/1/2014Can't believe it took us this long to find this place. Charming yet hip; great, fresh, inventive food; and sustainably run (wind power, recycled oils). The menu changes seasonally and frequently; right now, the Pumpkin Soup (come on - it IS fall!) is a winner, and it's not the overly sweet, creamy type you've come to expect; this has some "bite" to it. The Gnocchi is the best I've had in Denver in a while: perfect consistency of slightly browned exterior, with a tender center, but not mushy. Paired with seasonal tomatoes and squash - yum! Service is spot-on: timely, inquisitive, and responsive without hovering or interrupting; perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014The food here used to be amazing and the service was always great as well. However, we went a couple of weeks ago and the food was absolutely horrible. Apparently the owners changed and hired all new chefs. BIG mistake. Every person in our group (there were 6 of us) and all of the tables surrounding us were very disappointed. The breakfast burritos were basically all tortilla and the tiny bit of eggs that were in them were something I might expect from a Waffle House- overcooked and no flavor. I got a benedict that also had no flavor and and looked like it had already been chewed up and spit back out on to the plate. Not sure what the new owners are thinking but unfortunately, they have lost our business for good.
- I can't put my finger on it.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/28/2014Did the chef leave? I used to revel at the opportunity to have brunch at cafebar. I had heard rumors of a change, but until I experienced it myself, I was not convinced. It is all true. Something has changed. The food is different. It is not terrible, but it used to be amazing. The blood orange mimosas are gone to. Bummer! The patio is great and the servers are good, but it is not the same place.Special Features:
- Elegant, gorgeous, healthy dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a lovely date night here, enjoying the festive, romantic ambiance on the outdoor patio and savoring some of the most simple, elegant, perfectly prepared dishes we've had in a while. We shared figs poached in sherry, accompanied by green tomatoes and jalepenos that gave a little kick; clams in flavorful broth, and exquisitely crispy on the outside, soft in the inside fish accompanied by freshly sliced fruits and veggies. Every dish was just gorgeous. Loved, loved dinner.Special Features:
- Cafebar has changedIluvfoodVIPDined on 9/14/2014Used to be one of my favorite brunch spots- the food and menu listings GF friendly & interesting, great flavors. The building itself is nicely decorated and has a lovely patio. The brunch menu has changed- small number of food offerings (focus now on drinks),GF friendly items are no longer noted or offered, the items available are not much different than other brunch spots in town. My meal was very small once modified to be GF, over priced, and left me hungry; husband's biscuit was vey hard despite the gravy. Online research found that the kitchen staff has changed, menu on Opentable is from the previous chef,and their website has expired. The waitstaff was attentive. Will not return, better places are out there.Very disappointed and sad.
- Awesome!GirlsWhoBrunchDined on 9/11/2014We have been to Cafebar many times and every time the experience is outstanding. Thanks!!Special Features:
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/1/2014New chef and management. Not the restaurant I have been too in the past
- I love this place!SharonVIPDined on 8/31/2014The bartenders, wait staff, hostess...everyone really makes you feel special. They're super friendly and you can tell they really like working here, which makes dining here a great experience. Awesome food, very creative and tasteful!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedcofoodieDined on 8/29/2014We went here for Restaurant Week. Loved the decor, intimate setting...service was decent although we had to ask for silverware a few times throughout the night...our server was nice and prompt about bringing it. Food was good but not amazing, kind of bland flavors and servings were small. I'm a small person but have a heft appetite and left kind of feeling like I needed a snack. Not sure we'll return just because I'll be worried about being hungry when I leave.Special Features:
- Great for foodies with intolerancespaleofoodieDined on 8/29/2014This was my third time dining at Cafe Bar, and it exceeded my expectations once again. I was a little hesitant since it was a pre fix restaurant week menu because I am gluten Free, grain free, and dairy free. It is usually almost impossible to find something unique and delicious that fits that criteria. However, Cafe Bar was so accommodating to my needs and I was just blown away by the creative flavor combinations of each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great, Service PoorLuSmith24Dined on 8/28/2014We had 6:45pm reservations at CafeBar and were seated promptly outside on the lovely back patio. It was restaurant week, so there was a special menu, which looked great. Our party of 4 waited 15 minutes before our server even greeted our table. 15 minutes after that, our drinks arrived...and the remainder of the evening was similar - slow service, but the food, as usual was delicious. We love CafeBar, but have had multiple experiences with very slow service. The manager did reduce our bill, which was appreciated. If CafeBar can figure out their service/staffing, we will continue to return.Special Features:
- Nice but slowEmmaloohooDined on 8/28/2014Although our food was very good and service was friendly, it seemed a little like they were not prepared for Restaurant Week. Everything was very slow coming, including the soup course, which was the same for everyone in the restaurant. We would have appreciated a little something as an apology for our very long wait-- a bit of comped bread, maybe. Still, it was worth the visit.Special Features:
- Will I go back ?DisappointedDined on 8/27/2014I used to go to Cafe Bar a fair amount for lunch and then I had not been there in awhile and was disappointed at the menu. It used to have great soups and salads and ladies food along with heavier dishes for the really hungry. This time there was only one item that was light which was a wimpy salad. My guest asked for bread and that came when we were finishing our meal. The server seemed as though she could barely get through her shift .... No energy, no smile or greeting other than hello.Special Features:
- Food is outstandingLibsterDined on 8/11/2014The flavors, presentation and uniqueness of the food was incredible. And the service was great. Love CafebarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary ExperienceSputnikDined on 8/10/2014The food is from local sources and businesses, the wine selection is great, the staff are professional and helpful, and the price is right for special or more regular visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid brunchLadyBirdVIPDined on 8/3/201445 minute wait to take our order; food arrived ice cold and raw eggs, so loud you had to scream to talk; at least manager wrote off some of bill. I would NEVER return.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014I had brunch in March 2014 with my friends at Cafebar and it was amazing, that is why I decided to go back last week. I do not know why, but it seemed I was having brunch in a completely different place. The quantity, menu variety and customer service was not what I expected. I am really disappointed because you could really see the difference.
- Pretty AmazingKriss1231Dined on 8/2/2014We started coming here last fall and enjoy the changing menu and tastes. We are always in for a new culinary surprise every time we eat here. The patio is great and really nice the bartender remembers our names when we have our drink before dinner. We eat here about twice a month. This is a restaurant where you go to relax and enjoy the experience. You must not be in a hurry. This is a place you want to savor and not be in a hurry :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes! Please! Thank you, more?!AwakenLoveDined on 7/28/2014Following my dear chef friends from a previous restaurant. This place is amazing! The food is magical, because the people are ;) the energy good, and a sweet outdoor vibe. It's my new favorite. There were six of us, including my brothers and even my four year old niece. We had a lovely time and the food was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014I took a group from work to Cafe Bar for lunch and was shocked at how bad it was. There were too few menu options and 3 out of 6 of us left with stomach upset. It was expensive and lame. Never to return.
- Delightful dinnerSupperTomDined on 7/21/2014Cafe bar is a charming bistro with a lovely patio. The food is top notch and the ambience is excellent. They have a changing menu filled with great appetizers and special cocktails. I had their steak which was chopped and cooked to perfection surrounded by delicious veggies. My lady had the salmon also excellent. I would highly recommend Cafebar for a nice little romantic dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Everyone that waited on us was very friendly and personable.Special Features:
- Delish as alwaysprincessfabDined on 7/13/2014I used to live in Wash Park and went frequently after you opened. Since I moved to the Hale neighborhood, I've neglected cafebar a lot. I shouldn't the food is really solid and inventive. And you pour the best mimosas I've had in a while - not too dark (read: plenty of bubbly)! So bravo. Keep doing what you're doing and I will be back more often!Special Features:
- Eat hereMartinVIPDined on 7/11/2014This place is a total gem. Great service and awesome food. The menu changes almost daily, so we can't tell you what to order. That said, almost everything we've ever had there has been spot-on. Great ingredients, great service, and great execution in the kitchen ale for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reviews Didn't Live Up To RealitySSGTankerDined on 7/5/2014Made reservations based on reviews from Westword and other sites. We arrived and there were no tables available as requested. No worries. Decided to wait at the bar. Waited for almost 30-min to order Sangria. Poorly made. My wife's tasted like a bad wine spritzer. Bartender really pushed to close out bill. The bad part was listening to all the staff hanging out by the bar complaining. Still no one offered to take order for appetizers or explain wait status. We chose to leave. Owner/Manager stopped us in the street and offered to ask party to leave. By that time it was to little to late. We had already paid our tab and were off to another recommended patio for dinner.Special Features:
- Lively BrunchDerbyGirlVIPDined on 6/29/2014Great Sunday brunch. The place was packed and very energetic (could be those bottomless mimosas). Hard to hear inside but totally fun and great food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!SharonVIPDined on 6/29/2014Always GREAT food and service! All three of our entrees were great!Special Features:
- Disappointed, but will visit againKriss1231Dined on 6/29/2014We eat at Café/Bar about 3-4 times per month. We went to Brunch for first time on Sunday. After 1.5 hours of waiting on an order we were comped by the manager and went to Swing Thai across the street. I know this was a kitchen problem. And we will come again because the food is Very Good!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!M27g16Dined on 6/28/2014We loved every minute of our experience and recommend a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoedisappointedVIPDined on 6/27/2014Poor service; less than hot, overlooked average food
- The following 500 reviews are from the cafebar reviews archive.
- Tasty!kfloDined on 6/22/2014Brunch + bottomless blood orange mimosas = outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would Never Go BackBrooks303Dined on 6/20/2014There are no words to describe how bad our experience was. Sincerely, foodies who eat out at least twice a week.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/20/2014Didn't get water until 15 minutes after we arrived, drinks 30 minutes after. Menu is very limited. We tried three of the main four courses, one of which was great. The other two had no flavor.
- disappointedpickyDined on 6/15/2014The reviews were good so we were very disappointed. I had requested a quiet table and we were seated right under a speaker by the bar... NOT quiet. The service (delivery of our food) was exceedingly slow. Our server was very nice and did keep refilling our coffee but didn't seem to recognize that we had been waiting a long time for our brunch and when it did arrive it was not hot and not especially good. Will not be going back or recommending it to anyone.
- not what it used to beBramblesDined on 6/8/2014My boyfriend and I visited CafeBar on a whim and had a delicious brunch. It quickly became one of our favorited places. The menu was new and fresh. There was always something new that intriqued our foodie curiousity. It was the first place we recommended to people when talking about restaurants to try out. We recently brought some out of town guest there. We knew something was changed as soon as we saw the underwhelming menu. They have switched Executive chefs and it wasn't for the better. The menu selection was weak and uninteresting, even more so when we actually got our meals. The food was lacking flavor, our potatoes were undercooked, and my Chicken and Waffles was room temperature at best. Huge disappointment, haven't been backSpecial Features:
- wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014The food and drinks at cafe bar are amazing. Really well thought out dishes and a changing menu every day with seasonal ingredients. However, the acoustics in the front room of the restaurant are pretty terrible and it is really hard to hear over everyone else in the room. Great restaurant for young and energetic people, but due to how loud it was in the restaurant, it is hard for older folks to comfortably dine here.Special Features: