112 W Washington St
Ann Arbor Michigan, MI 48104-1325Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafezola.com/
- Phone: 7347692020x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Daily: 7:00am-4:00pm, egg service ends at 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday: 5:00pm-6:30pm, bar area only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are many locations to park nearby. Metered parking is available on the streets surrounding Cafe Zola. Parking is free on Sundays. The closest public lots are on West Washington between 4th Street and Main Street and on the corner of Ashley and West Washington.
A word from Cafe Zola
Café Zola is an independently owned and operated restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner in downtown Ann Arbor. Our menus are inspired by flavors and recipes borrowed from European and Mediterranean cultures and cuisine, including some Turkish recipes. We are committed to sourcing the freshest and highest quality ingredients available and supporting local businesses, farms, and suppliers. Café Zola’s seasonal menus emphasize organic and local produce, dairy, eggs, poultry, meat and seafood. Our full service bar features artisanal cocktails, happy hour specials, and a rotating wine selection chosen from various small production vineyards throughout the world. We accept reservations for parties of six or more for brunch on Saturday and Sunday. We accept reservations for groups of two or more for dinner and weekday brunch. We are also glad to accommodate large groups and special occasions. If you need a reservation for a large group or special event, please contact us directly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Cafe Zola - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Cafe Zola reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (50)great for brunch (39)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (26)hot spot (26)good for groups (23)great for lunch (19)great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (14)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014service was so bad. sat down for dinner at 9:15 got served appetizer 10:00, served dinner 10:30, brought french fries out first, then waited 10 minutes for 2 entrees then waited for the 3rd…So disappointed.
- Prepare for a crowdLCHPDined on 9/21/2014We arrived at 10:15 on a Sunday morning with a reservation for 8 people. We had downsized to 6 but still had to wait for a solid half hour for a table. We were lucky. There were patrons lined down the block for entry. Despite the crowd and the noise level--very loud--the service and the food were excellent. Everyone enjoyed their meal; I particularly enjoyed the Turkish eggs. We enjoyed a civilized brunch; no attempt was made to speed us through our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not respect reservationEatlantaDined on 9/20/2014While it was a busy game day in Ann Arbor, we made our 9pm reservation weeks in advance but were essentially turned away by the mob at the door. Cafe Zola was running at least 45 minutes behind, highly likely because they gave our table to large numbers of walk-ins earlier. Unfortunately the host/reception was cold and defensive so we'll never go back. There are plenty of alternative restaurants who will want our future business. Speaking of which, LOGAN restaurant, directly across the street, was AMAZING! Modern menu and delightful service. They scrambled to accommodate our group of 8 when Zola didn't care. We'll be regulars at Logan for more amazing tempura, ceviche, housemade pasta and scallops -- and smiles from the staff.
- Great ExperienceAstronginVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had made a reservation far in advance for dinner over University of Michigan's parent weekend. We got caught in horrible traffic trying to get to the restaurant & called to tell them we would be late. They not only honored our reservation but did not make us wait when we finally got there a half hour late. In addition to the exceptional food & service they are truly outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're gonna like this placeMaplewoodNJDined on 9/20/2014Cafe Zola is one of our favorites whenever we are in Ann Arbor. They do things right, whether its breakfast or dinner. Had the Turkish Eggs in the morning and the Branzino at night this past time . . . both were great.Special Features:
- poor planning - horrible managementOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014It was Parent's Weekend. Yes, it was going to be crowded- we were prepared for that. I made reservations, we were seated within 30 minutes of our reservation. Not so bad yet. Service started off good, she took our order promptly. Our wine was brought right away. Apps took a little longer than normal and 90 min later the entrees never arrived, the server disappeared, the apps were never cleared, we were never offered more bread, another drink order, nothing! Clearly a major break down in the kitchen - but just communicate! After the hour and a half, we asked a manager if our food was coming out soon (as we couldn't find our sever anywhere), there was no apology and no explanation. Really? Finally after a two hours we left. Hungry.
- Reservation?OnTheClockDined on 9/14/2014Cafe Zola has been a brunch favorite for many years! However, this visit was the first time we made a reservation for a party of 8. However, it seemed that the reservation time was meaningless and seemed smaller groups & one large group was seated before our reservation time was honored. I would suggest that the restaurant and/or Open Table not offer reservation service if the time is not going to be reasonably honored.Special Features:
- Long waits...MonteRosaDined on 9/7/2014We arrived 5 minutes before our brunch reservation, were told it will be a 10 minutes wait. We were seated 35 minutes later, it was crowded. Wait staff was friendly and breakfast items were good. I had mentioned we were celebrating a birthday on the reservations. The management didn't do anything with that information. Overall not bad, though.Special Features:
- Hidden treasure for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Everyone knows about CZ for brunch but no one thinks of it for dinner. Excellent food choices. Great drinks. Good portions for everyone....not too much for me and my husband never leaves hungry. In the past, my only complaint has been the super slow service. The other night our server (wish I knew her name) was outstanding. Fingers crossed they have improved their service across the board because the whole experience was phenomenal on Friday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, as usualPhoodiepanDined on 9/1/2014This among our favorite place to dine, especially for brunch. The quality is consistently very good - it is an easy decision to go to Zola because of this. The price is reasonable. For brunch I always pick an omelette dish, this time I had the Southwestern Omelette. It came with some fried rosemary potatoes on the side. I like the omelette with a little spice from the chillies and the chorizo. Overall a very satisfying taste, nothing overwhelming or underwhelming, just a good Labor Day brunch. No doubt we will be going back there more times especially since our daughter goes to school in Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteGoBlue87VIPDined on 9/1/2014Always great food, always great coffee, always great service, always very noisy, but always a favorite. Brunch at Zola is always a treat.Special Features:
- The best mimosasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014We went for a girls brunch. The service for the 10 of us was perfect. The food came out fast and our mimosa and coffee glasses were never empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative Menu/Lame ExecutionGenuinePerspectiveDined on 8/25/2014Maybe our expectations were way too high coming in, but our food was terrible. Way, way too salty, dish after dish, overcooked or undercooked. The one exception, my eggs came out sunny and drippy when I ordered over-hard. Our disappointment was not just with our dishes ordered. While we love and encourage creativity, we really had to work our way through the menu to find a dish that did not add that extra ingredient that ruined the idea. Maybe they are trying to hard. We would have been better off with the free waffles and powdered eggs at the hotel.
- Fun Saturday nightNanDavidVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had another fantastic dinner - this time with out of town guests. We did ask the admin who seats diners for a different table and she said it was for someone with a reservation. After I told her that we also had a reservation, she gave us the table that wasn't right in the main traffic area and we were happy. That other table sat empty for nearly an hour -- so our 'better' table must have had a reservation for 8:00 compared to our 7:00. I don't know why restaurants do this. Anyway, we were really happy with our meal and proud to show off Ann Arbor once again! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Food great, service averageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Food was super, the server was extremely polite but not very attentive. The restaurant was not very busy on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mreaterDined on 8/17/2014Pleasant place to have brunch and dinner. Have been there a couple times for brunch. I wouldn't rate the food as great, but good. I have been there for dinner too, and as I recall (it's been a while) the food was a bit better then. Nevertheless, a very pleasant place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Helpful staff, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014I had a reservation for 12 people and when our party grew at the last minute, the staff were willing to find a way to squeeze two more people into our table. I've always enjoyed the food here.Special Features:
- Wonderful!NanDavidVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had a terrific dinner at Cafe Zola last week with our niece and her boyfriend. The food was so delicious that we were able to get our cautious eater to try lots of new things -- even a raw oyster. We had a blast. It was a really fun night!Special Features:
- Disappointing night, usually goodAAENTDined on 8/6/2014I absolutely love Zola's for brunch, and I generally have had good dinner experiences. This time, service was very slow and curt. I don't know if our waitress was serving too many tables or what was going on. It was disappointing, particularly because we were there for a birthday dinner, and it was just stressful. The food was also generally dry and wrongly seasoned. I got the special, and the fish was very overdone, dry, and overseasoned. On the other end, my husband's chicken was bland. We decided to go elsewhere for dessert because the whole experience was just disappointing. I don't know which was worse- the service or the food. I'll be back for brunch, but I'm done with dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A32167Dined on 8/1/2014Cafe Zola is one of the few places to go in Ann Arbor, when you want a good dining experience. The food is interesting, the place is not overly expensive - it is the right place.Special Features:
- Satisfied Overallgolflady123Dined on 7/13/2014This was my first time at Café Zola along with 3 other people. We all enjoyed our menus and the food was appealing and very tasteful. I thought the menu had a lot to offer; food and drinks. The service was good for being in a very busy atmosphere. Everyone was on their toes to make sure your meal was on time and warm.Special Features:
- Accommodationdining4funDined on 7/11/2014We appreciated Cafe Zola's attention detail. The food was great and our waitress (Hannah) lived up to every aspect of great customer service. We weren't sure if they would seat us near a window like I asked on the Open Table website. They did and the table was nestled, warm and comfortable. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Zola is a gemPeterDined on 7/11/2014Continental experience and extraordinary for the MichiganSpecial Features:
- Third time in loveHauberkDined on 7/6/2014I have been to this restaurant thrice. Once for breakfast and once for dinner and this was my third time in which I brought two friends with me and raved about the Salmon Burgers. They were not disappointed. Our service from Jessica was on spot and the tea was delicious. I have nothing bad to say and I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just outstandingLAN62Dined on 6/29/2014I went to Cafe Zola with a group of colleagues. We had a wonderful dining experience. Every dish was wonderful including the salads. The restaurant staff was very accommodating for an extra person who would be joining us late. They immediately sat him, took his order, and his food came with the rest of our meals. Overall, this is a terrific dining experience.Special Features:
- Quiet dinnerJtrooVIPDined on 6/28/2014Had a nice quiet dinner with friends. It was actually pretty empty on a Saturday at 8:30. The food was great though. We had the octupus, crab cakes, and goat cheese apps. We each had salads, the caprese, lyonnaise, and arugala. We also tried the trout special, cavolo nero pasta, and tuna entrees. They were all delicious. The drinks were also delicious and the service was right on.
- Great foodAdamDined on 6/25/2014Great food! Its a good value for the price, try the specials or go for brunch. They generally have good service too. Their drinks are good prices compared to other places in townSpecial Features:
- Great food with amazing service.GuillDined on 6/24/2014Place was packed (restaurant week). Food was great and service top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restuarant weekYummyTiramsuDined on 6/24/2014Sunday was a great night to go to Zola's for Restuarant week. Portions were large and the food, service and all were outstanding. We were so happy with it all we went back on Tuesday and were dissappointed. Portions of some of the same foods were much smaller, and while the service was still outstanding, it just wasn't the same. My friend got the trout this time and the green leafy things in it were NOT good. The Goat Cheese with Fig and Hazelnut was amazing, the Brick Chicken dish Amazing, Kale pesto with Gluten Free pasta amazing. Caprese was good, but salt crystals were a surprise - making me wonder at first why the mozzarella was crunchy! If they made GF crepes we would have stayed for dessert but alas journeyed to what crepe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week HitBrunoDined on 6/23/2014Zolas is always good for dinner. Too many people think of it for breakfast only. But the restaurant week offerings were particularly attractive. Highly recommend for those planning ahead to January.Special Features:
- Great new salad in town - LyonaisePeterDined on 6/23/2014There is a dearth of interesting and delicious salads in Ann Arbor Example - no salad nicoiseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chem4lifeDined on 6/23/2014The food was all good but it wasn't spectacular and perhaps a little over priced. The service however was pretty horrible. Our server left finished plates on the table after bringing the next course. He only came to take our order and deliver food with no check ins to see how we were doing in between. It took almost twenty minutes after we finished eating for him to come with the bill. For the price, while the food was pretty good, I would have expected better service.
- STARSMOREDined on 6/19/2014For the prices they want to charge, they have to serve much better food than they do... Breakfast sounded so good on paper..Rosemary potatoes..They seemed to be rewarmed in the micro , and were rubbery and lukewarm at that.. not crispy at all.. Bacon, not the thick slices the menu wanted you to believe..Over easy eggs, meant runny almost raw to them, and no taste. Coffee is a very personal taste, so comment on that...But NO ONE should charge 3:50 for a cup..that is nuts... just wrong. It is not special in any way.. I will not spend that kind of money for un inspired food. Sorry...
- EaturfoodVIPDined on 6/8/2014I used to enjoy Café Zola, but the last three attempts there have been disappointing. On the last occasion, I had a reservation for 12 people. When we arrived on time, we were told that our table was not ready, and it was uncertain how long our wait would be. We were told, at least, 15 minutes. There is nowhere for a party of 12 to wait, especially in the summer when there are tables outside. We went down the street to another restaurant. The staff acted incredulous that we did not want to wait. On two other recent occasions, the service was slow and very inattentive. The food was unremarkable. It is almost always noisy. I won't be returning.
- The following 13 reviews are from the Cafe Zola reviews archive.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/30/2014Food was just ok, a little boring and did not justify the price paid. Excellent service would have made up for some of this but that was not to be- the service was inattentive even though the restaurant was almost empty at the time we had dinner.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Wonderful, fresh food! We all cleaned our plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Festive enough, but unpretentious. Menu and food were fine. Cocktails were very good. Server was great--attentive but not hovering. All in all, a good pick for a small group—family or friends—dinner.Special Features:
- Great Mother's Day dinner 2014KatiedidDined on 5/11/2014My appreciation for this gem never seems to diminish. Flavorful, fresh, local food. Oft times crowded, but worth the wait for the quality of the food. If in Ann Arbor, this is what I prefer. Service sometimes not great, but, hey, it is a college town, and the servers are wonderful to deal with. I suspect the kitchen is too small for the volume.Special Features:
- Great dinnerJtrooVIPDined on 5/10/2014Hadn't eaten dinner here in a while. It was actually not that busy when we went on a Saturday night at 8:30 but that made the service better. We had great cocktails with a midnight manhattan and zola Pimm's cup. For apps we had the peppadew peppers with lamb and tuna tartare which were tasty. We had the special for our entree which was a proscuitto wrapped trout and it came with pea shoots which I love. Everything was yummy including dessert, the bread pudding. Glad we came back.
- Nicely suprisedMeggieDined on 5/9/2014We have eaten here for breakfast and enjoyed the new york feel of it with its extensive coffe and tea preperations. But dinner we had not tried. So this was a nice experience. The menu is varried and accomodating to every taste from steaks and burgers to procuto wrapped trout which we had and it was lick your plate wonderful. The pasta made for me Gluten free was rich and flavorful. Everything was great and well will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.