916 Kearny Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafecoppola.com/cafezoetrope
- Phone: 4152911700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Lidia Valledor
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cafe Zoetrope
Named for owner Francis Ford Coppola’s innovative film studio, American Zoetrope, Cafe Zoetrope is located in the majestic Sentinel Building, a San Francisco historic landmark in the heart of North Beach. Cafe Zoetrope is a European-style cafe that serves authentic Italian cuisine as well as international specialties, and features an expansive wine selection, including premium offerings from the award-winning Francis Ford Coppola Winery in Sonoma County. A casual and welcoming setting inside, the cafe walls are decorated with one-of-a-kind mementos spanning Francis’s celebrated film career, while the awnings and heated sidewalks make dining outside enjoyable, even in foggy San Francisco weather.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Cafe Zoetrope - Best Restaurants in North Beach ›
Cafe Zoetrope reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (15)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (7)romantic (7)fit for foodies (5)great for outdoor dining (3)special occasion (2)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointingCarlVIPDined on 10/17/2014We went in with high expectations. (After all, the celebrity owner must have deep pockets and can afford to do things well, right?) The menu is quite limited and the food is meh. When the manager (not the server) brought our entrees we told him that we hadn't yet gotten the salad we ordered. Without hesitation, he comped the salad (thanks!), but not a word from the server. If you like Coppola wine, this is the place to get it. But if you're looking for a good Italian meal, you can do better.Special Features:
- FFC's RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Great history and cool decor, service was amazing, food was good...overall fun experience for a quick trip to SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Culinary experiencetastytimeDined on 10/2/2014A cozy dining experience with a wonderful menu selection. Attentive service in a European style setting. A place to linger and escape into a culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantCarlitoDined on 9/21/2014Very good food, pastas are delicious.Amazing ambient. Wine simply excellent. Service was ok but not much. It was provably just a bad night for the server. Will definitely go back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!BirdlegzVIPDined on 9/16/2014We felt "jettisoned" to Europe, as soon as we walked through the beautiful revolving door. The ambience is out standing. The room is decorated with photos from Coppola's movies and sets, and wines from his vineyard are featured. The 2010 "Director's Cut" Pinot Noir was fantastic. The food we chose was "old style Italian"; delicious gravies, sausage and meatballs. They say Mr. Coppola created this place, so that he had a good place to eat when he was in San Francisco. Two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfullJeremyVMDined on 9/12/2014We had diner on friday 12, 2014. The service was absolutely awfull, the entrees came whereas we were still eating the appetizers.... The waiter barely talked to us.... Worst restaurant ever.
- It was ok.RoadWarriorVIPDined on 9/9/2014It was a quiet night. Didn't have much to watch as I ate alone. Restaurant was empty and they put right next to the only other diners in the place. Soup was wonderful. Chicken dish was ok.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SheenaUnhappydinerDined on 8/14/2014Food was ok. Service was not good. Our waiter brought our food but not once asked us how it was. My friend mentioned he never brought the cracked pepper to the table. Other waiters did to their tables. Never asked if we like something esle to drink like coffee or dessert. We ended up flagging him down and asking for the bill.
- Love Cafe Zoetrope!Like2eatoutDined on 8/6/2014Located in a funky corner building and decorated with memorabilia from Francis Ford Coppola's movies, Café Zoetrope is a real San Francisco gem. Fantastic pizza and spaghetti and meatballs. We drove from LA!Special Features:
- Good place for affordable diningPietjeDined on 8/4/2014Luckely we made a reservation: the place was sold out. The historic background and special enterior created a very romantic scene. I skipped the cocktail and tasted 3 different red wines from the Coppola collection: all of them very good. Then The waiter offered me a free glass of the 2012 Pinot Noir, which was even better! We drank a bottle with our spaghetti/meatbal dish: great and very reasonable price!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate Italian restaurantSbbigalDined on 7/26/2014This was our second visit while in San Francisco for the weekend. We were running the SF half Marathon and wanted pasta the night before. Three of us shared several dishes, Caesar salad, Tortellini, pasta Carbonara, and a pizza. A bottle of Archimedes, which is a Copella wine you can only get from the vinyard, wine club or this restaurant. Great Cab. I highly recommend this restaurant. It is small , make reservations in advance.Special Features:
- Cheek by Jowl DiningDorsetPigletDined on 7/24/2014The food was good (but no better). Service variable. The tables were packed closely together - our neighbours asked to be moved as they had been put too close to a table of three. Enjoyed the wine a lot and it was reasonably priced.Great for relaxed dining - but not for lovers wanting a romantic meal!Special Features:
- Ambiance better than the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Coming from the Napa valley and wine interested, we booked this restaurant. Great ambiance with touches of movie histories and the Inglewood wines available. The food was moderate, pizza to soft.Special Features:
- The best of the bestKappyDined on 7/16/2014quite simply our new favorite restaurant on the planet, anywhere!Special Features:
- North beach noveltyRoamerDined on 7/1/2014Located in a beautiful and historic building. Coppola memorabilia and signature wines. Very very small dining area with not much privacy. Food was pretty good. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Very disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014Several of the entrees were quite disappointing, as was the wine, shockingly. Very disappointed considering how highly recommended the restaurant came.
- Cool to see and eatSamjo1020Dined on 6/24/2014This place is really cool to go to if you're a Coppola fan. The food is great, service a little slow, but it's all good. Very small and I liked that.Special Features:
- The following 50 reviews are from the Cafe Zoetrope reviews archive.
- Lovely DinnerUCBerkeleyGirlDined on 6/17/2014Cafe Zoetrope is such a lovely restaurant. The service was attentive and polite, the food was absolutely delicious, and the ambience and surroundings are beautiful and classy. I would definitely come here again for a nice date.Special Features:
- Great food and wine but.......OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The service not so great. No one greeted us and the host was not very pleasant when we asked for our table. We sat for quite awhile until we asked for menus and drinks. The sad part was they were not even busy to excuse this bad service. Once our waiter came to us he was pleasant and did recommend some great dishes but we had to wave him down the whole time we were there. The host was the worse and the waiters were more interested in hanging out by the bar. I would give this place a second chance, maybe if they were busy we would have received better service. As far as recommending I'm not to sure yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014We went for our moms 60th birthday the food was excellent I had re spaghetti and meatballs portions were plentiful and taste was authentic and fresh! Excellent service thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and pastaTigerVIPDined on 6/6/2014They have the best house wine and spaghetti. Hard to go wrong with this good authentic Italian restaurant. Francis Coppola knows how to gear this place to all audiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Always better than it needs to be. Comfortable, great staff. Just a pleasure to be there. No losers on small, focused menu.Special Features:
- True Bistro DiningLaGourmandeDined on 5/30/2014This is my go-to restaurant for both special occasions and for friends from out-of-town. My boyfriend and I always have our birthday dinners here and visiting friends, whether a couple or a family with kids, always enjoy Cafe Zoetrope when we bring them here. The food is wonderful - hearty, flavorful, and fresh - and that chocolate mousse! The Coppola wine list is, of course, a highlight. The staff is warm and accommodating, too. I love this place.Special Features:
- Good food + good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014The atad feas great. As we walked in I told them I had a reservation, they called me and my date by our names and said " your table is waiting" in fact the table was waiting. When I made the reservation I asked for a flower to be placed on the table and there it was a beautiful white rose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrible service.RenoFoodieDined on 5/16/2014Pizza was great, but the service was almost non-existent. They are taking customers for granted.
- Good Food Fair ServiceCatD2Dined on 4/16/2014My daughter and I had dinner her on Friday, April 18, 2014. Cafe Zoetrope has an intimate and warm feel with the bar as the hub of the restaurant. It might seat 50, maybe less. It seemed that most of the guests were locals. The wine I had was excellent: Frances Ford Coppola Diamond Merlot. The Caesar salad was excellent. The bread was average. We shared a main dish, spinach gnocchi, and it was good, not great. We order two deserts: an apple tart with ice cream and the tiramisu. Both were excellent. The service was fair to poor. The waiter took a break while we were dining. No one asked how our food was. I wouldn't go back because of the service and might recommend the place to a friend with a warning about the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectMartyDined on 4/9/2014Cannot reccommed this place enough - everything was perfect. Best meatballs I ever had. If I lived in SF I would be there all the time. Thank you for a memorable night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greattdgraves2VIPDined on 4/1/2014One of our favorite spots in SF - the food, the building, price and the atmosphere are all great.Special Features:
- Celeb spottingMickeyDined on 3/27/2014Cafe Zoetrope is what I suppose would be called the enoteca for the vineyards of Francis Ford Coppola, whose offices are upstairs and whose presence was at the bar when we were last in. Food is always good- not terribly inventive, but good, with sort of a traditional North Beach Italian flair. Wine pairings are also good, with a focus, naturally enough, on Coppola wines. We are Caesar salad-ed to death in San Francisco, but I must say that Cafe Zoetrope's is very, very good.Special Features:
- Good little group mealCarolCVIPDined on 3/17/2014Convenient to City Lights, this was our go-to place when a bunch of us were hanging out shopping for books. The pizzas and salads were much appreciated--tasty and fresh. Service was very good. The place was almost empty as it was early in the week, but that jus meant more servers working on our order! So good we went back later in the week. On our PLUS list!Special Features:
- Very DisappointingDennisDined on 3/8/2014Cafe Zoetrope is a beautiful space in a wonderful old building. Great design, gorgeous lighting, nice details. Comfortable and stimulating at the same time. Too bad about the service, which is very amateurish -- friendly but incompetent. I clearly asked for a "Picada Tray" to be served first, and it is obviously meant for that purpose for people to share before a main course, but they dumped everything we ordered on the table at once with no ceremony. The bread was not very fresh, and nearly stale. The "Pizza Originale" was quite ordinary, and was not even very hot when served to us. Dessert came without any utensils, promptly followed by inappropriate ones. Not recommended.Special Features:
- Nice North Beach ResturantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014You might think this is place that just caters to tourist, since it is near the heart of North Beach and has the Coppola fame behind it, but it really not a tourist trap. It has good quality Italian food. Its not that expensive, and not all that crowded at least on week nights. Service is good but not pushy . You don't feel like you are being pushed out for the next waiting customer, you can linger over dinner and drinks in other words its like a restaurant in Italy! Its also not too noisy you can actually carry on a conversation which is important if your there to talk and enjoy your company.Special Features:
- A well-kept secret for lunchBillDined on 3/3/2014A well-kept secret for lunch - great food and atmosphere and NOT busy.Special Features:
- this place used to be betterAllijeanDined on 3/1/2014We ordered Sophia Pizza (excellent) and the linguini with clams (good flavor, but the pasta was way TOO undercooked). I don't know how you get al dente pasta wrong when you are an Italian restaurant. I have been here several times and every time the pizzas are great but the pastas are too expensive to not be excellent. We were there for our 10 year anniversary (because we met at this restaurant!). It was an early dinner, so mostly quiet, but the wait staff were all standing around talking a lot right next to our table which felt awkward and took away from the nice ambience... our server was great though. Lastly, bread in the bread basket was mediocre and they charge you $3 for it.
- Found Cafe Zoetrope to beWorldTourerDined on 2/27/2014Found Cafe Zoetrope to be fairly average. Service was decent; not particularly warm or friendly. Food was OK, nothing spectacular. Room was typical bistro type; nothing special. Overall OK, but have found better food/ambiance/service combos elsewhere in the area.
- Excellent wine bar and restaurantNovaGeneDined on 2/20/2014Whenever i'm in San Francisco I make a trip to Cafe Zoetrope. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is excellent for actually being able to have a conversation with your dinner party without yelling, the wine is very good and the service is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Sauce ItalianfdthirdVIPDined on 2/6/2014At the end of a 2 week trip, my wife craved red sauce Italian and she found it. A small cozy cafe in a historic building was just what we needed! Interesting apps, nice wine, and then my wife had spaghetti and meat balls while I had great carbonara. A couple of coffees with Amaretto, and piece of tiramisu ended a nice meal! Nothing fancy but good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco-ItalianJettDined on 2/1/2014Wait staff is very, very accommodating. The design has made the most of the limited space within. The historic building is one of San Francisco's most unique. The food was very good and the desert menu offered some unique and delicious choices. Make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite placesRobertDined on 1/31/2014My sister and I started coming here over ten years ago and finally got our husbands to join us. Located in the North Beach area of San Francisco, it has a charm all its own. There may be more famous italian locations up the street, but this is still our favorite. Don't forget to try the Espresso Martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coppola should stick to the movies.cloudyDined on 1/7/2014This is basically a wine bar featuring Coppola wines, quaint setting, reminisent of Italian enotecas but there doesn't seem to be a real kitchen. It felt like the food was pre-made and reheated, a real disappointment.Special Features: