31 Allegheny Avenue
Towson, MD 21204Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafetroia.com/
- Phone: 4103370133x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - close; Sat & Sun: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef George Batlas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We have 3 separate private dining rooms holding up to 25, 40 and 65 each. Two rooms have private outdoor accommodations for additional space; one has a covered veranda and the other has a partially covered Courtyard and garden area, making it the perfect spot for a wedding, rehearsal dinner or other special occasion. All dining rooms have a Tuscan ambiance. Business events are well attended as guests are excited about dining at Cafe Troia. We have extensive experience working with pharmaceuticals & brokerages for client dinners. We will design a menu to meet your tastes & specifications.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Enoteca dining room can accommodate up to 25 guests for a private seated event. Our Terrazza dining room can host up to 55 guests for a seated dinner and has french doors looking out to a beautiful walled-in garden. The fireplace in this room is a lovely enhancement to both the decor and the atmosphere.
The restaurant's main dining room can accommodate up to 65 guests seated and has a large deck which overlooks the private garden. The entire restaurant is available for private functions as well.
- Private Party Contact: Carol 410-337-0133x
- Special Events: Periodic Wine Dinners are offered which feature either a region of Italy or a guest wine maker. We create a menu to compliment the wine served at each course. This is a great value and learning opportunity for our guests. Reservations are required as seating is limited and the chef must have an idea of attendance in order to custom prepare the evening's special menu.
A word from Cafe Troia
Cafe Troia was established in 1986 by the Troia family, natives of Naples, Italy. When you dine with us, rest assured that you are eating foods that meet a higher standard than the USDA - ours. We have been doing "Farm to Table" for 28 years. Our natural veal is fed a diet with no artificial hormones or antibiotics. It is humanely raised. These same standards apply to our other meats: chicken, beef, lamb and rabbit. When possible, we purchase local produce to endure its freshness. All this is nothing new, this is the way we have operated for 28 years which is why we have such a loyal following.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cafe Troia - Best Restaurants in Towson ›
Cafe Troia reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (25)romantic (20)notable wine list (16)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (10)great for lunch (8)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Only in the movies.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014I went here with my boyfriend and was absolutely wonderful. Granted, the menu was not extensive and the prices were expensive, it was well worth the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMarshaSDined on 10/26/2014We enjoyed a beautiful Sunday evening meal. Especially great were the crabcakes, beet ravioli with sage butter (special), and half-price on bottles of wine. Service superb. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hatetocookDined on 10/14/2014the ravioli special with red beet filling was fantastic. The bread was awful. How hard is it to get good bread these days? Restaurant was almost empty on a Tuesday night.
- Nice PlaceDrewsomeDined on 10/12/2014Good location and beautifully decorated. The food is very good and well prepared, but priced a bit above where it should be for the quality. Sundays they have half priced wine bottles, which can be a very good deal.Special Features:
- ALWAYS EXCELLENT!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Once again, Cafe Troia did not disappoint. Outstanding food, service and ambiance. The menu has numerous options for every palate and the specials are always tempting. Thanks again for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnertimmDined on 10/2/2014Food, service, wine and lemonchelo were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceHridhaDined on 10/1/2014One of the best Italian resturant I have been to, compliments to the Chief one again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedMicheScottVIPDined on 9/27/2014I should preface this with the fact that I can cook, and love to cook at home. So, when we go out to eat, I want food I wouldn't or couldn't cook myself. Cafe Troia left us underwhelmed. We were by far the youngest people in the restaurant, average age was probably in the mid 60s. The menu is very classic Italian. I guess we were hoping for something a little more "foodie" than what was on the menu. Not to say our meal was bad, it was fine. It wasn't anything I couldn't have made at home. I'm pretty sure the pastas were not fresh pasta. The tortellini has a store-bought texture, as did the gnocchi. The sauces were nice, and our grilled calamari was good.
- My dad actually liked itStephDined on 9/22/2014I decided to make reservations this week for my mom's birthday - somewhere Italian and new to her. Every time I've been to Café Troia including this week has been great food and service. The staff is friendly and accommodating, the bartender definitely knows how to make a cocktail (good Manhattans), and the most impressive thing of all was that my parents loved it. Definitely surpassed their expectations, since we weren't in Little Italy as originally planned. A little pricey, but great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014It is always a treat to dine at Cafe Troia. It's been a special occasion restaurant to me and my friends for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TomHDined on 9/19/2014Cafe Troia has become a favorite of ours. Food is outstanding and the service is great and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodDrew4060Dined on 9/17/2014Cafe Troia has been in our backyard since before I can remember yet this is the first time we went there. My expectations were high and I must admit I was extremely pleased. The chef does a great job making dishes with an interesting flair. We had their Calamari Vesuvio, Calamari alla Griglia, mussels as appetizers and a lobster ravioli, clams in a lemon sauce, and a very interesting Braccioli e Gnocchi for entrees. All was very good. The service was friendly, helpful and there when you needed. Bravo!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Very good food, attractive setting, good service, moderate price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family DinnerjkentonDined on 9/10/2014Cafe Troia is a restaurant that I have known about for many years, but just never made it inside. It has been on both sides of Allegheny Road in Towson, and has a wonderful reputation. I had dinner with my girlfriend and her cousin. I had the Salmon and Ravioli in a creamy dill sauce. I remarked that it was probably one of the best meals I could remember. They both had the bracciole with gnocchi and said it was very good. The cannoli were also very good. The wait staff was not "hovering" or overbearing, and that made for a lot of time to chat and enjoy ourselves. What a wonderful experience! A great Italian restaurant in downtown Towson!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My waiter was the worst I have had in any fine dining establishment. I had to go find him twice; when we were waiting to order and while waiting to pay. After I cornered him in the dining room so that I could pay, he still waited on 2 more tables while I stood in the middle of the dining room waiting. Being of Neapolitan heritage, these folks attempt at Neapolitan food was lame. If I had paid $30 for two rather than the $80 it cost me, I might be more forgiving.
- Railroader57VIPDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful ambience, good food, and excellent server! Valet parking is a definite plus in a crowded area and the young man was delightful. Overall dining here was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Troialeetaylor242Dined on 8/14/2014Ate outside on a porch. View was not great, but porch was nice. Service was excellent. Food was good but not great. Good wine list at moderate prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good PlaceFlashDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant is decorated in a calm pleasant decor. The service was very prompt and best of all the dinners were very good. It was restaurant week, so the menu had a special section. I had it all,beet salad, seafood stuffed ravioli and lemon pastry for dessert. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, not greatIntuneECDined on 8/9/2014Most of us ordered from the Restaurant Week menu. Choices were very good, that's what brought us in. Sea bass entree was nice and fresh. Desserts were excellent. But for the 1st course, beet salad had 1 piece of beet, and seafood chowder had little seafood.Special Features:
- Great MealWDCTDined on 7/28/2014Visited on a Monday evening for dinner, a bit quiet in the main dining room, which was expected. We picked a few things off the evening specials and a few off the regular menu and were not disappointed! The Calamari alla Griglia was wonderful - nicely seasoned, lightly grilled. The waiter (very friendly) accommodated our request for a half portion of a pasta & half portion entree - along with a full entree. The pasta (I'm guessing was homemade - wonderful!) and all were fantastic. We've become so tired of the run-of-the-mill "Italian" restuarants with everything drowning in olive oil or seasonings, it was a delight to find such fresh tasting, vibrant, home-made items. Hadn't been to Cafe Troia in a year or so, we'll be back sooner!Special Features:
- Excellent Food in TowsonmikerVIPDined on 7/20/2014Excellent food and great service with lots of gluten free options. A little pricey but worth it for a special occasion and Sunday night is 1/2 price bottled wine.Special Features:
- A Quiet TreasurerkingDined on 7/19/2014Cafe Troia has been around since the 1980s, and because of that, it could be easy to overlook. Don't! Dinner Saturday night was flawless, with every dish from appetizers through desserts worthy of raves. Service was warm and attentive, but never intrusive. The room is softly lit and quiet. The wine list, while modest, has some excellent choices. Two cautions: Dinner on the deck can be noisy (the reason we chose inside), and the parking lot next to the restaurant is a pay lot, even late on a Saturday night (fortunately, we just got a windshield wiper warning).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014SecoDn visit in a month. Overall very enjoyable with good ambience and great service. The veal dish was drowning in gravy and the veal was a bit tough. The crusted snapper did not have much flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply GreatluvdindinDined on 7/16/2014Whenever I am in the Baltimore area, going to Cafe Troia is a must. Love the atmosphere. Love the waiters. LOVE the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2CharmedDined on 7/12/2014After an amazing meal, we had an opportunity to meet and hang with the owners Lisa and Joe. We had drinks and talked for over an hour, they were extrememly personable and friendly. The entire experience was memorable and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I were delighted to come here for the first time. We have eaten at many restuarants in this area and Cafe Troia is definitely the finest. The seafood and the pasta were superb. The waiter was experienced and skilled. We dimes on the back porch and enjoyed the setting. Cafe Troia made our evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 432 reviews are from the Cafe Troia reviews archive.
- Buon Vino, Buon Cibo, Buon Amici!Td24Dined on 6/17/2014As always, Cafe Troia never disappoints. The food and atmosphere are terrific. This is a great place for a family celebration or a quiet special occassion.Special Features:
- Great EveningEatDrinkBeMerryVIPDined on 6/16/2014A weeknight dinner -- the dining room was quiet, food was delicious, and the service outstanding. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes and NoColinVIPDined on 6/16/2014We walked in for a late lunch and were the only people in the restaurant. That was perfectly fine, as Giovanni treated us like special guests. We noticed a sangiovese rose and he was knowledgeable about it, so we tried a bottle of it and were not disappointed. Charcuterie and cheese was perfect for snacking, and our arugla salad with strawberries was fresh, crisp, and delicate. The broth with my wife's mussells was incredible as well. The griled calamarie we had was a relief -- we are always wary of rubber -- but Troia's was a perfect, chicken-like consistency. My beef, which was stuffed with spinach, pine nuts, and cheese, was sort of meatball-ly. The gnocchi's texture was spot on, but its flavor was just ok. Pomodoro was just OK, too.Special Features:
- Help in the kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/7/2014Have been going to Cafe Troia since opening at the original location. Things seemed to change when it moved. Have been there 2 x in the last month and both times the food was substandard. A menu change would help also
- Cafe Troia is back!!FoodrusVIPDined on 6/7/2014It was such a pleasure to try Cafe Troia again after a long absence. The mussels were fabulous and some old favorites were back on the menu. We will be going back much more often as they add new traditional Italian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No one homeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2014Came in 5 min before reservation and waited 10min. Never saw anyone so we left
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Our entrees were very good and a nice size. However, our salads were quite small and were just average. The waiter did not ask if we wanted ground pepper. The bread is terrible. Most diners prefer a warm, crusty bread. The olive oil did not have spices added to it. This would not be on our top list of places to dine.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchTroiaDined on 5/11/2014We celebrated a beautiful Mother's Day Brunch on the deck. The food and service were equally as nice as the weather. We have been to Café Troia on numerous and have yet to be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italy Come to Towsonluv2eatDined on 5/10/2014You'll feel like you are in Little Italy when you visit this charming Cafe. The food was delicious! The atmosphere relaxed yet elegant. But the surprise is in the basement. I don't want to ruin it, so you will have to go to Cafe Troia to catch the action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Evening at TroiajdocbaltDined on 5/10/2014We had dinner at Troia Saturday evening before Mother's Day. We had not visit the restaurant in many years, since before it reorganized and move across Allegheny Avenue. The four of each had a different dish and all of the food was excellent - pasta with clams, shrimp with pasta, salmon ravioli and veal. We also enjoyed our appetizers and dessert. Our waiter was attentive friendly and had a good recommendation on wine. Setting is casual but very nice. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- AccommodatingrascDined on 4/30/2014Our recent visit was as pleasant as expected! The service was excellent and our special request for a certain table was accommodated with a smile. As always, the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Excellent food with reasonable prices! I love the variety in the specials and the depth of the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall GoodGrandayleDined on 4/20/2014Met two friends here for Easter brunch and enjoyed the food very much. The small plate offerings are indeed small but just right before a meal. Two of us had the melon salad platter, my husband had the grilled tuna salad that was perfectly cooked. Service was very friendly but a little lackluster, especially considering the restaurant was not crowded! I had to ask for coffee refills a few times and once our dessert was brought to the DR by the kitchen person, it sat on a tray near the bar waiting for our waiter to return (5 mins or so) to serve it. Thankfully we were enjoying the conversation with our friends. I am looking forward to trying this restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- Early Saturday Night DinnerLivtoeatDined on 4/19/2014Four of us had an early Saturday night dinner. Everyone enjoyed their food. The brascole has become a favorite. The downside was my Branzino fish. It was brought to the table wrapped in parchment the waiter asked if I wanted it unwrapped and deboned. I said yes. When the fish was served it tasted great and there certainly enough of it however presentation left something to be desired. The waiters had a hard time skinning and deboning it. It may have been a tad overcooked and therefore fell apart easily. When we first went there I remember the menu as being very creative. To me it has lost some of that freshness. But the service from our waiter was top notch, the ambiance was good and the food certainly met or exceeded expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.