31 Allegheny Avenue
Towson, MD 21204Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafetroia.com/
- Phone: 4103370133x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - close; Sat & Sun: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef George Batlas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We have 3 separate private dining rooms holding up to 25, 40 and 65 each. Two rooms have private outdoor accommodations for additional space; one has a covered veranda and the other has a partially covered Courtyard and garden area, making it the perfect spot for a wedding, rehearsal dinner or other special occasion. All dining rooms have a Tuscan ambiance. Business events are well attended as guests are excited about dining at Cafe Troia. We have extensive experience working with pharmaceuticals & brokerages for client dinners. We will design a menu to meet your tastes & specifications.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Enoteca dining room can accommodate up to 25 guests for a private seated event. Our Terrazza dining room can host up to 55 guests for a seated dinner and has french doors looking out to a beautiful walled-in garden. The fireplace in this room is a lovely enhancement to both the decor and the atmosphere.
The restaurant's main dining room can accommodate up to 65 guests seated and has a large deck which overlooks the private garden. The entire restaurant is available for private functions as well.
- Private Party Contact: Carol 410-337-0133x
- Special Events: Periodic Wine Dinners are offered which feature either a region of Italy or a guest wine maker. We create a menu to compliment the wine served at each course. This is a great value and learning opportunity for our guests. Reservations are required as seating is limited and the chef must have an idea of attendance in order to custom prepare the evening's special menu.
A word from Cafe Troia
Cafe Troia was established in 1986 by the Troia family, natives of Naples, Italy. When you dine with us, rest assured that you are eating foods that meet a higher standard than the USDA - ours. We have been doing "Farm to Table" for 28 years. Our natural veal is fed a diet with no artificial hormones or antibiotics. It is humanely raised. These same standards apply to our other meats: chicken, beef, lamb and rabbit. When possible, we purchase local produce to endure its freshness. All this is nothing new, this is the way we have operated for 28 years which is why we have such a loyal following.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cafe Troia - Best Restaurants in Towson ›
Cafe Troia reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (30)special occasion (30)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (16)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My waiter was the worst I have had in any fine dining establishment. I had to go find him twice; when we were waiting to order and while waiting to pay. After I cornered him in the dining room so that I could pay, he still waited on 2 more tables while I stood in the middle of the dining room waiting. Being of Neapolitan heritage, these folks attempt at Neapolitan food was lame. If I had paid $30 for two rather than the $80 it cost me, I might be more forgiving.
- Railroader57VIPDined on 8/15/2014Beautiful ambience, good food, and excellent server! Valet parking is a definite plus in a crowded area and the young man was delightful. Overall dining here was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Troialeetaylor242Dined on 8/14/2014Ate outside on a porch. View was not great, but porch was nice. Service was excellent. Food was good but not great. Good wine list at moderate prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good PlaceFlashDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant is decorated in a calm pleasant decor. The service was very prompt and best of all the dinners were very good. It was restaurant week, so the menu had a special section. I had it all,beet salad, seafood stuffed ravioli and lemon pastry for dessert. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, not greatIntuneECDined on 8/9/2014Most of us ordered from the Restaurant Week menu. Choices were very good, that's what brought us in. Sea bass entree was nice and fresh. Desserts were excellent. But for the 1st course, beet salad had 1 piece of beet, and seafood chowder had little seafood.Special Features:
- Great MealWDCTDined on 7/28/2014Visited on a Monday evening for dinner, a bit quiet in the main dining room, which was expected. We picked a few things off the evening specials and a few off the regular menu and were not disappointed! The Calamari alla Griglia was wonderful - nicely seasoned, lightly grilled. The waiter (very friendly) accommodated our request for a half portion of a pasta & half portion entree - along with a full entree. The pasta (I'm guessing was homemade - wonderful!) and all were fantastic. We've become so tired of the run-of-the-mill "Italian" restuarants with everything drowning in olive oil or seasonings, it was a delight to find such fresh tasting, vibrant, home-made items. Hadn't been to Cafe Troia in a year or so, we'll be back sooner!Special Features:
- Excellent Food in TowsonmikerVIPDined on 7/20/2014Excellent food and great service with lots of gluten free options. A little pricey but worth it for a special occasion and Sunday night is 1/2 price bottled wine.Special Features:
- A Quiet TreasurerkingDined on 7/19/2014Cafe Troia has been around since the 1980s, and because of that, it could be easy to overlook. Don't! Dinner Saturday night was flawless, with every dish from appetizers through desserts worthy of raves. Service was warm and attentive, but never intrusive. The room is softly lit and quiet. The wine list, while modest, has some excellent choices. Two cautions: Dinner on the deck can be noisy (the reason we chose inside), and the parking lot next to the restaurant is a pay lot, even late on a Saturday night (fortunately, we just got a windshield wiper warning).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014SecoDn visit in a month. Overall very enjoyable with good ambience and great service. The veal dish was drowning in gravy and the veal was a bit tough. The crusted snapper did not have much flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply GreatluvdindinDined on 7/16/2014Whenever I am in the Baltimore area, going to Cafe Troia is a must. Love the atmosphere. Love the waiters. LOVE the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2CharmedDined on 7/12/2014After an amazing meal, we had an opportunity to meet and hang with the owners Lisa and Joe. We had drinks and talked for over an hour, they were extrememly personable and friendly. The entire experience was memorable and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2014My wife and I were delighted to come here for the first time. We have eaten at many restuarants in this area and Cafe Troia is definitely the finest. The seafood and the pasta were superb. The waiter was experienced and skilled. We dimes on the back porch and enjoyed the setting. Cafe Troia made our evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buon Vino, Buon Cibo, Buon Amici!Td24Dined on 6/17/2014As always, Cafe Troia never disappoints. The food and atmosphere are terrific. This is a great place for a family celebration or a quiet special occassion.Special Features:
- Great EveningEatDrinkBeMerryVIPDined on 6/16/2014A weeknight dinner -- the dining room was quiet, food was delicious, and the service outstanding. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes and NoColinVIPDined on 6/16/2014We walked in for a late lunch and were the only people in the restaurant. That was perfectly fine, as Giovanni treated us like special guests. We noticed a sangiovese rose and he was knowledgeable about it, so we tried a bottle of it and were not disappointed. Charcuterie and cheese was perfect for snacking, and our arugla salad with strawberries was fresh, crisp, and delicate. The broth with my wife's mussells was incredible as well. The griled calamarie we had was a relief -- we are always wary of rubber -- but Troia's was a perfect, chicken-like consistency. My beef, which was stuffed with spinach, pine nuts, and cheese, was sort of meatball-ly. The gnocchi's texture was spot on, but its flavor was just ok. Pomodoro was just OK, too.Special Features:
- Help in the kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Have been going to Cafe Troia since opening at the original location. Things seemed to change when it moved. Have been there 2 x in the last month and both times the food was substandard. A menu change would help also
- Cafe Troia is back!!FoodrusVIPDined on 6/7/2014It was such a pleasure to try Cafe Troia again after a long absence. The mussels were fabulous and some old favorites were back on the menu. We will be going back much more often as they add new traditional Italian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No one homeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2014Came in 5 min before reservation and waited 10min. Never saw anyone so we left
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Our entrees were very good and a nice size. However, our salads were quite small and were just average. The waiter did not ask if we wanted ground pepper. The bread is terrible. Most diners prefer a warm, crusty bread. The olive oil did not have spices added to it. This would not be on our top list of places to dine.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchTroiaDined on 5/11/2014We celebrated a beautiful Mother's Day Brunch on the deck. The food and service were equally as nice as the weather. We have been to Café Troia on numerous and have yet to be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italy Come to Towsonluv2eatDined on 5/10/2014You'll feel like you are in Little Italy when you visit this charming Cafe. The food was delicious! The atmosphere relaxed yet elegant. But the surprise is in the basement. I don't want to ruin it, so you will have to go to Cafe Troia to catch the action.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Evening at TroiajdocbaltDined on 5/10/2014We had dinner at Troia Saturday evening before Mother's Day. We had not visit the restaurant in many years, since before it reorganized and move across Allegheny Avenue. The four of each had a different dish and all of the food was excellent - pasta with clams, shrimp with pasta, salmon ravioli and veal. We also enjoyed our appetizers and dessert. Our waiter was attentive friendly and had a good recommendation on wine. Setting is casual but very nice. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The following 421 reviews are from the Cafe Troia reviews archive.
- AccommodatingrascDined on 4/30/2014Our recent visit was as pleasant as expected! The service was excellent and our special request for a certain table was accommodated with a smile. As always, the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Excellent food with reasonable prices! I love the variety in the specials and the depth of the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall GoodGrandayleDined on 4/20/2014Met two friends here for Easter brunch and enjoyed the food very much. The small plate offerings are indeed small but just right before a meal. Two of us had the melon salad platter, my husband had the grilled tuna salad that was perfectly cooked. Service was very friendly but a little lackluster, especially considering the restaurant was not crowded! I had to ask for coffee refills a few times and once our dessert was brought to the DR by the kitchen person, it sat on a tray near the bar waiting for our waiter to return (5 mins or so) to serve it. Thankfully we were enjoying the conversation with our friends. I am looking forward to trying this restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- Early Saturday Night DinnerLivtoeatDined on 4/19/2014Four of us had an early Saturday night dinner. Everyone enjoyed their food. The brascole has become a favorite. The downside was my Branzino fish. It was brought to the table wrapped in parchment the waiter asked if I wanted it unwrapped and deboned. I said yes. When the fish was served it tasted great and there certainly enough of it however presentation left something to be desired. The waiters had a hard time skinning and deboning it. It may have been a tad overcooked and therefore fell apart easily. When we first went there I remember the menu as being very creative. To me it has lost some of that freshness. But the service from our waiter was top notch, the ambiance was good and the food certainly met or exceeded expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational experience!EricVIPDined on 4/16/2014From the food to the service, this dinner was perfect in every way!Special Features:
- Old ReliableFrancisDined on 4/4/2014Cafe Troia has been providing great food and exceptional service for many years. This is hard to find in a neighborhood setting. For those who hate noisy restaurants, this is a great place to enjoy great dinner conversations with friends or family along with good food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Café Troia continues to beJRYatesVIPDined on 3/29/2014Café Troia continues to be one of my favorite Italian restaurants in Baltimore. We had a party of 6 and everything that we had was excellent and on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprisewineguyDined on 3/14/2014This is a nice, quiet, romantic gem in the heart of downtown Towson. I have lives here for years and had written it off. From start to finish, every aspect of the meal was done with a sense of pride, professionalism, and a confidence in the quality of their kitchen. I will definitely recommend to many friends and visitors.Special Features:
- Yummy, but expensiveTowsoncoupleDined on 3/1/2014Fabulous waiter and hostess, delicious appetizer, salad, and entrees.... crème brulee was divine, too. Ambience was lackluster.....décor and seating feels dated and a bit dull. For the price, I guess I'd prefer a bit more energy and fun people-watching.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinary, yet overpricedcedarcroftDined on 3/1/2014When Troia was across the street, the food was better than average. We were disappointed. The change in chef has not made it better, and it is overpriced by a lot. The bolognese sauce on my pasta was bland and almost gummy because the meat was so mashed. The dish was not worth even half of its $21,00 price. The soup of the day, a vegetable bean, was no better than a canned soup, lacking in flavor and texture.
- comfortable spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2014We can always depend on Cafe Troia to give you a lovely evening of dining. We enjoyed the rockfish and the superb chicken ravioli. The homemade gelato was delicious. Most of all it is such a friendly place from the greeting of the hostess to the attentiveness of our waiter. We shall definiely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure that I will returnMimmoVIPDined on 2/28/2014We were seated in the lower level-heat was broken, so very cold. Appetizer was cold...disappointing for a steamed mussel dish. I got a shrimp dish on special. It was good, but portion was extremely small., and whole wheat pasta was substituted without waiter letting us know. Bread provided was stale. Needless to say, didn't have dessert.
- Freezing cold temperaturesjojoVIPDined on 2/28/2014Freezing cold temperatures made the entire experience ridiculous.
- Skimpy on the portionsDelectableVIPDined on 2/17/2014Although the lunch was good enough, the portions were quite skimpy, The customers would feel more satisfied feeling they were treated generously. Because the place did not have many full tables, the wait staff was overly eager to increase the orders.
- lunch vs dinnerNessFoodDined on 2/17/2014Prices a little on the high side. Try going for lunch instead of dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has gone downhill sinceFelixLutherDined on 2/16/2014Food has gone downhill since our last visit a few months ago. It was good, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014My first time dining at Troia and will definitely not be the last. The food and service were outstanding. I am looking forward to coming back to try many of their other dishes. The veal and lamp chops were cooked to perfection and the portions were amazing.Special Features:
- vday dinnerbmorefoodieDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentine's day. The food was pretty good. We had the crab cake and chicken. My boyfriend has a Cosmo and said it was the worst he's ever had, however my lemon drop was good. Dessert was awesome-brownie with toffee ice cream. Service was slow ans the waiter was blah..not much personality and didn't check on us much. Over all it was nice and I would go back and hopefully get another waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.