4558 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64111Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafetriokc.com/
- Phone: 8167563227x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Friday 11am - 2pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday -Friday 2pm-6pm
DINNER / Full Menu Service: Monday - Thursday: 5pm-10pm, Friday & Saturday: 5pm -11pm Sunday: 4pm-9pm.
Cocktails (Lounge & Deck): Monday - Friday: 2:00pm - Midnight, Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight
Kitchen Hours may Vary
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Unspecified, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Yoder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Piano & Vocals. Blues & Jazz. Evenings: Tuesday through Saturday.
- Special Events: Cafe Trio hosts numerous special events year round including wine diners, art openings, costume parties and special live music engagements. Please sign up to receive emails about these events by visiting our website at cafetriokc.com.
- Cross Street: E. 45th Street
- Public Transit: On the actual Main Street route, including the Max. Only a few feet from two stops.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private Lot, Street Parking & Valet. VALET SERVICE: Café Trio provides Valet Service at our Main Street Front Door Entrance on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday from 6-10 pm. The cost is $4, however please present your valet ticket for a credit against your bill. Pull to front Door on Main Street for VALET service. Cars are parked in the secured and monitored American Century Office Tower Garage.
A word from Café Trio
Hip & glamorous, Café Trio blends outstanding cuisine and cocktails for an award winning “Come as you are” fine dining experience. Trio offers a unique intersection of incredible dining, quality live entertainment and original local art. The Starlet Lounge at Café Trio evokes a bygone era complete with Hollywood Starlets and the always playing classic movie with unique specialty martinis, traditional cocktails and an extensive list of wine and beers. Every Tuesday features Half Priced Wine with $5 Starlet specialty Martinis each Wednesday. Live music on Tuesday through Saturday includes Café Trio's own resident Diva, the one and only Alice Jenkins on Friday & Saturday nights. Large outdoor deck and terrace offers one of kind views of the Country Club Plaza and J.C. Nichols Fountain. Cafe Trio is one of Kansas City's most popular restaurants. Awarded multiple Kansas City “Best Of” designations by Kansas City Magazine, including “Best Overall Restaurant”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Café Trio - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Café Trio reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (155)neighborhood gem (134)fit for foodies (130)special occasion (121)romantic (98)scenic view (96)good for groups (72)great for lunch (72)vibrant bar scene (63)hot spot (54)notable wine list (38)late-night find (29)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Delight in the plazaMassageDined on 10/21/2014Always an eclectic menu, presentation exceptional, good portion size & good mixing of flavors. Enjoy soft piano music & decoration in dining roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014I had viewed a sample menu online but it was not what was offered that evening. I was disappointed I couldn't order the pork chop and I'm scared of pork belly that was available. I ended up with the salmon and the sauce was delightful.Special Features:
- great spotthenowandthendinerDined on 10/17/2014the food was excellent. lots of great choices. both large plates and small plates. the waiter was especially helpful, indicating what was a really good choice and what would be a good combination. we were in a quieter part of the restaurant which for our purposes--talking one on one-- was even better. a great evening.Special Features:
- HungryVIPDined on 10/16/2014Trio always delivers. The only disappointrmen was the lack of BIG pieces of candied pecans in the salad. It must have been the end of the jar of pecans - the salad had nothing but crums basically. No, we did not complain at the time.....probably should have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat1793VIPDined on 10/11/2014Been here probably 20-ish times now, and have never been disappointed. Our favorite in KC.Special Features:
- Loved the menu!KC18Dined on 10/10/2014I loved the menu at Cafe Trio and could hardly decide what to order. My family and I tried the tilapia, mac and cheese and a couple of flatbreads. Everything was delicious! I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Always a great timeLakeLadyDined on 10/4/2014The service was great, the rib eye fantastic as usual. Staff friendly and helpful. One of my go to places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salman special and Walleye dinnersEhrengardDined on 10/4/2014The food was quality poor and flavorless will not go back...
- cherylVIPDined on 10/3/2014The view from the outdoor porch, the service and the food were all wonderful! I tried the special salmon and would love to have another serving right now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TriotomthornVIPDined on 9/28/2014is at the top of our list for dining out. Dining room and deck are among the city's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this Cafe!loveditDined on 9/27/2014We were celebrating our son's and his wife's anniversary, and my wife's birthday. First time at this restaurant. Loved the ambiance and great food. Our waiter ( Tony I believe) was the best. Best we have had for a while.Special Features:
- Birthday gatheringRudyDined on 9/26/2014The evening couldn't have been more perfect. The four of us each ordered separate dishes, and all were notably superb. Our wait person, Jordan did a terrific job of attending to our every need, there when we needed her, glasses kept full with ice water, and all courses of the meal arrived in a timely fashion. The food was magnificent, including the presentation, the taste and the combination of each entree paired with vegetables and a starch. We had a 6:00 pm reservation and easily made it to the theater in time for an 8:00 pm show. Thanks for a terrific evening at Cafe Trio. We look forward to returning. RPSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cafe trio?paulinaVIPDined on 9/24/2014Really disappointed. Started 7p.m. got food half past 8 with no apologies. Food has changed. salmon was some sort of croquet not a filet and the rissoto was so oniony i could not eat it. My seafood trio was off the menu and my favorite steak is now $50. Plus, I felt like bread should have been offered especially since the food was so lat. Where or where is my Cafe Trio I have loves since the old location. I want to support you, but you are making it hard.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014It seems like most times I have been to Trio, they are usually out of something on their menu. Their menu selecton for entrees isn't huge, so this can be a little bit of a bummer. Hoewever, the entree that I did select instead of their scallops was excellent.Special Features:
- All About ServiceluvserviceDined on 9/20/2014We all can trust our taste buds to tell us it was good or bad. The food was very good, you could argue that the chef might like garlic a bit too much, and the shrimp on the flat bread was overdone. What it comes down to is; the food was very good, good selection, good presentation,complex flavors and textures. The wine list was delightful, playfully executed, nice range and quality products. It was very good. What our taste buds can't tell us, and to me such a key factor is how will the sever assist or take away from my night. Cafe trio must take the time to train and educate because not only our sever but even the ones near us seemed knowledgeable, engaging and some times just straight up funny. This value add makes one want to come back.Special Features:
- Great upscale experienceJJinKCDined on 9/19/2014The ambiance was pleasant, we had a small half-circle booth by the front windows and there was a pianist playing classic tunes. The waitress was friendly and good about making suggestions - I did not like the cocktail she recommended but she helped us out on dinner and boy was it good! We had the pork belly and tilapia with a side of the mac and cheese, everything was superb. The entrees are more about presentation and taste than portions, you pay a little more but what you get will be excellent. Though it wasn't a lot of food it was more than enough for us. I would absolutely go back, this is a top 10 restaurant in KC.Special Features:
- Cafe Trio dedicated 2 deliciousnessFoodGloriousFoodDined on 9/19/2014I started to use the word reliable but some may find reliable boring. I instead choose the word dedicated, as I know each time I make a reservation at Cafe Trio, the food, the service and the ambiance will be wonderful. So please know that this restaurant is truly dedicated to deliciousness and it's the place you can go and always know everything will be fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe TrioFoodie92Dined on 9/19/2014Cafe Trio was fabulous for our family. Even though we brought our children with us, I wouldn't say this is a restaurant for children. Our children were well-behaved and have been encouraged to try different foods. So much so, that our 9 yr old ordered the Prince Edward Island Mussels for his meal and exclaimed while eating "This is delicious! I love this place!". We all got a kick out of that. The ambiance was lovely with beautiful decor and a fun piano player entertaining us. My husband and I could enjoy a romantic night out even with our children along. We were celebrating my birthday, but no embarrasing songs or antics ensued. My husband and I are foodies and enjoyed excellent meals (the filet and the diver scallops).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4funVIPDined on 9/19/2014What a delightful beginning to a "night on the town!" The service, drinks and food were outstanding. Our choices of the salmon roumalade and the scallops were some of the best we have had. The staff was welcoming and friendly as well as knowledgeable about the menu. We have no hesitation in recommending Cafe Trio to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Casual GormetPatronDined on 9/18/2014Wonderful ambiance, music with Tim Whitmer sets relaxed mood. Mussels super, Tilapia excellent. Service smooth and seamless. If another waiter noticed something need to be cleared or re-filled, it was done, even if not his/her table. Well trained staff.Special Features:
- Great lunchBob47VIPDined on 9/18/2014Had lunch with a friend. Braised brisket sandwich and a cheeseburger with egg. Outstanding. Great service. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time to Cafe TrioOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Met a friend for lunch. Great atmosphere, food, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serivekassonmoDined on 9/13/2014Our waiter Jake was great. We sat on the patio and it was a perfect night. The food, as always was amazing. Everyone focuses on the mac and cheese but I would personally say the friend green tomatoes are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!nomnomnomVIPDined on 9/13/2014I came here for dinner and was very pleased. Just got the Mac Daddy with cheese (no bacon, tomatoes, etc.), and it was absolutely delicious! The service was pretty good, and I was also happy with the ambiance and wine list. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- LibbiVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food as gone down hill. It is not the same quality than it has been in the past.Special Features:
- Terrific, as alwaysKarenVIPDined on 9/12/2014Cafe Trio is always a great choice - for a special occasion, or just for an evening out. The entrees are wonderful, but so are the salads and starters. That blue cheese and tenderloin appetizer is my favorite.Special Features:
- ServerBusinessDinnerDined on 9/10/2014Out server was excellent. I believe his name was Phillip (I hope I remember that correctly). He did a great job! Wonderful food as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryVIPDined on 9/8/2014Mu go-to restaurant - what more can I say? This is my favorite KC restaruant so all I can say is GO & enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific lunch.MarketGuruDined on 9/8/2014Another business lunch on the deck enjoying the spectacular view of the Plaza and getting the excellent service I've come to expect from Trio. Tried another great summer menu item, the cantaloupe, shrimp & avocado salad. Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014We had an 8:45 pm reservation at Cafe Trio, and we were seated on time. However, at 10:10 we were still waiting for our food, and when we asked the server we were told it would be 10-15 minutes as there were lots and lots of tickets in the kitchen. While in the process of attempting to pay for the soft drinks, glass of wine and bread we had consumed so we could leave, the food miraculously appeared. The filet ordered as medium rare was basically raw, and the temperature of the other three entrees were also underdone. Needless to say we left without eating, with no intention of ever returning to Cafe Trio in the future
- Lovely evening on the deckJoJoDined on 9/6/2014One of the best decks in Kansas City, Cafe Trio serves up its full fare in a setting that can't be beat. Overlooking Mill Creek Park and the Plaza, the setting is relaxing and fun. And the food, as always, is great.Special Features:
- Cafe Trio never disappointsJustJoanDined on 9/5/2014Rained out First Friday? No brainer: Head to to Cafe Trio. Open Table reservation for preferred time? Check. Deck seating so we could watch the rain, the umbrellas on the Plaza and the Red Friday JC Nichols fountain? Check again. Martini for him, Kim Crawford for her? Yes, please, and Double Check. Onto dinner and people watching. Happy Hour menu yielded a great burger for my better half and the chicken soup (with rye noodles and Tarragon oil!) for me. Add the "best I've ever had" fried green tomatoes and a side of the delectable glazed beets and we were happy, happy, people. I actually very apologetically sent my cocktail back - something I've never done before - and the waiter was very gracious and understanding. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deckTigergranVIPDined on 8/30/2014We dined outside on the deck. Our service was excellent giving us comments on our entree selections and attention. The scallops and pork bellies were delicious choices. Cafe Trio continues to be one of our favorite places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 hours is too long!STS3Dined on 8/30/2014We have eaten at Café Trio several times in the past and have always been pleased with the entire experience. Saturday, 8/30/14, our service was not what we have been used to. There was some large dining event taking place in the restaurant that night so I don't know what impact that had on our service. It could be that we just had a non-attentive server. We still plan to dine at Café Trio in the future, but two strikes and your out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is one of our go-to places when we want to dine outside. The deck has a lovely view and the outdoor chairs are comfortable. The deck is pretty lively, but that's part of the attraction. Food is always good. I had crabcakes and the chilled pepper soup which was delicious. My companion had steak and loved it. We split a nice bottle of wine, took our time and had a wonderful meal. Despite the challenges of the deck, we had great service. Parking is easy. All the staff with whom we had contact were friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Delicious, but not romantic.AlexaDined on 8/29/2014The food was great, service was great, but the only tables available, even with a reservation, were right next to the kitchen doors or a hightop in the middle of an open area. Combined with the multiple TV's tuned to ESPN, our anniversary dinner was not as romantic as I was hoping.Special Features:
- great place to eatLuv2eatDined on 8/28/2014Our experience was fantastic and my wife and I will be returning. the piano player was great and the service was excellent. I would recommend your place to all our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful DiningRoom4dessertDined on 8/28/2014Very nice and consistent. Cafe Trio is a well established restaurant (10 years). Good food that isn't too fussy or overly contrived but still inventive. I'm not sure but I think there are rotating seasonal specials on the menu. I had a salad and a small plate ravioli and creme brûlée which were yummy. The guys in the group had more robust meals-hanger steak and pork belly which were well received. We ate inside-nice decor. There is a back deck which gives you a great view of the Plaza and JC Nichols fountain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to meet up with friendsNeenAnnDined on 8/26/2014The ambiance was perfect for getting back together with a friend from long ago. we were able to visit, enjoy fantastic food, and both relax from a long day of work. Thanks Jeremy! You are a fantastic server and I look forward to visiting YOU again, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catching up with friends0826KYDined on 8/26/2014From the beginning we were warmly greeted & taken to our patio table and had the choice of any table which made for great private conversation. Our Server Jordan gave us ample time to order drinks and appetizer... And followed up timely to order the main course. The entire experience was great and all staff members were friendly and courteous. Great Job to all that made for a excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.