4558 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64111Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafetriokc.com/
- Phone: 8167563227x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday - Friday 11am - 2pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday -Friday 2pm-6pm
DINNER / Full Menu Service: Monday - Thursday: 5pm-10pm, Friday & Saturday: 5pm -11pm Sunday: 4pm-9pm.
Cocktails (Lounge & Deck): Monday - Friday: 2:00pm - Midnight, Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight
Kitchen Hours may Vary
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Unspecified, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Yoder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Piano & Vocals. Blues & Jazz. Evenings: Tuesday through Saturday.
- Special Events: Cafe Trio hosts numerous special events year round including wine diners, art openings, costume parties and special live music engagements. Please sign up to receive emails about these events by visiting our website at cafetriokc.com.
- Cross Street: E. 45th Street
- Public Transit: On the actual Main Street route, including the Max. Only a few feet from two stops.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private Lot, Street Parking & Valet. VALET SERVICE: Café Trio provides Valet Service at our Main Street Front Door Entrance on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday from 6-10 pm. The cost is $4, however please present your valet ticket for a credit against your bill. Pull to front Door on Main Street for VALET service. Cars are parked in the secured and monitored American Century Office Tower Garage.
A word from Café Trio
Hip & glamorous, Café Trio blends outstanding cuisine and cocktails for an award winning “Come as you are” fine dining experience. Trio offers a unique intersection of incredible dining, quality live entertainment and original local art. The Starlet Lounge at Café Trio evokes a bygone era complete with Hollywood Starlets and the always playing classic movie with unique specialty martinis, traditional cocktails and an extensive list of wine and beers. Every Tuesday features Half Priced Wine with $5 Starlet specialty Martinis each Wednesday. Live music on Tuesday through Saturday includes Café Trio's own resident Diva, the one and only Alice Jenkins on Friday & Saturday nights. Large outdoor deck and terrace offers one of kind views of the Country Club Plaza and J.C. Nichols Fountain. Cafe Trio is one of Kansas City's most popular restaurants. Awarded multiple Kansas City “Best Of” designations by Kansas City Magazine, including “Best Overall Restaurant”.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Café Trio - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Café Trio reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (168)special occasion (133)neighborhood gem (127)fit for foodies (124)scenic view (109)romantic (104)good for groups (69)great for lunch (69)vibrant bar scene (61)hot spot (54)notable wine list (48)late-night find (35)great for brunch (32)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Great food and serivekassonmoDined on 9/13/2014Our waiter Jake was great. We sat on the patio and it was a perfect night. The food, as always was amazing. Everyone focuses on the mac and cheese but I would personally say the friend green tomatoes are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!nomnomnomVIPDined on 9/13/2014I came here for dinner and was very pleased. Just got the Mac Daddy with cheese (no bacon, tomatoes, etc.), and it was absolutely delicious! The service was pretty good, and I was also happy with the ambiance and wine list. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Terrific, as alwaysKarenVIPDined on 9/12/2014Cafe Trio is always a great choice - for a special occasion, or just for an evening out. The entrees are wonderful, but so are the salads and starters. That blue cheese and tenderloin appetizer is my favorite.Special Features:
- ServerBusinessDinnerDined on 9/10/2014Out server was excellent. I believe his name was Phillip (I hope I remember that correctly). He did a great job! Wonderful food as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryVIPDined on 9/8/2014Mu go-to restaurant - what more can I say? This is my favorite KC restaruant so all I can say is GO & enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific lunch.MarketGuruDined on 9/8/2014Another business lunch on the deck enjoying the spectacular view of the Plaza and getting the excellent service I've come to expect from Trio. Tried another great summer menu item, the cantaloupe, shrimp & avocado salad. Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay AwayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014We had an 8:45 pm reservation at Cafe Trio, and we were seated on time. However, at 10:10 we were still waiting for our food, and when we asked the server we were told it would be 10-15 minutes as there were lots and lots of tickets in the kitchen. While in the process of attempting to pay for the soft drinks, glass of wine and bread we had consumed so we could leave, the food miraculously appeared. The filet ordered as medium rare was basically raw, and the temperature of the other three entrees were also underdone. Needless to say we left without eating, with no intention of ever returning to Cafe Trio in the future
- Lovely evening on the deckJoJoDined on 9/6/2014One of the best decks in Kansas City, Cafe Trio serves up its full fare in a setting that can't be beat. Overlooking Mill Creek Park and the Plaza, the setting is relaxing and fun. And the food, as always, is great.Special Features:
- Cafe Trio never disappointsJustJoanDined on 9/5/2014Rained out First Friday? No brainer: Head to to Cafe Trio. Open Table reservation for preferred time? Check. Deck seating so we could watch the rain, the umbrellas on the Plaza and the Red Friday JC Nichols fountain? Check again. Martini for him, Kim Crawford for her? Yes, please, and Double Check. Onto dinner and people watching. Happy Hour menu yielded a great burger for my better half and the chicken soup (with rye noodles and Tarragon oil!) for me. Add the "best I've ever had" fried green tomatoes and a side of the delectable glazed beets and we were happy, happy, people. I actually very apologetically sent my cocktail back - something I've never done before - and the waiter was very gracious and understanding. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deckTigergranVIPDined on 8/30/2014We dined outside on the deck. Our service was excellent giving us comments on our entree selections and attention. The scallops and pork bellies were delicious choices. Cafe Trio continues to be one of our favorite places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 hours is too long!STS3Dined on 8/30/2014We have eaten at Café Trio several times in the past and have always been pleased with the entire experience. Saturday, 8/30/14, our service was not what we have been used to. There was some large dining event taking place in the restaurant that night so I don't know what impact that had on our service. It could be that we just had a non-attentive server. We still plan to dine at Café Trio in the future, but two strikes and your out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is one of our go-to places when we want to dine outside. The deck has a lovely view and the outdoor chairs are comfortable. The deck is pretty lively, but that's part of the attraction. Food is always good. I had crabcakes and the chilled pepper soup which was delicious. My companion had steak and loved it. We split a nice bottle of wine, took our time and had a wonderful meal. Despite the challenges of the deck, we had great service. Parking is easy. All the staff with whom we had contact were friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- great place to eatLuv2eatDined on 8/28/2014Our experience was fantastic and my wife and I will be returning. the piano player was great and the service was excellent. I would recommend your place to all our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful DiningRoom4dessertDined on 8/28/2014Very nice and consistent. Cafe Trio is a well established restaurant (10 years). Good food that isn't too fussy or overly contrived but still inventive. I'm not sure but I think there are rotating seasonal specials on the menu. I had a salad and a small plate ravioli and creme brûlée which were yummy. The guys in the group had more robust meals-hanger steak and pork belly which were well received. We ate inside-nice decor. There is a back deck which gives you a great view of the Plaza and JC Nichols fountain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to meet up with friendsNeenAnnDined on 8/26/2014The ambiance was perfect for getting back together with a friend from long ago. we were able to visit, enjoy fantastic food, and both relax from a long day of work. Thanks Jeremy! You are a fantastic server and I look forward to visiting YOU again, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catching up with friends0826KYDined on 8/26/2014From the beginning we were warmly greeted & taken to our patio table and had the choice of any table which made for great private conversation. Our Server Jordan gave us ample time to order drinks and appetizer... And followed up timely to order the main course. The entire experience was great and all staff members were friendly and courteous. Great Job to all that made for a excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014I try to host business lunches here at least weekly, this time I will be there twice in a week. I appreciate the service of the staff and good food.Special Features:
- Great food, Not the best serviceBusinessDinnerDined on 8/26/2014We a group luncheon for work. It was a little loud and hard to hear. The food was great. The service was very slow. The server was just okay. I have been going here for a long time and typically have wonderful service. One of the reason we keep going back. This time the service fell short.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everCliffDined on 8/25/2014Cafe Trio has been a gem since it opened. I haven't been able to go in years, but my visit for lunch the other day was as good as ever. Crab cakes are a definite order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all around!KCushDined on 8/22/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere! Loved it and will definately be back!Special Features:
- Fabulous Friday!kelbuzDined on 8/22/2014Fabulous way to spend a Friday night...amazing food, excellent service, and wonderful people! Thanks Tony for taking such good care of us. Be sure to try the Summer Menu by Chef Adam Yoder, and say hello to Tai and Chris! OOh, yes, a special treat is the lovely apropos piano music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe triorleibachDined on 8/22/2014Fantastic restaurant. Delicious food, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic PlaceTGW1VIPDined on 8/21/2014Cafe Trio is a warm and friendly place to enjoy a lovely lunch with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeykDined on 8/19/2014Celebrated our anniversary at Trio - a favorite place for us. Everything was wonderful and we appreciated the champagne toast and dessert. They went out of their way to make our evening special. As usual!!Special Features:
- Staff was attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014Present but not overwhelming -- good coverage by others. Server could have known the menu a little better. Salad was very 'over dressed' this time so will ask for dressing on the side in the future.Special Features:
- I keep coming backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014Anytime I've been at Cafe Trio I've thoroughly enjoyed myself and had a great meal. The mixed drinks are yummy and have plenty of alcohol in them. The food is interesting and well prepared. I love eating on the deck when the weather is mild. Take time to visit this restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday 2014HankDined on 8/16/2014First time visit and a special occasion - birthday. Our server Blair was outstanding. He was knowledgeable of the of the specials, entrees, and made excellent suggestions on wine which were outstanding. Overall first time experience was outstanding and we will spread the word. Thanks for a Happy Birthday celebration.Special Features:
- cwpaDined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent and the staff was very attentive. Enjoyed the patio as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryVIPDined on 8/15/2014Spinach salad with salmon was good, not great. The onions in the salad were not good, the spinach too "wet," could use a slightly larger piece of salmon, more dressing. The steak tidbits with blue cheese were good - not over cooked which was very nice - could have had a bit more blue cheese for my taste. All in all - good, not great. Service is always attentive & friendly without being "fake" - I hate fake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Food and atmosphere were great and our meal and service, too. We enjoyed both the fish and the steak, and the wine list had all price points.Special Features:
- Uncharacteristically slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent food as always. Lovely waiter but for some reason, our food was extremely slow to arrive to us, over an hour after placing order . Others around us were getting their entrees well ahead of us . We did not order anything unusual or particularly time-consuming to prepare, so it remains a mystery.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly rewardedjhjohnDined on 8/8/2014I'd had my eye on Cafe Trio after having moved to KC 12 years ago. I think because of the advertising I believed it be a place for artsy folks to frequent, into which I place myself. Now that I have two teenaged children, and the Groupon came up for sale, I made the choice to try it out. We made the reservation for Friday night - it was my foodie daughter, and my mother. Upon arrival we were quickly sat within the main dining area, enjoying the background piano which warmed the room. We ordered the mussels for an appetizer, a large salad, and two entrees and were encouraged to share by our server who brought extra plates. We finished every morsel and all remarked how light the food laid within our stomachs - a mark of well prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary mealOur32ndanniversaryDined on 8/6/2014We celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Café Trio. We asked for seating on the covered deck which overlooks the Country Club Plaza and its iconic fountains. Our server, Jeremy, provided excellent service and suggestions for our menu selections, all of which were wonderful. A marvelous evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattersonDined on 8/6/2014our service was fantastic and the food was terrific, perfect evening, a storm came rather suddenly and they moved us from the deck without any delays in service. Love this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening With Visiting FriendsLibrarianNKCDined on 8/5/2014One of the things I like most about Cafe Trio is that it offers an excellent, comfortable and welcoming atmosphere to entertain friends. Two friends I'd not seen in eight years visited me recently and we spent a very enjoyable evening at Cafe Trio. One friend enjoyed the fabulously famous Mac Daddy and she agreed that it lived up to its reputation. The other friend had the Hanger steak and he said it was flavorful and cooked to his liking. I had one of my favorites--the Tilapia. It was cooked to perfection as always. The service at Trio is always excellent and our visit was no exception. Cafe Trio is one of my favorite restaurants in Kansas City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4funVIPDined on 8/5/2014This time we dined in the bar area and took advantage of the "happy hour" specials in addition to our drink favorites that are always done very well. There are some great choices; we will definitely visit for happy hour again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a nice evening...KCsobeDined on 8/2/2014We look forward to dinner and drinks at Trio. Wonderful terrace looking over the Plaza. Great food, great drinks and great people who run it.Special Features:
- STELLARDearandHonVIPDined on 8/2/2014NEVER a disappointment!...we travel to Kansas City two or three times a year (for shopping) and Cafe Trio is ALWAYS our destination spot dinner...this a cocktail at the bar...try the White Diamond...unbelievable!...dinner started with PEI mussels...yum!...crisp ice cold house salads with herb parmesan dressing on the side...my daughter had the salmon roulade and I had the tilapia...both entrees piping hot and served with summer squash and new potatoes with the salmon and basmati rice with the tilapia...creative and spot on flavor...warm chocolate truffle cake and KC Rotisserie coffee to finish our meal...everyone at Cafe Trio makes you feel welcome...but it is Richard that makes our return visits...STELLAR! Thank you, Cafe Trio!Special Features:
- Awesome BirthdayLoveFoodDined on 8/2/2014I setup a birthday party for a friend at Cafe Trio and it was an amazingly awesome time. Good food and drinks and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner reviewBiglouofkcDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I ate here on my birthday last Saturday night. We split a Ribeye, and it was excellent. The green fried tomato appetizer tasted like it was made somewhere else and frozen and then fried to order. Okay, not great. Our Server was Tony, he was very good and very well versed with the menu. His drink recommendation was a bit spicy. I think it was called the Vatos. It had a jalapeño infused rum or vodka. That was my last drink for the evening. He might have saved me some $ there. I'm not sure what the buttery-relish-herb stuff is that they put on top of the steaks is, but they should bottle it and sell it. Tators and asparagus that came with the steak were excellent. The salad, not so much. They sat us in the old people rm, which ...