Cafe Trio Cottonwood
6405 South 3000 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84121Neighborhood:
Holladay / Midvale / Sandy / Union
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Trio Cottonwood
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.triodining.com/
- Phone: 8019448746x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mikel Trapp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for a chic space to hold your next event or meeting? We cater to all kinds of private dining events, including Wedding Receptions & Rehearsal Dinners, Business Meetings, Birthday Parties, Reunions, Bar Mitzvahs, Holiday Parties - You name it!
- Private Party Contact: Natalie Ashcroft 8019448746x11
A word from Cafe Trio Cottonwood
Cafe Trio is a spacious, casual but elegant restaurant serving fine contemporary Italian cuisine. With its accessible menus & popular Trio dishes, it's a favorite destination for the many local residents & business personnel in the area. Menu favorites are their signature flatbreads, delicious thin crust pizzas, Lemon Chicken Salad & Trio Meatball Pasta.Continued
The unique decor & layout of Trio perfectly accommodates parties as small as two or as large as 150.
The unique decor & layout of Trio perfectly accommodates parties as small as two or as large as 150.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cafe Trio Cottonwood - Best Restaurants in Holladay / Midvale / Sandy / Union ›
Cafe Trio Cottonwood reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (23)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (8)special occasion (6)great for brunch (6)romantic (5)fit for foodies (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Just okayMicheaVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was okay - the menu wasn't awesome. Time for an updated seasonal menu.... Beers came out without classes. The young waiter indicated that they were out of glasses. When we joked around about it (not really happy, but not wanting to complain and really wanting a glass for the beer) with the waiter who quipped in a snappy way that there were no glasses because (as he pointed around the patio) that all these people also wanted glasses for their beers. Well then. Okay. We don't need a glass. The food was not bad but the menu needs an update most definitely. We haven't eaten at TRIO for years and thought we'd give it a try. We'll head back to Cannella's. Or to Pago for interesting menu items that are seasonal.Special Features:
- kinda disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014we have eaten there in the past and loved it. this time it was super loud - we couldn't hear each other and had to shout across the table. The special had a tiny bit of chicken and was a really small portion. I don't think we will be going back.Special Features:
- Excellent, as always!!cholbroDined on 8/23/2014Becoming my favorite! Food is great, consistent and service is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissed and disappointedDineanddishDined on 8/15/2014We chose trio for a birthday night out. Awful choice. The staff was out right rude more than once. The waiter did not so much as say happy birthday to my son when we had to ask for a desert menu. Waited with dirty dishes at the table between every course w no server in sight. Had to ask on specials and get up to find her to ask for a check. At the end the manager accused me of not telling anyone we had bad service as I told her we had waited a long time for everything. Food was ok, bland and over rated though. I left almost in tears at how rude they were from start to finish.Special Features:
- Tiny Weeny MartiniOliveDined on 8/8/2014My brother was in from Boston, we went for a hike up at Alta and then went to the Trio for dinner. The size of the Martini that he was served was almost comical. However, the olives were huge. My girlfriend and I both ordered wine and they were quite small as well for the price. I know Utah has some strange liquor laws but I have been to a lot of restaurants in SLC and received larger servings. We all ordered salads and although they were good the portion sizes were fairly small. It is back to the Porcupine for us.Special Features:
- early birdluv4foodDined on 8/3/2014Food is good, High ceiling makes things noisier then I like. our waiter was super.Special Features:
- Love this place...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014I love trio's menu, I always have my favorite meals, i know they will be so tasty as I remembered. The atmosphere was pleasant, I prefer booths to tables. Our server was so attentive, and also offered a wine recommendation which was his favorite, it is now a new favorite for me :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dinnerAelvisjDined on 7/26/2014Great patio-good cocktails and everyone cleared their platesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for OccasionsOmniaFoxDined on 7/18/2014This is a nice place to bring someone on a date or to celebrate an anniversary, etc. Great ambience with good food and a good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Relaxing Evening, Good FoodNoclamsandotheringredientVIPDined on 7/18/2014ATMOSPHERE - Came here on Friday night after work. It was a great relaxing atmosphere especially being seated out in the patio. FOOD - The seafood pasta i ordered @$19 was horrible. Don't order this. Otherwise, the Antipasto (with only one tiny piece of bread), BBQ chicken pizza, trio flat bread, cocktails, coffees etc all great. Recommend coming here. Service better than SLC branch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Patio in the ValleyGiniDined on 7/10/2014If looking for outdoor dining, Cottonwood Trio has one of the best patios in the valley. Wait staff are very attentive and efficient.Special Features:
- Food and ServiceWhiteDined on 6/29/2014I ordered the BBQ Chicken pizza and I must say, it wasn't thick, but it was extremely tasty. Always order a flatbread as an appetizer here. It is a great small starter food. The menus are terrible, that is the one bad thing about this restaurant. The words are too close together and not properly organized. The waiter I had wasn't bad but he had a vibe that suggested he wasn't extremely comfortable with his position.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceTBrownDined on 6/20/2014The food was terrific. Service even better. The patio dining is wonderful.Special Features:
- Nice Evening OutslcfoodieDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I had dinner at Trio last Friday, and it was a very enjoyable experience. The goat cheese flatbread appetizer and cobb salad that we ordered were delicious. We had their pasta special as an entree (and shared it), but were both a little disappointed with it. It was more bland than most of the dishes we have had at Trio before. I think in the future I will probably stick with their salads. Service was great, and we never felt rushed to finish our dinner and leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable ExperiencegiveservicegetserviceVIPDined on 6/4/2014Great service. The pasta special had wonderful flavors, however pasta was undercooked. Well beyond al dente.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 229 reviews are from the Cafe Trio Cottonwood reviews archive.
- First dateOnceaChefDined on 5/23/2014been here before loved it. this time just ok. very loud, our server was slow. I will try once more to see the two outta three what happens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingUSC1UTEDined on 5/11/2014Had a reservation for 1:00 but was not seated until 1:30. After going to the brunch buffet found that 50% of the buffet was lacking food. Really a disappointing experience considering that we have enjoyed our dining experiences here on multiple occasions. I will chalk it up to management and staff having a "bad" day! (Not a good time to have a "bad" day when trying to celebrate Mother's Day.)
- Mother's Day Brunchkv625Dined on 5/11/2014I was thrilled that Trio took reservations. That is what drew us to this restaurant. I have been there for dinner before and loved the food. We were a little disappointed with the buffet for bruch however. While the beef, pasta and eggs were good, the bacon was over cooked, our coffee was cold and the desserts tasted like they had freezer burn. We were a bit dissapointed in the offerings. For brunch my son thought for sure there would be pancakes. Definitly not what you would expect for a $30 per person brunch. The waiter did bring us nut-free french toast upon request, which was great because my daughter has a nut allergy and the french toast in the buffet was a had pecans on it and was a bit soggy from sitting in the buffet server.Special Features:
- liked itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Food was very good with big portions. The service wasnt that great but it could have been just a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grest Ladies LunchMaryMBDined on 5/6/2014Our goodbye lunch for a dear tennis buddy was held here with 8 attending. We had a very patient waiter who did an outstanding job. We mostly all had salads and flatbread and wine, of course. Very nice atmosphere, clean, and friendly. We liked the fact that you can order a half salad. It is a good neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014This is a nice place for good food. Lunch was relaxed and there were plenty of tables. The hosts were not very attentivewhen we first arrived but the wait staff was great!Special Features:
- good brunchnjurseLDined on 4/20/2014The Easter brunch was an enjoyable experience. Food was very good. Staff was very hospitable and on top of the situation.Special Features:
- Great!SushiLoverVIPDined on 4/16/2014Always love going to Trio. The food is always excellent and I love patio dining!Special Features:
- DisappointedfoodsnobVIPDined on 4/11/2014We have dined at Trio many times. We also like Mikael's Fresco. This was a huge disappointment. I had the Orchietta with clams and shrimp. The shrimp appeared to be small shrimp cocktail tossed into a tasteless broth. The arugula salad was good. My husband ordered a special of braised pork ragu on linguine. It was an unimaginative display of what could be a delicious ragu. To top all this off, we were surrounded by tables of rowdy families. The table next to us had the iPad going with a loud movie playing to entertain the children. It certainly did as they shrieked along with every line. Last year we celebrated my husband's birthday here and had a wonderful dinner for eight. Something very bad has happened here.Special Features:
- Not enough CauliflowercookiemomDined on 4/5/2014I ordered two sides for dinner. Mussels and cauliflower. There were,at most, 4 small pieces of cauliflower in the ramekin and way too much sauce and spce. Thank goodness I ordered the Rosemary flat bread (which was delicious) or I would have left hungry.
- Repeat customersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014We have been to this restaurant many times. We like the food and the service is good. Our hesitation is that it is extremely noisy and we may decide to go earlier in the evening to avoid the crowded, noisy time of 7 p.m.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The outdoor section was notccgirlDined on 3/23/2014The outdoor section was not open yet, but it seemed that that would be a nice place to dine. It is very modern decor and this is most likely why it is noisy. Too much hardscape including wooden seating. Colors make it inviting but noise and seating detract from that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food solid, service lackingSamchildVIPDined on 3/11/2014I was a bit confused when I walked into Cafe Trio - there was no obvious place to go to find the maitre d'. At least five employees walked by be, some saying hello, others focused on something else other than me, the only customer. No one tried to help me for five minutes. The situation was more dumbfounding since I was on crutches. I almost walked out. Once I was seated, I placed my order with a server who seemed to have other things on his mind. He returned five minutes later to tell me that my selection was no longer available, and that it had run out nearly an hour ago (causing me to think that he should have known that when I placed my order). My second selection tasted good, but the service left a bad taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- Great SpotBryanDined on 3/7/2014First time Diner at Trio. Great food, had the special tenderloin. I recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Place love it alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Great Place love it always have a fantastic time :-)Special Features:
- SpotlightFroggzDined on 2/15/2014The food was good but we had bright spotlights shining down on us. We asked if they could lower the light and were told no. Also, we were at an extremely small table, against a wall and no windows.
- Perfect Valentine DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I had our first date at Café Trio almost 4 years ago. We thought it would be a nice V Day dinner and it was. We haven't been there for quite some time and things have changed a bit. Our waiter was very pleasant and checked on us at always the right moment not to interrupt but make sure we didn't need anything. We were very pleased with the table we sat at and the atmosphere. Overall we had a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's SoleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014We are frequent diners at Trio. The sole we had on Valentine's Day was the best thing we have ever eaten there. I hope it can be permanently placed on the menu. It was fantastic!!Special Features:
- Valentine DinnerorganmdDined on 2/14/2014Our Valentine diner was great. Our server was delightful! We were seated in a quiet corner where we could hol hands have private conversation and truly just enjoy each other. 37 years of marriage and we still love going out for a fine meal on special days.Special Features:
- Great view, food--it dependsazgolferDined on 2/14/2014Since the restaurant is located at a higher elevation, the mountain and city views were fantastic. I recommend the loft for a romantic evening. Our service was very good. Our appetizer of charred brussel sprouts were good although very spicy due to the chili. They could have used more parmesan cheese and lemon. My husband ordered the baked penne with mushrooms, biscotto ham, and tomatoes in a garlic cream sauce. He stated the pasta was excellent. I ordered one of the Valentine's Day specials--fillet of beef. The bland-tasting steak was cooked more medium than medium rare which I ordered. The rosemary au gratin potatoes lacked seasoning. The creamed kale with blue cheese was absolutely delicious! It was the best tasting part of my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for casual diningKimicanDined on 2/5/2014Wait staff was great. Noise level high for good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good brunch, inconsistent qualityNoclamsandotheringredientVIPDined on 2/1/2014Defintely the portions have changed. We are frequent diners of Cafe Trio. Ordered the Itanlian Sausage brunch and it came sliced open in half to compensate for the shrunk size. Cafe Trio - both cottonwood and SLC are inconsistent in their food portions. Disappointing as this was our favorite place to hang out. Will be looking for other places now.Special Features:
- Wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2014We we're celebrate ping our fourth anniversary at are Trio as we were married there. It holds a special place in our hearts. The service was wonderful. The food was good, except for my husband's dish. It was poorly executed. He had the cider braised pork loin which was dry, and the gnocchi was burnt and didn't go well with the charred brussels sprouts. My dish was a gluten free pasta with a spicy cauliflower ragu which was really good. It was a bit too spicy for me, but I highly recommend it! Usually, we never go wrong with what is on the menu. I would not recommend the cider braised pork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Menu but Not Enough HealthyssssdebDined on 12/31/2013I am vegan, and I know this is not whom Trio caters to, but it's hard to find a healthy meal here. (LOTS of cheese...) I ordered a flat bread that came with three dips (Trio Flatbread) and the server told me not to eat the basil dip because it had Parmesan (she told me this when I ordered, not when it arrived). That's fine except it would have been nice had she swapped out the basil dip with one of the other two dips, providing me with extra of what I can eat and not completely wasting the basil dip from the get-go. The wine menu was small but adequate. I also had a salad that was spendy for what was included and the bread and salad were not much of a meal for me. My spouse's chicken and polenta dinner looked very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good restaurantapuslcDined on 12/28/2013good restaurant, a little cozy(cramped) and a little loud but food is good, and service is good. will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.