242 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafetallulah.com/
- Phone: 2122091055
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: 5pm - 1am
Kitchen: 5pm - 11pm
Kitchen: 5pm - 12am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Cafe Tallulah
Our French inspired menu fully complements the array of unique, infused cocktails that are offered on the longest zinc bar you can find in Manhattan. Located on the Upper West Side, join our neighbors for dollar oysters until 8pm any day of the week. Choose from our expansive selection of wines, both by the glass and by the bottle, hand picked by our sommelier to fit anyone's palette.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Tallulah reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (17)fit for foodies (15)romantic (13)good for groups (13)great for lunch (11)hot spot (8)notable wine list (7)late-night find (7)special occasion (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Avoid for brunchNotacookVIPDined on 10/19/2014We went to Tallulah recently for brunch after having visited for drinks in the past. What a mistake. It was crowded when we arrived, and we waited 25 minutes after our reservation time to get seated. The waitress was very nice, but overwhelmed by her number of tables. We rarely saw her. The managers kept circulating around the restaurant, but did little to help. The food is average, and certainly not worth the wait or the hassle. For a place with a prime spot on the UWS, they need to learn how to do brunch. Recommend finding somewhere else.
- Tasty frenetic & inattentive brunchFrequentNYvisitorDined on 10/19/2014I made a brunch reservation for 2. Once there, we were asked by 3 different hosts our name, how many &the time of our reservation. "We're just setting it now." Fine. It's brunch in NY, but they just kept smiling & saying the same thing for 15 minutes. Once we ordered, our coffee was served in paper cups--"we're not trying to be fancy." AKA "we're out of real cups." The French toast was good, flavorful. The quiche Lorraine was tasty too. Plenty of staff, but none of them seemed to want to be helpful. They kept walking around the tables and looking as if they were interested in what was going on, but then they'd walk away. I tried flagging down these wanderers 3 times because our waiter spilled cream on the table. Maddening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Always a great spot for brunch and meet with friends. Quick service and great food.Special Features:
- Good French Bistro in NYCarlVIPDined on 10/16/2014I attended a Scotch tasting here in the bar downstairs, & decided to stay for dinner. The staff was friendly, & the menu what you would expect from a French Bistro. I had the Duck a l'orange, a Classic French dish and Sadly, I was disappointed. The skin was soggy the meat tough, and I tasted barely a hint of orange flavor. They have an extensive French wine list, and desserts were delicious.Special Features:
- Just Okpairof8sVIPDined on 10/16/2014Tallulah is a fun bar and room but the food was disappointing. The french onion soup was good but the steak tartare was incredibly bland and not ground small enough. The french gnocchi were just ok and the fish 3 ways was actually pretty decent. Overall, though, there are much better bistro/brasserie type places in the city to go to........Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014Just added to our top 20 list, excellent food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 10/9/2014We loved this pretty French café. The mussels were delicious, the tuna tartare appetizer was great and the burger was well prepared and flavorful. Good wine choices and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Find!FoodloverDined on 10/9/2014From the moment we entered the restaurant, the service was warm and accommodating. The food is French, and the ambiance is the same--interesting and romantic. Although we were not dining outdoors, floor to ceiling windows made it feel as though we were. Our mushroom tarts were scrumptious and filling--no desserts were had! Café Tallulah will be a new fave of mine.Special Features:
- Good food in friendly environmentboatsDined on 10/9/2014Great attention has been given to the decor which adds to a happy dining experience.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Although I was not a fan of their bellinis, I did enjoy the eggs benedict. Stellar service and love the decor.Special Features:
- noisyspiz69Dined on 9/24/2014I think it is a place for young people to get together. It is definitely not a place you can go with friends and enjoy an evening of food and conversation.Special Features:
- C Player in an A MarketraemikeVIPDined on 9/13/2014There are soooo many Frech Bistro choices in Manhattan, even within a few blocks of this place. Usually go to Nice Matin but wanted to try something different and chose this based on reviews. Took over one hour until even a slice of bread was serviced, 20 minutes to order drinks and 45 minutes to order appetizers and dinner due to inexperienced and young staff and confusion. Took manual intervention to get all basic service working. Eventually they got their act together and food was perfectly fine for that format, nothing special, but certainly good. This is not a market for C players and at least on this one night, this team wasn't up to the challenge of the A market of the UWS.
- DisgruntledVIPDined on 9/12/2014I can't judge the food from this experience. We made an open table reservation. The restaurant was over booked and we weren't seated.
- DisappointedNYCfeinschmeckerDined on 9/6/2014The decor, while trying to emulate that of a Paris bistro, comes off as faux. Food was OK but flourless chocolate cake was tiny and overpriced at $12. Service was inattentive and uninformative.
- Surprisingly goodNikki10023VIPDined on 8/29/2014Have avoided eating here as 1st reports not encouraging. Tried it Fri Aug 29 & we had a delicious meal. Recommend the Branzino Roulade w ratatouille & the Bouillabaisse & flourless chocolate cake & profiterolesSpecial Features:
- silkcityVIPDined on 8/23/2014grab a Gilt City voucher and tried their brunch. Not disappointed at all. service was efficient and friendly, and the fare was very good. Sat in the front in semi enclosed area, got the feel of the outdoors, without the excesses. I intend to return to try the dinner menu, looked inviting. Recommended.Special Features:
- Unfortunately not that goodJbs342VIPDined on 8/20/2014When the salad is the best part of your meal, that's saying something. The salad frisée was great, the mussels were pretty good, but unfortunately the bouillabaisse was overly fishy and generally not good. The very low point of the meal was the free brûlée, outside of the caramelized sugar, it was truly awful, worst I've had. Thankfully the cocktails were very good and helped to somewhat offset the underperforming food!
- RedheadDined on 8/20/2014Disappointed in food for cost. Nothing special. Liked ambiance and waiter, noise level was fine.
- Not so greatKikiDined on 8/18/2014My grilled shrimp over risotto were tiny boiled shrimp over very pasty rice. Awful!Special Features:
- Go-to place on the UWSfoodloverVIPDined on 8/18/2014This is one of my go-to places where I go when I want a good meal or when I have friends/family visiting. A great restaurant on the UWS, and so far everybody I have taken here has loved it as well!Special Features:
- Just blahcoppertop18Dined on 8/14/2014We went there for dinner and cannot say that any of the experience was memorable or worth writing home about. The food was just okay. We ordered the French Onion soup which was bland and the vegetables accompanying our ribeye for two tasted like something I wouldn't even serve to our toddlers, bland, flavorless and oversteamed. The service was so-so at best. I am sure you can find a better French restaurant in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Nice Neighborhood SpotimameyerhoffDined on 8/13/2014Great neighborhood find. Food was delicious, but not sure it was worth the extremely high prices. $27 for salmon that has no mention of it being organic or wild, so assuming it is the cheaper, farmed kind. I could go to Ocean down the street for that price and fresher ingredients. Cocktails were great, so was the atmosphere and the service, while slow, was great - very friendly and helpful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice space, great staff, OK foodRiversideDinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014Cafe Tallulah is a charming and welcoming space and we had a really lovely waiter, but unfortunately the food needs work. We started with the tuna tartar which was pretty good: an interesting take on a classic. I was really under-whelmed with my chicken a la morel, which was served on an odd bed of raw spinach. It was more like a salad than an entre. My companion had the mussels, which she loved, but a solid dozen of them were unopened. A few unopened mussels is no big deal but in this instance it seemed like a solid third of her plate was inedible.
- Disappointingaugust2014Dined on 8/7/2014Except for the delicious desserts and drinks it was kind of let down. It's beautiful place and you can tell they put a lot of attention to detail so it's too bad they didn't put enough attention to the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014The staff screwed up our order--brought 1 dish when we ordered two. When the food came, the gnocchi was not fully cooked; one dish after the other. They gave us an extra glass of wine at the end for messing up our order. I came here about 9 months ago and the food was good. Then I came about 1 month ago and the food was worse than I had remembered it. And now, the third time, the food was worse than the second time I came. We will not be coming back.
- A Fair Meal and ExperienceAndrewVIPDined on 7/29/2014Our first time and we will not be back. The food was only fair, much of it completely unseasoned. The service was equally mediocre - slow to acknowledge we had arrived at the table, so to take an order, slow to bring a glass of water, slow to bring out food, bad advice on wine. We should have gone to one of our favorites that was within view of this place. We will not be going back!
- myjoyDined on 7/27/2014Pleasant, but noisy. They need to improve their Bloody Mary mix.Special Features:
- Expecting moreAnaBananaVIPDined on 7/19/2014For such a great ambience and flare...the food was mediocre. I have been there many times and only had appetizers and cocktails - was always consistent Maybe a place for great cocktails and small plates only....Special Features:
- great!KSaxVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have been to cafe Tallulah a few times but not for a while. We cant remember why it had been so long since our last visit. The food has always been good. Their branzino is AMAZING. Staff is friendly and professional. In the past there have been longer waits. Maybe bc it is summer time that wasnt an issue. Great date night and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewNeighbor1OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Had to send my quiche back. It was at room temperature. Too bad, I'd hoped for better.
- Fifty Dollar FailureFoodie4thoughtDined on 7/10/2014Although my friend said he had heard good things about this restaurant, we could not concur. Hoping for a taste of France, the closest we came was the French speaking gentleman seated next to us. Nice greeting from the hostess, but a little soon to be referred to on first name basis. Offered various versions of water was a nice touch. My Croque Monsieur was a thick, brick of bread, coated with cheese centered with a tiny, basic slice of ham. The requested pomes frites were limp and greasy. My friend said his Tuna Nicoise was equally lackluster. Our server was amiable but a bit overly reserved and never fully engaging. I got the feeling she'd rather be elsewhere. This was a fifty dollar failure.
- Bistro upscaledJohnVIPDined on 7/7/2014Great ambience, but it's a bit noisy, even for a Monday evening. Service was very friendly and helpful.... and you gotta have their shrimp salad app. We had friends in from CA. The 16 year-old daughter was quite impressed, shooting every dish with her iPhone. Needless to say all the dishes were well presented. Worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- revanduwsVIPDined on 7/4/2014Our second time dining here and we were not disappointed. The cocktail hour oyster special is always a treat and we really appreciate that the chef has not tried to overload the menu. A good selection of appropriate choices, all (so far) well prepared.Special Features:
- The following 172 reviews are from the Cafe Tallulah reviews archive.
- good neighborhood diningMollyDined on 6/25/2014Pleasant atmosphere, good food at reasonable New York prices, and friendly service. Great place for Blue Point oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Croak" monsieurFoodieVIPDined on 6/23/2014I've eaten here several times and have sometimes ordered the croque monsieur. This time it was awful, Won't order that again!Special Features:
- Trendy but not overly soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014This was a nice place to have dinner before a Lincoln Center event: close enough to get there on time yet far enough to "walk off" a meal. One small quibble though. We were given an extremely small round table which made putting dishes down a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Ambience make it worth itchrispyVIPDined on 6/19/2014We've been here before; the $1 oysters during the week are a draw for us. The French Bistro food can be a little heavy on a hot day but we do like many of those dishes regardless. And they do a decent job of executing most of the menu's classic offerings. Our only complaint is with the spotty service. I think it is more due to the management of the staff than the individuals. When nobody is quite sure who our server is suppose to be, that's an indication of some poor scheduling. Coordination of getting drinks before food is also a problem. Everyone is friendly and tries hard but that does not always result in efficient service. That said, we will be back, but with a better plan to help them help us.Special Features:
- lunch at Cafe TallulahjackdocDined on 6/18/2014Service and food was above expectations. My pasta special (bow tie) was perfectly seasoned and the other salads were plentiful and looked delicious. The staff was most helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood French foodJanDVIPDined on 6/17/2014The setting is 'bistro', with nice wide windows looking out on columbus ve. The food is delicious and the service very charming and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown vibe on the UWSFoodie26Dined on 6/11/2014Gorgeous restaurant, great food, cool vibe. A cross between Balthazar, Elaine's, and Employees Only. Try the tuna tartare, tarte flambé, bouillabaisse, and steak tartare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.