3932 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90029Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cafestella.com/
- Phone: 3236660265x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Gareth Kantner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Gareth Kantner 3236660265x
A word from Cafe Stella
Authentic French brasserie and wine bar in the heart of Silverlake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Stella reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)romantic (16)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)notable wine list (8)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very pleasantLaVieDined on 9/15/2014It was a great dining experience. The mixologist bar is wonderful while you wait for your table. I would recommend getting a drink at the bar before going to the table. The drinks are wonderful and unique. The food is definitely French and well done. The only off point was the hostesse. She needed to smile a little. She made me a little akward with her stoic unmoving expression. Overwall a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwayswisechoicesDined on 9/14/2014Cafe Stella is consistently good. GREAT. Highly recommend! French food, small menu, small portions, as it should be!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth another tryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Ambience wonderful. Service delightful. Lamp chop tasty but very fatty and artichoke too peppery for me. I will give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- problematic.LyddDined on 8/30/2014when the food is done right... that & the patio are the best things. salads could be a bit more generous.Special Features:
- Consistently greatwisechoicesDined on 8/30/2014Cafe Stella always delivers! Their food is solid, delicious and the portion sizes are what they should- be NOT huge. I also love the smaller menu, but whatever is on it is always exceptional. Great desserts also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food and service. Parking was REALLY hard. We got a ticket parked on a side street. There was no parking anywhere and no valet that we could find.Special Features:
- Hip, Cool and ApproachableScottVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is a place in the midst of hipsters, but the food is good, the scene is lively and the experience is pretty good all around. I had the Sole and the portion was plentiful but the taste was a bit too mild for me. My wife had the Steak Frites, and the portion was gigantic and the meat flavorful. A few drinks of good quality and it was a good night.Special Features:
- The following 264 reviews are from the Cafe Stella reviews archive.
- The food was alright. SmallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2012The food was alright. Small selection, which surprised me b/c I assumed that there was more to french cuisine.
- Very good surprise, it's beenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012Very good surprise, it's been a long Time since I've had such a delicious filet mignon.Special Features:
- The food was good, however,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2012The food was good, however, I cannot recommend Cafe Stella because of the poor service we received.
- I expected more. Went withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2012I expected more. Went with a party of 6 and 5I of us were not imprrssed with the food. I don't mind spending money on good food, but this was not worth it.Special Features:
- French! I had the sole andLovelyDined on 8/9/2012French! I had the sole and beet salad, they were both good. Perhaps I don't have a tongue for French but it was a very nice casual restaurant, great place for catching up with friends over a nice meal.Special Features:
- There were 3 of us - The musselsJessDined on 8/6/2012There were 3 of us - The mussels were fantastic - great texture. My boyfriend had the filet mignon which was cooked perfectly and had delicious sides. I had a delicious collection of small items. Everything tasted really good and the portions made sense - we left feeling satisfied, not hungry or overly full. They had a good wine list. The ambiance is nice with nice lighting and a covered patio. I checked out the bar but didn't grab a drink there. It was a Monday night and while the restaurant wasn't overly crowded, there were a lot of diners. The staff was friendly and helpful and let us sit a long while chatting. Overall it was a great place and I would go back for sure, despite having had to travel nearly an hour in traffic to get there.Special Features:
- This resturant has it all,MeowVIPDined on 8/4/2012This resturant has it all, great food, service, drinks, and is super trendy.Special Features:
- The food and drinks (lattecatearlissVIPDined on 7/28/2012The food and drinks (latte and cappucino) were delicious. Unfortunately, service was serrendipitous and we never received two beverages we ordered. We never could spot our waitress although the space is quite small. Alls well that ends well, but do not go here if you have anywhere to be afterwards-you may have a long wait between courses and for the check.Special Features:
- Meat You Could Build a House WithOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012Cafe Stella's reputation is for a great atmosphere with OK food. However, this last visit will be my last. Both the duck confit and the steak au poivre were tough and dry. When a restaurant only has about 6 meat dishes on its menu, and they cost more than $20 each, you expect them to be fairly good (something I might not expect from a restaurant with 12 or more meat entrees listed).Special Features:
- My Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2012This is one of my favorite spots. The food is amazing (PLEASE try the pot o'chocolat - epic) the ambiance is fantastic. I always get a glass of wine here due to the fact that their wine list is great but everything they have pairs well with the food. Last time I went my boyfriend and I had the mussels and the sauce it was cooked in is insane! It was almost worth it to get just so we could dip/soak our bread in the sauce after the mussels were gone. Love Love LOVE Cafe Stella.Special Features:
- True to the French cuisine,DanPDined on 7/19/2012Big price small portions. The food was very good but overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- I have been going to CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/14/2012I have been going to Cafe Stella for numerous years now and have always loved it. I still love Cafe Stella BUT the newly bar/lounge attached to the restaurant has made the restaurant have a more busied atmosphere, it's lost some of its romantic ambience. Also, the trickling of the people from the restaurant to the bar is annoying. I don't think I would, in the future, recommend Cafe Stella to those you may want to have a quite, romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Cafe Stella has a great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2012Cafe Stella has a great vibe - if you're sitting in the patio. We were sitting inside and felt a little like we were in a closet, ignored and displaced. Get some cool lighting for a different experience when seating inside, Stella. It will serve you well. (For the price, we're paying for ambiance. And that's not happening indoors, now.)
- The mussels and wild salmonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2012The mussels and wild salmon dishes were great. the dessert- a fruit crumble dish was outstanding. We will go back. And to top it off, the service was great even though the neighborhood lost powerSpecial Features:
- Cafe StellaliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2012It's quaint and intimate and delicious. Whether you want a full French meal or just share a few apps with friends, this place makes you feel cozy and like you've left LA for a couple of weeks. When I dined there recently, the power went out (due to rain and wind), and the manager announced "We're cooking with gas, people!" and still brought us our amazing meal, served by candlelight. The waitstaff didn't look freaked out, but calm, and the other tables around us all bonded with each other over the fun the bad weather had created that night. When other restaurants might have closed, Stella took it in stride. I recommend the frisse salad with egg and lardon, and the side dish of lentils, with a bottle of red wine. So good.Special Features:
- I always make it a point toShampoolifeDined on 7/8/2012I always make it a point to eat at Cafe Stella when I am in L.A. The salmon eggs Benedict is outrageous and the mimosas are the freshest you can find.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012I love the European vibe in this restaurant and the amazing food and wine list. It is a hidden gem and i hope it says that way.Special Features:
- Ne pas francaisOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/2/2012I'v eaten here many times; I live close by and it's always been a good and fairly authentic French go-to spot. Last night changed my mind. My 2 friends and I were ready to open a bottle of French Rose on a beautiful summer night--the only rose they had was Italian--weird! I ordered the Sole-a standard on the menu--it was slightly mushy and flavorless. The side of green beans were overcooked and floating in a pool of oil or butter. The cheese selection was disappointing too. At one time, French people managed this place--I'm having my doubts now, and I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. Too expensive for mediocre.
- Perfect setting & ambience,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Perfect setting & ambience, fantastic food, swift, professional & friendly service! A real treat!Special Features:
- Cafe Stella is always a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2012Cafe Stella is always a great evening out. You take that first step inside and you're in another time and place. The staff is very attentive, and helpful. We've never had a less than great dinner here.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed Cafe Stella!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/14/2012We really enjoyed Cafe Stella! Food was good, service was appropriately non-invasive. I would give the ambiance 5 stars if it weren't for the people smoking just 'technically' outside of the patio space where I was dining with pregnant companions. It really should be non-smoking in the whole courtyard for the sake of everyone trying to enjoy their food and the environment. My only other complaint was that they didn't have many non-alcoholic beverages (water or soda only). That being said, we'll still be back for sure!Special Features:
- I will be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2012My second visit had better service but the food wasn't the greatest. I had the pasta special, which was unusual and bland. Our server was new and very sweet and nothing was a problem. Ambiance was GREAT and all round very good. I will be back.Special Features:
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/1/2012The service and food were great, and the bartender was a hoot!Special Features:
- Love Cafe Stella! My SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2012Love Cafe Stella! My Steak au Poivre was perfectly cooked and the fries were outstanding. I had to restrain myself from licking the brandy cream sauce off the plate. Excellent food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Delicious food, particularlyRevZDined on 5/13/2012Delicious food, particularly the cheese plate, tuna tartare, and creme brulee. Looking forward to going back sometime for steak and soupe a l'oignon. The only weak point for me was that our table was neglected for a while at first, but the service did improve after that.Special Features:
- Been going here since it firstAkguptaDined on 5/11/2012Been going here since it first opened. It continues to please.Special Features:
- We love Cafe Stella and haveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2012We love Cafe Stella and have been there many times over the years. The only low point of our visit this time was the erratic service.Special Features:
- I love going to Cafe Stella.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/27/2012I love going to Cafe Stella. I always feel transported to France. It is a feel-good, atmospheric place with good food and wine. Yum!Special Features:
- Lovely, whimsical and easyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2012I love this cafe, I had never been - it seemed very posh and too "hip" for me (aka: I wondered if I was cool enough to go :P ) ButI went for my birthday on a Tuesday and it was so charming and easy-going, with pretty dappled sunlight and an open(aka: non pretentious) vibe. I have very happy memories already, and have only been once! Wonderful coffee (from Intelligentsia next door, which is just cool), and a simple and satisfying menu. The "home frie" type potatos were esp. good. I adored the atmosphere created by the plates of french pastries and little bouquets of mint, lavendar and renoculous on the tables, fresh from Gilly Flowers, no doubt! relaxed and pretty without trying hard to be.Special Features:
- Can't speak for lunch andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2012Can't speak for lunch and dinner but the breakfast was excellent! This restaurant is a bit exxy for the other meals. I had baked eggs with spinach and goats cheese - it was perfectly cooked and SO tasty :) And the coffee comes from Intelligentsia next door - what a perfect combination.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012Had a great experience here. Great service. Escargot was amazing.Special Features:
- Three of us had brunch hereDesertSageDined on 4/21/2012Three of us had brunch here for the first time last Saturday. Menu items are creative, fresh and well constituted. I had the baked egg dish, served baked in a small iron skillet. Nice presentation with spinach and goat cheese. I enjoyed the dish, but would have preferred my egg yolks to be soft, but not knowing what to expect, I did not have the foresight to ask in advance. One of my companions had the Eggs Benedict served on crispy potato beds--it looked lovely and he quite enjoyed it. My other companion ordered the Nicoise salad, which was gorgeous. All ingredients fresh and beautiful. Our server was very nice, but could have been a bit more attentive and more informative about the menu selections.Special Features:
- 196 [4-/4] BeetSalad*,PorkRillette,cocoVIPDined on 4/18/2012196 [4-/4] BeetSalad*,PorkRillette,Soup[Garlic],StellaSalad,CoqAuVin*,DuckConfit,BreadPudding*,PotDeCreme*,Cauliflower(,SparklingWater,2GlMalbec,Sauternes)Special Features: