980 North Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spiaggiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 280-2750
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Closed December 24th and 25th, July 4th, Memorial Day, & Labor Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms seat up to 250 guests for dining. Can accommodate up to 400 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Marlee Schuster and Colleen Kookoothe (312) 280-3300x
- Entertainment: The warm setting is enhanced by a mosaic of contemporary jazz
- Cross Street: Oak Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The valet is located near 121 E. Oak street near Tod's.
$14 for up to 3 hours and $18 after 3 hours.
Additional parking is available in the One Magnificent Mile building (entrance on northwest corner of Walton and Michigan, just west of Michigan Avenue) at 120 E. Walton.
From there, the elevator can be taken up to Level 2.
A word from Cafe Spiaggia
As the more casual sibling of renowned Spiaggia, Cafe Spiaggia has come into its own as a favorite dining destination for locals and visitors alike. In an artful, warm setting featuring reproductions of 15th century Italian murals, the contemporary Cafe serves dishes reminiscent of authentic Italian sidewalk eateries and trattorias. Chicago Magazine said, “This stylish Cafe sends out lively versions of regional classics…topnotch handmade pastas, fine main courses, and the best tiramisu and ice creams in town."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Spiaggia reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)romantic (88)special occasion (79)scenic view (68)neighborhood gem (52)great for lunch (52)notable wine list (44)good for groups (15)hot spot (9)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great main course!BabylynxDined on 11/16/2014We enjoyed the gnocchi and polenta dishes. They were both very tasty and memorable. We had oysters as an apetiZer and they smelled too fishy for us. The mozzarella was ok. Overall we loved our experience and would recommend the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticBatmanDined on 11/15/2014This is my second visit to café Spiaggia. The view and the atmosphere are to die for. Low lighting and great appointments make for a very romantic setting. The food is exceptional only to be topped by their service. They make you feel special and attend to your every need. I had the Gnocchi, my second time. I know. I need to try something else on the menu but that dish is amazing! Also, an excellent wine selection. The best about ordering from the menu is that it's simple, but complete. I hate a restaurant that has an overwhelming amount of appetizers, salads, and entrees to choose from. The evening ended with their amazing Tiramisu and a Cappuccino. I can't wait to visit there again when I am in town. it will be my "Go Too" restaurant every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LynnVIPDined on 11/8/2014Worst restaurant i have been to on Open Table. Food was salty, Lukewarm and must have been from previous day, drinks too forever to arrive, service was the only thing decent. i have not been to Spiaggia but if it is rated so highly, how can this sister restaurant fare so poorly? Something must be terribly wrong with the management.
- Spiaggia reviewluv2dineDined on 11/8/2014I went here with my wife and a couple of friends. We are all from out of town (Milwaukee and Lansing specifically). The meal was incredible... like seriously unforgettably good. The only issues I had with the ambiance was the music. One moment it'd be some classic sounding old Italian song and then some random weird euro pop. Also, my server was professional and courteous but sometimes we'd be waiting a while to place orders for extra things or get the bill. It certainly was not bad.. in fact, it was excellent, just not "perfect". I try and be really picky with my 5 star reviews. Go here immediately and eat the gnocchi with boar ragu, your life will change.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent!surburbanchickDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant has been consistently excellent on all fronts over the years. The food is delicious, ambience is romantic, and service is on point.Special Features:
- Don't miss itenjoyDined on 11/7/2014A few months ago I enjoyed a Spiaggia meal in the private dining room, when the cafe was being remodelled. That was outstanding, but I was eager to try the new cafe spiaggia and I was not disappointed. The decor is soft and inviting. Service was excellent, to be expected, and our meals were all wonderful. Portions were just right. My group of three could converse easily without shouting. It's casual but very fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Cafe AtmosphereJudithLDined on 11/7/2014The gnocchi with wild boar sauce was out of this world.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014been to Cafe Spiaggia 15-20 times over the years. this will be our last visit. for a party of 5, to celebrate our daughter's birthday, service simply unacceptable on many levels throughout the evening. food just average. definitely not the Cafe Spiaggia of old. cannot recommend anymore
- Mah...DavideDined on 11/4/2014Service and location were very good, meal not so much because of not italian 100% tradition (sauces, ...)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was great ..... BUTwildwindDined on 10/30/2014Cafe Spiagia is a beautiful place to eat. The food is always good. Sometimes it is spectacular. The service is ordinarily excellent. I cannot blame our server on this occasion. She was fine. BUT the unfortunate thing is that the restaurant management decided, as they did not have very many reservations, to reduce the wait staff for the evening. They, in fact, did not even have a bar tender to mix drinks. Our server attempted. She did as well as she could. She was clearly overworked for the evening. My girlfriend took me there to celebrate my birthday. Of course we had a good time, despite the harried effort of our server. BUT it would have been more enjoyable had the restaurant staff that we are accustomed to been available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, need to improve serviceBinaVIPDined on 10/30/2014We went on a weeknight for a business dinner. The restaurant isn't too busy, so we are able to converse easily. It took a while before our waiter takes our wine/appetizer order, and more time before taking our main course order. Our waiter recommended the trout which was great. We also ordered the beef/veal bolonese which is good but slightly too salty. I have been to Cafe Spiaggia before, the food is still good but service is not as attentive as it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie 5Foodie5Dined on 10/29/2014Food and service always reliable. The view is perfect and there is no match for this wonderful lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased to recommend.gothisownDined on 10/26/2014This is a restaurant to return to many times over. Food and wine are exceptional and appropriate in cost. Suitable dinning for a variety of occasions. Your guests will be pleased.Special Features:
- Still really goodPickyeaterDined on 10/25/2014The spot has been great for decades-- what more can you ask for. Still lovely, expensive, but lovely nonethelessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lunch EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014My wife and I pride ourselves on knowing a great experience when we have it, and our lunch last week at Cafe Spiaggia was one of the best we've ever had. We decided to celebrate our 14 wedding anniversary with a lunch and it couldn't have gone better. The hostess seated us at a window overlooking the lake and our server was professional and knowledgable. Everything he recommended, from the wine, to the starters to the entrees were spot on. The food was some of the finest Italian food we've ever had and we've dined in great Italian restaurants in New York and LA. We can't wait to return to Cafe Spiaggia.Special Features:
- Great food and quiet roomLAFoodVIPDined on 10/19/2014We came on a Sunday night. The restaurant had plenty of space between tables. The appetizer and main course was good. The waiter could have been more knowledgeable about the menu and more willing to offer recommendations.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Todd70Dined on 10/18/2014Service was impeccable. We had water, bread and our drink order taken within a minute of being seated. Cozy table for 2 in front of a picture window looking out on the city. Food was great and fresh. Waiter was attentive and checked in frequently, but not in an intrusive way. Don't know what I would improve upon. Definitely reccomend it.Special Features:
- Perfect Friday night for twoannieurbanDined on 10/17/2014A childhood friend was in town for a conference. Where she would be at 6 pm kept changing. The Loop? Michigan Avenue? She'd been eating hotel food all week: I needed to take her to a "foodie" place, low on tourists, that I would enjoy, too. Spiaggia Cafe: bingo! We had the coziest table for two; the food, as always, was crazy delicious, service excellent. For a last minute choice, it delivered beyond my expectations. Thank you.Special Features:
- luvgreatfood1Dined on 10/15/2014We have dined here for the last few years on our annual trips to Chicago. The food changes with the seasons and is always delicious. Great for a quiet night out with your mate. Love It!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingflyingfoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Our meal was the most disappointing ever at either restaurant. We were greeted promptly seated at a table in the path of traffic. Our waiter was pleasant and took our drink order in a timely manner. Our appetizer arrived and was very flavorful. We waited over 20 minutes for our main course to arrive. When our main courses arrived mine was cold to the touch! We told our waiter and he took it back. When he returned with another he told me even though it was cool on the outside the inside of the pasta in the original dish was warm! Wow what an inappropriate comment and no apology! Maybe our memories and expectations were too high. Won't be recommending to our friends who recently moved to the city.
- Gnocci!RogerDined on 10/13/2014Best pasta in Chicago - especially the GNOCCI. A hidden treat - local secret. Nestled next door to the more famous Spiagga Restaurant. Easier to get reservations, intimate and just as goo.Special Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant was recommended by a Chicago friend. The food was tired and almost inedible. The calamari appetizer was greasy. The carbonara lacked any flavor. The chicken was greasy and tough. For such a "renowned" chef, it was a big disappointment.
- Best Italian In TownAlisonDined on 10/3/2014A chance to dine at Spiaggia, whether in the dining room or the Cafe, is truly a memorable experience. The food is absolutely out of this world - pastas, sauces, gnocchi all made in house. I can not say enough and will go back every time I am in Chicago. Our server was fabulous, as was every other staff person we encountered.Special Features:
- Great SpotmtbsDined on 10/3/2014Fantastic, authentic food. The staff was great and the smell when you walk in the door says it all. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tired and needs a faceliftChoobiVIPDined on 9/30/2014this place is super tired and very depressing. in dire need of a facelift. excellent service. portions are small. pricey
- Service? A DowngradeRestaurantFriendDined on 9/28/2014Cafe Spiaggia has been a favorite over the years. One can count on high level menu items, excellent service, imaginative and exquisite food. Spoiler alert: a sad downgrade. Service needs massive retraining, for example: each time water was poured, it would be splashed over the table for each of us. At one point, the bus person was so oblivious we out our napkins on the table to sop up the water. It happened 3x. When our appetizer salads were served, the waiter.server tipped the plate so that the salad (caprese) slid down the plate to the edge. The meticulous plating done in the kitchen was all for naught. The server was nice, friendly but unaware of how he served. this is not Spiaggia level experience, Cafe or the restaurant.Special Features:
- Spiaggia Cafe -- super!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014I took my wife to Spiaggia cafe for dinner on Friday night. The meal and the night was absolutely great. The food was excellent and the service was very good. I only wish that we had been seated at a better window to view Michigan Ave. It was my wife's birthday and she requested that we go to Spiaggia despite the fact that offered to take her to the Capital Grille. Such is her affection for the food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceJasonVIPDined on 9/26/2014Sophisticated and refined, yet still casual and comfortable. A top-flight meal from at the cafe only makes me want to dine in the main dining room that much more. Separate kitchens and menus make it a truly unique dining experience...and the gnocchi is a must. Not to mention the burrata and house cocktails. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Ambiance, Average ItalianscooterudDined on 9/25/2014Nice place. There are some tables overlooking N. Michigan Ave. The food was just ok. The fried calamari was greasy and the pasta dish I had, ravioli with heirloom tomatoes and purple basil, underwhelming. Service was decent, but nothing to write about. If I went back again, I would request a table by the window and order the boar pasta, which is their signature dish per our server.Special Features:
- Good Choice For ItalainBentonDined on 9/23/2014Unusually high standard in north side Italian, and a good quiet place for table talk. Every dish our foursome ordered this visit was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionMOR1VIPDined on 9/23/2014Went here on a Tuesday night for a friend's birthday. Split the burrata app (so delish), an arugula salad with amazing grilled peaches and cacio e pepe pasta, with what seemed like homemade noodles. Everything was perfectly portioned and so tasty! Will def be going back!Special Features:
- delicious and friendlychachyDined on 9/23/2014A VERY NICE RESTAURANT, EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS WITH THE PERFECT SIZE, I FELT AT HOME, VERY KIND THE HOSTESS AND THE WAITERS,I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt rushedGumboDined on 9/22/2014Ambience was great and my husband and I were looking forward to enjoying our last night in chicago at this quaint little restaurant. It was a Monday night so it was not busy. Our salads came out within 3 minutes of placing our order which suggested to me they were pre-made. Entrees quickly followed once our salad plates were lifted. My husband was going to order a second cocktail but there was no time; we were in and out in one hour after feeling rushed out. We decided to get desert elsewhere. Too bad for the restaurant, they missed out on a bigger alcohol bill and desert orders. Prompt service is one thing but it ruined the vibe of what should have been a nice long romantic dinner.Special Features:
- travelbratDined on 9/20/2014Food, wine and service were outstanding. My dining partner and I shared the boar's head gnocchi, meatballs and trout. My only disappointment was the green beans. O.K. but not up to the quality of the rest of the offerings. It was our first time but it won't be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Italian FareCidaliseVIPDined on 9/19/2014A friend recommended Spiaggia and I by mistake picked the cafe. Turns out it was a great mistake with easy cosy ambiance and delightful helpful waitstaff. This was our first trip to Chicago. It will not be our last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rlewis1944Dined on 9/19/2014We are return customers..our go-to restaurant when visiting Chicago..(we were there for the art show ExpoChicago).Special Features:
- foodvsserviceDined on 9/18/2014We LOVE this restaurant and usually have great service, don't know if it was a off night but our appetizer didn't come until our salads and after a reminder at which point we didn't want but received anyway. Our wine was presented while we were enjoying our cocktail which made our party feel rushed which we shouldn't have to feel since there were open tables when we arrived and left. Not what we expect from this venue and hope that we don't again because the food is excellent!Special Features:
- GourmetrskozDined on 9/17/2014Everything about this place was fantastic...service, wine, food, atmosphere, location, everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite meal in ChicagoCarpeDiemDined on 9/17/2014Excellent meal, presentation and service. We would have liked to try the main restaurant, but misunderstood our hostess. We had an early evening reservation so were one of the only tables and would have liked a window view--most of the window seats are two tops it appeared. The service was great, the food excellent and we would return again!Special Features:
- PoorNNSKDined on 9/17/2014Poor service and food quality. For the cost, had expected better service and significantly better food.