980 North Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spiaggiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3122802750x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Closed December 24th and 25th, July 4th, Memorial Day, & Labor Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms seat up to 250 guests for dining. Can accommodate up to 400 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Marlee Schuster and Colleen Kookoothe (312) 280-3300x
- Entertainment: The warm setting is enhanced by a mosaic of contemporary jazz
- Cross Street: Oak Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Discounted parking is available for Cafe Spiaggia in the One Magnificent Mile building (entrance on northwest corner of Walton and Michigan, just west of Michigan Avenue) at 120 East Walton St. From there, the elevator can be taken up to Level 2. An additional parking option is located in the building directly across the street at 1000 N Lake Shore Drive.
A word from Cafe Spiaggia
As the more casual sibling of renowned Spiaggia, Cafe Spiaggia has come into its own as a favorite dining destination for locals and visitors alike. In an artful, warm setting featuring reproductions of 15th century Italian murals, the contemporary Cafe serves dishes reminiscent of authentic Italian sidewalk eateries and trattorias. Chicago Magazine said, “This stylish Cafe sends out lively versions of regional classics…topnotch handmade pastas, fine main courses, and the best tiramisu and ice creams in town."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Spiaggia reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)romantic (100)special occasion (86)scenic view (79)great for lunch (55)neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (50)good for groups (15)hot spot (10)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Service? A DowngradeRestaurantFriendDined on 9/28/2014Cafe Spiaggia has been a favorite over the years. One can count on high level menu items, excellent service, imaginative and exquisite food. Spoiler alert: a sad downgrade. Service needs massive retraining, for example: each time water was poured, it would be splashed over the table for each of us. At one point, the bus person was so oblivious we out our napkins on the table to sop up the water. It happened 3x. When our appetizer salads were served, the waiter.server tipped the plate so that the salad (caprese) slid down the plate to the edge. The meticulous plating done in the kitchen was all for naught. The server was nice, friendly but unaware of how he served. this is not Spiaggia level experience, Cafe or the restaurant.Special Features:
- Spiaggia Cafe -- super!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014I took my wife to Spiaggia cafe for dinner on Friday night. The meal and the night was absolutely great. The food was excellent and the service was very good. I only wish that we had been seated at a better window to view Michigan Ave. It was my wife's birthday and she requested that we go to Spiaggia despite the fact that offered to take her to the Capital Grille. Such is her affection for the food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceJasonVIPDined on 9/26/2014Sophisticated and refined, yet still casual and comfortable. A top-flight meal from at the cafe only makes me want to dine in the main dining room that much more. Separate kitchens and menus make it a truly unique dining experience...and the gnocchi is a must. Not to mention the burrata and house cocktails. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Ambiance, Average ItalianscooterudDined on 9/25/2014Nice place. There are some tables overlooking N. Michigan Ave. The food was just ok. The fried calamari was greasy and the pasta dish I had, ravioli with heirloom tomatoes and purple basil, underwhelming. Service was decent, but nothing to write about. If I went back again, I would request a table by the window and order the boar pasta, which is their signature dish per our server.Special Features:
- Good Choice For ItalainBentonDined on 9/23/2014Unusually high standard in north side Italian, and a good quiet place for table talk. Every dish our foursome ordered this visit was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionMOR1VIPDined on 9/23/2014Went here on a Tuesday night for a friend's birthday. Split the burrata app (so delish), an arugula salad with amazing grilled peaches and cacio e pepe pasta, with what seemed like homemade noodles. Everything was perfectly portioned and so tasty! Will def be going back!Special Features:
- delicious and friendlychachyDined on 9/23/2014A VERY NICE RESTAURANT, EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS WITH THE PERFECT SIZE, I FELT AT HOME, VERY KIND THE HOSTESS AND THE WAITERS,I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt rushedGumboDined on 9/22/2014Ambience was great and my husband and I were looking forward to enjoying our last night in chicago at this quaint little restaurant. It was a Monday night so it was not busy. Our salads came out within 3 minutes of placing our order which suggested to me they were pre-made. Entrees quickly followed once our salad plates were lifted. My husband was going to order a second cocktail but there was no time; we were in and out in one hour after feeling rushed out. We decided to get desert elsewhere. Too bad for the restaurant, they missed out on a bigger alcohol bill and desert orders. Prompt service is one thing but it ruined the vibe of what should have been a nice long romantic dinner.Special Features:
- travelbratDined on 9/20/2014Food, wine and service were outstanding. My dining partner and I shared the boar's head gnocchi, meatballs and trout. My only disappointment was the green beans. O.K. but not up to the quality of the rest of the offerings. It was our first time but it won't be our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Italian FareCidaliseDined on 9/19/2014A friend recommended Spiaggia and I by mistake picked the cafe. Turns out it was a great mistake with easy cosy ambiance and delightful helpful waitstaff. This was our first trip to Chicago. It will not be our last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rlewis1944Dined on 9/19/2014We are return customers..our go-to restaurant when visiting Chicago..(we were there for the art show ExpoChicago).Special Features:
- foodvsserviceDined on 9/18/2014We LOVE this restaurant and usually have great service, don't know if it was a off night but our appetizer didn't come until our salads and after a reminder at which point we didn't want but received anyway. Our wine was presented while we were enjoying our cocktail which made our party feel rushed which we shouldn't have to feel since there were open tables when we arrived and left. Not what we expect from this venue and hope that we don't again because the food is excellent!Special Features:
- GourmetrskozDined on 9/17/2014Everything about this place was fantastic...service, wine, food, atmosphere, location, everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite meal in ChicagoCarpeDiemDined on 9/17/2014Excellent meal, presentation and service. We would have liked to try the main restaurant, but misunderstood our hostess. We had an early evening reservation so were one of the only tables and would have liked a window view--most of the window seats are two tops it appeared. The service was great, the food excellent and we would return again!Special Features:
- PoorNNSKDined on 9/17/2014Poor service and food quality. For the cost, had expected better service and significantly better food.
- Amazing Italian FoodFoodie123Dined on 9/13/2014As foodies, we were extremely impressed with every part of our meal. The bread, the appetizer, the salad, the main course and the dessert (I said we were foodies) were all incredibly delicious. Quite possibly the best Italian food we have ever tasted. The wine list was impressive but we went with cocktails and we were of course blown away by that as well. Our server was friendly, attentive and was able to make excellent recommendations when asked. If we return to Chicago, this is definitely on our list of places to eat at again.Special Features:
- ImpeccableTALLDined on 9/13/2014Everything about this restaurant was first class...from the service to the decor. The food was beautifully presented and so tasty. A great little niche to escape the hustle and bustle of Chicago for an hour or so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and food!fromCTDined on 9/12/2014Charming waiter, good food and fabulous view with reasonable prices... will be back next time in Chicago..Special Features:
- Too SmalllackingDined on 9/12/2014I thought I had booked a reservation at the main restrurant and did not know until I got there. Service was very slow and it lacked ambiance.Special Features:
- hopeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Delicious arugala salad. My friends enjoyed the gnocchi.
- Good choiceconnieDined on 9/11/2014The service was excellent, the food was delicious and prepared fresh with the right amount of seasoning. We will make it our first choice whenever we return to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visitSRDuncanDined on 9/9/2014This was our second visit to Cafe Spiaggia in 3 months. We enjoyed the table overlooking Michigan Avenue. Service is excellent, quiet, professional, attentive but not obtrusive. The food was delicious, I had the gnocchi with wild boar ragout, perfect portion size, delicate and delicious. My daughter had black ink pasta with crab, which she really enjoyed. Excellent coffee/cappuccino. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Tried both the cafe and restaurant and absolutely loved the cafe, wonderful food, drinks and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food!thepupDined on 9/7/2014This was our last dinner while in Chicago and the food was delicious. We had the meatballs and the caprese salad as a starter, they were both great, especially the meatballs. We split two half orders of pasta plus the pork chop for dinner and both were awesome! Prices were reasonable for the quality of food that was delivered. Our waiter was attentive and efficient, service was great overall.Special Features:
- Great food with super locationHopeDined on 9/5/2014Food was prepared perfectly..pasta was al dente. Price was good for the food, ambiance and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itwaldmkaVIPDined on 9/5/2014There were 2 couples and we all really enjoyed our meals. I can only imagine how good Spiaggia would be if the Cafe was this delicious!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2014My trout was somewhat disappointing, even though it had originally caught my eye and was raved about by the waitress. There was far more garnish than fish. It was almost hard to find on the plate.Special Features:
- ABABVIPDined on 9/3/2014Burrata, zucchini, and a sparkling rose created a lovely array to begin our dinner from the unique vantage point of the lake, beach, shops, and street. The meatballs are always delicious. And, the porkchop entree was a tasty medley of savory and sweet flavors. One of the best restaurants to frequent in the neighborhood.
- Evening dinnerShowme86VIPDined on 8/31/2014We have been coming here for years and have yet to be disappointed. The food is wonderful. The wait staff are attentive and friendly. We love the remodel at both restaurants. We will back for more.Special Features:
- Inconsistent quality.PattyVIPDined on 8/30/2014I was surprised and disappointed that two of the four entrees ordered for my table had to be returned to the kitchen (a dried-out looking trout and a totally under-cooked pasta dish). However, the replacement pastas were exquisite, as were the other two original entrees (both pastas). I want to give Cafe Spiaggia a second chance, but I'd rather not have had a disappointing first chance.Special Features:
- TiredOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Food much improved since we last dined but thought restaurant was renovated so decided to try again. Service not good, especially for a restaurant so empty. Décor tired and walk into restaurant not pleasant.
- Family dinnerAdamDined on 8/24/2014Went there with wife and two teenage children on Sunday evening. The service was excellent- the waiter had a nice sense of humor and very helpful in explaining plates and making recommendations. The food was excellent. Atmosphere was relaxed and the noise level was low to moderate allowing us to have nice conversation and enjoy the evening.Special Features:
- So disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Have eaten here several times. This time the food was meager, tasteless and over-priced. My husband and I were entertaining friends from Europe and I was embarrassed. I didn't say anything but we won't be back.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Bar at the Cafe was very accommodating. Meal was excellent and service just right. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole dining experience here. Highly recommend this restaurant. Did not have a good experience in the bar at Spaggia Restaurant the same night. Too stuffy, condescending, and poorly made expensive drinks.Special Features:
- Overprice Classic Italian cuisinecdionDined on 8/21/2014We went to this cafe with much hype and expectations. We ended-up being quite disappointed. The entrees were the best part of the meal. Very tasty but in the end quite conventional for Italian cuisine. Then, for the main dishes, it all fell apart. The pork chop, which was recommended as one of the best dish, was a very large piece of meat, not well cooked (not tender) on a very little amount of polenta. That was it. The trout had very little taste and was served whole, not very appetizing. The wine list only has Italian wine (bizarre for such a renouned cafe). My biggest issue was the price quality ratio which is not good. Overpriced for a meal that was not innovative and not very tasty.
- There are other great lunch optionsFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/21/2014This expensive luncheon jewel has become more affordable, but now there's nothing to eat. Our recent lunch was disappointing ... tiny bits of rock hard peaches and little tasteless buratas adorned a heaping mound of arugula, bread plate was unappealing save for three wafer thin crackers, which were never replaced when they were gone. Pizzas were larger than we remembered but were lacking in tasty toppings, which provided us the requisite bread for the meal, but at quite a hefty price. Coffee was bitter and was served sloshed into the saucers. I have sworn by Tony Matuano (sic) since I moved to Chicago in 1987, but I think he needs to spend some time in the cafe kitchen -- overseeing the quality of his food and/or reworking his menu.
- Not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/20/2014Over the years we would enjoy the Cafe as a less pricey alternative to Spiaggia. At some point some time ago they made a decision to change the menu and pricing and we wandered off. After reading about the "new" renovation we went back with a daughter who was in town (she was engaged to her husband at dinner in spiaggia some time ago) and ended up in the back of the room with a louder group next to us. The food was very good as usual, the service didn't seem up to par on a not so busy night--had to ask to have our white wine chilled--and the room seemed dark. Overall, didn't quite match the memory!Special Features:
- BigguyVIPDined on 8/18/2014One of the finest lunch stops in Chicago. A tremendous time.Special Features:
- JaneVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a marvelous time -- the arugula salad was delicious with grilled peaches, the trout entry was simply out-of- this world (the delicate fish was stuffed with fine bits of lemon and arugula). We will return soon!! JaneSpecial Features:
- Awesome Italian ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014This restaurant is outstanding. The layout makes for several very intimate eating areas, with a great ambiance. Food is delicious, although the menu is mostly in Italian, so prepare to ask questions.Special Features: