980 North Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spiaggiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3122802750x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Closed December 24th and 25th, July 4th, Memorial Day, & Labor Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms seat up to 250 guests for dining. Can accommodate up to 400 guests for receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Marlee Schuster and Colleen Kookoothe (312) 280-3300x
- Entertainment: The warm setting is enhanced by a mosaic of contemporary jazz
- Cross Street: Oak Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Discounted parking is available for Cafe Spiaggia in the One Magnificent Mile building (entrance on northwest corner of Walton and Michigan, just west of Michigan Avenue) at 120 East Walton St. From there, the elevator can be taken up to Level 2. An additional parking option is located in the building directly across the street at 1000 N Lake Shore Drive.
A word from Cafe Spiaggia
As the more casual sibling of renowned Spiaggia, Cafe Spiaggia has come into its own as a favorite dining destination for locals and visitors alike. In an artful, warm setting featuring reproductions of 15th century Italian murals, the contemporary Cafe serves dishes reminiscent of authentic Italian sidewalk eateries and trattorias. Chicago Magazine said, “This stylish Cafe sends out lively versions of regional classics…topnotch handmade pastas, fine main courses, and the best tiramisu and ice creams in town."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Spiaggia reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)romantic (93)special occasion (78)scenic view (74)great for lunch (54)notable wine list (49)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (14)hot spot (10)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Amazing Italian FoodFoodie123Dined on 9/13/2014As foodies, we were extremely impressed with every part of our meal. The bread, the appetizer, the salad, the main course and the dessert (I said we were foodies) were all incredibly delicious. Quite possibly the best Italian food we have ever tasted. The wine list was impressive but we went with cocktails and we were of course blown away by that as well. Our server was friendly, attentive and was able to make excellent recommendations when asked. If we return to Chicago, this is definitely on our list of places to eat at again.Special Features:
- ImpeccableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Everything about this restaurant was first class...from the service to the decor. The food was beautifully presented and so tasty. A great little niche to escape the hustle and bustle of Chicago for an hour or so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and food!fromCTDined on 9/12/2014Charming waiter, good food and fabulous view with reasonable prices... will be back next time in Chicago..Special Features:
- Too SmalllackingDined on 9/12/2014I thought I had booked a reservation at the main restrurant and did not know until I got there. Service was very slow and it lacked ambiance.Special Features:
- hopeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Delicious arugala salad. My friends enjoyed the gnocchi.
- Good choiceconnieDined on 9/11/2014The service was excellent, the food was delicious and prepared fresh with the right amount of seasoning. We will make it our first choice whenever we return to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visitSRDuncanDined on 9/9/2014This was our second visit to Cafe Spiaggia in 3 months. We enjoyed the table overlooking Michigan Avenue. Service is excellent, quiet, professional, attentive but not obtrusive. The food was delicious, I had the gnocchi with wild boar ragout, perfect portion size, delicate and delicious. My daughter had black ink pasta with crab, which she really enjoyed. Excellent coffee/cappuccino. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Tried both the cafe and restaurant and absolutely loved the cafe, wonderful food, drinks and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food!thepupDined on 9/7/2014This was our last dinner while in Chicago and the food was delicious. We had the meatballs and the caprese salad as a starter, they were both great, especially the meatballs. We split two half orders of pasta plus the pork chop for dinner and both were awesome! Prices were reasonable for the quality of food that was delivered. Our waiter was attentive and efficient, service was great overall.Special Features:
- Great food with super locationHopeDined on 9/5/2014Food was prepared perfectly..pasta was al dente. Price was good for the food, ambiance and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itwaldmkaVIPDined on 9/5/2014There were 2 couples and we all really enjoyed our meals. I can only imagine how good Spiaggia would be if the Cafe was this delicious!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2014My trout was somewhat disappointing, even though it had originally caught my eye and was raved about by the waitress. There was far more garnish than fish. It was almost hard to find on the plate.Special Features:
- ABABVIPDined on 9/3/2014Burrata, zucchini, and a sparkling rose created a lovely array to begin our dinner from the unique vantage point of the lake, beach, shops, and street. The meatballs are always delicious. And, the porkchop entree was a tasty medley of savory and sweet flavors. One of the best restaurants to frequent in the neighborhood.
- Evening dinnerShowme86VIPDined on 8/31/2014We have been coming here for years and have yet to be disappointed. The food is wonderful. The wait staff are attentive and friendly. We love the remodel at both restaurants. We will back for more.Special Features:
- Inconsistent quality.PattyVIPDined on 8/30/2014I was surprised and disappointed that two of the four entrees ordered for my table had to be returned to the kitchen (a dried-out looking trout and a totally under-cooked pasta dish). However, the replacement pastas were exquisite, as were the other two original entrees (both pastas). I want to give Cafe Spiaggia a second chance, but I'd rather not have had a disappointing first chance.Special Features:
- TiredOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Food much improved since we last dined but thought restaurant was renovated so decided to try again. Service not good, especially for a restaurant so empty. Décor tired and walk into restaurant not pleasant.
- Family dinnerAdamDined on 8/24/2014Went there with wife and two teenage children on Sunday evening. The service was excellent- the waiter had a nice sense of humor and very helpful in explaining plates and making recommendations. The food was excellent. Atmosphere was relaxed and the noise level was low to moderate allowing us to have nice conversation and enjoy the evening.Special Features:
- So disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Have eaten here several times. This time the food was meager, tasteless and over-priced. My husband and I were entertaining friends from Europe and I was embarrassed. I didn't say anything but we won't be back.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Bar at the Cafe was very accommodating. Meal was excellent and service just right. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole dining experience here. Highly recommend this restaurant. Did not have a good experience in the bar at Spaggia Restaurant the same night. Too stuffy, condescending, and poorly made expensive drinks.Special Features:
- Overprice Classic Italian cuisinecdionDined on 8/21/2014We went to this cafe with much hype and expectations. We ended-up being quite disappointed. The entrees were the best part of the meal. Very tasty but in the end quite conventional for Italian cuisine. Then, for the main dishes, it all fell apart. The pork chop, which was recommended as one of the best dish, was a very large piece of meat, not well cooked (not tender) on a very little amount of polenta. That was it. The trout had very little taste and was served whole, not very appetizing. The wine list only has Italian wine (bizarre for such a renouned cafe). My biggest issue was the price quality ratio which is not good. Overpriced for a meal that was not innovative and not very tasty.
- There are other great lunch optionsFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/21/2014This expensive luncheon jewel has become more affordable, but now there's nothing to eat. Our recent lunch was disappointing ... tiny bits of rock hard peaches and little tasteless buratas adorned a heaping mound of arugula, bread plate was unappealing save for three wafer thin crackers, which were never replaced when they were gone. Pizzas were larger than we remembered but were lacking in tasty toppings, which provided us the requisite bread for the meal, but at quite a hefty price. Coffee was bitter and was served sloshed into the saucers. I have sworn by Tony Matuano (sic) since I moved to Chicago in 1987, but I think he needs to spend some time in the cafe kitchen -- overseeing the quality of his food and/or reworking his menu.
- Not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/20/2014Over the years we would enjoy the Cafe as a less pricey alternative to Spiaggia. At some point some time ago they made a decision to change the menu and pricing and we wandered off. After reading about the "new" renovation we went back with a daughter who was in town (she was engaged to her husband at dinner in spiaggia some time ago) and ended up in the back of the room with a louder group next to us. The food was very good as usual, the service didn't seem up to par on a not so busy night--had to ask to have our white wine chilled--and the room seemed dark. Overall, didn't quite match the memory!Special Features:
- BigguyVIPDined on 8/18/2014One of the finest lunch stops in Chicago. A tremendous time.Special Features:
- JaneVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a marvelous time -- the arugula salad was delicious with grilled peaches, the trout entry was simply out-of- this world (the delicate fish was stuffed with fine bits of lemon and arugula). We will return soon!! JaneSpecial Features:
- Awesome Italian ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014This restaurant is outstanding. The layout makes for several very intimate eating areas, with a great ambiance. Food is delicious, although the menu is mostly in Italian, so prepare to ask questions.Special Features:
- DeliciousRASeatsDined on 8/15/2014Fresh and delicious food with great atmosphere. Second time to eat here and it doesn't disappoint. Staff is attentive but doesn't react to your every sip of water. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014I took a friend earlier in the week and enjoyed it so much, I insisted my husband try it out too. The thing is, food is only one part of any dining experience. The menu isn't the most adventurous, but the food is well-prepared and the ability to talk to each other (even crowded, the noise level is muted) makes it a jewel. The service is also good without being fussy. We have been looking for a reliable place we can take out-of-town guests and now we've found it.Special Features:
- Cute spotDine4lunchDined on 8/14/2014The food was fantastic. Service was also spectacular. Small cozy tables make it perfect for romantic dining. The homemade gnocchi was out of this world. Be sure to save room for the Italian doughnuts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceDFoodiDined on 8/13/2014Upon arrival the host who greeted us was very friendly. I loved the fact that I was just as welcome in my sandals, shorts, and Tommy Bahama as the guy in a suit. We had made a table reservation but decided to eat at the bar. The bartender (forgot her name) was very friendly and social. We shared 2 apps--the ricotta and a pork terrine. Both were exceptional. We each chose a pasta as a main. My Bolognese was excellent and prepared as authentic as you can get. My wife's dish--Tagliatelle w/ Hamachi--not so great. The fish was overcooked and dry, and the sauce was so lemony it made you pucker. A disappointment for sure. It was still a great experience, and we will be back to try again. The 3-stars for food was only because of the one dish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Service was very very good and friendly, and food was very delicious. If we go to Chicago again, we will go to Cafe Spiaggia!! We will recommend Cafe Spiaggia for my Tokyo's friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/12/2014I took a friend there for lunch for the first time earlier in the week and enjoyed it so much, I am going back with my husband this weekend. The menu isn't very imaginative but the food is very well prepared and the quiet, unobtrusive service makes it a great place to have a meal. You can actually have a conversation, which isn't something you can say for most of the trendy places in Chicago.Special Features:
- Great find!jlasmDined on 8/11/2014Found Cafe Spiaggia staying downtown, great location and best romance ever! The waiter was pleasant and prompt, drinks perfect and meal tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, a bit saltyJanleaDined on 8/10/2014Atmosphere is romantic. Service is personal and attentive. Foor was good but a bit salty. We had caprese salad that was very good. The crackers served with the bread were delicious bits of raw thin pasta dough spread with olive oil and cheese, then baked. We had gnocchi with wild boar meat and trout covered with mushrooms and flash fried baby artichokes. Both were good but too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Wedding lunch!LIVEtoEATDined on 8/10/20142nd visit in same weekend as a foodie friend wanted to go and we had already been. They accommodated us close to closing time on Thursday evening. Had salads (beets & asparagus) & pasta. Everyone happy! Sunday lunch - same salads again. Shared a pasta (w/ pesto & potato) so everyone could taste and then pizzas. Margarita - excellent. Funghi - too salty but they took it off the bill. Excellent place. Everyone was very nice. No snobbery! Only complaint was that the 'cheap' red wine on the menu ($42) was terrible on Thursday night. Tasted like perfume. Our experience is that any good restaurant's lowest priced wine is still very good.Special Features:
- RoostVIPDined on 8/9/2014Informative, pleasant service. Spicy carpaccio and trout were lovely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- flawless ItalianCharmCityEaterVIPDined on 8/8/2014The name "Cafe" is a little misleading, as this is truly a fine-dining establishment. The check will be more modest than if you dined at Spiaggia, but the food is every bit as well-thought-out, expertly prepared and authentically Italian. In a true Cafe, the selection would be smaller, the portions slightly larger and a bichette would be available for a few Euros (aka $5-6 vs $13 for a 5 oz pour.) If you're out to impress, as I was, you'll succeed at Cafe Spiaggia.Special Features:
- DisappointedTnttownVIPDined on 8/6/2014The evening started off rough when my h and I were seated next to (I could have touched them) a party with 9 children of which at 1/2 were 5 or under. We were accommodated when we asked to move. The service was spotty probably because the bartender was sent home because it was a slow night which had our waiter making drinks and waiting tables. When bread was brought to our table he did not ask us if we wanted pepper or cheese for our oil although we heard him ask an adjacent table later in our meal. No cheese was offered with our pasta. The food was decent but not worth the inconvenience we experienced. I really wanted to like Cafe Spaggia but this was not what I expected. I'm not a complainer normally, look at my other reviews.
- First visitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2014First visit to Cafe but not my last I hope! Food excellent along with service & ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ItalianTodinerDined on 8/1/2014Went for dinner on a Friday night. Situated on the second floor of an office building. Somewhat of a small space but a romantic vibe. The food was excellent. Shared the meatballs and the caprese salad, which were both excellent. We all ordered pasta which was very flavourful and good portions. The flavours were perfection. Service was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Evening!Kit123Dined on 8/1/2014Our group of 4 dined here on a Friday night. Not too busy. The beef carpaccio was beautifully presented and was a taste hit. Three of us had nduja on the server's advice. We have never had such good Calabrian sausage and the dandelion honey elevated this appetizer to another level. Two of us loved the Berkshire pork chops. Our friends chose pasta mains. The ravioli was excellent and the spaghettone was very good until he had a taste of the ravioli, which he liked better. Great wine choices and it was quiet enough that conversation was able to take place without raising our voices. Very pretty little restaurant. Good alternative to big sister Spiaggia.Special Features: