212 North Evergreen
Memphis, TN 38112Neighborhood:
Midtown / Cooper
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafesocietymemphis.com/
- Phone: 901-722-2177
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:;00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Cullen Kent
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Café Society hosts many rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and business functions.
- Private Party Contact: Leslie Gattuso 901-722-2177
- Special Events: Cafe Society hosts monthly wine tastings the last Tuesday of every month. Sample 6 wines with cheese pairings for $25 per person plus tax and gratuity. For your dining pleasure we offer $5 small plates as well as the regular dinner menu. Space is limited so call 722.2177 for reservations. Online reservations not accepted.
A word from Cafe Society
Celebrating 20 plus years in business, Michel Leny first opened Café Society in 1987, inspired by his father Maurice Leny, a Chef at Maxim's in Paris. October 2007 welcomed new owner, Chef Cullen Kent, graduate of Le Cordon Bleu in Paris. Cullen and Michel continue the tradition of International cuisine emphasizing Belgian influences and classic French food. Located in the heart of the beautiful Evergreen Historic District in Midtown Memphis, Café Society features innovative preparations of fresh seafood, veal, lamb and beef along with an extensive wine list for your dining pleasure. With its casual dining and bistro atmosphere, Café Society is affectionately known to many Memphians as simply "Café" and continues to be a favorite of many of its midtown neighbors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Cafe Society - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Cooper ›
Cafe Society reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (21)fit for foodies (19)romantic (18)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (7)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- RomanticIluvcookiesDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant provides a wonderful atmosphere for a romantic night out. We were greeted at the door with warm smiles. The food was delicious from beginning to end. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014Flavor and taste was excellent but the seabass I had was a little overdone on the edges. Goat cheese appetizer was great. I had written down that it was my husbands birthday but nobody said anything. Most restaurants will mention it at least if I put it in the notes through Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingkingsway807Dined on 9/26/2014Food is superb. The owner is always available and walks around to greet guests. He's a perfect host. Our waiter this time was not as attentive as others have been.Special Features:
- Cafe SocietyCowboyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Café Society is the hot spot on Evergreen. We got there early and the place was beginning to fill up. Our server Colby was spot on and got our food to us HOT. Michelle, don't know the French male spelling, was especially inviting and enjoyable. The food is always good and we enjoy our occasional trips to midtown.Special Features:
- LoveangieDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful evening! Great food! We will be back! Thank you Cafe Society.Special Features:
- Love this placeMemphianDined on 9/12/2014Each and every time we eat here the service is supurb and the food is outstanding. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for ConversationHoosierDined on 9/10/2014Good place for lunch and talking. Always willing to accommodate your requests.Special Features:
- jalexsrVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is always a nice place and good quiet meal. Food is consistently good. Service is just right. It is not a coincidence it has been around and popular for a long timeSpecial Features:
- disappointmentMKleinDined on 8/22/2014I thought of Cafe Society as a 'special' lunch spot but I was so disappointed with my last visit that I no longer think that. I ordered the seafood bisque. It was very salty and the only recognizable seafood were small bits of fish. My guest, who is vegetarian, asked the server what her suggestions were. First she recommended the salmon (for a vegetarian!) and then simply said a salad and vegetable plate were available. The server made no attempt whatsoever to accommodate my guest's requests. When our check arrived, the amount charged for the bisque was (just $1) more than the price on the menu. I pointed that out to the server who made no apology --- just took the check & returned it with the lower price. It was not a pleasant experience.
- Well DoneRickDined on 8/19/2014Food was excellent as was the service. Outgoing waitress who was very helpful. Friendly atmosphere and nice neighborhood facility. Excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatReelfootDined on 8/19/2014Best steak in town. 4 star service without the stuffy atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as alwaysScottsDined on 8/12/2014Cafe Society is a special occasion place for my wife and I. But that's because it really makes it special. We had a wonderful dinner, dessert was fantastic, and the waiter recommended a perfect wine for the evening. Cafe Society is a great, intimate restaurant.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyable eveninglove2dineoutDined on 8/9/2014The food, service, and ambiance were all outstanding. Already planning a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfulSuziinTNVIPDined on 7/24/2014As one of our favorite restaurants in the city, Café Society never fails to please. You can come here with groups, (large or small), and you can dine alone and feel special. It was a quiet evening this night, and I enjoyed the food, service and my book! Try the St. Pear Sizzle martini!! All the menu items are great. Just depends on what you feel like.Special Features:
- Still a great choiceMemphisdinerDined on 7/12/2014I love this restaurant. It is still a great choice after all these years. The menu changes enough to keep it fresh, but still has some (a few) of the standbys from 20 years ago. I love that about it!Special Features:
- The Total PackageCasw33Dined on 7/11/2014The food here is great, the owner and employees were wondering. I will and have recommended eating here to many people already. I'm looking forward to making reservations again. Cafe Society really is a hidden gem in MemphisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 199 reviews are from the Cafe Society reviews archive.
- Great lunchSuziinTNVIPDined on 6/19/2014We had a great lunch here. All of the food is excellent, and the specials are really a treat. The service was just as good at lunch as it is at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jlouDined on 6/17/2014Café Society is a very special restaurant with excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinneroutDined on 6/15/2014Food was excellant as it normally is here. the service was a bit slow this particular night although it was not especially crowded. service was friendly thoughSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/12/2014I regularly schedule business lunches because it's a great atmosphere to have conversation and food is great. Midtown gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in MemphisSuziinTNVIPDined on 6/7/2014Another great meal. And while I ate alone, I didn't feel lonely as the staff was very friendly and attentive. If you like the flavor of pear, order the St Pear Sizzle Martini - you won't be disappointed. The Crème Brulee was outstanding as always. And the filet was perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014No one greeted us. We waited for more than five minutes standing at the entrance but no took notice of our arrival. We needed to find an employee just to be seated. Salad arrived before appetizer. Bread promised was not delivered until we asked for it. Salad was excellent. After that food was nicely presented but just average. Portions were generous. This used to be one of our favorite restaurants -- it did not meet our expectations on this occasion. Service was haphazard at best. Atmosphere was impersonal, cool. All-in-all we were disappointed.
- BobandMaryDined on 5/27/2014Everything was as we remembered it (favorably). The Wagyu strip steak, however, had gristle in it.Special Features:
- How did they do that??EnjoyFineFoodDined on 5/24/2014Everything we ordered was amazing. My husband and I will definitely be back, but next with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening!FoodloverDined on 5/20/2014We were pleased with everything! I look forward to a trip back soon!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerSticksEpiLogDined on 5/9/2014I made a reservation thru Open Table for my Anniversary Dinner Friday 5/9. Although we've lived in Memphis for almost 28yrs, this was our 1st time (not our last) to dine at Cafe Society. When we arrived we were greeted expectantly and promptly seated to a perfect table for 2 with a view as requested. Servers and Chef Cullen were very friendly and attentive with smiles on their faces. The food was fabulous and timely served. My wife had the Filet which was tender and prepared perfectly to medium, served with blue cheese au gratin potatoes which were delicious. I had the pan-seared grouper, over a bed of risoto which was excellent. Highly Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!TonyaDined on 5/9/2014This place is a very good lunch place. We went with my handicapped mother-in-law and they were very accommodating. The service was excellent, the ambiance was elegant but relaxing and comfortable. The history is intriguing and there are cookbooks on shelves in several places for you to peruse through if you so desire. I though that was a neat touch. Most importantly, the food was outstanding and the prices were very fair for the amount and quality of food we received.Special Features:
- Consistently lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/8/2014Had a lovely meal for an early mother's day. It's been a while since I've been to Cafe, so it was nice to try my old favorite, the bisque. It's better than I remembered. My mussels (dish du jour) were good, but I'm not a fan of carrots and the bowl was full of them. My mother's oysters Maurice were nice, too.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!KMartDined on 4/5/2014Open Table made it so easy to get a reservation within 15 minutes of when I was looking. It's a small restaurant & a nice yet casual feel. The bacon wrapped shrimp is AMAZING, as is just about anything on the menu. I had the Seafood Bisque & it was truly mouth watering. My date had the Grouper & it too was delicious. We almost ordered a 2nd round of bacon wrapped shrimp but opted for the Creme Brulee dessert. Again, creamy & delicious with a thick sugary top. There is a very good wine list as well. Highly recommend for lunch or dinner!Special Features:
- Our server was friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014Our server was friendly and helpful. We had a very nice white wine at a terrific price. The goat cheese beignets were delicious and unexpected. The Dover sole was fried in the lightest batter and I ate every bite. This restaurant is new to me as I am from out of town but I would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A week night out2tired2cookDined on 4/2/2014Cafe Society is beautifully decorated in lovely colors and relaxing atmosphere. The service was very good and Chef Cullen came out to visit. I had the Bistro menu which was delicious and reasonably priced. My husband had the scallops and we both have left overs. The soup was slightly salty but other than that, all the food was wonderful. No problem recommending this resturant to others who enjoy good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgotten gemMemphianDined on 3/27/2014I had forgotten about haw great an overall expierence this restaurant was. We have eaten here twice in 2 months and we will definitely be back. Service was outstanding. Food was spectacular. The setting was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Cullen is greatSonnyVIPDined on 3/26/2014This is our favorite neighborhood (but citywide) restaurant. Last Saturday while talking with Chef Cullen while he was on his walk-about, we mentioned my wife's birthday last Wednesday. One thing led to another and we ended up giving him carte blanche for a birthday dinner for two. It was fabulous, five courses of delight and for a very reasonable price. From now on, we may just tell him to serve us as he wishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the second time weSng2VIPDined on 3/21/2014This is the second time we have dined at Cafe Society in the past few weeks. Both times have exceeded our expectations. This most recent visit was particularly great - the fish special and the Dover meunière were outstanding - perhaps the best fish we have had in Memphis in a long time. I want to give a special shout out to our server - Brenna. She was exactly what you want - not too intrusive but attentive, very helpful with explanations, and nice but not overly chatty. When the wine we ordered was out of stock, the chef brought us a great option from his private reserve which was great. We will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchSuziinTNVIPDined on 3/19/2014We had another great lunch at Café Society. The salmon was to die for, and the daily pizza was great. Beware - it is a good size pizza - good for leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencelynwoodaDined on 3/17/2014Made the reservation 15 minutes before we arrived (early in the evening) and found the waitress preparing a lovely table for us as we walked in. Bistro menu was excellent.Special Features:
- Great space, terrible food.EatRealFood12Dined on 3/15/2014I had been looking forward to eating here for some time, and was excited about our dinner reservation despite the negative experience (also regarding the food) relayed to me by a co-worker. The restaurant is adorable and had the feel of a quaint French restaurant. I ordered a seafood stew and my husband ordered a steak (don't recall the cut). Both of our entrees were almost inedible. The stew tasted like dish water and his steak looked and tasted like boiled meat. Completely unappetizing. The service was excellent, however, so it is such a shame that the food was so terrible. We will not return.
- Love Cafe SocietySuziinTNVIPDined on 3/13/2014We go here often, and this time we went for lunch. The lunch menu is substantial and they always have a fish of the day and pizza of the day. We had the Kobe hotdog and bacon wrapped shrimp. Awesome! And don't miss the pomme frittes (French fries) - they are yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, pleasant surroundings.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/10/2014Nice weekday dinner with the wife. Three-course menu had good selections which came beautifully prepared and were delicious. Good variety of options on the menu, reasonably priced for the quality. Service was attentive and prompt. Come here to reward yourself or impress your date, you won't be disappointed. We both had the faux filet with Gorgonzola. Thought my taste buds had died and gone to heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First Visit Wont be the LastKimskiDined on 3/1/2014We had never been to Cafe Society. I took my husband there for his birthday, and it was an excellent choice. Service was good, food was amazing. The chef and the owner both stopped by our table. The owner was very friendly, and treated us to complimentary coffee to go with our dessert. I'm so glad we found this restaurant. I recommend it for special occasions, but also for a nice evening out on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.