Cafe Select - NYC
212 Lafayette St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
SwissPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Select - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeselectnyc.com/
- Phone: 2129259322x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday 8 AM-1 AM, Saturday and Sunday 9 AM-1AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, American, Swiss
- Executive Chef: Ingrid Roettele
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from Cafe Select - NYC
Cafe Select is a bistro style European restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with Swiss specialties ranging from our signature Swiss Bratwurst with Roesti to our veal Schnitzel. We also serve our classics such as our Burger, Hanger steak as well as Risotto and a variety of salads. In the winter months we serve Fondue and Raclette. If you would like Fondue or Raclette please call us to confirm. We also have an Oyster Shack & Bar in our back room behind our kitchen in the spring and summer months. To make a reservation for our Oyster Shack please visit “Cervantes’ Oyster Shack & Bar at Café Select.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Select - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (13)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (8)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014Great food great people. the best veal platter ive had in long time. great wine.Special Features:
- Rose624VIPDined on 7/6/2014The food at this restaurant was ok but I waited too long. I was almost ignored the whole time I was there. The service wasn't good. The staff and customres are all 20 somethings. I wouldn't go back or recommend it.
- Decent local spothillerleeVIPDined on 6/26/2014A little too franetic for me. Not warm amd fuzzy, charged for 2 sides of horseradish sauces for a $16 burger and only got 1 - $1 each, so not worth saying anything there -especially since it was a bit crazy. Coffee was great.
- ReginaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Good food, and a very comfortable local spot. Feels like a real downtow NY place.Special Features:
- Nice place good energy.LeoeatsDined on 5/29/2014Had a great time. Good was solid. Service was prompt. Staff was friendly. Vibe was perfect. Not pretentiousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leisurely Lunch/BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014Cafe Select is a great spot in Soho that is laid back. We made a reservation for Saturday Brunch and the hostess was incredibly accomodating in giving us a table up by the front window. It was a lovely scene, good food, good prices, good drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bucketlist New YorkBucketlistNewYorkVIPDined on 5/15/2014The quinoa salad is deceivingly delicious. It arrives and the presentation is pretty ordinary, however once you take the first bite, you can't get enough. The dressing and avocados add a special touch. Service was pretty poor when I first arrived, but by the end of the meal, a new waiter began redeeming the experience. Highly recommend for lunch if you're in the area. To see all my NYC adventures, follow on instagram: @bucketlistNYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 49 reviews are from the Cafe Select - NYC reviews archive.
- Used to love this place...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2014But not so much anymore. My husband used to live across the street and we'd go often for brunch, order delivery, and even had a birthday party in their back room. So I thought it would be a great choice for a friend's bachelorette brunch, but it seems things have changed. Service was slow and spotty. A number of us ordered dishes with avocado, but weren't told that the kitchen had run out of avocado until we found it missing from all our meals and asked. It was like they thought we might not notice. A few people also ordered starters or sides, which they decided to bring out after we'd already gotten our entrees, or not at all. They did take about $20 off the bill for the avocado, but overall with was a poor experience.Special Features:
- Want a noisy scene on a Fri night?robynkumikoDined on 4/25/2014Then Cafe Select is for you. Don't get me wrong - the service is warm and mostly attentive, the food is hearty and tasty, and they've got a better-than-average wine list, esp by the bottle. But it's a typical NoLita scene on Friday nights: narrow and crowded, 2-top tables spaced scarcely 6" from your neighbor, and filled to the absolute rafters with texting and shouting 20-somethings. Felt bad for the couples to my left and right, who were clearly trying to have a romantic dinner but were instead forced to shout above the din at the bar right behind us. It's too bad; this place looks sweet and inviting when i pass by during the day. Try it out on a Monday eve instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondue loversDoubledatesVIPDined on 4/17/2014Had classic and truffle fondue as well as other dishes in our big group dinner and everyone had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat Swissjdm45Dined on 3/30/2014Our daughter invited us to join her for Sunday lunch, saying it was a Swiss restaurant. So we looked forward to something Swiss, but were disappointed that they didn't have our favorite Swiss drink, Rivella, even though the restaurant had a big Rivella sign. Also no Swiss beer, just German brews. They did have Swiss cheese, Gruyere, which we enjoyed with an egg. I'd call the place "Swiss Lite."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service EH!MJP60VIPDined on 3/21/2014The server spoiled what might have been a very fun evening. Trying to figure out if her attitude was about 2 women dining together or the fact we were oldest people in the room. But the food was good.Special Features:
- Gem of a spotjkayDined on 2/1/2014I had brunch at the cafe and was pleasantly surprised with this little gem. It's a perfect little spot when roaming around Soho and not willing to deal with massive lines or outrageously priced menus. All the dishes were tasty, service very hospitable as we stayed a while to talk and enjoy the coffee and a small line started forming. The rosti is excellent and I don't agree with the other Yelpers who complained about the portions- I found them absolutely adequate and filling. Great choice for price and quality.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood lunch spotAndyNYCVIPDined on 1/9/2014They've got one of the best menus in the area, with great service and an awesome atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a hurry to turn tables at brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2013Our server was slow to refill coffee cups and when he finally did come around, the cups were only half filled. He wasted no time clearing our plates and coffee cups even though we weren't quite finished. The pancakes were light and airy with macerated fruit on the side. Delicious "patty" of rosti, browned on the outside and potato-y on the inside. The food was great but servers are quick to get you out of there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, attentiveAnthonyRDined on 11/23/2013Great ambience, attentive waitstaff and an intentional, unique menu!Special Features:
- DeliciousTfrawleyVIPDined on 11/20/2013So yummy. The food was awesome. wine was good. Was not too expensive.Special Features:
- Cute gemChiceatDined on 10/20/2013The food was great and unique... Decor was festive and there were lights dangling from the ceiling. Wasn't too pricey either. I loved this space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for Swiss foodFoodmaniacDined on 10/19/2013Probably one of the best Swiss restaurant in NYC, although it is definitely not the best Swiss food I ever had. Do not expect to have the traditional Swiss quality. However, the Swiss that I am loves to go there from time to time to have a small taste of home. Great decoration -especially in the "fondue room" in the back!-, a little bit overpriced, and service is not quite there. Oh and there's only Swiss wine, which is awesome!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had reservations at 5:00B2minnyDined on 10/4/2013We had reservations at 5:00 because we were seeing a show. Nobody mentioned that they don't serve food between 5:00-6:00pm. Luckily, we got there early and were able to get our order in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hamburger....not BIG ENOUGH!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/21/2013I had the truffle infused burger, which was awesome. Only wish it were bigger, although my belt was thankful it wasn't. As with many SOHO spots, space was scarce and you're involved in your neighbor's conversation, whether you like it or not. Very yummy food.Special Features:
- Disorganized TableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2013Made reservations on line. Showed up only to be told that they don't participate in "Open Table". Manager said, "No". We left with the feeling that we were not missing much anyway, and headed over to Little Italy where we finally found a restaurant that would still honor the Open Table card. Seems to be more of a problem with Open Table than with the individual restaurants.
- Please disregard my ratings!amyrVIPDined on 6/24/2013I was not able to dine at Cafe Select because when I arrived for breakfast, there was a sign on the door advising that due to some mechanical problems, they would not open until noon. I was not notified by Open Table or the restaurant beforehand.
- Nice Sunday BrunchIntTravellerDined on 4/28/2013Went for brunch on the recommendation of a waiter we know from another restaurant. The food and overall experience were really great, though the service was a little slow. But I mostly blame that on the cozy table we got in a little hide-away nook at the back of the place. Overall - well worth the trip to SoHo.Special Features:
- They have the best oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/20/2013They have the best oysters in the city by far. Every time we go back, they are amazing! And the Coral Reef drink is superb!Special Features:
- I just can't get enough ofOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013I just can't get enough of Selcect! The food is amazing, and at the cost you can't beat it. Always a great time!Special Features:
- Really tasty food, but theyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2013Really tasty food, but they brought me the worng dish garnish (they gave me salad instead of potatoes as said on the menu) i asked for the right garnish but they made me pay for the extra potatoes even when it was theyr mistake! Not very correct behavour from theyr part! :(Special Features:
- Best service I've had in years.JJFMVIPDined on 3/11/2013Best service I've had in years. Professional, knowledgeable, courteous.Special Features:
- so so...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/27/2013Very pretty place. Stylish and cool. The portions are small-ish and the brunch is so so.Special Features:
- I love Cafe Select! The rostiOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/9/2012I love Cafe Select! The rosti (Swiss hash browns) are amazing- the special w/ black forest ham and gruyere on top of them is pretty fabulous. Love the atmosphere- so Euro-cool.Special Features:
- Found this little Swiss gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012Found this little Swiss gem on a trip to the city a year ago. I came back twice this weekend it was so enjoyable! Great to have yummy food, great service and no pressure to leave excellent decor! Try the Rosti!Special Features:
- The fondue here is very tasty4thtimeVIPDined on 11/16/2012The fondue here is very tasty and there is lots of it. In fact, all the meals were pretty well portioned. I liked the food, everything was delicious, and I'll probably come back again with a few friends to get stuck into the fondue again!Special Features:
- Both the service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2012Both the service and food were great! Even though we went on a busy Sunday afternoon, the staff never once tried to push us out the door as most NYC restaurants seem to do. The crowd was very bohemian chic and it was an overall great ambiance. I really enjoyed the sandwich I got but it wasn't anything super special, very good just nothing to rave about.I would come back again and totally recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Great food and wine. Do notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012Great food and wine. Do not miss the Swiss specialties and the unique cheese plate. The hidden bar behind the kitchen is the perfect place to get a last martini after a great dinner. Definitely recommend it!
- Great food, great ambience,OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/12/2012Great food, great ambience, service could be stepped up - come and check on us rather than walk by and ignoreSpecial Features:
- Not amazing, but better than most.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2012Swiss inspired dining brought to you by a staff lacking in Swiss efficiency——the service was a bit slow. This downtown charmer has a relaxed vibe with a stylish crowd enjoying classic Alpine comfort food that pleases but doesn't quite wow. Go for the rosti, stay for the beautiful people.Special Features:
- Atrocious service. I feltOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/23/2012Atrocious service. I felt as though they were doing me a favor by refilling my coffee (which was not a free refill no less). Have not ever been compelled to write a review for any NYC restaurant in the last four years but the blasé apathetic attitude of the wait staff was far to obnoxious to go ignored. Also don't write "two eggs ANY style" on your menu if you don't allow omelettes!
- The brunch was delicious:OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2012The brunch was delicious: poached eggs over soft polenta and pancakes with raspberry compote. We sat outside and the waiter cranked the awning so that we were all in direct sunlight which was annoyingly bright and hot for us AND the other 2 outdoor tables (one table moved inside and another table decided not to stay!). Apparently the reason the waiter wouldn't crank the awning back out for shade is because the owner was sitting at the 4th outdoor table and he wanted it that way. I found it VERY STRANGE that the owner would choose his own preference over the requests of 6 of the restaurant's guests.
- Shame they dont sell friesOliviaVIPDined on 9/18/2012Shame they dont sell fries - rosti or fingerling potatoes bit pretentious when you sell burgersSpecial Features:
- I've been to Select many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/3/2012I've been to Select many times and have always enjoyed myself, as I did this past sunday when I had my birthday brunch there with a party of ten. We'd all ordered a meal and a few rounds of cocktails when a surly waitress appeared and announced that they had a cake cutting fee for plates used, etc. My boyfriend attempted to discreetly tell her that the dessert he brought in was the size of a cupcake and would only require ONE small plate, to which she responded with a few more splutters. I understand a cutting fee but to announce it to the whole table incl. bday girl, when it is obviously a celebration (balloons, AND THE ALLEGED CAKE) and the "cake" does not require cutting or more than one plate/fork is just plain rude and thoughtless.