1140 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafesecret.com/
- Phone: 8587920821
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday
7:30am - 9pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Bratzo Basagoitia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Let us cater your holiday gathering! Please call for more infomation 760.212.4338 0r 760.815.8989
A word from Cafe Secret
We are delighted to share Peruvian flavors from our childhood memories.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Secret reviews from OpenTable diners
- Small place. So, be preparedPoojaDined on 8/3/2013Small place. So, be prepared to be waited. Take your time and enjoy your dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun and differentCarlosDined on 8/2/2013Great food, moderate service and minimal bar selections. Yet food is well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Peruvian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2013If you want to taste some great Peruvian food, visit Café Secret in Del Mar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2013The food was good, but nothing we ate was particularly memorable. Tapas and ceviche portions seemed small. Entree portions were generous. The choice of using fresh yellowtail in the mixed seafood entrees did not enhance those dishes. Spicing and flavors were good across the board.
- How can you beat Peruvian seafood?FonduvfishDined on 7/21/2013Tiny little spot,covered with vines and flowers, dining area mostly covered,each table has a heater, very cozy atmosphere,friendly waiter and owner. Fish is the freshest! Our favorite spot in Del MarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated our anniversary here!maksaraDined on 7/19/2013I made reservations to have our anniversary dinner here. I also bought a balloon bouquet and had it deliver to the restaurant, and they were kind enough to hold it for me. The service was awesome, the food is pricey however very delicious. The best part was that they did not charge us the dessert we shared! Will def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Secret = Maravillosa!!Hensel310VIPDined on 7/9/2013Cafe Secret in Del Mar is a charming, friendly and wonderful restaurant serving authentic and delicious Peruvian food. The ceviches--they have 5 different variations--we had two and cleaned both plates, are fresh, innovative and yummy. They serve many other entrees. They offer mimosas for a mere $5 have fresh squeezed orange juice. Service is very attentive and friendly. ALFAJORES are homemade and sensational. If you do not know what an alfajor is, try one from Cafe Secret. It is a dulce de leche filled shortbread cookie. These cookies are sold by the millions in Peru and Argentina every day. try one! If you want an authentic Peruvian dining experience, head to Cafe Secret. Deliciosa!Special Features:
- Good but unevenScottBVIPDined on 7/6/2013We arrived and were seated but it took a long time to be greeted (10 minutes). The waiter was a nice guy and was trying but they just needed another server working. They only have about 12 tables but it was a Saturday and, at those prices, you expect efficiency along with the cheerfulness. He recommended several dishes including a couple of different ceviches (their claim to fame). The ceviche (Tiradito and Classico) did not disappoint- excellent. The other stuff ranged from really good (Peruana and Quinoa salads, Scallops) to ho hum (Lamb) . The "wine list" is made up of about 10 bottles and was marginal at best- bring your own until they get more wines. The food that was good was outstanding so I will give them another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While the menu is limited,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/6/2013While the menu is limited, the options are well prepared and extremely flavorful. The place has a quirky bohemian atmosphere that only brings more charm to your surroundingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableJeff41Dined on 7/6/2013We were looking for a new restaurant with outdoor seating for lunch .... we weren't disappointed. Cafe Secret had great food and service .... we would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Secret - PeruvianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2013We loved pretty much everything about Café Secret. The food reminded us of authentic food once cooked by an old friend of ours. It was my birthday, so there was also cake tres leche with rich cream poured over it. Along with the sangria and seafood, it was a perfect dinner.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in San Diego??DCDinerVIPDined on 6/29/2013We disagree. While the ceviche was excellent, the main courses were unimaginative and tasteless.
- Off the beaten track gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2013Ceviche is a must, non touristy local favorite. Great alternative to the many seafood places around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiny peruvian secretncsdgirlDined on 6/16/2013This place was super tiny. It is a Peruvian cafe. The food was good, however we went for breakfast and didn't get to try the highly raved about ceviche. I ordered an omelet which was normal - not outstanding but not bad. I did love how they cooked the bacon (nice and crunchy). My husband ordered the chicarron sandwich and it was good. If you've ever had lichon before, its like a lichon sandwich. My sister ordered the pancake. It is just one big pancake. She did say the syrup was weird and had no flavor, but I didn't try it. The croissant bread pudding was delicious, and I am one who does not like bread pudding! Also, the coffee is nice and strong, and the mexican mocha was delicious. The servers were nice enough...Special Features:
- Best breakfast everChristyDined on 6/14/2013We were so delighted by the fresh unusual flair of our breakfast at secret that we returned the following morning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but overpricedDanaVIPDined on 6/9/2013very good food - got the pescado sudado and regular cevice. both were good, but before this place became "popular" the prices were about half as much as they are now. it's overpriced for what you get, even if it is good.Special Features:
- Very pleasantly surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/8/2013I recently met the owners of Cafe Secret, and although I have lived in Carmel Valley for 25 years, I've never noticed this place. So i had to try it. I read reviews that it was really good, but i had no idea the food would be SO delicious! We asked our waiter for recommendations, and he went over some of the popular dishes with us. I was there with a friend, and we shared everything we ordered. We started with the Tiradito Ceviche, which was so fresh and delicious. We also had the Conchitas (Scallops au Gratin) which was also wonderful. For our entrees, we had the Macho and the Lomo Saltado. My favorite of the two was the Lomo Saltado, but both were delicious! I will definitely be back here again.Special Features:
- Wonderful little peruvian restaurntLovinSanDiegoDiningVIPDined on 6/5/2013This little restaurant of about 8-10 tables only accommodates outdoor dining, but has cylinder heaters next to each table for cool evenings.... Food was delicious and very interesting! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Keep It SecretPoet44Dined on 6/4/2013Cafe Secret was up against tough competition, as we'd enjoyed excellent Peruvian food at Q'ero in Encinitas many times. But the menu seemed plausible, and a bit cheaper, so we made reservations to celebrate our anniversary. Unfortunately, the note I added in the online reservation about it being our anniversary was either unread or ignored, and the restaurant did nothing special for us. Fine, it happens. But the food was also pretty ordinary, and my wife had exactly the same sauce on her potato appetizer as was on her chicken entree, which shouldn't happen. My ceviche was pretty good, but we were expecting more overall; we did laugh when our check came in a book called Tarzan's Tonsillitis. It seems like a nice place, but we won't be back.Special Features:
- The outdoor tables betweenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2013The outdoor tables between the sidewalk and street are not that nice. Better quality would enhance the experience. If you want to sit outside pick the tables closest to the building, they appear to be more substantial. Food is terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine, romantic and adeq. pricedtakasDined on 6/1/2013I had been on the hunt for a good Peruvian restaurant since my trip to that wonderful country in 2009. A simple google search yielded a gem hidden right under my nose! Cafe secret features genuine Peruvian dishes, with a specialty in ceviches. I chose it as a special location for my SO's birthday and was not dissapointed in the absolute least. The ceviches made me feel like I was back in Lima, the staff were all extremely kind and accommodating and the moderate tab was perfectly reflective of my experience. Definitely worth trying for a quiet dinner and a gastronomic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spot!Swifty2Dined on 5/26/2013The outside tables were great for Sunday brunch. Quiet with few people walking by. The sandwiches and empanada were terrific. The wait staff were very attentive. Service was fast. Unique food with a little spice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great taste of PeruAquaDined on 5/25/2013Great food here. Scallops appetizer was not especially great, but the lamb entree and fish entrees were both excellent. As was the bread pudding desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2013I've enjoyed both a lunch and dinner at Cafe Secret and each was exceptional. It was a true pleasure to visit a restaurant serving meals with such uniquely delicious flavors. My personal favorite item is the Shrimp Causa on the appetizer menu. At dinner the other night, my husband and I ordered the Aji de Gallina (pulled chicken) and Ravioles verdes (spinach ravioli)...one word...WOW!!! Ambience is really pleasant...casual, but interesting. Seating is either outdoor or partially covered. Bring a jacket to be on the safe side for dinner. I am a native San Diegan and honestly, this place makes my top 10 favorite restaurant list in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peruvian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013We had the sangria made with their chicha (peruvian punch), mixto (seafood) ceviche and the parihuela (mixed seafood in a spicy bouillabaisse). The sangrias were interesting; red wine with a cinnamon-y kick, reminded me of sangria in the wintertime. It wasn't bad, but not my cup of tea. The ceviche was delicious. The seafood was fresh, tender and the whole dish popped in your mouth. It was tart and citrusey with a spicy bite at the end. The parihuela...wow, I loved it! One of the best bouillabaisses I've had. The broth was tomatoey and homey, very comfort-food-like. The seafood again was very fresh and I enjoyed the variety. I'd lick the bowl clean if I could!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUST DINEnavydiver2Dined on 5/12/2013This restaurant has got to be on your dining list. The location is perfect and food is delicious. I must admit i had never heard of it but my wife is Peruvian and i wanted to take her and her mother somewhere special on Mother's Day. I choose Cafe Secret and i have to say it was an excellent choice. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Secret1breakfastloverDined on 5/12/2013It wasn't a secret, really, and the restaurant had to call and reschedule my brunch ... not a big deal but still the service was not very attentive. That said, I loved my egg white vegetarian omelet and my husband enjoyed his burrito. Great coffee. Love the people watching from the curbside table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/12/2013Tried to dine here for Mother's Day with an 11:00 AM reservation and when we showed up they made us wait for 15 minutes even though there were 2 available tables. They offered my party of 3 a table for two with an extra chair sitting on the sidewalk (this is an outdoor cafe). When I refused and asked to be seated at the available table for 4, I was told it was being held for a party of 5. No apology, and no offer of any alternative. Not the way anyone should be treated ever, especially on Mother's Day.
- a little chaos but good foodguyzzDined on 5/11/2013Though we had reservations and showed up a bit early there still was confusion about seating us. One waiter did take drink orders while we were standing there waiting (though they didn't arrive until we got seated). Once we were seated the food was just great. The lamb stew was great the last time and when our friends ordered it this time it was still fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint restaurant on the mainRickVIPDined on 5/9/2013Quaint restaurant on the main thoroughfare in Del Mar with only outdoor seating. Nice menu with authentic Peruvian dishes, award winning Ceviche. Food was well prepared, tasty, with nice portions. Wine & Beer to complement the menu. Service was very good, server's multi-lingual so no communication problems. Ate here passing through from out of town, would try again next time in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different with excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2013Something different with excellent food. A truly enjoyable place to eat.Special Features:
- Stopped here on our way totomcatterVIPDined on 4/12/2013Stopped here on our way to San Diego for the weekend. Great little find in Del Mar. We had the empanadas which were delicious and large enough for a meal. Service was excellent and we will return to sample other dishes.Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2013This was our second visit to Cafe Secret. Although we were very satisfied with our dining experience last summer, this recent visit was very unsatisfactory. Although we had a reservation and arrived on time, we were not greeted upon arrival and we waited awkwardly at the counter for numerous minutes while 2 waitstaff were busy with other tables. Basically, they had too many patrons for only 2 waiters. We had to ask for everything--place setting, glass, one dinner arrived 10 minutes after the other two (order had been forgotten), appetizer arrived with 2 dinners. All in all, it was one of the worst dining experiences we had all year. Staff was overworked. Food was average this time. Will never return.
- Food excellent, ambience charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/7/2013Food excellent, ambience charming Del Mar street side. Service - spotty but well meant.Special Features:
- The food was just okay...cevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2013The food was just okay...ceviche was sour (too much lime) and was topped with an overabundance of red onions. The scallops with cheese appetizer was a ripoff...not much to eat. The main seafood dish was pretty good, but was served lukewarm. We were seated under a lightbulb that was glaring into our eyes...I felt like I was about to be interrogated. Ambiance did have a European feel, though, which I liked.Special Features:
- Hidden Secret.. You BET ThisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2013Hidden Secret.. You BET This place was fantastic. Ceviche was probably the best I've ever eaten.Special Features:
- REALLY nice spot great optionsRonCDined on 4/2/2013REALLY nice spot great options for dishes you might not normally have to choose from.Special Features:
- very good foodfamilywith2kidsDined on 3/27/2013small restaurant (mostly al fresco type) but nothing much for kids to eat. Common street parking. Good food though, worth the 30 min-trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food. serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/23/2013outstanding food. service was slow, but i know you guys were extremely busy and that you do everything from scratch. your staff is terrific!Special Features:
- This was my second time havingNoahUVIPDined on 3/22/2013This was my second time having Peruvian food and it was delicious again. The ceviche was amazing!Special Features: