Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
353 Fifth Avenue
Cross Street Between J and K Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafesevilla.com/
- Phone: 6192335979
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Paul Bauer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Flamenco Dinner Show: Saturday: 7:30pm - 9:30pm $47.50p/p; Spanish Rock: Monday 9:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p Salsa: Tuesday: 8:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p Thursday: 8:30pm - 1:30am $10.co/p Sunday: 6:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p DJ Night: Friday: 10:00pm - 1:30am $15.co/p Saturday: 10:00pm - 1:30am $15.co/p
A word from Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
Authentic Spanish Cuisine and Tapas Bar with dinner shows on weekends and a Spanish Flamenco Guitarist at the Tapas Bar 7 days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (41)vibrant bar scene (35)good for groups (30)hot spot (30)special occasion (26)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (23)late-night find (19)great for outdoor dining (14)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (6)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Great food and service. Did happy hour... White San Gria ---delicious.. Ahi Tuna Tower and lamb were scrumptious!,,, Oh! And try the olive bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Tapas!DonnaLeeCDined on 7/20/2014We had a food orgy. Everything was delicious. We stuffed ourselves. We expected a very expensive tab but were so thrilled to see it had been happy hour and the bill was half of what we expected. Even Better!Special Features:
- Drinks great food iffyTravelwellDined on 7/19/2014Drink menu and drinks were awesome. Food wasn't the greatest paella was undercooked and didn't taste well.Special Features:
- A Return Visit to Cafe SevillaTomBVIPDined on 7/6/2014This is the second time I have been to Café Sevilla. Grant, our server, provided us with detailed information about the menu options and different choices. The option of making tapas a full meal is a great alternative, by adding a starch and a vegetable. Both my companion and I chose that option. Café Sevilla is the place to go for fine Spanish food in San Diego.Special Features:
- Fabulous Waitressp0153316Dined on 7/6/2014Rose who served us last Sunday was so fabulous and she signed to us in American Sign Language. She was nice, friendly and helpful with our food. I think Café Sevilla is very fortunate to have her as a great and top waitress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced bad food and cocktails.BreeDined on 7/2/2014Cocktails were watered down, very little, and overpriced!!! Mojitos were more like lime-juice. Food was extremely overpriced AND horrible, not a good combination. Best part is atmosphere but that's not enough for me anymore. Restaurant staff - PATRONS DO NOT WANT TO OVERHEAR YOUR DRAMA!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014I was looking forward to the sangria that I had not had in some time but there was too much ice and a bit watered down. Disappointed! There used to be several pieces of fruit to enjoy but my drink only had one piece which looked like a slice of orange or lemon. Food was yummy !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, wished music started earlierDinerFromCADined on 6/27/2014Stopped in on Friday night around 5:30 for dinner (no we're not elderly, just missed out on lunch). Looking forward to flamenco music, but it didn't start until 9:30. Service was slow and impersonal at first, but got much better towards the end of our meal. Sangria, scallops and ahi tuna tapas were just average, nothing special or unique. Empanadas were much better, but then I've never met an empanada I didn't like. Live music would have made our experience much more memorable. If I'm in the area, I might try them again but I wouldn't go out of my way to come here for an early dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A few bumps didn't ruin the eveningLuv2dineDined on 6/13/2014Seated us immediately. Food was very good. Waitress seem a little rude and bothered when we asked about suggestions from the menu. Another waiter kept bumping wife's chair. They made a mistake in one of our dishes but fixed it immediately. I would recommend and dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Served FitfullyTdalecDined on 6/10/2014Very good Spanish food... when it arrives...finally. We ordered six of the tapas selections and the last two arrived an hour later. How does it take that long to grill sausages? That may have been an aberration. The place is wildly over-decorated and too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was looking forward to go but:Gam2kDined on 6/7/2014I was not able to be there that's why I wanted yo cancel from the beginning but you people told me there were no cancelation and no refunds that's the only aspect I didn't like from cafe Sevilla. Well what's done is done maybe next time. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new adventure1seldomcomplainsDined on 6/7/2014Was looking forward to a very entertaining evening with good food and ambiance. Had seen flamenco dancers before and was disappointed. Went to Café Sevilla in the hopes that it would be more of a professional and satisfying experience. Although the food was good, it was disappointing to have to go to the basement for a show. Didn't really like having to share tables with people you don't know. Was supposed to be a romantic experience for my husband and I. Was disappointed in the show. Three women one of which is not even Spanish. No men in the show and costumes made them look like old ladies. I will say the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would've been perfect except...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2014Started out great. Had the white Sangria (delicious)! Then their Olive loaf with dips and Empanadas. Yummy and it all came out so fast. But then we waited and waited 45 minutes for our single Paella. We had to cancel it because we had to get to a play. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Gem of a findlive2eatDined on 6/4/2014Cafe Sevilla in San Diego Gas Lamp District is an amazing authentic Spanish restaurant nestled among many restaurants with authentic style Spanish style food including tapas and paella. The white wine sangra was a real treat and suggested by our waiter who also suggested other excellent items that were on the menu. It was noisy but, that's how it is suppose to be with many people eating fabulous food, dining late and thoroughly enjoying the evening. Unfortunately we were not able to stay for the entertainment however, this restaurant is definitely on our return list for our next trip to San Diego. Thank you !!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started on a bad noteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2014when we arrived they said we did not have a reservation. I showed 3 email confirmations w/open table ,as it was my daughters b day. She asked would we mind sitting at a community table. I said we made a reservation to have our OWN table. She said she is encouraged to put us at a community table, and then continued on how we did not have a reservation. I showed her 3 confirming emails of my reservation and she still was not able to find it. The remainder of our party showed up with a cake to be a surprise later and the hostess just didn't get it. She was a bad director of first impressions. If our waiter had not made up for it in a big way I would not come back. He turned our experience into a great one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timegoochDined on 5/24/2014Great food, just be aware that even though you have reservations, you still have to wait time of 5-10 mins. depending on how crowded it is. Oh yeah...and there is no waiting area, so you have to stand around the walk way.Special Features:
- Good food but....dinerDined on 5/24/2014The food was GREAT and would have been even better if I had enough light. Half the pleasure of dining is the presentation of the food. It was presented well but was too dark to actually see the food. Service was great until 3/4 of the way through the meal. I guess the waiter figured we were done spending money so he would work a different table. I enjoyed the meal but it's not a restaurant I will work hard to try again.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceHewdinVIPDined on 5/23/2014Food was very good. Service was great. Antonio was our server. Very professional, friendly and made great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasRebeccaHDined on 5/20/2014We went for a late night light meal after a play and Cafe Sevilla was the perfect choice. We had Queso Fundido, Wild Mushroom Empenada, and Albondigas al Jerez which were all delicious. We also had the Olive and Almond sampler which was boring. Our server was clearly overwhelmed and forgot to bring us our first plate and bill. However, he was very pleasant and was probably new to the position and we were in no hurry so it didn't cause any inconvenience.Special Features:
- Interesting tapas selectionsintofoodVIPDined on 5/19/2014Great attentive service plus interesting tapas selections that were well done make for a satisfying dinner. The portions were larger than expected and will fill you up fast. The only passable item is probably the paella.Special Features:
- Not so greatSFoodieDined on 5/18/2014We went to Sevilla based on recommendations and were disappointed. The noise level indoors was well above 100 decibels (conversation impossible unless you can lip-read). The service was poor, dirty glassware and cutlery to start, we had to ask for the bread we ordered (for an extra $5) three times. So was the food worth it? Not really. The some of the tapas were OK, others were tasteless. None rose to level of tapas available in Spain, or other stateside tapas bars we have found. We cannot recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Unexpected delightValSalvaDined on 5/18/2014I went to this establishment while on a business trip and was pleasantly suprised. service prompt and fod ver good.Special Features:
- Always Great FoodGregVIPDined on 5/18/2014Good food and they handle gluten free well, offering lots of alternatives.Special Features:
- Family from SpainEvaclintonDined on 5/14/2014My wife is from Sevilla and states that this place is the next best thing to her home in Spain. Great food, staff, and atmosphere. His my second trip to San Diego and I will always make sure to come back and eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva Espana!SCchefDined on 5/10/2014Always great for late night snacks or dinner and drinks! New location has the balcony seating that is great for people watching and catching the show. Been a fav for over 20 years, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in the Gaslamp Quarter!cosmokramerVIPDined on 5/10/2014A friend and I had dinner recently at Cafe Sevilla for the first time and were really impressed by the food, service and ambiance. We sat outside at a table right next to the sidewalk and, in addition to the great people-watching, were treated to fabulous food (we shared several small plates -- all of which were wonderful) and great service. Our waitress was extremely attentive and the manager (I'm assuming) came by to ask how everything was. The inside of the restaurant is very cool and I wouldn't mind sitting inside if the weather is not ideal for outdoor dining. In any case, I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014Good food, great scene, and awesome band when they have them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGBrainzDined on 5/9/2014Our experience at Café Sevilla was amazing. Our hostess was so great; I don't remember her name but she was exceptional. She gave fantastic recommendations for food and what she suggested we ordered; it was AWESOME! We had a really great experience. Loved their lamb skewers and the olive bread!Special Features:
- A taste of SpainmichkpDined on 5/9/2014Very unique food and atmosphere. Have not been to another place like it before. I felt like I was dining in Spain somewhere. Our waiter was very helpful with the menu. The food we tried was delicious and fun to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodhealthydiner3Dined on 5/2/2014The Restaurant was very noisy from the bar crowd not great for talking. food was good but rather expensive for just good food the waiter was great. all in all just a so so experienceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceDrKoobVIPDined on 4/27/2014In San Diego for a weekend and looking for an interesting meal that was within walking distance of out hotel. This place fit the bill perfectly. Great service from Julie was superb start to the meal. Ordered a pitcher of their house sangria and it's a LOT for two people. (But we drank it all.) Started with an appetizer and then I had the amazing Valencia paella. My bride (for the second night in a row) had sea bass. Make sure you have their in-house made bread. It is amazing. Both entrees were great. Then we had their specialty sundae for dessert and it was outstanding. We had one of those dining experiences we will remember for years to come.Special Features:
- Sevilla again againHowcrabDined on 4/23/2014We've eaten here often and keep coming back. The food is great - had ceviche for first time (sampler of 3) and it is wonderful. Seafood paella with black rice also a standout. The Sevilla sour cocktail is terrific (pisco, pear-habanero sauce) Service iffy this time - all dishes appeared at once rather than comfortably staged and some instructions were misunderstood. Not to worry - we'll be back again.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014The food is amazing, the sangria is delicious, and the service is great. We sat upstairs at the counter overlooking the downstairs seating are. Sitting at the counter really gives you a more private dining experience. We loved it. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and differentIn2FoodDined on 4/12/2014The food at Café Sevilla is delicious and something you don't find in other restaurants. There are a variety of foods, a variety of ways to serve them and the flavors are great and not like other restaurants. It's always flavorful and the service is great too. We've been going for years and every time we go, our taste buds are happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/11/2014We were very disappointed in the service. We had to ask for the happy hour menu. Then, we had to clarify what drinks were on the happy hour menu. When we asked for a dessert menu, she simply did not bring it. We were so looking forward to this evening and it was a dud!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 4/10/2014My waitress, Amanda, was very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/3/2014One of the few good tapas places in San Diego. Many excellent and tasty choices, good wine selections, and service is fast. A little noisy and somewhat dark for serious eaters, but a great place for groups of at least 3 to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 254 reviews are from the Cafe Sevilla - San Diego reviews archive.
- Their slogan is “visitingartistaDined on 3/31/2014Their slogan is “visiting Spain without the airfare.” That is an accurate description; the décor overwhelms with all things Spanish and the lighting is low. Tapas are meant to be shared and the tables seem to invite groups to sit down and enjoy. As a solo diner, I did not feel as welcome. I was seated at the “chef’s table”, a nice word for facing the prep area with your back to all the excitement. Happily, the food made up for my unfortunate seating. I had the charred lamb chops with olive oil and rosemary, served on fabada. I also had a crusty bread with mushrooms, figs and manchego cheese. The lamb chops were especially wonderful – still rare under that charred exterior. That dish will bring me back if I return to San Diego.Special Features:
- Great tapas, average main courseHammertimeDined on 3/24/2014We chose based on reviews and as a tapas place it was great. The ahi tartare tower and warm goat cheese were delicious! The paella was good but the salmon was so terribly overcooked as to be almost inedible. However, the service was really good so I am giving four stars even though I hated my main course. I would absolutely come back for drinks and tapas and recommend for that.
- FunFlygirlDined on 3/24/2014This was the second time I had dined at Cafe Sevilla and was very pleased. The food and atmosphere was excellent. It does get very busy later in the evening and the wait staff seemed a little overwhelmed. Had to wait a bit for a drink but overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.