Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
353 Fifth Avenue
Cross Street Between J and K Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafesevilla.com/
- Phone: 6192335979
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Paul Bauer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Flamenco Dinner Show: Saturday: 7:30pm - 9:30pm $47.50p/p; Spanish Rock: Monday 9:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p Salsa: Tuesday: 8:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p Thursday: 8:30pm - 1:30am $10.co/p Sunday: 6:30pm - 1:30am $8. co/p DJ Night: Friday: 10:00pm - 1:30am $15.co/p Saturday: 10:00pm - 1:30am $15.co/p
A word from Cafe Sevilla - San Diego
Authentic Spanish Cuisine and Tapas Bar with dinner shows on weekends and a Spanish Flamenco Guitarist at the Tapas Bar 7 days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Cafe Sevilla - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (42)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (33)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (28)special occasion (25)romantic (25)late-night find (23)great for outdoor dining (11)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (7)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great Food and AtmosphereGregVIPDined on 8/28/2014Always awesome. Always enjoy the gluten free options here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch Gas Lamp RestaurantCoachJoshDined on 8/25/2014I live and work predominantly in the SF Bay Area but often do overnight trips to San Diego to visit my clients there. San Diego has one of my all-time favorite restaurants in Café Sevilla in the Gas Lamp District. I've been to this restaurant 4 times and have yet to be anything but extremely satisfied. This Spanish tapas restaurant delivers in every aspect, from ambience/décor, service, bar/drinks and of course, the food!!! I tend to dine here with co-workers and we take the family style approach to dining here so that everyone can try as many items as possible. Having tried about 2/3 of the menu now, I can attest that Café Sevilla has nailed it! It's hard to go wrong with this menu but you HAVE to try the beef short rib = to die for!Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014awsome food. great recommendations from staff. Unique flavors. Will recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "new" Cafe SevillaShowellDined on 8/20/2014I used to frequent Cafe Sevilla about 25 years ago when it was smaller and had a lot of character. It still has a nice ambiance, and the food wasn't exceptional, but it was good. Overall, I wasn't as wowed as I'd hoped to be after such a long hiatus between visits, but the price was a nice surprise. With one $10 glass of wine and four appetizers, our bill was only about $30. Still, if you're looking for more interesting and consistently good quality cuisine, my go-to is Urbane Cafe at 5th and Laurel, or Crest Cafe in Hillcrest. If you want a really great dining experience and don't mind paying for it, try Herringbone in La Jolla. Great service, food, and ambiance.
- Waiter was in appropriaatenotthebestnight816Dined on 8/16/2014HI I called to say the waiter treated him self to shots while on duty and billed me for it. Steve the manager was kind enough to offer the cost back to me in a gift card. Very disappointing to experience this situation. Seems he also discounted the bill after I left to say I had a coupon which I did not so that he could keep a tip out of the bill because I didn't leave one due to my upset over paying for shots we never ordered for him or us.Special Features:
- Cafe SevillaDroneganDined on 8/14/2014My party was happily surprised to find that all tapas were 1/2 price for happy hour. All four selections were excellent, but the short ribs were so good we considered ordering another for dessert. Our server was friendly and attentive, and the decor unique. Only gripe: music was a bit too loud where we were seated on the ground level.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 8/12/2014Our waitress, Sara, did a great job. We'll be back in a month or so.Special Features:
- DeliciousElds007Dined on 8/10/2014Incredible food, fantastic service, and the cocktails were delicious. Try the empanadas and the octopus ceviche. The staff was more than congenial, and the live Spanish music was a perfect touch. Would absolutely recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C0nstanceDined on 8/10/2014Ambience and decor are pleasant; Spanish inspired (as one would anticipate considering it's Spanish Tapas). The servers and hostesses are friendly and authentically friendly. The only downside to the restaurant is the seating. The layout is slightly awkward and the bar-top style communal tables infront of the stage are incredibly uncomfortable. Otherwise, the music, food and staff were all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best new restaurant in down town?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Waited 30 min after showing up for my scheduled OT reservation. Was told I was 1st on the waiting list but many other guests sat down before my group of 3. Aside from the frustration of waiting, the food was good. Not worth the 2 hrs and 30 min of being at the establishment. Might be the best tapas bar in the area. I'd recommend going if you show up before 6pm promptly as the hostesses act as if its their first job.Special Features:
- Great music and atmospherealeneubauerDined on 8/8/2014The food is just good. But the music, ambience and the service are amazing!Special Features:
- still goodbrewdiverDined on 8/8/2014Finally made it to the new location. Nice place...good food. Wish music started earlierSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't live up to the hype.SteveTDined on 8/6/2014I'm not sure what the draw is for this restaurant. There really isn't anything that distinguishes it. The ambiance was fair at best. The food is average. The service, pleasant. Having a view of the water isn't enough when you're a foodie at heart.
- Got tapas?NSRUIZDined on 8/5/2014Haven't been to a tapas bar in over 5 years until last Tuesday at Cafe Sevilla. Went for a nice dinner with live music then walked next door to Sevilla Night Club. How awesome is that! Try their traditional paella! Good stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dinner and entertainmentWVUSteveDined on 8/3/2014Had an excellent dinner starting with the flight of wine cocktails,beef kabobs, trio of ceviche, traditional paella. Great tastes. Then excellent Spanish guitar entertainment. Started during happy hour, very reasonable bill. Second time there and will definitely return when in San Diego again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy4a22bdayDined on 8/2/2014The food was excellent, service was spot on however, it is a very loud restaurant. So, if quiet and romantic is what you are looking for, this would not be the best choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best meal and musicians🎶🎶🎶SLindaSDined on 7/31/2014My two friends and I met at Cafe Sevilla to celebrate one year of retirement from teaching elementary and high school visual and performing arts students. We decided to make it an annual celebration from now on ! The food and music are great and the Sangria is perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Great food and service. Did happy hour... White San Gria ---delicious.. Ahi Tuna Tower and lamb were scrumptious!,,, Oh! And try the olive bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Tapas!DonnaLeeCDined on 7/20/2014We had a food orgy. Everything was delicious. We stuffed ourselves. We expected a very expensive tab but were so thrilled to see it had been happy hour and the bill was half of what we expected. Even Better!Special Features:
- Drinks great food iffyTravelwellDined on 7/19/2014Drink menu and drinks were awesome. Food wasn't the greatest paella was undercooked and didn't taste well.Special Features:
- A Return Visit to Cafe SevillaTomBVIPDined on 7/6/2014This is the second time I have been to Café Sevilla. Grant, our server, provided us with detailed information about the menu options and different choices. The option of making tapas a full meal is a great alternative, by adding a starch and a vegetable. Both my companion and I chose that option. Café Sevilla is the place to go for fine Spanish food in San Diego.Special Features:
- Fabulous Waitressp0153316Dined on 7/6/2014Rose who served us last Sunday was so fabulous and she signed to us in American Sign Language. She was nice, friendly and helpful with our food. I think Café Sevilla is very fortunate to have her as a great and top waitress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced bad food and cocktails.BreeDined on 7/2/2014Cocktails were watered down, very little, and overpriced!!! Mojitos were more like lime-juice. Food was extremely overpriced AND horrible, not a good combination. Best part is atmosphere but that's not enough for me anymore. Restaurant staff - PATRONS DO NOT WANT TO OVERHEAR YOUR DRAMA!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014I was looking forward to the sangria that I had not had in some time but there was too much ice and a bit watered down. Disappointed! There used to be several pieces of fruit to enjoy but my drink only had one piece which looked like a slice of orange or lemon. Food was yummy !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, wished music started earlierDinerFromCADined on 6/27/2014Stopped in on Friday night around 5:30 for dinner (no we're not elderly, just missed out on lunch). Looking forward to flamenco music, but it didn't start until 9:30. Service was slow and impersonal at first, but got much better towards the end of our meal. Sangria, scallops and ahi tuna tapas were just average, nothing special or unique. Empanadas were much better, but then I've never met an empanada I didn't like. Live music would have made our experience much more memorable. If I'm in the area, I might try them again but I wouldn't go out of my way to come here for an early dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A few bumps didn't ruin the eveningLuv2dineDined on 6/13/2014Seated us immediately. Food was very good. Waitress seem a little rude and bothered when we asked about suggestions from the menu. Another waiter kept bumping wife's chair. They made a mistake in one of our dishes but fixed it immediately. I would recommend and dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Served FitfullyTdalecDined on 6/10/2014Very good Spanish food... when it arrives...finally. We ordered six of the tapas selections and the last two arrived an hour later. How does it take that long to grill sausages? That may have been an aberration. The place is wildly over-decorated and too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was looking forward to go but:Gam2kDined on 6/7/2014I was not able to be there that's why I wanted yo cancel from the beginning but you people told me there were no cancelation and no refunds that's the only aspect I didn't like from cafe Sevilla. Well what's done is done maybe next time. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new adventure1seldomcomplainsDined on 6/7/2014Was looking forward to a very entertaining evening with good food and ambiance. Had seen flamenco dancers before and was disappointed. Went to Café Sevilla in the hopes that it would be more of a professional and satisfying experience. Although the food was good, it was disappointing to have to go to the basement for a show. Didn't really like having to share tables with people you don't know. Was supposed to be a romantic experience for my husband and I. Was disappointed in the show. Three women one of which is not even Spanish. No men in the show and costumes made them look like old ladies. I will say the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would've been perfect except...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2014Started out great. Had the white Sangria (delicious)! Then their Olive loaf with dips and Empanadas. Yummy and it all came out so fast. But then we waited and waited 45 minutes for our single Paella. We had to cancel it because we had to get to a play. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Gem of a findlive2eatDined on 6/4/2014Cafe Sevilla in San Diego Gas Lamp District is an amazing authentic Spanish restaurant nestled among many restaurants with authentic style Spanish style food including tapas and paella. The white wine sangra was a real treat and suggested by our waiter who also suggested other excellent items that were on the menu. It was noisy but, that's how it is suppose to be with many people eating fabulous food, dining late and thoroughly enjoying the evening. Unfortunately we were not able to stay for the entertainment however, this restaurant is definitely on our return list for our next trip to San Diego. Thank you !!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started on a bad notenotthebestnight816Dined on 5/29/2014when we arrived they said we did not have a reservation. I showed 3 email confirmations w/open table ,as it was my daughters b day. She asked would we mind sitting at a community table. I said we made a reservation to have our OWN table. She said she is encouraged to put us at a community table, and then continued on how we did not have a reservation. I showed her 3 confirming emails of my reservation and she still was not able to find it. The remainder of our party showed up with a cake to be a surprise later and the hostess just didn't get it. She was a bad director of first impressions. If our waiter had not made up for it in a big way I would not come back. He turned our experience into a great one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timegoochDined on 5/24/2014Great food, just be aware that even though you have reservations, you still have to wait time of 5-10 mins. depending on how crowded it is. Oh yeah...and there is no waiting area, so you have to stand around the walk way.Special Features:
- Good food but....dinerDined on 5/24/2014The food was GREAT and would have been even better if I had enough light. Half the pleasure of dining is the presentation of the food. It was presented well but was too dark to actually see the food. Service was great until 3/4 of the way through the meal. I guess the waiter figured we were done spending money so he would work a different table. I enjoyed the meal but it's not a restaurant I will work hard to try again.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceHewdinVIPDined on 5/23/2014Food was very good. Service was great. Antonio was our server. Very professional, friendly and made great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasRebeccaHDined on 5/20/2014We went for a late night light meal after a play and Cafe Sevilla was the perfect choice. We had Queso Fundido, Wild Mushroom Empenada, and Albondigas al Jerez which were all delicious. We also had the Olive and Almond sampler which was boring. Our server was clearly overwhelmed and forgot to bring us our first plate and bill. However, he was very pleasant and was probably new to the position and we were in no hurry so it didn't cause any inconvenience.Special Features:
- Interesting tapas selectionsintofoodVIPDined on 5/19/2014Great attentive service plus interesting tapas selections that were well done make for a satisfying dinner. The portions were larger than expected and will fill you up fast. The only passable item is probably the paella.Special Features:
- Not so greatSFoodieDined on 5/18/2014We went to Sevilla based on recommendations and were disappointed. The noise level indoors was well above 100 decibels (conversation impossible unless you can lip-read). The service was poor, dirty glassware and cutlery to start, we had to ask for the bread we ordered (for an extra $5) three times. So was the food worth it? Not really. The some of the tapas were OK, others were tasteless. None rose to level of tapas available in Spain, or other stateside tapas bars we have found. We cannot recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Unexpected delightValSalvaDined on 5/18/2014I went to this establishment while on a business trip and was pleasantly suprised. service prompt and fod ver good.Special Features:
- Always Great FoodGregVIPDined on 5/18/2014Good food and they handle gluten free well, offering lots of alternatives.Special Features: