1353 Boston Post Road
Westbrook, CT 06498Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caferoutier.com/
- Phone: 8603998700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 - 10:00pm; Lounge menu after 10:00pm on Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Scott, Joe Barraco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off Property catering available for your special events from 40 to 250 people.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties from 50 to 120 people on site with menus designed to meet every and all respective needs.
- Private Party Contact: Randy Hodge 8603998700x
- Entertainment: A diverse global approach to background music, programmed every night to meet the 'tempo' of the respective evening. Downtempo, lounge, acid jazz, bossanova, french fusion, easy house, classic jazz, etc . . . every night you can expect a unique tour to match our mood.
- Special Events: Lounge parties. Wine tastings. Private luncheons. Please let us know how we can make your private function memorable.
A word from Café Routier
Cafe Routier, Bistro and Lounge, serving a three paneled menu format; Regional (a different region of the world every 8 weeks), Seasonal (locally sourced seasonal ingredients) and a specialty menu of classic Bistro fare. A 40 seat lounge serving 'small plates' and tapas adjoins the bar area. Ethos is important to us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Café Routier - Best Restaurants in Westbrook ›
Café Routier reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (67)neighborhood gem (54)romantic (51)notable wine list (40)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (21)hot spot (19)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- AmazingKermitsmomVIPDined on 8/29/2014We have dined here probably 20 times (see previous reviews). This is the most consistently excellent restaurant we have ever been to--and we have been to the best in NYC, Philadelphia, and elsewhere. We have never had a bad meal. We have never had bad service. The menus are inventive but not outrageous; there's a third of the menu with the tried and true; another third with seasonal specialties which change--of course!--with the seasons; and the final third with regional specialties which change every so often. The servers are professional, pleasant and informative. I can't think of a better place to dine on the Shoreline!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/28/2014My Wife and I stopped here on a whim as we were travelling through. This place was fabulous...what a find. The food and service was top notch. You should stop by too!Special Features:
- Gem at the seashoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Upscale dining amidst the hubub of shore restaurants. Delicate, creative seasonings, freshest of greens. Duck cooked to perfection, tender & tasty. Mussel appetizer with chopped tomatoes and saffrom sufficient for a meal.Special Features:
- wonderfulladybirdDined on 8/23/2014A great find, both my husband and I really enjoyed our dinners. Our new favorite place to go.Special Features:
- AllisonAllieDined on 8/22/2014Food is fabulous, delicious and creative. Service outstanding!Special Features:
- Fantastic Find!BethalaDined on 8/18/2014Service was terrific! Wine was delicious, which was recommended by the server. Food was beyond delicious! Prices were great! Can't say enough good things about this place. definitely recommend it to anyomne!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- August 2014Rcw818Dined on 8/18/2014Love the food and atmosphere. Service was slow and somewhat inattentive by the waitress. Maybe just an off night, we love it there and have never had an issue before. The other waitresses and manager were on top of things. We saw many parties come and go. We had to get up to ask for the check and it was just slow..... Always yummy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinner with friendsLynetteDined on 8/16/2014It was our first time having dinner here but definitely not our last. The duck was tender and delicious. The halibut was outstanding. We loved sitting in the comfortable booths. It was so nice to have a waiter who was informative and attentive. Can't wait until next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long time customer still happybistroloverDined on 8/12/2014we go about 10-15 times a year and have been dining with them for about ten years. We love that the menus change 5-6 times a year, the regions or themes can sometimes be fantastic, always the opportunity to try new things. This is a place that clearly chooses comfort over formality and it shows in how the staff tries. Same staff incidentally for years. My current favorite dish is the halibut which may have us back a few more times before menu changes. Pan Seared halibut over heirloom tomatoes, sauteed spinach w/ corn basil butter sauce. yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Our waitress was outstanding. The best service I have ever had. Great menu. Thinking about having our holiday party there this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014This was our second time at Cafe Routier while vacationing in Westbrook and it was a delightful dining experience . The chef was very helpful with my dietary restrictions. During the summer we enjoyed Wild Alaskan King Salmon that melted in your mouth. I would say that it's not really for young children, but they were also able to accommodate my well behaved 12 year old with is picky pallet! Reservations is a good idea, because many times the restaurant is packed! My only complaint was that the air conditioning was too cold in the middle of the summer. I dressed appropriately and brought a sweater, but it was still TOO cold. The ladies room upstairs reflected the charm of this classic French-American establishment.Special Features:
- Just not up to itCustomerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Over-done menu with an effort to be something they are not....shows in the food, which is over-cooked and not really flavorful.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodCkbforfoodDined on 8/9/2014Only drawback is slow. I had duck with rattatouille filled tomato. Absolutely perfect. My husband ordered bouillabaise with a spicy broth. Also had a starter crab cakes. Very good with capers. Server very knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super as alwaysZorroVIPDined on 8/8/2014Consistently terrific. Good food, well prepared, highly recommended. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioushomerun4jf90Dined on 8/8/2014This was a very good dinner. Got the halibut and it was complimented by the heirloom tomatoes and corn pesto sauce. The food just complimented each other perfectly and the portion was perfect. My husband and I don't go out very often and always hope for the best when we do but this was definatly a home run. The service was excellent as well.Special Features:
- pleasant dinner experienceeaterouterVIPDined on 8/7/2014Dinner at Cafe Routier is always pleasant. The waiter was very attentive to our friend who requested a gluten-free menu. He answered all questions, and was quick to offer to check on items he wasn't sure about. Our friend was very pleased with the choices that were available to her. A word of warning - the mussels appetizer is delicious, but HUGE! Either share it with someone, or get it as your dinner! As always, the steak frite is my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always know what to expectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Every time I dine here, no matter lounge or dining room, I always have a nice, comfortable, experience. Food, service, drinks.....consistently good.Special Features:
- Cafe RoutiermarvDined on 8/2/2014Well worth the trip from West Hartford just to eat there. Love how they vary their menu with season offerings and varied regional offeringsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeChewyDined on 8/1/2014I keep coming & it is due to consistency of the meals!Special Features:
- Our last minute dinner in WestbrookJaneAusten123Dined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed a pleasant dinner. The scallops were a bit rich, but delicious.Special Features:
- We like it!thefoodgroupDined on 7/30/2014Consistently good food and service. Never have had a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitress grumpy.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/30/2014Our waitress was grumpy and impatient, thus setting the stage for an unpleasant evening. Place was noisy, food was ok but mood was off. Happy to leave.
- Perfect Birthday Dinner!GrammaDDined on 7/29/2014The fried oyster appetizer is always excellent! Bouillabase and Hanger Steak were outstanding entree options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kellyDined on 7/27/2014Special House Fries-PARTY IN YOUR MOUTH AMAZING!! Cannot wait to go back-Risotto with Heirloom tomatoes-YUM- Halibut was beyondSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our favorite placebistroloverDined on 7/27/2014the current regional menu Provence is excellent. The mustard rosemary duck & the pan seared halibut over heirloom tomatoes were highlights. Friendly servers who know what we like. wonderful staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency says it all!FrisVIPDined on 7/26/2014We go at least once a week,yes we are regulars and that is special on both sides of the table. However I like to observe customer service wherever I go. It is what I strive to be the best at in my work. Let me tell you nobody is perfect but if you try to be the best everyday you have a much better chance. These guys put in the effort and it shows. P.S. Very little turnover in staff what does that tell you?Special Features:
- WonderfulKandDDined on 7/23/2014The service was excellent and the food was better than expected. The best crab cakes I've had in a long time. Seafood entrees were fresh and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperiencePrincessJJDined on 7/21/2014The food was delicious & the service excellent. My only comment is that the hostess stand is tucked away with no one there to greet us. We had the scallops, halibut & steak frites - all very tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014We went here for our daughter's 20th birthday. She and her boyfriend are both chefs, having recently graduated from Culinary Institute of America, and they were both very impressed by all aspects of Cafe Routier. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Always terrificAnthonyCTVIPDined on 7/20/2014While I've had the pleasure of dining at Routier many times, we had the additional pleasure of being there on a quiet Sunday evening. From the first to the last, the service, food and experience was top notch. My past experiences have been when the restaurant was operating at full tilt. It was nice to be there when the dining room was more relaxed and quiet. I ordered from the Provence menu, while my husband and mother-in-law ordered from the summer menu. Everything was exceptional.Special Features:
- Well done, Cafe Routier.MichaelVIPDined on 7/18/2014A lovely evening at Cafe Routier. Best meal we've had there, and the food's always good. The corner circular booth made conversation for four easy. The waiter was attentive and his service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RSquaredDined on 7/14/2014The mixologist deserves an ovation. The custom fresh lime margarita served "up" , was perfectly crafted . ***** The fried oysters were truly fresh, crispy and perfectly accompanied with a chipotle remoulade. Ironically the only let down was the the hangar steak which was a bit heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2014We both had the halibut and it was almost as good as the halibut we had in Alaska, which is a big compliment! The service was excellent. We were celebrating our anniversary and the server gave us complimentary cookies with a candle for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014Many visits, most of the times with new seasonal/regional menus and it's always a reliable experience. Timely seating, accommodating & friendly staff and delicious food.Special Features:
- Ccr3Dined on 7/12/2014Food was great but we were there to relax and enjoy a meal which did not happen. We had an 8:30 reservation so the rush was over. However, initially it took about 20 minutes to get a cocktail. We ordered a cheese plate which was fine, nothing special, and took another 20 minutes to arrive. The dishes were literally dropped down on the table, none of the staff made any eye contact and the bus boy, between courses, moved our glasses by putting his fingers on the tops of them. Ugh! The staff was almost rude in their delivery of the food. We literally felt like the plates were being thrown at us and/or as though we had angered the servers. So despite a delicious meal, the customer service will deter our party from returning.Special Features:
- Always Greatjerry7790Dined on 7/9/2014This was my 4th or 5th trip and it is always awesome. They have a great seasonal menu that changes every couple of months and some very good items you can always count on. Be sure to try the musselsSpecial Features:
- Love love love the loungeLoungeflyDined on 7/9/2014we eat here often because the service is terrific and the cuisine changes all the time to sometimes familiar and avant garde regions of the world. The dining room is a great place for family dinners, but we love the bar/lounge area most when we can find a babysitter. This is a place that keeps moving the ball forward. Love how they try new things. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Flat iron steak was chewy. Didn't care for the BBQ dusting on the Scallops. Great wait staff.
- Great discoveryFfldfoodie5Dined on 7/2/2014We've been visiting Westbrook for years but just finally visited Cafe Routier. What a great find! Food was top notch and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute late tablekjperrelliDined on 6/29/2014We were able to snag a last minute table on a Saturday night, which was a nice surprise for such a lovely experience. The food was great, good wine list, and Rodney, our server, was awesome. I love the seasonally changing menu. We will be back for sure, even though it isn't close to home for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.