1353 Boston Post Road
Westbrook, CT 06498Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caferoutier.com/
- Phone: (860) 399-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - 4:30pm - 8:00pm Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 - 10:00pm; Lounge menu after 10:00pm on Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Scott, Joe Barraco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off Property catering available for your special events from 40 to 250 people.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties from 50 to 120 people on site with menus designed to meet every and all respective needs.
- Private Party Contact: Randy Hodge 8603998700x
- Entertainment: A diverse global approach to background music, programmed every night to meet the 'tempo' of the respective evening. Downtempo, lounge, acid jazz, bossanova, french fusion, easy house, classic jazz, etc . . . every night you can expect a unique tour to match our mood.
- Special Events: Lounge parties. Wine tastings. Private luncheons. Please let us know how we can make your private function memorable.
A word from Café Routier
Cafe Routier, Bistro and Lounge, serving a three paneled menu format; Regional (a different region of the world every 8 weeks), Seasonal (locally sourced seasonal ingredients) and a specialty menu of classic Bistro fare. A 40 seat lounge serving 'small plates' and tapas adjoins the bar area. Ethos is important to us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Café Routier - Best Restaurants in Westbrook ›
Café Routier reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)special occasion (68)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (38)vibrant bar scene (32)good for groups (20)hot spot (17)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent food and atmosphereCjl25Dined on 11/8/2014Outstanding service and creative, expertly prepared food in a nice cozy atmosphere....we hadn't been since they moved to this location. All in our party enjoyed it. A bit pricey, but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOPFrisVIPDined on 11/7/2014Yes it does mean standard operating procedure however in this case it means taking the fabulous bread and sopping up the great broth from the muscles or any of the other sauces that come with "J's" great dishes! That is SOP when we go. Bon Appetite!Special Features:
- Same as Always - Great!MHDonFoodDined on 11/1/2014It was my birthday and I chose to go to Cafe Routier. I enjoy the steak/frittes and, even though I've been on weight management, I knew that this meal would be good enough to "cheat" with on my birthday. A gem.Special Features:
- Reliably goodGeorgesaysDined on 11/1/2014Cafe Routier always shines as one of the liveliest and most satisfying restaurants on the shoreline. The staff is both friendly and professional and the food is always well prepared. The only obvious deficiency is that the noise level can be disturbing, particularly in the rear dining room where tables for two can be painfully pummeled by the sound level from groups seated at adjacent large banquettes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014Excellent food drink & service which goes along with the high prices. Dinner for 2 with tip $150. My only request to the restaurant is to add Toasted Head wine to the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dependablebistroloverDined on 10/30/2014our go to place for just about everything. They know what we like and we know the staff very well. Have been going for about ten years and we always look forward to the varying menus. There are so many interesting and sometimes weird turns in their themes that it stays fresh for us. Morocco, Fruili, barcelona, Argentina (Their current region),NYC Steakhouse, India, Japan, Lisbon, Pacific NW, Cape Cod, Tuscany, Gascony and that's just off the top of my head. Always interesting cuisines down with their spin. Best bar scene on shorelineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Everything was excellent. We don't drink, but it definitely is a drinking place. It was a special dinner for us and a special treat. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Great romantic dinner spot!mjYalefoodieDined on 10/25/2014We were staying at the Waters Edge Resort and found Cafe Routier to be the perfect place to have a romantic dinner close-by.Special Features:
- a consistent winner !!StefanoVIPDined on 10/23/2014We dine here often...... and I have VERY high standards for restaurant dining. Cafe' Routier has always provided a wonderful evening and can give us that little up lift we all need at mid-week to make it through our work week !!! Also, can be very romantic for those special evenings too ! We love that they are smart enough to have a part of the menu with solid always excellent standards that they do not change AND also devote a part of the menu to seasonal AND regional choices .......... BRILLIANTLY done !!!Special Features:
- Cafe Routier - a great findWanderchildDined on 10/22/2014We've lived in the area for years, but never thought to try this restaurant until a friend raved about it. So I took my husband there for dinner on his birthday and it was special. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was intimate but casual, and the service was excellent but not overbearing. We have finally found a nice restaurant for dining and special occasions.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantTjs825Dined on 10/18/2014One of the best restaurants, if not the best I have ever been too. Food is absolutely delicious and the service is too notch. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- Loud peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Seated next to loud people on both sides; just an unfortunate fluke; food and service were outstandingSpecial Features:
- Surprised again not reallyFrisVIPDined on 10/11/2014Brought friends Saturday night to try new menu. Needless to say they loved it,she had short ribs he had special hanger off new menu portion. Took my wife to a matinee Sunday got out about 6:00 pm ,gee where should we go? No surprise let's try something else on new menu. All set to order until Art(bartender) whispers in my ear try the venison chili! That's not on the new menu! Well either were the other three specials. We had the grilled scallops over mushroom risotto and the venison chili. The bomb!!Special Features:
- delicious dinner!OpenTablenewbiesDined on 10/11/2014We found this lovely restaurant on Trip Advisor when planning a special evening out with friends at our vacation destination. Only a few minutes from where we're staying and highly rated, I was delighted to be able to reserve online via Open Table. Dinner was simply delicious - our party enjoyed the Hangar steak, the scallops, and a trout entree, some Argentinean malbec and a Crem brulee - all wonderful. Dana gave attentive but not intrusive service too. We will be back before we head home from vacation. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 10/11/2014Uniqiue menu which changes regularly. Some food choices you would not normally find. The food was nicely presented and tasted wonderful. The trout and the chicken dishes were especially delicious. Very good, attentive service. Not in your face, hello my name is .... and I will be your server. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Connecticut's BestBob2Dined on 10/11/2014We had an excellent dinner with four of us ordering different entrees arriving at the same time served by an excellent and well trained staff . Appetizers, wine and desserts were equally first class. The noise level was at a minimum whereby we could talk without shouting. While my wife an I had been at Cafe Routier before , our friends , who are experienced diners , who live an hour and one half away, were so impressed they are anxious for a return tripSpecial Features:
- Awesome!Dining4funDined on 10/11/2014The food is excellent along with the service. The autumn menu is great.Special Features:
- King of foodFoodking1Dined on 10/10/2014On a scale of one to ten...ten. I/we, love restaurants like this that still exist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWendyDined on 10/10/2014Excellent food, great service, nice layout..highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Did NOT disappoint!carrotDined on 10/6/2014Our recent visit to Café Routier was a delight! We enjoyed the quiet ambiance with subdued lighting. It was possible to have a conversation. Our server was attentive, friendly and competent. And the food was delicious!! We started with pumpkin soup garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds and yogurt jazzed with just enough lime. I had the scallops and my husband had the campfire trout. Both were perfectly prepared and creatively presented. We saved enough room to share a New Orleans bread pudding with bourbon sauce, surprisingly smooth and light for a bread pudding. We visited on a Monday evening so the restaurant was not crowded. We don't usually frequent expensive restaurants, but for a special occasion this was exceptional!Special Features:
- Great food & Great ServiceMikeGDined on 10/6/2014I had a business dinner here and the server was tremendously accommodating, friendly and attentive! The food was fantastic. Short ribs were some of the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- A lively spot with a unique menuShashDined on 10/5/2014Cafe Routier has an energetic bar scene as well as excellent service in the dining area. It has a three part menu--seasonal, ethnic and specialties of the house--and diners can mix and match as they please. The food, in general, was delicious, except for the steak, which was undercooked, though my husband and I had asked for a "pink" middle. These days the designations of rare, medium rare, medium seem to vary by restaurant. Pink, not red, should be clear. I asked for my steak to be returned to the kitchen, and the second time it was fine. The frites were crisp and delicious. The waiter took time to explain the selections very clearly. We will certainly go back.Special Features:
- Another Great MealJohnLDined on 10/4/2014We have been to Cafe Routier many times and it never disappoints. The food and service are uniformly excellent and the seasonal menu changes provide new things to enjoy.Special Features:
- Everything you could want,and moreSecondspleaseDined on 10/4/2014The environment was enjoyable, the staff was wonderful and the food was outstanding. I would certainly eat here again. Don't miss out on the turtle cake for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Menu, Delicious MealElizabethNHDined on 9/30/2014The three part menu is creative and unique. Our server graciously explained their approach and answered our questions with plenty of knowledge on preparation. Service was wonderful as were our meals. The downfall was the significant volume of noise from the bar area. It is obvious that they have a vibrant bar scene and the tapas menu in the bar must be fairly popular as well. Definitely worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!deep6oystersVIPDined on 9/27/2014An original rendition of clam chowder made us return for a second evening! The goat cheese and potato tart was outstanding - again, two nights in a row. Wonderful hot bread, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsdinewfriendsDined on 9/27/2014Food was good, waiter was attentive and atmosphere was comfortable. Nice time had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good As Always...AndyDined on 9/25/2014Haven't been able to get there as often as we like lately. Wasn't disappointed. Love those oysters!Special Features:
- Outstanding!DrJulieDined on 9/20/2014Cafe Routier was an excellent choice for our 20th anniversary celebration! The staff were attentive and thoughtful. The food was amazing and the ambiance was perfect. We can't wait to return and tell our friends about this spectacular place.Special Features:
- A little gem near the waterUncleDDined on 9/19/2014We have been here multiple times for special occasions and with friends. Unique menu choices with excellent quality and taste. Large wine selection and a great lounge area. If you are near Westbook this is a must have place to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Best!Dining4funDined on 9/19/2014The food is A+++++. The service is top notch. My family and siblings love to eat here. The bar is great fun too!Special Features:
- This place is greatjerry7790Dined on 9/18/2014This is my go to for customer visits. Great food not over priced excellent service it's the whole package. Make sure to try the musselsSpecial Features:
- elanaDined on 9/13/2014Beautiful dining room. Wonderful service. Menu is accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special nighteasypezieDined on 9/8/2014we have been to routier a lot lately. But I called them and wanted to wow a special friend who for now just beat a serious ailment and had some dietary restrictions and the kitchen and GM put a show on for us and we had a very memorable evening. These people care and they do their jobs well. what a night. thank you for going above and beyond routier. we'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsB1940Dined on 9/7/2014Cafe Routier is probably the most outstandingly consistent restaurant I've ever experienced! This applies to all categories--service, food, selections, etc. The additional good news is that you don't have to take out a second mortgage to have a wonderful full experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST ON SHORELINEOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014WE LIVE ON THE CT SHORELINE ALL SUMMER AND CAFE ROUTIER IS THE PLACE TO GO WHEN FRIENDS VISIT OR JUST THE TWO OF US OUT FOR A GREAT DINNER. SEVERAL YEARS OF GREAT MEALS AND NEVER A BAD ONE!Special Features:
- Loved it!FoodiefindDined on 9/5/2014We were very impressed by Cafe Routier. The seasonal and regional menus are a nice concept and offered some unique and beautiful dishes. The food was wonderful, and paired very well with our wine. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute decisionDinner42Dined on 9/1/2014Our go-to restaurant when we want consistent, quality food. Gourmet fries are a great way to get started. Excellent seafood choices. Waiter hand-stuffend olives for my martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a GemcookinpicDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed a lovely dinner on our Anniversary. The Duck was cooked to perfection and the Halibut was wonderful, such a nice presentation. Not to miss the dessert, the peach/blueberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream is to die for. Best restaurant on the shoreline with excellent service.Special Features:
- AmazingKermitsmomVIPDined on 8/29/2014We have dined here probably 20 times (see previous reviews). This is the most consistently excellent restaurant we have ever been to--and we have been to the best in NYC, Philadelphia, and elsewhere. We have never had a bad meal. We have never had bad service. The menus are inventive but not outrageous; there's a third of the menu with the tried and true; another third with seasonal specialties which change--of course!--with the seasons; and the final third with regional specialties which change every so often. The servers are professional, pleasant and informative. I can't think of a better place to dine on the Shoreline!Special Features: