1782 Fourth St
Berkeley, CA 94710Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.caferouge.net/
- Phone: 5105251440
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Brunch: Sunday 11:00am - 2:30pm - Interim: Tuesday - Sunday 3:00pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Rick DeBeaord Jr.
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs Mezzanine can be reserved for up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Natalia or Marsha 5105251440
- Special Events: $1.00 oysters Tuesday - Thursday from 5:30pm to 9:30pm, Friday - Sunday 12:30pm - close
A word from Café Rouge
Café Rouge offers the rustic fare of France, Spain, and Italy. American dishes are also featured. The restaurant's emphasis is on the preparation of fresh meats and charcuterie. The availability of the freshest fruits and vegetables influences the menu at Café Rouge which changes bi-weekly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
- Cafe Rouge is an institutionKrisVIPDined on 3/21/2013Cafe Rouge is an institution on Berkeley's Fourth Street and it's always a joy to visit whether for lunch, dinner or brunch. The food is expertly prepared and the atmosphere very friendly and comfortable. I look forward to my return.Special Features:
- Food was prepared excellently--veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2013Food was prepared excellently--very fresh tasting and originalSpecial Features:
- Good Goat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2013As usual. Good service. Atmosphere. Food. I had the goat charcuterie plate and loved the way Rouge does meat!Special Features:
- We came, we saw, we ate dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2013The food was great, the service was good but a little haphazard. I had the feeling that the waiter was covering more tables than he could handle. The atmosphere is nice, a little noisy, but not over-the-top. I'd go back.Special Features:
- Fourth time dining at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2013Fourth time dining at this restaurant. Food is consistently good.Special Features:
- we were seated upstairs. itchuckVIPDined on 3/9/2013we were seated upstairs. it was hot and dark. we had to get out a small flashlight to read the menu.Special Features:
- The vegetarian scrambled eggsMainlandfoodieVIPDined on 3/3/2013The vegetarian scrambled eggs and the turkey sandwich were very good, but the plate eggs and sausage were undercooked- the egg whites were watery and the sausage was barely warm inside.
- We arrived early and wereDspartanDined on 3/2/2013We arrived early and were still able to be seated right away which was greatly appreciated. All the food was good but the kale ceasar salad was the star of the night. We are looking to go back as soon as possible and highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Another great dinner at CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/1/2013Another great dinner at Cafe Rouge. Excellent steak frites, wonderful wine, friendly attentive service. Awesome leftovers!Special Features:
- Cafe Rouge has been aroundlocal4meDined on 2/27/2013Cafe Rouge has been around for years and is still one of the best restaurants in the 4th Street area. I was however a little disappointed at the food this time. There is always roast chicken on the menu and it is still very good. However, the barbecue pork ribs were very dry. The beet salad was pretty to look at, but it was all raw, including the beets that were cut in fine strips. I would prefer my beets cooked and in larger pieces. The hamburger came with nice crispy french fries, but the hamburger was not cooked to order. The two hamburgers, each ordered "medium", but came out "medium rare." Desserts ok., easily put together. The mini ice cream cones (2 per order) reminded me of the chocolate covered ones sold at Trader Joe's.Special Features:
- Cafe Rouge is my local. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2013Cafe Rouge is my local. Great bar and the only place I can get a perfect pomegranate cosmo, made by Ryan. The best hamburger anywhere, hands down. They have a wonderful meat market and a reliable menu, never had a bad meal there. My only complaint is that it gets so noisy, you can't hear the person across the table from you. That's why I usually sit at the bar or, when possible, outside.Special Features:
- Thank you for making Feb.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Thank you for making Feb. 14th special for my wife and I. You all did a wonderful job and the food was delicious!Special Features:
- We had our Valentines DayCharVIPDined on 2/14/2013We had our Valentines Day lunch here. The fresh oysters were wonderful and the presentation of the different varities made a fun experience. My flat iron steak was cooked to perfection. Service was exceptional.Special Features:
- Will return to cafe rougeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Food was good, the salads were fresh and interesting. The service was good, they took good care of our group of six. Pleasant atmosphere, would go for lunch again.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch - and a greatSJaneHVIPDined on 2/9/2013Lovely lunch - and a great staff, both front of house and our wait staff. I will definitely go back often.
- The service has greatly improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/6/2013The service has greatly improved which is much appreciatedSpecial Features:
- With a reservation our partyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2013With a reservation our party of two was seated between two parties of five who were the loudest tables in the restaurant. The restaurant is all hard surfaces and loud to begin with but this made for a less than pleasant dining experience. I hate to have to shout to be heard by my dining companion and this was on a Thursday night.
- Yummy food/ excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2013I went there with my boyfriend & parents when they came to town. Having never been there I was nervous about if my parents would like it. We all LOVED it. When we were there, we experienced a power outage from mid-dinner through dessert. Luckily they had candles! And the staff didn't miss a beat. We were able to have hot baked desserts & coffee service! And they were even prepared with old school credit card carbon copies. The food was wonderful (amazing steak) & the drinks were great too! Our waitress was very sweet and gave us just what we needed to know about dishes in advance (like having to work for the crab & which dishes were quite spicy). I thoroughly enjoyed my experience despite the power outage!Special Features:
- Cafe Rouge always deliversDrSummerDined on 1/25/2013Cafe Rouge always delivers great food--so many wonderful things to choose from. And the service there is top-notch--friendly, informative, but not intrusive. As the Open Table category suggests, a true neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Cafe Rouge is a perfect neighborhooStellaVIPDined on 1/18/2013Cafe Rouge is a perfect neighborhood classic. Reliable but adventurous food, good bistro energy, well-edited wine list, and solid cocktails. It is worth a trip from farther away, but if you're taking the train or shopping on 4th street, you really shouldn't miss it.
- Burgers are terrific, youLeoinSFVIPDined on 1/17/2013Burgers are terrific, you can taste the freshness of the sirloin. Portions are generous, and the wine list is decent. Great spot to have a bellini on a sunny day and eat at an outdoor table.Special Features:
- The food is always terrificmargiepargie123Dined on 1/14/2013The food is always terrific and the waitpeople are friendly and very knowledgable.Special Features:
- Fourth Street brunch of choiceGoPearsDined on 1/13/2013Our choice for Sunday brunch, they never disappoint. From creative omelettes, specialty salads, french toast, to their oysters and perfect cuts of meat, Cafe Rouge has always been one of our favorites in the East Bay. The wait-staff is also knowledgeable, unobtrussive and charming.Special Features:
- I rarely go to expensive restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/8/2013I rarely go to expensive restaurants and when I do I expect everything to be right. That means the ambiance, the service and of course the food. Cafe Rouge is firing on all cylinders in my opinion. Garth~Special Features:
- We met friends for a casualOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/8/2013We met friends for a casual dinner at Cafe Rouge. Their food is always good. The Cioppino was full of fish and seafood and had a nice kick to it. The cassoulet was delicious and their fries are great. Good value with their house carafe of wine. Good and reliable restaurant.Special Features:
- Food is always fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/6/2013Food is always fantastic. Service usually very good, but not good this time.Special Features:
- The only bad thing was thekellytownDined on 1/5/2013The only bad thing was the heat. It was very hot where they seated us upstairs, and they didn't seem to be able to regulate the it very well. Otherwise, the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great place! Service was wonderful.goyomasDined on 1/4/2013Great place! Service was wonderful. They keep the menu fresh. Quite a lot of meat and seafood with little vegetarian options but they are pretty up front about that (with the meat market). We've been here 3 times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- I go here often. The onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013I go here often. The only problem is the parking. They have lots of spaces but the 4th St. shopping area is extremely popular.Special Features:
- We like Cafe Rouge a lot,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/3/2013We like Cafe Rouge a lot, and their meat is incredible, but the one thing holding it back is the wait time. I feel bad putting only 2 for service, as the service staff itself is very nice and accommodating, but the last few visits have had exceedingly long wait times for food; even just for oysters. When it's crowded and busy on a Friday night, this is a bit more understandable, but even on a 50% capacity weeknight, same thing. Cocktails are pretty good, nice wine list, good oyster selection.Special Features:
- Great, as always.MamieVIPDined on 12/31/2012The hamburger and fries are always good. Great beef. We started out with a warm spinach salad - with fried hedgehog mushrooms and prosciutto. Pleasantly surprised by how well the flavors melded together - fat with more fat. YumSpecial Features:
- Very good food, but main courseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2012Very good food, but main course portion on the small side. And greeting by the hostess was not welcoming. I prefer sitting at their bar and having a bite there.
- Love the cassoulet!opentablegrubVIPDined on 12/30/2012The last three visits were to eat cassoulet. We did, it was great as usual, we will return (again & again). People who do not have an outstanding dining experience at Cafe Rouge are trying too hard to be unsatisfied!Special Features:
- Glad we had reservations asGreatVIPDined on 12/29/2012Glad we had reservations as it seems many people enjoy this place. Menu is not extensive, but selections each have unique local ingredients. Our server could tell we were not interested in a quick lunch an worked at a good pace allowing us to mix conversation with eating. We were seated in the mezzanine which I would request if I wanted to ensure a more quiet dining experience as the first floor seemed loud. Saldana and entrees were nice, but no room to try the desserts. Extensive wine list, but we opted for a carafe of the house white. A nice Spanish variety at friendly price.Special Features:
- Might have hit a down day?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/26/2012Quality food fit for Bay Area standards but that waitstaff needed more training. We weren't ready to order instantly. so we were treated to a 15 minute interlude with only menus and water, had to flag a waiter. We were a foursome, so we didn't need privacy just a few minutes. However the food was served hot and the table was bussed well so it was just the main waiter. I got the impression they were disappointed we didn't order wine with lunch. Overall I rate it a marginal ok for a business lunch. Mezzanine table area was too warm for us.
- Tried to make a brunch reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/23/2012Tried to make a brunch reservation for noon and the only available time was at 2:30. When seated the waiter came over and apologized, but essentially demanded that brunch orders go in immediately or we would have to order off the interim menu. The waiter, who was guaranteed an 18% tip because we were a party of six, was sloppy, tardy, served the wrong plates to the group, wasn't a bad guy but was so very undeserving of that tip level.. In addition, the selections for noise do not being to describe the experience - "energetic" is not appropriate. "Above 80 decibels" would be more appropriate. The food, fortunately, was good - everybody liked their selections.
- We were seated upstairs.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/23/2012We were seated upstairs. The server seemed overwhelmed with her section. Waited way too long for cocktails, pork chop came well done not medium rare as requested. The rest of the food was good.
- Restaurant was great. OnlyMarcilockDined on 12/22/2012Restaurant was great. Only problem was reservation. They did not have our open table reservation despite having a confirmation email from open table. The hostess was very accomodating on a very busy Sat evening. We were celebrating my parent's 56 wedding anniversary and they started our evening off with a complimentary glass of champagne. Service was a little slow, they may have been a little short staffed the weekend before Christmas but the staff was great overall. Particular appreciation to the hostess for handling a possible reservation disaster with grace and diplomacy. Open table-this is the second time that reservations did not go through for me. I think I'll be calling restaurants directly in the future!
- Long time favourite and itOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 12/16/2012Long time favourite and it only gets better every timeSpecial Features:
- We had Sunday Brunch and itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2012We had Sunday Brunch and it couldn't have been better. Great food, wonderful ambience and the whole 4th Street Holiday feeling.Special Features: