1020 Railroad Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401Neighborhood:
San Luis Obispo
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caferomaslo.com/
- Phone: 8055416800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For private parties and business lunches and dinners, a spacious banquet room, or Deruta Room, was built. The Deruta Room can comfortably hold up to 80 guests for either buffet or formal meals.
It’s a beautiful room, with fine Italian pottery, Italian drapes, furnishings, and linens. For weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, wine maker dinners, and every exclusive event, Café Roma’s Deruta Room is the Central Coast’s premier facility.
Let Maria Rosa Rizzo, Café Roma’s acclaimed founder; help you plan a memorable occasion. You can select a suitable menu, from cocktail appetizers to multiple-course meals, and complement your food with fine California and Italian wines.
We provide other services, too, such as:
- Private Party Contact: Marco Rizzo 8055416800x
- Special Events: Cafe Roma also features a large comfortable banquet room for private dining. Groups of 10 to 80 people may be easily accommodated. We specialize in lunch and dinner meetings as well as all special functions. Visit our website for private dining menu's.
A word from Cafe Roma
Cafe Roma is a quintessential San Luis Obispo experience. From its classic Italian dining room a casual old world bar to the scenic shade covered patio, people say you could be anywhere in Italy while dining at the elegant Cafe Roma. Our more than 200 wine list changes monthly, always with additions of new, exciting Central Coast and Italian finds. Count on our knowledgeable staff to help expertly navigate the menu and extensive wine list. Our kitchen is driven by the freshest regional and seasonal ingredients. This cooking is the heart and hand of Italy, an amazing compliment to the beautiful Central Coast. It’s not uncommon to see vintners dining at the bar. Sometimes Cafe Roma has the feel of a downtown Roma restaurant, other times it’s more like an elegant café in Greve.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Roma - Best Restaurants in San Luis Obispo ›
Cafe Roma reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)romantic (24)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (22)great for outdoor dining (19)good for groups (19)fit for foodies (16)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- great serviceeeeeDined on 9/14/2014The service was great and the menu has very interesting items, not just the usual. We took 5 college boys and they loved it. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at RomaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014We come to Roma because we know that it will be a great dining experience, every time.
- The best food in San LuisdevineDined on 9/7/2014Fabulous food and service, we highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Good food, lovely service.MinnamsVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a very nice meal here, it's off the beaten path in SLO and the patio is not fancy, but large and spacious and very nice for us and our dog. The pasta was delicious, not overcooked, with sauces that tasted fresh and homemade. And the servers could not have been nicer.Special Features:
- LarsDined on 8/28/2014I wanted to give my very best friend a very special birthday, and this spot filled the bill perfectly. And their candlelit dessert was the perfect finale....Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicehepkessDined on 8/24/2014Café Roma was more than expected. Very refined for a cowboy like me. Romantic atmosphere with a foreign appeal. The food and my stomach came out even, but we only had the soup and an entrée. More than casual for dinner, fine for lunch.Special Features:
- DNS1946Dined on 8/22/2014We had a very nice dinner. The appetizer (fried zucchini blossom stuffed with ricotta) and soup (four onion) were phenomenal. The entrees (veal marsala and chicken saltimbocca were really good, but not as stellar as the appetizer and soup. The potato and vegetables were not hot, but the server quickly brought out hot versions, allowing us to enjoy the entrees. The restaurant comped the cappuccinos, which left us feeling good about the overall experience. The wait staff were excellent (attentive without being overly invasive).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerLbarchitectDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary here. Had received a previous recommendation but thus was our first visit. Would come back. Great friendly service. Delicious meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindJJensenDined on 8/3/2014It was a last minute find that was amazing. The service was professional, curteous, and prompt. The special for the night was amazing..not to mention the soup of the night was the best onion soup I have ever had. The menu prices gave the opportunity to select a variety of food in my budget. I made it a point to tell my friends in the area about it as I left.. I will make this a regular place during my stays in San Luis Obispo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect DatenorcalsocalDined on 7/25/2014From the time we walked in the door until the time we walked out this place was perfect. All the staff were professional and friendly doing all the behind the scenes work to make for a quiet, beautiful and romantic dinner setting. The food was prepared with precision and care and all the ingredients were fresh and vibrant. The overall experience was a pleasure and I will definitely be back in the future. Thank you to the Rizzo family for creating such a wonderful atmosphere with delicious food to accompany it.Special Features:
- Buona Cafe Roma!GrammydinerDined on 7/22/2014Cafe Roma is a wonderful restaurant: prompt, friendly but unobtrusive service; a wide choice of entrees, carefully prepared; quiet and rather elegant interior and casual outdoor patio. The food is lovely, from homemade pastas to pizzas for the kids (and adults) to veal and fresh fish and seasonal vegetables. The wine list is extensive. We go there for special occasions and for leisurely lunches with friends. Excellent value.Special Features:
- LiluSatoriDined on 7/9/2014Waiter was slammed. Service is always slow there, but that night was rough. When ever we did see our waiter he was pleasant, as well as the other one that brought most of the food out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerMikeDined on 7/1/2014Great find! One of the best restaurants in San Luis Obispo. Excellent Italian food.Special Features:
- Great spot!CharlieVIPDined on 6/23/2014Very ekk presented restaurant with excellent staf; very knowledgable and caring. Food was well prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- Good food; Good serviceShorebirdDined on 6/21/2014We celebrated our 45h anniversary at Cafe Roma. The veal marsala, onion soup and penne with Bolognese sauce were very good. The Angel Hair Pasta was a bit too al dente for my taste and, while my husband's side dish of penne was swimming in sauce, mine was barely visible. At my request, the waitress did bring extra sauce, improving dish. Dessert, coffee ice cream covered in a hard dark chocolate placed on top of 3 sauces was outstanding. Our meal with overpriced with average portions. While not expecting complementary anniversary champaign or dessert as we had received at other restaurants, we did expect a smile with sincere congratulations instead of a cursory acknowledgement of our 45th anniversary.
- Awesome place for any occasionsdiningpleasureDined on 6/20/2014We had our first date at Cafe Roma in May of 1990, and it was an awesome evening, had a long waiting line but the owner came and gave us all a glass of wine while we waited to be seated, the food was outstanding, and dined there several times along the way; but we especially decided to dine on our 22nd wedding anniversary and the waiter was very attentive, the food and wine was superb, we will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like Italian countrysideNO2412Dined on 6/19/2014Everything was great! Ambiance, Food, cocktails, wine. We have a perfect evening.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Hadn't been for a while, took friends here for Fathers Day. The food was...ok. Not what we remembered, especially for the price. Disappointed.Special Features:
- Lack of focusDontgetoutmuchDined on 6/15/2014The restaurant did well until it got half full, at which point we were basically ignored. Had to ask for dessert/check, dishes weren't cleared, water glasses refilled. The butternut squash ravioli was so sweet, it tasted like dessert. The organic green salad was adequate, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Graduation Lunch at Cafe RomaDinaDined on 6/15/2014Overall, it was a good experience, friendly waiter, quiet atmosphere, and very reasonably-priced graduation menu with good choices. However, the salads were a disappointment, not fresh enough with a blend dressing was blend. The Caesar was definitely not very good, not crispy, looked and tasked like it had been prepared hours before if not a day before. Other than that, the chicken was moist, the pasta dishes were quite good as well as the desserts which everyone enjoyed. There is a also a good wine list. All in all it is a good family and big party meeting spot. It has also an outdoors area nice, which is pleasant for smaller parties. It is not a gourmet place but a middle of the road good family outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant overallmperezDined on 6/14/2014The staff, especially our waiter, was very friendly and patient with us when we split some meals. The food was delicious and was a good portion. I'm pleased that I chose Cafe Roma as the venue for my graduation dinner.Special Features:
- GradpartyDined on 6/14/2014Excellent service and food was superb. We tried almost every item on the graduation menu and liked every single item on it. We also had a couple botttle of wine. We had a reservation for 12 but 14 showed up and were accommodated promptly and had a great time.Special Features:
- A Big Disappointmentdisappointedx9Dined on 6/13/2014After a great recommendation, huge let down. Service extremely slow. Drink orders taken 1 hour after being seated. Appetizers came before drink orders given. Waiter did not advise that the 3 appetizers would not be enough for our party of 9. Everyone did not get to taste everything. After drinks orders, they finally brought a tiny bowl of bread and 3 pats of butter for 9 people. Finally a larger basket of bread and more butter was brought. Main dishes were better, but they did not go overboard on garnishes. It was graduation weekend, but they must have been understaffed with waiters and in the kitchen. No one wanted to stay for coffee or dessert. I was embarrassed for my guests and would never go back or recommend to anyone.
- Love Cafe Roma!NanooksDined on 6/13/2014Love Cafe Roma. Food was great for grad night. Nutella gelato, stuffed artichokes, sea bass, soups, risotto all are great!Special Features:
- Too good?Ti5mVIPDined on 6/6/2014We should probably explore more SLO restaurants, but it is so hard not to go to Cafe Roma when we are in town. The food and service were superlative again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentable/cafe roma lost our res.LostReservationDined on 6/5/2014Opentable and/or Cafe Roma lost our reservation for a very special birthday party. I was very disappointed and angry that they were not ready for 6 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute Favorite!!foodislifeDined on 6/3/2014A most unfortunate thing happened the last time I wrote a review for this special place, maybe because the wine was so good! My written review still stands but I mistakenly marked all as 1 star! That is most definitely NOT the case! From our first evening at Cafe Roma 15 years ago to our meal and service last night, our experiences have been consistently excellent! Marcus, our server, feels like family now and always selects the perfect wine for us! We never feel rushed, rather, welcomed to linger with details like a padded table under the crisp white linens, inviting us to rest our arms during after dinner conversations with friends! If you haven't been here, it is a must! If you do run across my previous review, just remember 5 stars!!Special Features:
- CarpaccioCandoDined on 5/25/2014The Harris Ranch Carpaccio was the best I have had. Great Manhattans too.Special Features:
- We should go back!DevilinaBuckVIPDined on 5/25/2014We were in town for a family reunion. I found Cafe Roma online and went. We loved it! I brought my twin 4 year old boys and we sat in the patio and whenever we heard a train we could watch them. They loved it and so did we. It enabled us to have a delicious dinner at a very nice restaurant with a little something for the kids. I would love to go back for a romantic dinner and sit in the bar. The ambience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 371 reviews are from the Cafe Roma reviews archive.
- Great Food and ambianceJb435Dined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day and even though we had arrived 45 minutes ahead of our reservation, they seated us immediately. Very accommodating! The duck breast was excellent; really well prepared, juicy not dried out as it sometimes can be. My daughter got the Pheasant Ravioli, which was likewise very tasty, and I had the Goat Cheese Ravioli, which was also very good, in a creamy sauce. Definitely will eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, reasonable pricesRich10598Dined on 5/10/2014This is a nice spot for a date or other special occassion. Adjacent to the SLO train station. Very attentive service and the food was excellent. I would return the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite SLO RestaurantPolyparentDined on 5/4/2014Our son is at CalPoly and we have worked our way through all the TripAdvisor recommended restaurants when we visit. Cafe Roma offers delicious Italian food using fresh local ingredients. Homemade pastas. Supports local winemakers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a difference some years make!CCRabsDined on 5/4/2014Cafe Roma used to be a "good" Italian restaurant. The transformation is complete! The food is now amazingly good, the wine list is extensive, and the staff is friendly and professional. They take care of a large group as well as they serve a romantic couple. Be sure to ask for the specials - the Osso Buco was incredible. And Tuesdays are half price wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & serviceOCFoodSnobVIPDined on 5/3/2014The service was good and the food was good, but neither really wowed me. This is a fine selection for an evening out when you don't want to make dinner. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deadlyappDined on 4/26/2014It's not the first time I've been to Roma - I enjoy it here, set off a bit from downtown and doesn't attract a lot of people downtown restaurants bring in. Showed up late - 9:00pm (they close at 9:30 technically) and the service and the food was still fantastic. They have a great wine list but I brought my own this time. I always recommend Roma to people who haven't been there.Special Features:
- Cafe Roma is excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Our party of four was greeted warmly by the staff. Our food and wine was outstanding! We will definitely visit Cafe Roma on our future trips to San Luis Obispo, CA. This was also my first time using open table, it was very easy and worked like a charm.Special Features:
- Cafe RomaCafeRomaDined on 4/20/2014We had a positive dining experience. The food was excellent! We each had a full course meal. Desert was the best. We had the Easter cake. The cake was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World CharmTexCatwillDineDined on 4/20/2014Our 4th visit with yet again wonderful food, excellent service and old world ambiance! While Mamma was greeting diners and seeing to our needs by opening the side windows for our dining comfort, her son was attentively overseeing the kitchen staff whom were producing mouth watering wonders! Marco, our knowledgable and attentive waiter, expertly explained our Easter Sunday specials and made several recommendations. The only thing missing was an appearance by the Easter Bunny, who had already hopped by hiding eggs for all the children to find scattered around the restaurant. We had a lovely time as a family should within another family's "home" restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for seniorsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014A good place to take an older person for lunch, as the entrance and outdoor patio are easily navigated with a walker. The food was very good and service was pleasant.Special Features:
- Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014It took almost 45 minutes from ordering to actually being served the entrees. It was not particularly crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.