1020 Railroad Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401Neighborhood:
San Luis Obispo
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caferomaslo.com/
- Phone: (805) 541-6800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For private parties and business lunches and dinners, a spacious banquet room, or Deruta Room, was built. The Deruta Room can comfortably hold up to 80 guests for either buffet or formal meals.
It’s a beautiful room, with fine Italian pottery, Italian drapes, furnishings, and linens. For weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, wine maker dinners, and every exclusive event, Café Roma’s Deruta Room is the Central Coast’s premier facility.
Let Maria Rosa Rizzo, Café Roma’s acclaimed founder; help you plan a memorable occasion. You can select a suitable menu, from cocktail appetizers to multiple-course meals, and complement your food with fine California and Italian wines.
We provide other services, too, such as:
- Private Party Contact: Marco Rizzo 8055416800x
- Special Events: Cafe Roma also features a large comfortable banquet room for private dining. Groups of 10 to 80 people may be easily accommodated. We specialize in lunch and dinner meetings as well as all special functions. Visit our website for private dining menu's.
A word from Cafe Roma
Cafe Roma is a quintessential San Luis Obispo experience. From its classic Italian dining room a casual old world bar to the scenic shade covered patio, people say you could be anywhere in Italy while dining at the elegant Cafe Roma. Our more than 200 wine list changes monthly, always with additions of new, exciting Central Coast and Italian finds. Count on our knowledgeable staff to help expertly navigate the menu and extensive wine list. Our kitchen is driven by the freshest regional and seasonal ingredients. This cooking is the heart and hand of Italy, an amazing compliment to the beautiful Central Coast. It’s not uncommon to see vintners dining at the bar. Sometimes Cafe Roma has the feel of a downtown Roma restaurant, other times it’s more like an elegant café in Greve.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Roma - Best Restaurants in San Luis Obispo ›
Cafe Roma reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (24)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (19)great for outdoor dining (18)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (15)romantic (15)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- BobbaDined on 10/25/2014Food and service was impeccable. Although the restaurant was extremely busy, the waiter took the time to explain the various dishes, wine list, etc. the bus boy kept our thirsty groups water glasses full and kept us aware of the SF Giants' fortunes in the World Series. There were nine of us at table, ordered eight different dinners, food was excellent, and was served without interrupting our conversations. Dessert was as great as the salads and main courses. Bellissimo!Special Features:
- AmieVIPDined on 10/25/2014We have dinner at Cafe Roma whenever we are in the SLO area and always enjoy it. There were six in our group and everyone enjoyed their meals. We always receive a nice greeting from the owner when we arrive which we appreciate. Service was also excellent.Special Features:
- very nice eveningGregDined on 10/20/2014cafe roma is a very nice restaurant in SLO ... good food, good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiter is #1casa1Dined on 10/14/2014Starting with are magnificent waiter marcus, his service, professionalism and knowledge of the restaurants menu specials and wines. Excellent service, food and atmosphere.loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- confused waiterHalbedDined on 10/13/2014Food was good, not great, but waiter brought the primo and secundo courses at the same time and then argued with us about this.
- Lousy service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014The worst service experience in years, waited 15 minutes for menu, 30 minute wait for waiter to approach our table, had to ask three times for water, food was good for everyone in our 8 person group.
- Avoid if you like quietlocalandfussyDined on 10/11/2014Good food, good service, VERY noisy. Good choice unless you like to dine where you can hear people at your table. Not a place for a quiet & intimate meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealFredDined on 10/11/2014There were a couple of large party groups so the noise level was very loud and distracting, but our waiter went out of his way to be sure the large group he was serving didn't interfere with taking our order and getting our food served in a timely way. It made a huge difference!Special Features:
- MichaelWDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I went to Cafe Roma on the advice of friend for last night in SLO. The food was great, the waiters were friendly and attentive and they make a great Tiramisu. It was the perfect end to a pleasant week at Avila Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food in a nice spotSteveVIPDined on 10/7/2014Outdoor dining overlooking the train station, palm trees, hillside. Caprese had 3 or 4 tomato slices, 2 of which were torn and ragged so not a good presentation. Pasta a little overdone, past al dente. Server was fine except left some spilled balsamic on the table all evening, pretty obvious as it's black on a light table top. Nice to go on a Tuesday though, half off bottles of wine which is a good way to try new things as there's some interesting Italian varietals on the list.Special Features:
- InconsistantSnapperDined on 10/4/2014Appetizer of calamari was insufficiently cooked. Minestrone soup was blah (needed spices). Entree of agnolotti was very good. Service was poor: too long a wait between soup course and entree; our waiter seemed to have too many tables to care for. This experience as not typical of this restaurant; previous experiences were much better.Special Features:
- Overall experience was 3-1/2 starsFoodEnthusedDined on 9/27/2014We got seated and served water right away but it took 35 minutes before our wine was served. Wine was fine but they didn't have ice in the chilled bucket so it got warm towards the end of our dinner. Appetizers were delicious, first course was great but the 2nd course was very disappointing. The veal marsala was bland and had little flavor. The potatoes and veggies were fine but the protein was dull. My girlfriends sand dabs were pretty bad. All you could smell and taste was fish, nothing else. the side veggies were fine but she couldn't eat the fish because of the overpowering smell and taste. There were also quite a bit of bones in it. Service was lacking and slow. We're used to having more attentive waiters at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- macaDined on 9/22/2014Excellent dining place with consistently good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good diningSeafoodquesterDined on 9/19/2014Welcoming. Service attentive and professional. Calamari appetizer excellent - fresh, tender,light. Swordfish special lived up to billing. If you are a chocaholic, by all means ask for theSpinach chocolate-covered mocha ice cream desert.Special Features:
- great serviceeeeeDined on 9/14/2014The service was great and the menu has very interesting items, not just the usual. We took 5 college boys and they loved it. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at RomaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014We come to Roma because we know that it will be a great dining experience, every time.
- The best food in San LuisdevineDined on 9/7/2014Fabulous food and service, we highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Good food, lovely service.MinnamsVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a very nice meal here, it's off the beaten path in SLO and the patio is not fancy, but large and spacious and very nice for us and our dog. The pasta was delicious, not overcooked, with sauces that tasted fresh and homemade. And the servers could not have been nicer.Special Features:
- LarsDined on 8/28/2014I wanted to give my very best friend a very special birthday, and this spot filled the bill perfectly. And their candlelit dessert was the perfect finale....Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicehepkessDined on 8/24/2014Café Roma was more than expected. Very refined for a cowboy like me. Romantic atmosphere with a foreign appeal. The food and my stomach came out even, but we only had the soup and an entrée. More than casual for dinner, fine for lunch.Special Features:
- DNS1946Dined on 8/22/2014We had a very nice dinner. The appetizer (fried zucchini blossom stuffed with ricotta) and soup (four onion) were phenomenal. The entrees (veal marsala and chicken saltimbocca were really good, but not as stellar as the appetizer and soup. The potato and vegetables were not hot, but the server quickly brought out hot versions, allowing us to enjoy the entrees. The restaurant comped the cappuccinos, which left us feeling good about the overall experience. The wait staff were excellent (attentive without being overly invasive).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerLbarchitectDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary here. Had received a previous recommendation but thus was our first visit. Would come back. Great friendly service. Delicious meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindJJensenDined on 8/3/2014It was a last minute find that was amazing. The service was professional, curteous, and prompt. The special for the night was amazing..not to mention the soup of the night was the best onion soup I have ever had. The menu prices gave the opportunity to select a variety of food in my budget. I made it a point to tell my friends in the area about it as I left.. I will make this a regular place during my stays in San Luis Obispo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 391 reviews are from the Cafe Roma reviews archive.
- The Perfect DatenorcalsocalDined on 7/25/2014From the time we walked in the door until the time we walked out this place was perfect. All the staff were professional and friendly doing all the behind the scenes work to make for a quiet, beautiful and romantic dinner setting. The food was prepared with precision and care and all the ingredients were fresh and vibrant. The overall experience was a pleasure and I will definitely be back in the future. Thank you to the Rizzo family for creating such a wonderful atmosphere with delicious food to accompany it.Special Features:
- Buona Cafe Roma!GrammydinerDined on 7/22/2014Cafe Roma is a wonderful restaurant: prompt, friendly but unobtrusive service; a wide choice of entrees, carefully prepared; quiet and rather elegant interior and casual outdoor patio. The food is lovely, from homemade pastas to pizzas for the kids (and adults) to veal and fresh fish and seasonal vegetables. The wine list is extensive. We go there for special occasions and for leisurely lunches with friends. Excellent value.Special Features:
- LiluSatoriDined on 7/9/2014Waiter was slammed. Service is always slow there, but that night was rough. When ever we did see our waiter he was pleasant, as well as the other one that brought most of the food out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerMikeDined on 7/1/2014Great find! One of the best restaurants in San Luis Obispo. Excellent Italian food.Special Features:
- Great spot!CharlieVIPDined on 6/23/2014Very ekk presented restaurant with excellent staf; very knowledgable and caring. Food was well prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- Good food; Good serviceShorebirdDined on 6/21/2014We celebrated our 45h anniversary at Cafe Roma. The veal marsala, onion soup and penne with Bolognese sauce were very good. The Angel Hair Pasta was a bit too al dente for my taste and, while my husband's side dish of penne was swimming in sauce, mine was barely visible. At my request, the waitress did bring extra sauce, improving dish. Dessert, coffee ice cream covered in a hard dark chocolate placed on top of 3 sauces was outstanding. Our meal with overpriced with average portions. While not expecting complementary anniversary champaign or dessert as we had received at other restaurants, we did expect a smile with sincere congratulations instead of a cursory acknowledgement of our 45th anniversary.
- Awesome place for any occasionsdiningpleasureDined on 6/20/2014We had our first date at Cafe Roma in May of 1990, and it was an awesome evening, had a long waiting line but the owner came and gave us all a glass of wine while we waited to be seated, the food was outstanding, and dined there several times along the way; but we especially decided to dine on our 22nd wedding anniversary and the waiter was very attentive, the food and wine was superb, we will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like Italian countrysideNO2412Dined on 6/19/2014Everything was great! Ambiance, Food, cocktails, wine. We have a perfect evening.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Hadn't been for a while, took friends here for Fathers Day. The food was...ok. Not what we remembered, especially for the price. Disappointed.Special Features:
- Lack of focusDontgetoutmuchDined on 6/15/2014The restaurant did well until it got half full, at which point we were basically ignored. Had to ask for dessert/check, dishes weren't cleared, water glasses refilled. The butternut squash ravioli was so sweet, it tasted like dessert. The organic green salad was adequate, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Graduation Lunch at Cafe RomaDinaDined on 6/15/2014Overall, it was a good experience, friendly waiter, quiet atmosphere, and very reasonably-priced graduation menu with good choices. However, the salads were a disappointment, not fresh enough with a blend dressing was blend. The Caesar was definitely not very good, not crispy, looked and tasked like it had been prepared hours before if not a day before. Other than that, the chicken was moist, the pasta dishes were quite good as well as the desserts which everyone enjoyed. There is a also a good wine list. All in all it is a good family and big party meeting spot. It has also an outdoors area nice, which is pleasant for smaller parties. It is not a gourmet place but a middle of the road good family outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant overallmperezDined on 6/14/2014The staff, especially our waiter, was very friendly and patient with us when we split some meals. The food was delicious and was a good portion. I'm pleased that I chose Cafe Roma as the venue for my graduation dinner.Special Features:
- GradpartyDined on 6/14/2014Excellent service and food was superb. We tried almost every item on the graduation menu and liked every single item on it. We also had a couple botttle of wine. We had a reservation for 12 but 14 showed up and were accommodated promptly and had a great time.Special Features:
- A Big Disappointmentdisappointedx9Dined on 6/13/2014After a great recommendation, huge let down. Service extremely slow. Drink orders taken 1 hour after being seated. Appetizers came before drink orders given. Waiter did not advise that the 3 appetizers would not be enough for our party of 9. Everyone did not get to taste everything. After drinks orders, they finally brought a tiny bowl of bread and 3 pats of butter for 9 people. Finally a larger basket of bread and more butter was brought. Main dishes were better, but they did not go overboard on garnishes. It was graduation weekend, but they must have been understaffed with waiters and in the kitchen. No one wanted to stay for coffee or dessert. I was embarrassed for my guests and would never go back or recommend to anyone.
- Love Cafe Roma!NanooksDined on 6/13/2014Love Cafe Roma. Food was great for grad night. Nutella gelato, stuffed artichokes, sea bass, soups, risotto all are great!Special Features:
- Too good?Ti5mVIPDined on 6/6/2014We should probably explore more SLO restaurants, but it is so hard not to go to Cafe Roma when we are in town. The food and service were superlative again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentable/cafe roma lost our res.LostReservationDined on 6/5/2014Opentable and/or Cafe Roma lost our reservation for a very special birthday party. I was very disappointed and angry that they were not ready for 6 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.