Cafe Provence - Brandon
11 Center St.
Brandon, VT 05733Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe Provence - Brandon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafeprovencevt.com/
- Phone: 8022479997
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Bistro: 2:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm, Bistro 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Barral
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: In 2010 opportunity came knocking at our door in the form of expansion. We decided to take it and further spread our roots in Vermont with Center Street Bar, a new private dining room, culinary theater and a perfect culinary marriage with Vermont Kitchen Supply.
- Private Party Contact: Jill McGrath 8777693024
A word from Cafe Provence - Brandon
Warm and inviting, casual fine dining at Café Provence is a truly memorable experience. Located in the restored historic section of downtown Brandon, Vermont—Chef Robert Barral, former Executive Chef of the New England Culinary Institute and The Four Seasons in Boston, crafts our seasonal menu to showcase not only his talents as a chef, but also highlight the best meats, cheeses, and vegetables that local farms have to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Cafe Provence - Brandon - Best Restaurants in Brandon VT ›
Cafe Provence - Brandon reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (13)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (11)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Unbelievable!cvufdinerDined on 9/14/2014I went for Sunday brunch and the food was amazing! Everything was cooked to perfection. The mimosas were great and the dessert sampler was to die for! I had to drive an hour, but it was well worth it! Can't wait to go again!Special Features:
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Care Provance has never disappointed us and this past Monday is another one to remember!!!! Many thank yous for a fantastic job! Both our dishes were specials that night and we can only hope they make the fall and winter menue even if they stay as specials. It is wonderful to be able to chat with the staff, they are wonderful people! It was my husbands birthday weekend which we spent in Vermont and neither of us would even consider dining at a different placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlennDined on 8/26/2014The food was excellent and the quantity sizable. It being a French restaurant, I was disappointed it had no cheese plate.Special Features:
- JayVtDined on 8/21/2014Service was very good. Food was good as well but the actual mussels in the shells for the seafoos stew were essentially non existent. That was disappointing. My only other suggestion would be better lighting in the parking lot as it was extremely dark.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014Outstanding food and service. Great value as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Always a pleasure to have Sunday Brunch at Cafe Provence. We make a trip over from silver Bay on Lake George in NY at least once a summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Excellent food, spoiled by very slow and unacceptable service. We were a party of 5 including 2 children (8 & 10) and found it unacceptable to have to wait nearly an hour for our starters after ordering. Tables around us were served before us despite the diners arriving later. What a shame a 4/5 start rating was sacrificed by poor service.Special Features:
- Fabulous saucesDonteatoutmuchDined on 7/14/2014My meal was divine. I wanted to lick my plate. The sauce was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placeLovefoodDined on 7/11/2014I highly recommend this little treasure. Everything was amazing with the exception of desert. Desert was just...ok, nothing outstanding. Everything else from the bread to our main course was perfection! Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealCrown1Dined on 7/6/2014We've enjoyed Cafe for a few years now. We like Sunday brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fish StoryVictualsDined on 7/4/2014The food at Café Provence was very good, as usual. My wife and I have been coming over the mountain and eating there for years. However, based on the recommendation of a friend, who had eaten at the restaurant the previous evening, three of the four people in our party had the ahi tuna. I was one of the very best meals that we ever had in a restaurant! The sushi quality fish was beautifully presented and perfectly cooked, but the highlight were the colorful and tasty julienned vegetables and the tasty sauce that enhanced the vegetables and the fish. Wonderful preparation and presentation!!Special Features:
- Nothing specialfoodiefanDined on 6/29/2014I had a tomato pie that was disappointing. A pile of field greens was covering most of the dish and the crust of the "pie" was hard and even difficult to cut. I would not order it again or recommend it to anyone. My friend had a burger that was allmost well done and not even close to what she ordered. The pizzas she ordered to go looked good. Don't know how they tasted.Special Features:
- Femme ExigeanteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014We found this is a nice local restaurant. Unfortunately for us, we were looking for a french restaurant to celebrate my partner's birthday. He loves Salade Nicoise, and that was on the online menu, but not on the menu when we arrived. They graciously offered to make one; however, what they made only barely resembled one - mostly mesclue, a couple of olives, salmon instead of tuna, and a couple of thin asparagus spears on top. The menu was primarily sandwiches, burgers and things like fish and chips. The dessert selection was good, but the creme brulee was as close as it got to being french. Again, nothing bad here, just not what we'd hoped for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't beat itpickypickyDined on 6/13/2014Café Provence delivers year in and year out; remarkably tough for a stylish restaurant to accomplish. Fresh tasty greens, artisanal soups, gluten free & veggie only options are highlights rather than gratuitous out of context place fillers. Old reliables like Vermont beef burger with seasoned fries, duck w/ savory sauces, high end thin crust pizza selections. Three dessert avoiders, we somehow found ourselves digging into hot berry crumble, chocolate bomb and sorbet selection. Wine list appears completely devoid of distributors' boring schlock; every bottle looked to be a little bit off the beaten path and offering value rather than RP scores or snarf appeal. Someboby there cares. Heading north in five weeks again; table's reserved!Special Features:
- Not to be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2014If you are visiting this area of Vermont, don't miss this restaurant. The food is excellent, service is efficient and friendly (but not overly friendly), there is a good selection of wines. Amazing to find such a place in a town as small as Brandon. I wish there a restaurant like this in my big city!Special Features:
- The following 188 reviews are from the Cafe Provence - Brandon reviews archive.
- Keeping up the good workFoodFanaticVIPDined on 5/16/2014The kitchen was in good form! Soft shell crab was excellent and a really special surprise to find on the menu. The signature dish seafood stew was better than ever. We never regret dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best dining in VermontLocalvoreWithWanderlustDined on 5/16/2014We had an exquisitely good dinner here from start to finish, superbly prepared and presented, and exceeding our high expectations. From the soft shell crab appetizer, as perfect as any I've ever had, to the spinach salad in a sculpted asiago cup (yes, edible, and delicious), to our entrees - a marvelous and creative duck and the magnificent seafood stew on risotto - to the rhubarb tart, every item was delectable and beautifully presented but without fuss or pretentiousness. The waitress was helpful in choosing a wine, attentive without being overly so, knowledgeable about the menu - and even gave us the directions for creating the asiago bowl at home. We never felt rushed and enjoyed the complete experience. Thank you, Cafe Provence!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great buffetsaveroomfordessertDined on 5/11/2014Went for the Mothers Day buffet. Food was great with good variety. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Creatively deliciouscosmogirlDined on 4/26/2014Excellent meal, excellent presentation, did not feel rushed. The bloody mary was the best I have ever had. We enjoyed our 40th anniversary dinner VERY much. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vermont French with a twistMsConsumerDined on 4/25/2014There are only a handful of world-class restaurants in Vermont. This is one of them. For foodies who are not averse to being pleasantly surprised at finding excellent food at good chain restaurant prices, this restaurant offers fresh local ingredients painted with a French culinary hand. The recent Restaurant Week lunch special included a tangy tomato soup with croutons, a choice of seafood stew, chicken Provençal or a vegetarian dish of barley risotto with local goat cheese cake. For desert there was a lovely ice cream-filled Crepe Suzette. All this for the special price of $10. This is only a week-long festival but the everyday value never breaks the bank. The wine list will not disappoint and service is always proficient and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great TimeenjoygreatfoodDined on 4/20/2014My family and I enjoyed the Easter Brunch. The staff was all friendly and helpful. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal...DinerDined on 4/20/2014Easter Brunch Buffet (not Bunch as suggested above :) ) was tremendous. Every dish was excellent and there was an abundance to choose from as always. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- MilesDined on 4/20/2014This is a real gem of a restaurant and it really has become the heart of Brandon. I love the wine tasting dinners and the cooking classes. Bravo to Chef Robert for really making it a community center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great buffetsaveroomfordessertDined on 4/20/2014Easter buffet was great... sat upstairs for the first time. Was nice but prefer downstairsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceMsMoxieDined on 4/11/2014My friend and I had a wonderful dinner. The service was truly outstanding, and the food was delicious as always. We lingered quite a long time and did not feel rushed at all by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure. Chef RobertLarryjgDined on 3/25/2014Always a pleasure. Chef Robert and the gang do not disappoint! Escargots en croute were wonderful, tasty and tender. She had the fish which was wonderful, and I had the tenderloin with the pepper sauce. Tender and flavorful. Wine was half price, so we got two bottles, one red and one white. Desert was a wonderful cake from Gourmet Provence, and we will of course be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014We spent a long weekend in Goshen and heard about Café Provence. We arrived early for our reservation but were seated immediately. We both ordered appetizers (French onion soup and a vegetable and mozzarella dish). They were both delicious. We both ordered specials (lamb shank and chicken pot pie) and again, both were delicious. Our server (I believe her name was Jessica) was great. We will definitely be back if we are in the area again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantHoneyBearDined on 3/7/2014Very charming restaurant with good food and good service. What else do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most excellent food, perfectlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Most excellent food, perfectly done and served. A bit pricey for a small town, but I assume they get a lot of skier traffic.Special Features:
- Cafe Provence RatesShaLeeALHADined on 2/25/2014The best duck we ever had. The polenta/scallop dish was well executed and the polenta was incredibly creamy. My husband and I shared the appetizer and were pleased when they split the plate into two separate and generous portions. Terrific wine list (especially on the French side). We happened to hit it on 1/2 price wine bottle night-- a terrific promotion that we were unaware about until the bill came. The duck was the best we've ever had-- crispy to perfection on the outside and tender on the inside with very little fat. The root vegetable puree surprised (and not necessarily in a good way) as it included ratatouille imbedded beneath the duck but on top of the mashed squash-- not a great combination. The flourless chocolate cake rocked.Special Features:
- Magnifique Cafe Provence!!GG7HDined on 2/22/2014This restaurant is like walking into one of the best bistro/cafes in France. It is excellent in all manners, but particularly the food. It is reasonably priced and exquisite. Nothing comes close to it. This chef is absolutely the best in Vermont!! I can't wait to visit the new cafe in Waterbury!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place in a small townPamelaDined on 2/21/2014Went 2 times for dinner on the 4 nights we spent in Brandon. The food was delicious, beautifully presented. The goat cheese salad was one of the best I have ever had, also the special - salmon Wellington - I had the first Night was amazing- beautifully presented and delicious. And the second night the lamb shank owner white beans Was also very tasty. I would highly recommend it. We would gave gone a 3rd night but they were closed for dinner On Sunday and Monday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with the girlsChickletDined on 2/12/2014Three of us had lunch yesterday. We all really enjoyed our food. Service was a bit slow but it was lunchtime so it is understandable. Cafe Provence is a wonderful place to have a leisurely meal. It is fun to walk around town afterwards. Nice little shops to browse in and all the people are very friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious!SkimomVIPDined on 2/1/2014We appreciated that the restaurant held our reservation while we traveled from out of town in a snow storm! We had a great table by the window with our own portable electric fireplace. The server and kitchen were great at helping two of us deal with food allergies -- they even had a gluten-free menu for our group member who cannot eat gluten. The meal was delicious -- especially the duck and lamb specials. We have been here several times before and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luke warmFredDined on 1/17/2014Everything I ordered came luke warm: French Onion Soup came on a "very hot plate", but even the top cheese wasn't hot. The "very hot plate" main dish which arrived had luke warm EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! the lamb shank, the mashed potato ( ugh - room temp) and the surrounding bean dish. Since we had limited time, even though asked twice if they could remedy the problem, I had to decline. However, my partner's dishes of pate and fish were a thumbs up! Only 3 other tables were being served during our early arrival. My great expectations were crushed.
- FantasticxfoodDined on 1/11/2014I love Provence! what more can I say! I have celebrated my last four birthdays there and enjoyed everyone of them (even when the lights went out one year due to a transformer in Brandon blowing out!) Karen K. LemnahSpecial Features:
- C'est magnifique!unhommefrancaisDined on 1/11/2014The food is always better than most restaurants. A slight deduction for uneven temperature of food being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013In this area of Vermont, we were pleasantly surprised to find a restaurant of this caliber!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerEatoutearlyDined on 12/26/2013We like to go out early. The specials list was ready. The escargot we shared with the warm bread was excellent. I would recommend any dish that comes with the mashed potatoes,they are that good. The serving sizes are BIG. We couldn't fit in desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better the second time!FrancophileDined on 12/20/2013We had a marvelous experience for dinner on Friday night. Two couples had different appetizers, entrees and dessert and everyone loved their choices. The biggest problem was trying to decided what to have from a fabulous menu selection. Mussels, escargot, French onion soup and salad were all a hit. The entrees included both chicken dishes, salmon and lamb. Everything was delicious. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.