Cafe Provence - Brandon
11 Center St.
Brandon, VT 05733Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe Provence - Brandon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafeprovencevt.com/
- Phone: (802) 247-9997
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Bistro: 2:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm, Bistro 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Barral
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: In 2010 opportunity came knocking at our door in the form of expansion. We decided to take it and further spread our roots in Vermont with Center Street Bar, a new private dining room, culinary theater and a perfect culinary marriage with Vermont Kitchen Supply.
- Private Party Contact: Jill McGrath 8777693024
A word from Cafe Provence - Brandon
Warm and inviting, casual fine dining at Café Provence is a truly memorable experience. Located in the restored historic section of downtown Brandon, Vermont—Chef Robert Barral, former Executive Chef of the New England Culinary Institute and The Four Seasons in Boston, crafts our seasonal menu to showcase not only his talents as a chef, but also highlight the best meats, cheeses, and vegetables that local farms have to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Cafe Provence - Brandon - Best Restaurants in Brandon VT ›
Cafe Provence - Brandon reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (16)notable wine list (15)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (7)romantic (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A French name without French foodfoodiefanDined on 11/16/2014The menu has a variety of offerings and surprisingly few French food items given the name of the restaurant. The space needs to be spruced up and cleaner. Food is often served cooled off by the time it reaches the table. Generally, it's a good place to eat and stands out in a rather barren restaurant landscape. If it was taken up a notch, it would be special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kitchen seems understaffedCaptKirkeDined on 11/7/2014We were seated promptly and got our bread and salad, which were very good, in a timely manner. We did not get our entrees until we had been seated for over an hour! This despite the fact that the restaurant was only half full! Imagine if they had a full house! My scallop special was excellant, except the side vegetables were room temperature. My wife's seafood stew was good.Special Features:
- a favorite placeclovisDined on 11/2/2014We need to be there every so often and this was one of those times. There was, as always, a nice pace to the meal. We serendipitously met with good friends and had a 25 minute drive home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfastbrunchgirlsDined on 10/19/2014I brought 3 friends for a birthday brunch. They had never been there before. We have been doing this 4 times a year for 10 years and have done every kind of breakfast/brunch place imaginable. They all thought this was at the very top of the scale in every aspect. Thanks for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Cafe Provence's best nighttastebudsVIPDined on 10/13/2014This restaurant was incredibly disorganized. The service was as bad as I've ever had in 40 years of dining out. We waited about 5 minutes (with a reservation) just to be seated. We waited about 15 for appetizers. We waited a long time for our main courses. But the waitress actually brought the same appetizers to us AGAIN. (Yes, that's appetizers served twice.) A waiter finally brought some bread and butter to us -- but after we had already finished our appetizers. My duck main course was dry and tough, as if it had been sitting around for a couple of days. There was no sign on the plate of the sauce the menu described for it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- F A N T A S T I CBrandonDined on 10/12/2014Have been to the restaurant several times and have not had anything but a great meal---food/service excellent Every time we are in Vermont it's a must that we dine here. They even mad a Vegan dish for my wife. *****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ONE OF THE BESTSallyDined on 10/12/2014LOVE THIS RESTAURANT! OUR MEALS ARE ALWAYS EXCELLENT! THE CHEF AND HIS CREW PUT ON A GREAT SHOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveVIPDined on 10/10/2014Just another nice meal at Cafe P. Always great service, super food, nice drink list, and they do not shy away from kids. Can be romantic as well as just a good neighborhood dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent food/ Overwhelmed staffVacationtimeVIPDined on 10/2/2014Our appetizers and main courses were well prepared with delicious with very fresh ingredients! Pumpkin soup and goat cheese salad appetizer- outstanding! Unfortunately, The service was lacking from every aspect. No welcome greeting upon arrival, water glasses not refilled, several servers waiting our table which resulted in no one paying attention to us. When our appetizers and then main courses arrived...no one checked to see if they were okay or if we needed anything. My entree while very tasty was quite cold. Not good for a fresh pasta dish.Special Features:
- GeoffreyVIPDined on 9/30/2014The food is outstanding and worth the 50 mile drive from Manchester, VT. There is a broad selection of dishes and especially attentive to seasonal changes. Somewhat heavier dishes as the weather turns cooler and prepared to perfection. Our party was disappointed in the service, which is generally outstanding. It was difficult to catch the attention of our waitress and when we did it was as if she were doing us a favor attending to our requests. This attitude has never surfaced in the past. I'm sure it was a "one off."Special Features:
- Just What We Were Looking ForVarvaraDined on 9/28/2014We were in Brandon for a family event and wanted to celebrate what had happen by having an elegant dinner at a fine restaurant. We got that and excellent service by a very friendly and efficient waitress.Special Features:
- Very good serviceWriterDined on 9/21/2014I want to like this restaurant, but every time I eat here I end up with a slightly upset stomach later. The menu is interesting, the food is well presented, the service is very good, but the food always seems to cause some gastrointestinal problems afterwards. Though Cafe Provence has some local items on the menu, the vast majority are shipped long distances. The escargot comes from Indonesia. The calamari is from the pacific. The pork is not from local farms (which are plentiful in Vermont) but instead are from the gigantic corporate agricultural system that treats the pigs inhumanely. The ecological thing on the menu was the local grass fed burger, but few people come to a fancy restaurant like Cafe Provence for a burger.
- SuzanneVIPDined on 9/17/2014This was a pleasant surprise to have had such a nice meal in such a remote area as far as we were concerned... :) We had spent the day touring on the roads of VT and NY and ended up in quite a nice spot. The food and service were both quite good...I had the gnocchi and my husband had the duck. The salads were good too, especially the spinach one swerved in a crsip cheese cup, well done!! We will certainly return when back in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to expectationskamoiVIPDined on 9/16/2014Have dined here several times. This time was a disappointment. Food was not flavorful and portions were small. Pizza was soggy; seafood stew looked very unappetizing.
- Unbelievable!cvufdinerDined on 9/14/2014I went for Sunday brunch and the food was amazing! Everything was cooked to perfection. The mimosas were great and the dessert sampler was to die for! I had to drive an hour, but it was well worth it! Can't wait to go again!Special Features:
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Care Provance has never disappointed us and this past Monday is another one to remember!!!! Many thank yous for a fantastic job! Both our dishes were specials that night and we can only hope they make the fall and winter menue even if they stay as specials. It is wonderful to be able to chat with the staff, they are wonderful people! It was my husbands birthday weekend which we spent in Vermont and neither of us would even consider dining at a different placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlennDined on 8/26/2014The food was excellent and the quantity sizable. It being a French restaurant, I was disappointed it had no cheese plate.Special Features:
- JayVtDined on 8/21/2014Service was very good. Food was good as well but the actual mussels in the shells for the seafoos stew were essentially non existent. That was disappointing. My only other suggestion would be better lighting in the parking lot as it was extremely dark.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014Outstanding food and service. Great value as well.Special Features:
- Will not disappointeatingoutDined on 8/18/2014My husband and I have been to may Burlington/Middlebury area restaurants but find Cafe Provence among our very favorites. The staff is alway pleasant, the food and wine are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Always a pleasure to have Sunday Brunch at Cafe Provence. We make a trip over from silver Bay on Lake George in NY at least once a summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Excellent food, spoiled by very slow and unacceptable service. We were a party of 5 including 2 children (8 & 10) and found it unacceptable to have to wait nearly an hour for our starters after ordering. Tables around us were served before us despite the diners arriving later. What a shame a 4/5 start rating was sacrificed by poor service.Special Features:
- The following 196 reviews are from the Cafe Provence - Brandon reviews archive.
- Fabulous saucesDonteatoutmuchDined on 7/14/2014My meal was divine. I wanted to lick my plate. The sauce was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placeLovefoodDined on 7/11/2014I highly recommend this little treasure. Everything was amazing with the exception of desert. Desert was just...ok, nothing outstanding. Everything else from the bread to our main course was perfection! Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealCrown1Dined on 7/6/2014We've enjoyed Cafe for a few years now. We like Sunday brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fish StoryVictualsDined on 7/4/2014The food at Café Provence was very good, as usual. My wife and I have been coming over the mountain and eating there for years. However, based on the recommendation of a friend, who had eaten at the restaurant the previous evening, three of the four people in our party had the ahi tuna. I was one of the very best meals that we ever had in a restaurant! The sushi quality fish was beautifully presented and perfectly cooked, but the highlight were the colorful and tasty julienned vegetables and the tasty sauce that enhanced the vegetables and the fish. Wonderful preparation and presentation!!Special Features:
- Nothing specialfoodiefanDined on 6/29/2014I had a tomato pie that was disappointing. A pile of field greens was covering most of the dish and the crust of the "pie" was hard and even difficult to cut. I would not order it again or recommend it to anyone. My friend had a burger that was allmost well done and not even close to what she ordered. The pizzas she ordered to go looked good. Don't know how they tasted.Special Features:
- Femme ExigeanteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014We found this is a nice local restaurant. Unfortunately for us, we were looking for a french restaurant to celebrate my partner's birthday. He loves Salade Nicoise, and that was on the online menu, but not on the menu when we arrived. They graciously offered to make one; however, what they made only barely resembled one - mostly mesclue, a couple of olives, salmon instead of tuna, and a couple of thin asparagus spears on top. The menu was primarily sandwiches, burgers and things like fish and chips. The dessert selection was good, but the creme brulee was as close as it got to being french. Again, nothing bad here, just not what we'd hoped for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't beat itpickypickyDined on 6/13/2014Café Provence delivers year in and year out; remarkably tough for a stylish restaurant to accomplish. Fresh tasty greens, artisanal soups, gluten free & veggie only options are highlights rather than gratuitous out of context place fillers. Old reliables like Vermont beef burger with seasoned fries, duck w/ savory sauces, high end thin crust pizza selections. Three dessert avoiders, we somehow found ourselves digging into hot berry crumble, chocolate bomb and sorbet selection. Wine list appears completely devoid of distributors' boring schlock; every bottle looked to be a little bit off the beaten path and offering value rather than RP scores or snarf appeal. Someboby there cares. Heading north in five weeks again; table's reserved!Special Features:
- Not to be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2014If you are visiting this area of Vermont, don't miss this restaurant. The food is excellent, service is efficient and friendly (but not overly friendly), there is a good selection of wines. Amazing to find such a place in a town as small as Brandon. I wish there a restaurant like this in my big city!Special Features:
- Keeping up the good workFoodFanaticVIPDined on 5/16/2014The kitchen was in good form! Soft shell crab was excellent and a really special surprise to find on the menu. The signature dish seafood stew was better than ever. We never regret dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best dining in VermontLocalvoreWithWanderlustDined on 5/16/2014We had an exquisitely good dinner here from start to finish, superbly prepared and presented, and exceeding our high expectations. From the soft shell crab appetizer, as perfect as any I've ever had, to the spinach salad in a sculpted asiago cup (yes, edible, and delicious), to our entrees - a marvelous and creative duck and the magnificent seafood stew on risotto - to the rhubarb tart, every item was delectable and beautifully presented but without fuss or pretentiousness. The waitress was helpful in choosing a wine, attentive without being overly so, knowledgeable about the menu - and even gave us the directions for creating the asiago bowl at home. We never felt rushed and enjoyed the complete experience. Thank you, Cafe Provence!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great buffetsaveroomfordessertDined on 5/11/2014Went for the Mothers Day buffet. Food was great with good variety. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Creatively deliciouscosmogirlDined on 4/26/2014Excellent meal, excellent presentation, did not feel rushed. The bloody mary was the best I have ever had. We enjoyed our 40th anniversary dinner VERY much. Will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vermont French with a twistMsConsumerDined on 4/25/2014There are only a handful of world-class restaurants in Vermont. This is one of them. For foodies who are not averse to being pleasantly surprised at finding excellent food at good chain restaurant prices, this restaurant offers fresh local ingredients painted with a French culinary hand. The recent Restaurant Week lunch special included a tangy tomato soup with croutons, a choice of seafood stew, chicken Provençal or a vegetarian dish of barley risotto with local goat cheese cake. For desert there was a lovely ice cream-filled Crepe Suzette. All this for the special price of $10. This is only a week-long festival but the everyday value never breaks the bank. The wine list will not disappoint and service is always proficient and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great TimeenjoygreatfoodDined on 4/20/2014My family and I enjoyed the Easter Brunch. The staff was all friendly and helpful. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal...DinerDined on 4/20/2014Easter Brunch Buffet (not Bunch as suggested above :) ) was tremendous. Every dish was excellent and there was an abundance to choose from as always. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- MilesDined on 4/20/2014This is a real gem of a restaurant and it really has become the heart of Brandon. I love the wine tasting dinners and the cooking classes. Bravo to Chef Robert for really making it a community center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great buffetsaveroomfordessertDined on 4/20/2014Easter buffet was great... sat upstairs for the first time. Was nice but prefer downstairsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceMsMoxieDined on 4/11/2014My friend and I had a wonderful dinner. The service was truly outstanding, and the food was delicious as always. We lingered quite a long time and did not feel rushed at all by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.