Cafe Provencal - Williamsburg
5810 Wessex Hundred
Williamsburg, VA 23185Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Provencal - Williamsburg
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafe-provencal.com/
- Phone: (757) 941-0310
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Ika Zaken
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The King Alfred Room offers private dinning for up to 28 people. Its medieval decor complete with wood burning fireplace offer guests and elegant setting for any occasion.
- Private Party Contact: John O'Connor 757 941-0317x
A word from Cafe Provencal - Williamsburg
Cafe Provencal offers guests fine, creative cuisine with friendly service and a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. Chef Ika Zaken prepares each selection using fresh local and quality ingredients making every main dish the perfect combination. The signature dishes have become the special meats that are slowly smoked using cured grape vines following the traditional southern France style of cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Provencal - Williamsburg - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Cafe Provencal - Williamsburg reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (57)fit for foodies (50)romantic (48)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (12)scenic view (8)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- JoeCVIPDined on 11/20/2014This is one of the best dining experiences in the Williamsburg area. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A calm evirnment and amzing cuisine.GlenMalVIPDined on 11/19/2014The chef is at the top of is game. The food is exquisite and served hot. The help is unobtrusive and helpful. The low noise level allow for one to enjoy fine dining and have interesting conversations. We high recommend this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond ExpectationsHomeishereDined on 11/11/2014We went to celebrate an anniversary and were extremely pleased at our experience. The service, especially the food, and the wine choices were wonderful. Definitely Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem of W'BurgAnonumuseDined on 11/8/2014Great place, located next to Williamsburg Winery. French trained chef and remarkable staff. Food is excellent and served with that European flair. Not France but one of the closets you will find on the East Coast. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentJackieVIPDined on 11/8/2014Delicious food and outstanding service. Our guest said the filet was the best he'd ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovefinefoodDined on 11/7/2014Another great meal at Cafe Provençal. I love that they always serve an amuse bouche before the meal. My husband and I shared the scallops and grilled romaine, followed by the lamb and ribeye. For dessert I had blueberry creme brûlée and he had the apple tart. Everything was amazing and our server was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Williamsburg EscapeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Significant other wanted to try this restaurant at the Winery and she was rewarded with a great meal and experience. Great service, food and romantic experience. Best part of a rainy day!Special Features:
- FabulousJohnPDined on 11/5/2014Very good food with fabulous presentation. The service was outstanding as well. This restauarnt is a little off the beaten path as it is located in a boutique hotel with the Williamsburg Winery estate. Well worth the short drive for a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:
- Could have been better....fllcDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I enjoy trying new restaurants and were very disappointed with the service at Cafe Provencal - Williamsburg. The food was decent, but the service staff failed to make this a special dining experience. Even though we had an early reservation and our server was working only our table for the first 45 minutes, the lack of attention, not knowing the specials well, lack of knowledge of wine pairings with the menu and putting the wine out of reach so I had to get up to refill my glass at one point, made this dinner unexceptional.
- Enjoyable experienceGreenFlamingoDined on 10/31/2014We visited Cafe Provençal for our anniversary and were treated wonderfully! We each received a complementary glass of champagne, which was absolutely delicious! I ordered the braised oxtail and my husband ordered the duck breast. Both were delicious, as was the apple tart for dessert. The restaurant was very charming and located in the lower level of the Wedmore House. I wish we could have been there prior to the sun setting to enjoy the grounds of the winery. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys good food. A great find and wonderful place! (One item of feed back to the chef would be that I personally would have enjoyed my oxtail served on the bone, however I can understand why others may not enjoy this.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2014My wife and I dine her on her birthday and everything was excellent. The atmosphere is elegant and the food was delicious. The cauliflower soup was one of the best ever and my duck breast was prepared perfectly. My wife enjoyed her salmon from the prix fixe menu. The service that both Carol and John provided made for a special evening.Special Features:
- Hidden GemtanukisanDined on 10/29/2014My wife and I were looking for something away from the Colonial area restaurants. We found this one via Trip Advisor. The reviews were very accurate. It was a great place for our dinner. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was equal to it. A little difficult to find, but that added to the pleasure once we got thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBurton35Dined on 10/16/2014The best of any restaurant or Cafe any where on the Peninsula. Should be rated in Zagat. and other rating services. I do not know what else I could say about this Cafe. This requirement of some many characters is a bit much.Special Features:
- Williamsburg Winery2fudeezDined on 10/11/2014Drive into the Café Provencal is through the Williamsburg Winery grounds. There are signs but they can be hard to see after dark. Once you enter the lobby, take the elevator down to the restaurant. At that point, you should be in good hands. Great food, staff, & ambiance.Special Features:
- felt rushed...foodfellaDined on 10/10/2014The meal started off very good with duck gnocchi and beet salad. Unfortunately it took a wrong turn when our main course came out 30 seconds after our first course plates were taken away. This ruined the experience for us since we did not have time to rest between courses. Overall the food was not on par with what we had there a few years ago. The tagliatelle was mushy and stuck together in one blob...even after 2 attempts it wasn't quite right. The Shrimp and grits which had been my wife's favorite dish on the menu was bland and skimpy on the bacon this time. Also noticeable was a lack of attention to detail on the table setting. Salt & pepper shakers were visibly worn....waitress was friendly and helped offset kitchen fails.
- Can't wait for next visitLoveGoodFoodDined on 10/9/2014I marked down ambiance because the decor was a tad clinical, lots of white wood and not much soft furnishing. We think it would have been very noisy with more clients - only three tables occupied during our visit. We ate from the $39 mid week special menu and were thrilled with our choices. Everything was cooked to perfection and very well presented. We tried the Hendrick Martini which was delicious. The featured wines complemented the food. Service was top notch. If we lived in the area we would make this a regular haunt.Special Features:
- Romantic, Wonderful EveningSmiltenDined on 10/5/2014Service was incredible. Our server Justin was incredibly respectful and prompt. Really great atmosphere, very beautiful. Attention to detail is exceptional. Perfect place for an anniversary dinner or for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Dianne KDianneKVIPDined on 10/5/2014Café Provencal is always a treat. The ambiance is French country and the food delicious.Special Features:
- Third Time and Keeps Getting BetterOatsDined on 10/5/2014Been to Cafe Provencal three times in the past 8 months for special occasions (birthdays, anniversary), and we couldn't be happier. The service, food, wine list, and ambiance are all outstanding. The seating on the windowed veranda is most appealing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Small hotel and restaurant atmosphere. Used quality ingredients. Waiter knew what was in foods. There were 3 of us with a variety of foods all done well. Blue crab used without too many ingredients used in crab cake which I consider a mark of good tidewater cooking. The scallops appetizer with Meyer lemon seemed a little salty to me but I don't use much salt. Molten lava cake used good chocolate and creme brûlée with vanilla and I think lemon grass were nice finishers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite New DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Just had our annual 'girls' weekend in Williamsburg -- this year a group of six. We unanimously agree that Cafe Provencal is our new favorite place for dinner in the Williamsburg area. Everything was excellent, and we WILL return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014One of our best meals in Williamsburg. Everything tasted fresh. We had crab cakes , grouper special, steak special-all were very good. It was dark when we arrived, but will come back in daylight next time to see the vineyards.Special Features:
- FabulousWallyDined on 9/14/2014Service and management are top notch. Wines recommended are perfectly matched with the food. Food is simply outstanding. All in the Wedmore setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lack of atmospherefoodie2VIPDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant is not that inviting, you walk in straight to a very high top bar where you are greeted. All I could see was the greeters head. The atmosphere has no theme and mixed matched. The main dining area is blah (all white) and feels like the restaurant is an after thought. However the food and service was fantastic. The restaurant is small overlooks the pool. For a restaurant this expensive, it should have the full package of food, service, atmosphere. We will probably go again at some point.Special Features:
- Food and Service both top-notchSharynDined on 9/13/2014We chose the restaurant for dinner with a group of eight. We were treated wonderfully, the service was absolutely first-class and the food was outstanding. This is a real gem in the Williamsburg area and we will go back again. The prices were what you would expect for a top notch dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent food and service. Table next to us was very noisy, and hostess was loud. Not an enjoyable anniversary dinner!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014The food was exceptional as was the service. We were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary. This was our first time there but it will definitely not be the last. A hidden gem !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Ambiance, ExquisiteluvfoodDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at the Cafe Provencal last weekend. What a great find! Located on the grounds of a winery it is not surprising that it has an extensive wine list. The headwaiter, John, was very knowledgeable as to wine paring, taking note of our stated tastes and made an excellent recommendation to compliment our meal. (John deftly made us entirely comfortable with the selection process. Whew!) The menu is quite distinctive and very appetizing. My wife found the salmon filet irresistible (she insists that it is the best she's ever had!) I chose my perennial favorite - filet mignon. I don't know where the chef finds this beef, but it almost melts in my mouth. It's in a class by itself! Just delightful.Special Features:
- RomanticDonKrisDined on 9/6/2014This was our second visit to the cafe Provençal and it didn't disappoint. My wife and I spent the night at Wedmore place and walked downstairs to dinner. The food and service were phenomenal. Thanks againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- akumal2akumal2Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I met two other couples there for a first-time experience. It is a beautiful restaurant at the Williamsburg Winery which is a lovely setting for the restaurant. We were greeted warmly and quickly and shown to our table. Our waiter, David, was marvelous! The food choices were interesting and everything we ordered was delicious! We would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Great food, wonderful service in a lovely setting!Special Features:
- One of best in Williamsburg AreaSpiceGirlDined on 8/29/2014We moved to Williamsburg a year ago and were decrying the dearth of good restaurants. So glad we saw the ad for Cafe Provencal in the local magazine and decided to give it a try. Now I no longer HAVE to drive to Wash DC to get great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlenMalVIPDined on 8/26/2014Attentive and timely service and excellent food as always.Special Features:
- Very NicegreatchoiceDined on 8/23/2014This was a great spot to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Food and service were excellent. very enjoyable wine for a region of Otaly not often found here in the US.. Complimentary glass of champagne was a treat.Special Features:
- Great DinnerTiHammerDined on 8/23/2014My daughter is a senior at William & Mary, and we have eaten at many restaurants in the area. This is definitely one of the better ones. Very nice setting at The Williamsburg Winery and only 10 minutes from CW- less from the college I started with tomato soup with blue cheese, a special. Great flavors and the homemade croutons were crisp on the outside and the inside melted in my mouth with the soup. Great flavor in crab cakes which were full of crab and not a single piece of shell. My wife raved about here steak being done perfectly and with great flavor. Her salad was fresh and crisp with cheese, nuts, and dried cranberries. My daughter's food disappeared quickly. Broad wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special occasionHokie72Dined on 8/22/2014We came to celebrate my wife's birthday and surprised by the ambiance, great food, and good service. We had a great time at Cafe Provencal. When the staff overheard that we were celebrating a birthday, they brought the whole party a glass of champagne. The reservations were at 0700 pm and the resturant was not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe ProvençalLovefinefoodDined on 8/22/2014Cafe Provençal was fantastic from start to finish. Before dining, we did the wine tour and tasting at the Williamsburg Winery on the property. We then went next door where the restaurant is located and we were escorted to the elevator. The service was impeccable from start. Food was great. We had the scallops and burrata appetizers and chose the lamb and duck entrees- all were delicious and perfectly cooked. My one small critique is the wines offered by the glass- the only options are the local wines from the winery, which are fine, just would have liked a few other options as well. They do however offer a special- a white and a red from another region by the glass, which was nice. We are looking forward to dining at Cafe Provençal again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love2dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We had a lovely experience. Prior to dinner, we took the winery tour which enhanced the overall experience. We would definitely bring out of town guests to dine with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestArtInHistoricTriangleDined on 8/8/2014Cafe Provencal is the romantic place for a couple's night out and also has a quiet atmosphere that makes it a perfect place for two friends to chat and catch up. I hosted my husband's 70th birthday here in a private room (15 guests.) I have also enjoyed Christmas Day lunch here with my family. The food has been perfect every time. Wine choices are interesting and the bar also makes a great cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!date2nightDined on 8/2/2014Best duck I have had on a long time, cooked perfectly. Also had the crab & corn chowder, it was super. The special Capri salad was unforgettable! Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.